Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Yeah that part of it rules, it goes flying over rooftops and can cover crazy distances, it's like launching an exploding winston onto the enemy team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the flying tire

New patch, the tire now comes out sideways and flies around like a UFO.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

galaxy brain: let bastion sprint in recon mode

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Slime posted:

Deathmatch is a lot more fun than I thought. My highlight so far: Hooking another Roadhog right as a Tracer pulse bombed him, meaning we both died.

It was play of the game for the tracer, so everyone saw my shame.

edit: what i don't understand though is how junkrats keep winning, i have not died to one so far

is everyone else just feeding them or what

he's pretty mobile now and can drop a good chunk of damage on people, especially if they're not paying attention

he can just drop in on someone, force-feed them a mine, then use the other mine to bail out

especially on chateau where there's a ton of height differences and dividers that he can use to his advantage

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

These regular A/D maps as FFA Deathmatch maps loving blows. I feel like I spend half the match just running across the map looking for people to shoot.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah they are pretty rough at the moment, hopefully they can tweak them a little more and maybe change up some health pack locations or wall off some paths to make them more like Chateau, can't imagine them investing a whole lot of time coming with any more unique FFA maps

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I wish they'd at least try to go for KOTH maps or something, christ.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

EMC posted:

Yeah they are pretty rough at the moment, hopefully they can tweak them a little more and maybe change up some health pack locations or wall off some paths to make them more like Chateau, can't imagine them investing a whole lot of time coming with any more unique FFA maps

The most annoying thing is a lot of the capture the point maps have one room that NOBODY goes into, and if you spawn in there you just waste a lot of time tracking back to the fight. Cost me getting first place because it kept sticking in the far away spawn away from the fights while I was only a kill away from winning.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Rirse posted:

The most annoying thing is a lot of the capture the point maps have one room that NOBODY goes into, and if you spawn in there you just waste a lot of time tracking back to the fight. Cost me getting first place because it kept sticking in the far away spawn away from the fights while I was only a kill away from winning.

Deathmatch maps should be compact and non-linear. Chateau was actually pretty good in that regard and they should get the guy who made that one to make a few more instead of trying to hammer trapezoidal pegs through round holes.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I really like chateau a hell of a lot, but I hate a bunch of the converted deathmatch maps already

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Deathmatch maps are a lost art, Payload maps were mastered by Valve and Blizzard still kinda sucks at them. And 2cp has always just been lovely.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

how did blizzard manage to ruin Deathmatch this fast

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think they actually changed anything, did they? people just found out they don't like some of the maps after they got past the initial excitement for the new mode

the stuff people have been complaining about were in from day 1 of ffa being added at any rate

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

They unlocked the map rotation so it had maps other than Chateau, none of which are acceptable

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I must be thinking of tdm then because that definitely had other maps in from day 1

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Yes, FFA is what's being talked about. It was locked on Chateau and still should be because these chopped up 2CP maps are not very good

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Deathmatch maps are a lost art, Payload maps were mastered by Valve and Blizzard still kinda sucks at them. And 2cp has always just been lovely.

At least we have King of the Hill. :shobon:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

idk why they didn't drop koth maps into dm instead of literally any 2cp map

the 2cp maps are a real bad fit

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Yeah, FFA had just chateau and everybody goddamn loved it.

Team DM had the 3v3 maps, and they work great, but also the 2cp maps and payload maps, and people thought they weren't good because of the sprawl, but at least you knew where your team was, so you could sort of organize.

Doing FFA in the other maps is a mess. You wander around for 30 seconds, then get sniped. I say they take those maps, and make them 6v6v6v6 team DM, because that might actually work, even if you had to wait a minute or two longer for them. That's the only way they can work with that much empty space, and no reason to actually be in any one place. Roving gangs, tear-assing around.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

El Fideo posted:

Yeah, FFA had just chateau and everybody goddamn loved it.

Team DM had the 3v3 maps, and they work great, but also the 2cp maps and payload maps, and people thought they weren't good because of the sprawl, but at least you knew where your team was, so you could sort of organize.

Doing FFA in the other maps is a mess. You wander around for 30 seconds, then get sniped. I say they take those maps, and make them 6v6v6v6 team DM, because
that might actually work, even if you had to wait a minute or two longer for them. That's the only way they can work with that much empty space, and no reason to actually be in any one place. Roving gangs, tear-assing around.

I bet the work needed to actually allow for three teams in a match is waaay too costly for an extra mode. Would be cool but there's no way this is happening.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Yes, FFA is what's being talked about. It was locked on Chateau and still should be because these chopped up 2CP maps are not very good

Don't forget the payload maps that are somehow worse for this particular mode

At least unlike Chateau the spawning isn't completely intolerable

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I bet the work needed to actually allow for three teams in a match is waaay too costly for an extra mode. Would be cool but there's no way this is happening.

I'm not even sure the game is coded to allow more than twelve active characters on a map at once, and I have no idea how hard it would be to try and make it happen.

e; I guess you could do 3v3v3v3 but I still don't think that would address the issue that the various objective maps like 2CP and payload just aren't built for deathmatchin'. They really do just need to lock FFA on Chateau until they can get some actual custom built maps added to the pool.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Linear maps are really bad for deathmatch modes, and 3/4s of all the maps in the mode are super linear. Eichenwalde is probably the best of the non-chateau maps, just because there's a lot of interconnectedness in the map that makes is a lot better, but the others are really meh in general.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I don't really think this is tryhard enough for the tryhard thread because I kinda suck but I somehow managed to pull off gold (2419 SR) in placements after going through toxic as gently caress placements (so hateful) and I just feel better after being told I'll be bronze for sure by some jackass after I made a mistake :shobon:

I just needed a place to express a meager vindication.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Matsuri posted:

I don't really think this is tryhard enough for the tryhard thread because I kinda suck but I somehow managed to pull off gold (2419 SR) in placements after going through toxic as gently caress placements (so hateful) and I just feel better after being told I'll be bronze for sure by some jackass after I made a mistake :shobon:

You wanna know what's funny as hell?

I regularly flit between masters and GM and I flub game changing ultimates all the goddamn time. It doesn't mean a thing. Ignore that rear end in a top hat, we all gently caress up.

Also you should watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REhSbcOHakc

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Matsuri posted:

The tryhard thread will happily inform you that there are assholes and dumb mistakes at every level of play, despite what some people might think. Also congrats, that's pretty decent placement.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

All of the maps need some degree of remodeling-- new doorways, new paths/tunnels/bridges/ramps, obstructions of certain routes or sightlines-- to be decent for deathmatch. Considering how much time they already take making new maps for main modes, I just don't see Blizzard bothering with that.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

dogstile posted:

I regularly flit between masters and GM and I flub game changing ultimates all the goddamn time. It doesn't mean a thing. Ignore that rear end in a top hat, we all gently caress up.

This is a Genji deflect or something? I can't figure out what happens that stops it going off.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Supercar Gautier posted:

All of the maps need some degree of remodeling-- new doorways, new paths/tunnels/bridges/ramps, obstructions of certain routes or sightlines-- to be decent for deathmatch. Considering how much time they already take making new maps for main modes, I just don't see Blizzard bothering with that.

Everytime they put in some throwaway horde or deathmatch map for a season it always seems to be pretty well-received, so I have to think there are at least some design docs on potentially expanding the main game modes.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

BizarroAzrael posted:

This is a Genji deflect or something? I can't figure out what happens that stops it going off.

He fires it way behind the enemy team I think.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

It fell down the hole.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

BizarroAzrael posted:

There's a little hole on the side of that point. He missed the enemy team and bullseye'd the loving hole. It's amazing.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I take back what I said about the spawning being okay, having both killed and been killed by people spawning right on top of me on just about every DM map

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Autism Sneaks posted:

I take back what I said about the spawning being okay, having both killed and been killed by people spawning right on top of me on just about every DM map

I spawned on top of Junkrat death bombs yesterday which was a huge bummer. Between laughing, others had to tell me what happened. I had no idea due to the lack of death cam.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

dogstile posted:

Ahahaha. Thanks, I feel better after seeing that. That really had to suck.

Kai Tave posted:

The tryhard thread will happily inform you that there are assholes and dumb mistakes at every level of play, despite what some people might think. Also congrats, that's pretty decent placement.

Thanks. I've heard a lot of people say gold is bad too, but well, I don't play Overwatch all day everyday, and I played mostly Mercy in competitive. I know that's frowned on, but I do pretty well with her. I just don't trust myself to play more offensive roles yet at the risk of throwing the match.

I just really wonder what it is about being skilled at games that turns people into festering shitbags of vitriol. It's frustrating. (Not saying everyone who is great at games is a dick by a long shot, but what the hell dudes, you'd never talk like that to someone's face.)

Framboise fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 6, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Matsuri posted:

I just really wonder what it is about being skilled at games that turns people into festering shitbags of vitriol. It's frustrating. (Not saying everyone who is great at games is a dick by a long shot, but what the hell dudes, you'd never talk like that to someone's face.)

Nothing. Being skilled doesn't make it worse, being bad doesn't make it worse. The biggest factors in a game's toxicity are popularity and how much it costs. Popularity because people suck, more people means more assholes, and since you only notice the bad ones more assholes means more bad experiences. Cost because cheaper or f2p games means more kids and kids have no inhibitions about being shits to each other or to you, plus it's easier to evade bans or silences (if it even has those things in the first place.)

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Also the report system does literally gently caress all, so the only punishments most toxic players receive only happen when they leave games

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
1200 players in 100 games, it only takes 50 assholes to ruin literally half of those matches.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Matsuri posted:

Thanks. I've heard a lot of people say gold is bad too, but well, I don't play Overwatch all day everyday, and I played mostly Mercy in competitive.

Gold is bad. So is plat, so is diamond, so is masters, etc. Top 500 are bad compared to people who get tapped to play pro esports. Of those esports players some are demonstrably better than others, like the difference between South Korea's pro Overwatch players and a bunch of others is sometimes astonishing. The pro team c9 Gaming just recently threw a match away when they all simultaneously abandoned the cart in overtime, they all just scattered in different directions and whoops, it was like something out of quickplay.

There is badness everywhere, so take heart in that fact and know that anyone talking poo poo about your rank probably has a bunch of stuff in their own play that someone else could dunk all over them about. If looking at it that way doesn't do it for you the official Blizzard word on ladder rank distribution is that the median maximum skill rank for competitive Overwatch is somewhere around 2300 which means that technically you have a higher rank than 50% of the game's entire competitive playerbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i rank between gold and plat and in my experience the chillest people are in silver

granted i mostly play quick play but i've added like four people on my friends list the past few weeks just because of how awesome they were to play with and it turned out they've all been bronze/silver

now if only quick play would stop matching me with diamond and masters players