Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lynch gave the audience enough fabric to make 150% of a story blanket, but only weaved 75% of it for us. The audience is "the dreamer" and it's up to everyone individually to take those dangling threads, find our own meaning, and weave the rest in our heads. It's a reverse Inland Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Episode 17 was great

18 was ok

FWWM sucks rear end

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That ending was pretty good, the only way it would've been better is if it would've ended Scooby Doo style and Good Cooper rips off Bad Cooper's mask to reveal Donna as the real series villain.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
The best thing to do is just pretend episode 18 isn't canon

Or the whole season really

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

The best thing to do is just pretend episode 18 isn't canon

Or the whole season really

This is completely your prerogative, since you’re the dreamer.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

This is completely your prerogative, since you’re the dreamer.

I don't know what's real anymore :(

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Jiao Dai is Chinese for “the explanation.” We’re all the dreamer, looking for Judy. It’s up to you to figure Judy, and the last episode, and the series as a whole, out for yourself. Cause Lynch isn’t gonna talk about Judy. In fact, he’s gonna leave Judy out of this. Episode 18 is a world free of him being forced to introduce Judy, explanation, by studio interference, which hit the original show like an atom bomb when they forced him to create Bob to answer who killed Laura Palmer. The new show, and new reality in that episode, never had that question or answer, but a whole new set of mysteries that they are never going to spell out for us.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Zmej posted:

like, Dougie vs. evil Cooper would have been so much better than whatever we get tomorrow.
I was half-joking but turns out I was more right than I could have ever imagined lol

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
The only part of the season I didn't like was Albert didn't get to be a condescending prick to a bunch of country bumpkins

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

They could have had Albert and Truman stare each other down for two or three minutes

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Kuato posted:

The only part of the season I didn't like was Albert didn't get to be a condescending prick to a bunch of country bumpkins

Did you miss all the scenes in South Dakota?

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

Kuato posted:

Have you seen The Night Flier? It's mostly Miguel Ferrer going around being a condescending prick to a bunch of country bumpkins... while chasing a vampire in an airplane. It's a dumb movie but Miguel Ferrer is loving great. No one could play an rear end in a top hat like him. :rip:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I want to see a spin-off just about Dougie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Vastarien posted:

Have you seen The Night Flier? It's mostly Miguel Ferrer going around being a condescending prick to a bunch of country bumpkins... while chasing a vampire in an airplane. It's a dumb movie but Miguel Ferrer is loving great. No one could play an rear end in a top hat like him. :rip:

I love Miguel Ferrer's little speech about learning to kill again in Hot Shots Part Deux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xVSYrZsnsQ

RIP to a legend.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

gently caress GENE KELLY YOU MOTHERFUCKER

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Vince MechMahon posted:

Did you miss all the scenes in South Dakota?

I don't recall those being as good as season 1--it's been a few months since I've seen those.

And I'll have to check that movie out.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

I want a spinoff about the Mitchum Brothers, Candie, Sandie, and Mandie.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Egbert Souse posted:

e:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

This too.. There's always this weird-rear end tension whenever Candie's onscreen that was awesome.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Dougie is promoted and ends up being lead investigator of insurance claims... basically to Lucky 7 Insurance as Dale Cooper was to the FBI.

The Mitchum Brothers would be like Ben and Jerry from original Twin Peaks. They're trying to be good gangsters after their experience.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Oldstench posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i don't think it was all 'richard's' dream. why did laura hear sarah yelling her name and scream? what are the odds richard the dreaming fbi agent would fixate on a waitress (who he hasn't spoken to) who doesn't know for sure who her parents are? why does richard have any concern for twin peaks? that mother-possessing-sarah did something while coop was trying to save laura seems more likely. but where does that leave the show? kind of with a non-ending.

also post world transition i found the tone change jarring and creepy. i might just be projecting but it seemed like people acted differently, more like some gritty depressing movie trying to ape a bit of cormac mccarthy. it made the final scene unexpectedly disturbing, after what fluffy nonsense most of ep 17 felt like.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Neurosis posted:

also post world transition i found the tone change jarring and creepy. i might just be projecting but it seemed like people acted differently, more like some gritty depressing movie trying to ape a bit of cormac mccarthy. it made the final scene unexpectedly disturbing, after what fluffy nonsense most of ep 17 felt like.
I noticed it right away and thought "Wait, is this a flashback? Is that Bad Coop?" Everything after the transition felt like a stomach-churning nightmare.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
So as far as I can tell, Coop is Severian uncaught in time. The Lodge inhabitants are all Cacogens, some assisting him and others working against him. Carrie Page is likely another incarnation of Tzadkiel and Judy is either Typhon or Baldanders.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Atlas Hugged posted:

So as far as I can tell, Coop is Severian uncaught in time. The Lodge inhabitants are all Cacogens, some assisting him and others working against him. Carrie Page is likely another incarnation of Tzadkiel and Judy is either Typhon or Baldanders.

I think Carrie is actually Laura and it's not like that. Laura seems to be an ordinary person in most ways despite being spawned from a glowing orb made by a giant.

Also Tzadkiel always seemed a little more benevolent than anything in Twin Peaks (though I have read reasonable arguments the Hierodules are evil insect things with nothing good mean for humanity)

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
who owned the building in the beginning and what were they doing? was coop or something else expected to emerge there?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Neurosis posted:

I think Carrie is actually Laura and it's not like that. Laura seems to be an ordinary person in most ways despite being spawned from a glowing orb made by a giant.

Also Tzadkiel always seemed a little more benevolent than anything in Twin Peaks (though I have read reasonable arguments the Hierodules are evil insect things with nothing good mean for humanity)

Sure Carrie is Laura, but Tzadkiel takes many forms as she judges the value of Man. The question is did Cooper pass or not? Will he return to Twin Peaks a castrated and literally impotent agent, to pass on his knowledge to the next claimant or has he demonstrated that mankind is worthy to enter the stars and neighboring dimensions alongside the Lodge Inhabitants?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The owls are not what they seem.

"Briggs good. Where head?"

DrChu
May 14, 2002

TwoDougs1Coop posted:

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

The audience is "the dreamer" and it's up to everyone individually to take those dangling threads, find our own meaning, and weave the rest in our heads

During that black fade I was like, no, please be more, please give me more. But no. I've been left in the wilderness to find my own way. As it should be.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Nah. Laura is the dreamer. Thinkabboudit. She manifests her knight in shining armor as an FBI agent in her dreams to take her away from her abusive father who she dissociates with a denim clad set designer turned actor as her form of denial. The whole series was in her head this whole time. All the surrealism, wacky hijinx, 4th wall breaking meta references were nothing more than some poor abused girl's dream.

Or I could be wrong and David Bowie really is a tea kettle irl but what do I know?

Commie Lasorda fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 5, 2017

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Got to admit, Agent Cooper reading the "Dear Richard" letter made me a-lol.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Most of the dangling plot threads don't bother me, but not knowing what was going on with Audrey did. Where was she and what was going on with her?

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Still, outside of the super-long sex scene where they mostly showed Laura Dern's spine, I thought the final episode was good. I especially liked the tone change after the sex scene. It was pretty dark and depressing, which was good. Cooper was acting strangely, and it was confusing and disorienting, which was also good.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

scott zoloft posted:

who owned the building in the beginning and what were they doing? was coop or something else expected to emerge there?

We did see a photo of Evil Coop in front of the glass box. I think the assumption is that he owned it and he was trying to find Mother/Judy

polishthunder84
Jul 29, 2014

You feel it too, don't you?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I was kind of bummed by episode 8 because even though it's a masterpiece it also "explained too much." The fact that all that explanation is nothing in the grander scheme of the show's scope is so drat awesome.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Twin peaks is a comedy about a traumatic rape

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Diane is evil and hosed Cooper into the wrong timeline or Blacklodge hellscape.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

The Dennis System posted:

Still, outside of the super-long sex scene where they mostly showed Laura Dern's spine, I thought the final episode was good. I especially liked the tone change after the sex scene. It was pretty dark and depressing, which was good. Cooper was acting strangely, and it was confusing and disorienting, which was also good.

cooper seemed to have elements of both good and evil cooper. his line delivery and generally fairly distant demeanour were like evil cooper, but he still seemed to care about others, and he seemed dismayed at seeing the corpse in new laura's house and distressingly confused at the end.

i agree on the tone change. episode 17 seemed way too cheesy and fluffy a way to tie things up, then the jarring change in 18 re-established the feelings of horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Neurosis posted:

i agree on the tone change. episode 17 seemed way too cheesy and fluffy a way to tie things up, then the jarring change in 18 re-established the feelings of horror.
I dunno, I thought it was pretty funny how easily the Bad Coop thing got tied up, as if to demonstrate that it was only a small distraction from Cooper's real concern, which was to find Laura (his serious face superimposed over the whole event seeming to imply that his mind was somewhere else during the whole ordeal)

• Locked thread