Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Is there a way to get cid on war room

Nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Alpha Phoenix posted:

And the players who thrive on making their own weird lists [There's a M:TG name for this, I forget] are having less subjective fun because of it.

I believe you're talking about Johnny! The three player archetypes that M:TG has talked about for card design are:

Spike - Wants to win. Only wants to win. All else is secondary. Doesn't care about creative play or winning big or with style, just winning.

Timmy - Wants to win big or with style. Will play a lot more "live the dream" type feast-or-famine style decks (or army comps) and is fine losing more than they win if they sometimes get to do something kickin rad and win in an awesome way.

Johnny - Cares about creativity and playing the game as a means of personal expression. Or, as a friend of mine who is the Johnniest Johnny I have ever known put it to me, "it's not about winning, [Mag], it's about playing a beautiful game."

Personally I'm a Timmy/Spike. I largely view list building as a puzzle of mechanics to solve or game to 'win', and I like to win, but I also love it when a plan comes together and I pull off something awesome.

Magres fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 30, 2017

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Really missed out not going with Ed, Edd and Eddy. What's this spike and Jimmy bullshit, not even a Buffy reference

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Huh thought I saw someone with it

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Magres posted:

I believe you're talking about Johnny! The three player archetypes that M:TG has talked about for card design are:

Spike - Wants to win. Only wants to win. All else is secondary. Doesn't care about creative play or winning big or with style, just winning.

Timmy - Wants to win big or with style. Will play a lot more "live the dream" type feast-or-famine style decks (or army comps) and is fine losing more than they win if they sometimes get to do something kickin rad and win in an awesome way.

Johnny - Cares about creativity and playing the game as a means of personal expression. Or, as a friend of mine who is the Johnniest Johnny I have ever known put it to me, "it's not about winning, [Mag], it's about playing a beautiful game."

Personally I'm a Timmy/Spike. I largely view list building as a puzzle of mechanics to solve or game to 'win', and I like to win, but I also love it when a plan comes together and I pull off something awesome.

So, you describe yourself as a Timmy, but actually the 'puzzle of mechanics / pulling off a plan' is DEFINITELY a more Johnny trait. Timmy is more 'pay more to get more, have the biggest / most powerful'. And its only something I point out because of something I noticed yesterday.

In Magic there is also a fourth player archetype, that is a little different from the others (but equally valid) called 'Vorthos'. Vorthos is concerned with the story, the art, the setting, the fluff.

What I realised, is that the difference between Warhammer 40k and Warmachine, is that 40k almost exclusively caters to Vorthos and Timmy players, with basically no room for Johnny or Spike, whereas Warmachine caters almost exclusively to Johnny and Spike ignoring Timmy and Vorthos.

In 40k, you generally read or have read a bunch of stories, and come up with a background for your army, to justify your colour scheme and any kitbashed models you might make, plus your fluff probably informs your unit composition and which characters you might allow yourself to take, before you've even looked at what's "good". You might not even actually ever buy a single model of that army, but you'd still probably think you 'play' that army, because of the time spent on all the fluffy bits. (VORTHOS). Then when you play, the entire game is rolling TONS of dice and hoping to roll a million sixes. (TIMMY). Who goes first is random (and massively dictates who wins, frequently units / vehicles are destroyed on turn one) and there's a huge amount of luck involved. (Bad for SPIKE). There aren't really a ton of rules except for how you deal damage, so there isn't really a lot of opportunity for 'combos'. (Bad for JOHNNY).

Conversely in Warmachine, there's TONS of different rules interactions such that its typical to have a 'Rube Goldberg turn' which is absolutely textbook JOHNNY stuff. The game is SUPER polished and has been designed from the get go to be a tournament game, which is all sorts of SPIKE.
You are not really supposed to veer away from the house paint scheme, there's no real poseability or customisation of the models, and the fluff is all very much in place for your army. While there are flavoursome team ups by and large represented in the rules (warjack bonds, Rutger Shaw + Taryn interactions etc) it tends to feel like its from a 'rules first' persepective than a flavour one, all of which means there's not a great deal of fun in the actual game for VORTHOS. You can take spam lists and you can take colossals, which I would say is pretty TIMMY, but there isn't actually much in the way of gameplay that lets you make 'Bigger' plays. (Closest thing would be I guess weaponmasters?).

The main reason I found this interesting is because I'd taken a break from Warmachine and had dipped my toes into the obviously inferior 40k but was having a blast, and couldn't really articulate why. Seeing it laid out with this nuance helped me understand the different itch it was scratching.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 30, 2017

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Don't theme lists cater to Vorthos to an extent? They get to run their flavorful subset of a faction and get rewarded for doing so instead of completely goodstuff- minmaxing.

Vorthos is the one who got huffy when they announced mk3 Minion rules instead of going "Oh sweet I can take a meat roller and posse together"

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Timmy totally gets to have double collosal lists

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

So I guess I am a Timmy since the Xerxis 2 4 huge base list makes me all giddy?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Arguably, pulling a Goldberg like scheme off and nailing a caster kill from nowhere can be equally Timmy: it fits the "winning with flair" part.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Which of the four is choleric?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Iceclaw posted:

Arguably, pulling a Goldberg like scheme off and nailing a caster kill from nowhere can be equally Timmy: it fits the "winning with flair" part.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying winning with flair is Johnny. "Playing the beautiful game". Timmy is more like, winning by shooting everything you have off the board with eCaine's feat in one turn. A big play.

The old mk2 themes that hamstrung you but gave weird bonuses were kinda Vorthos, but the new ones are less about actual themes and more about playable army compositions.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Mk1 themes, and part of Mk2 are Vorthos. Mk3 ones are Spike.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

All I care about is getting a new drat Convergence theme. Also I'm really excited about their new caster.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
I want more in general for CoC. How about more than two decent infantry unit choices. Something so every list isn't auto include two engines.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Well whaddya know!

http://privateerpress.com/community/privateer-insider/insider-08-31-2017

e: If anyone is selling Enigma foundries hit me the gently caress up

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

S.J. posted:

Well whaddya know!

http://privateerpress.com/community/privateer-insider/insider-08-31-2017

e: If anyone is selling Enigma foundries hit me the gently caress up

My local CoC player is so excited to play this. I also like how its changing up the theme list issues that we have been seeing. Hopefully the rest will continue this style.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Yes exactly what was needed for a theme list. Glad I kept my 4 enigmas from mk2.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

For_Great_Justice posted:

Yes exactly what was needed for a theme list. Glad I kept my 4 enigmas from mk2.

Flashbacks of playing Meat Mountain into Axis infantry with 4 enigma foundries. :negative:

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

:suicide:

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Enigma Foundries are probably nearly worth 0 points after the nerf, so I suppose I could see finally playing them again with that theme.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

They really do need to be 3-4 to get much out of them. If your opponent kills more souls then they take things go to hell fast.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
What weirdo formats do people like? We've played too much spell draft, time for something else weird.

Thinking about doing a traitor event where you pick a warnoun from a faction that isn't yours - is that stupidly broken at first glance?

What else is there? Who's the Boss is pretty cool.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Grind :v:

I like grind, but no-one else around likes grind. That's probably more related to everyone moving / being otherwise busy, though.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

xiw posted:

What weirdo formats do people like? We've played too much spell draft, time for something else weird.

Thinking about doing a traitor event where you pick a warnoun from a faction that isn't yours - is that stupidly broken at first glance?

What else is there? Who's the Boss is pretty cool.

I forget the name of the format, you get three warnouns from one faction and that's it.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Trying to think of a Gyrmkin conversion for the Oath thread's monthly jurnal. I'm thinking trying to take a Skin and Moans and then turn their blade into giant scissors. Any other ideas?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Pyrolocutus posted:

Trying to think of a Gyrmkin conversion for the Oath thread's monthly jurnal. I'm thinking trying to take a Skin and Moans and then turn their blade into giant scissors. Any other ideas?

Metallica themed King (of) Nothing

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
All five of the Defiers feels like Metallica inspiration: The God that Failed, Master of Puppets, Whenever I may roam, Enter Sandman, and Unforgiven.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
WTC Lists are out!

I'm hoping to find some interesting lists in there.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

I appreciate the kreoss1 list with a sanctifer and 5 redeemers. That's one way to go about ghost fleet...

TesseractMinotaur
Nov 6, 2012

When I looked over the WTC lists for Everblight and Retribution, there was nothing that seemed new or original. I am worried that the theme forces force a type of homogenization that leads to each theme list getting "solved" rather quickly. I worry themes are leading to drastically less diverse lists, as the alternative is playing 10-20 points down.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I think that's definitely a problem with Legion's kinda 'meh' tiers, but list building for a team tournament is considerably different than normal because you tend to build for specific matchups.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Played my first ever match against grymkin at dragoncon

I was playing hark with 6 jacks, mechaniks, and 4 free solos, vs the child with 2 skin and moans, 2 cage ragers, 1 of each of the lights, 4 crabits, the shepherd solo, 2 gremlin swarms, battle engine, and 6 dread rots.

The child killed 3 jacks by herself, but I was able to get the alpha in and start dropping heavies top of 2, and survived retaliation quite well as I feated defensively, most of what damage I took my mechanics fixed.

It went downhill after that though, once the child got stuck in I started losing stuff fast. But I was able to keep the game going and keep the score down until he ran out of clock.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Am I blind or is there no filter for stuff like faction/caster

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

I saw a Gorten list, and multiple different Amon lists, as well as what looked like an Amon list but with Durst instead.

I'm happy

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

albany academy posted:

Am I blind or is there no filter for stuff like faction/caster

I can't find it either

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

The lack of titans in the WTC lists make me sad. It's mostly lights and fast heavies. I understand that is the purpose of SR2017, but I love me some giant elephants and it's sad that the current Skorne meta basically ignores the existence of any titan other than the gladiator, for obv. reasons.

Also, at the end of Mk2, Skorne bugs were a breath of fresh air. Now a speed 3 heavy is like playing with even more points down. Especially when Grymkin can make everything in the Childs (?) control area -2 speed.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Speed 3 heavies lost their remaining value when you got two theme forces that remove AD, the only reason they are speed 3.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So hey, that bombardier officer sounds amazing. Minifeat to shoot twice and quick work is pretty loving great.

Theme bonuses are decent. Doubt I'll pick up the manowar battle engine but I'll get some of the new solos.

List I'm thinking of right now is irusk1 with 2 jacks (Destroyer and juggernaut or kodiak maybe), a full unit of each of the 3 manowar, mechaniks, drakhun, forge seer, free kovnik, free shock trooper officer, free bombardier officer. That leaves me 10-12 points to add in mercs or new manowar solos.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

CID changes and the officer sounds cool as heck. The theme and the battle engine seem really whatever.

Also isn't the one Merc unit / solo thing supposed to be applied to all themes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

albany academy posted:

Also isn't the one Merc unit / solo thing supposed to be applied to all themes?

We don't know at this point - they originally talked about adding it to everything, but walked back on that. At this point I'd guess it gets added to a bunch of themes but not to the explicit jack themes like Heavy Metal and Creator's Might.