Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

KakerMix posted:

Now own a long-wheelbase Daihatsu Rugger (we got the gasoline short wheelbase Rugger as the Rocky) turbo diesel. 5 speed manual, 4WD, AC. :toot:

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KakerMix posted:

Now own a long-wheelbase Daihatsu Rugger (we got the gasoline short wheelbase Rugger as the Rocky) turbo diesel. 5 speed manual, 4WD, AC. :toot:
We got those as the Fourtrak. Farmers bloody loved them. I think that engine's the DL-52?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Does the rear canopy come off? Is it actually a pickup?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

bolind posted:

Yes, though it should have a side opening tailgate.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

bolind posted:

DJ Commie posted:

Yes, though it should have a side opening tailgate.

AFAIK the long wheelbase ones are tin tops and can not be taken off. The tailgate is a side opening one like you said. I guess it can seat 8 people though? Maybe that was an extra seat option. Pretty keen to have it in my possession.

Here is the auction sheet

Category 4 baby :cool:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

How much do you think you saved this time vs. going through one of the other companies you used before?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Larrymer posted:

How much do you think you saved this time vs. going through one of the other companies you used before?

I'll use my 1990 Acty I bought from Japanese Classics as an example.
I bought it for $6200 from them, plus around 700 to ship it to my house so a total of $6900.

If I did it myself I estimate that they paid maybe $750 for my Acty at auction. To ship it to me plus brokerage fees is about $2000, plus $500 to get it to my house from port.

Cost difference would be around $3,650, saving just over half of the total cost.

EDIT
I reread what you asked. For this Rugger specifically I found this one in Washington
http://www.jdmcarandmotorcycle.com/1984_Daihatsu_Rugger_Seattle_WA_8386694.veh

It's the same model to the one I bought (F75V), long wheelbase, diesel, AC. This one is older, in noticeably worse shape, isn't a turbo diesel, has some body corrosion issues as pointed out on the auction sheet they show, is only a 3 vs. my 4, and is missing one of it's rear mudflaps. It does, however, have a winch and arguably a better paint scheme. They are asking $8900 for it, I bought this one at auction for $2100 but it will cost me about $2000 to get it to me. $4100 for a better shape 85 turbo diesel vs. worse shape 84 NA diesel with some rust/corrosion issues for $8900.
I just noticed too that they are taking the mileage on the 5 digit odometer at face value, and since I can't read Japanese I don't know if the auction sheet shows that mileage can't be verified. Based on the overall condition of the vehicle I have to assume that the odometer has rolled over at least once which would give a mileage of 80563 miles vs the 18500 miles they are claiming. Mine has rolled over once and has a mileage of 63573 miles.
On the sheets the 'C' stands for corrosion, the Seattle one has it in the rear wheel wells, level 2.

vs.

DOUBLE EDIT
So while I've definitely bought this Rugger but the auction itself doesn't show it as being sold. It's possible that statistics aren't showing vehicles that have sold which would explain why there seem to be so many that run through their auction time yet don't look like they sold. And they never show back up on the block.
I asked JCD about it, we'll see if they have any insight.

TRIPLE EDIT
Turns out that 'USS' is a sort of separate thing within the auction system that doesn't share their data. Someone in this thread already said something to that effect and that makes a lot of sense.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 3, 2017

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Well got two kei trucks today 91 Daihatsu hijet climber (4x4 w/ diff lock), and 91 Suzuki Carry (4wd , diff lock). JCD needed them gone and gave a good deal. Will have more info later. Now I have to figure out how to sell these things.

https://www.japancardirect.com/carsellers/1991-suzuki-carry-differ/
https://www.japancardirect.com/carsellers/1991-daihatsu-hijet-climber/

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Well got two kei trucks today 91 Daihatsu hijet climber (4x4 w/ diff lock), and 91 Suzuki Carry (4wd , diff lock). JCD needed them gone and gave a good deal. Will have more info later. Now I have to figure out how to sell these things.

https://www.japancardirect.com/carsellers/1991-suzuki-carry-differ/
https://www.japancardirect.com/carsellers/1991-daihatsu-hijet-climber/

Nice, shouldn't be difficult at all to sell them here. Usually people want them pretty much all the time they just don't know they are a thing that exists. When you compare a kei truck to one of those John Deere or Polaris 4 wheeler truck things with open canopies or canvas tops they kind of seem to sell themselves.

"What if I told you....heat...roll up windows???"

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

KakerMix posted:

Nice, shouldn't be difficult at all to sell them here. Usually people want them pretty much all the time they just don't know they are a thing that exists. When you compare a kei truck to one of those John Deere or Polaris 4 wheeler truck things with open canopies or canvas tops they kind of seem to sell themselves.

"What if I told you....heat...roll up windows???"

Ya that's the crowd I was thinking, also same width, bigger bed. Better bed load rating(650-750 lbs) and usually better tongje weight rating (~1200 lbs). Just have to figure out how to get into that crowds channels to sell.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-JWY10Q3eiG9Wh.htm

$3760, sold. J60 turbo diesel Landcruiser with *that* paintscheme. I didn't buy it but that's a killer price imho. If that comes state-side it can be flipped for 12k or more.

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-6WzdMiMuvZacU1.htm

$1820, sold. 4WD Toyota Carib, 5 speed manual wagon.

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-anSBekVbIJ1PZp.htm

$60. Sixty. A six followed by a zero. 4WD Minicab. R grade so maybe it's poo poo.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 5, 2017

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I find this thread quite amusing. Living in New Zealand I see a lot of these cars everyday and would never consider them desirable.

Although I do have a soft spot for the kei cars and vans. A neighbour had a Cappuccino parked outside my apartment up until recently, so neat.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
That's a 60 series, not an 80

I'm from NZ and I fuckin love 1980s japanese cars

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

gimpsuitjones posted:

Stop doxxing me thanks

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I feel like Kaker should charge a fee and broker these deals because these cars are loving rad. That paint scheme is so 80s. I love it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

gimpsuitjones posted:

That's a 60 series, not an 80

You're right! Corrected.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I feel like Kaker should charge a fee and broker these deals because these cars are loving rad. That paint scheme is so 80s. I love it.

I mean eventually I'd like to get to that point, a sort of AI style (brown manual wagons, rad vans, etc) import dealership thing. There are a lot of cool stuff that's just sitting over there and I've already got 3 of these kei vans. I guess I am already on my way :toot:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

I mean eventually I'd like to get to that point, a sort of AI style (brown manual wagons, rad vans, etc) import dealership thing. There are a lot of cool stuff that's just sitting over there and I've already got 3 of these kei vans. I guess I am already on my way :toot:

I am interested in working with you in bringing over Land Cruiser / Defender product to flip if you are interested, my goal would be to make a profit.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

everdave posted:

I am interested in working with you in bringing over Land Cruiser / Defender product to flip if you are interested, my goal would be to make a profit.

That's a tough market to get into. Lot of people have the same idea, Lost the two I have bid on (6,800 bid).

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

That's a tough market to get into. Lot of people have the same idea, Lost the two I have bid on (6,800 bid).

I hear ya, but then we see that Cruiser that just sold for less than 4, I couldn't do but one or two a month anyways.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

I might play with the idea of a Landcruiser if the opportunity presents itself but

is the thing. Skylines were first, Landcruisers/Land Rovers are happening now and there is a slow burble of Soarers and their types that are gaining popularity. The 4WD Hiaces and Delicia's are a thing too, but a little less so than the others. Likewise with kei vehicles it seems to be exclusively the trucks since they are so cheap and useful. I wont even bother doing the JDM street-racer angle because that market is crowded and I don't care enough about that style cars to do it justice. Maybe the Landcruiser thing but there are already lots of people doing it justice.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

I might play with the idea of a Landcruiser if the opportunity presents itself but

is the thing. Skylines were first, Landcruisers/Land Rovers are happening now and there is a slow burble of Soarers and their types that are gaining popularity. The 4WD Hiaces and Delicia's are a thing too, but a little less so than the others. Likewise with kei vehicles it seems to be exclusively the trucks since they are so cheap and useful. I wont even bother doing the JDM street-racer angle because that market is crowded and I don't care enough about that style cars to do it justice. Maybe the Landcruiser thing but there are already lots of people doing it justice.

Well I'm down with whatever if you want to give it a go. I too want to stay away from boy-racer stuff. But also if we could jump on any overlooked Land Cruisers that would seem to be easy flip.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Land Rover stuff may be best sourced from europe, though Japanese market cars can be in very good condition. At one point, people were repatriating Discoveries to the UK.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

everdave posted:

Well I'm down with whatever if you want to give it a go. I too want to stay away from boy-racer stuff. But also if we could jump on any overlooked Land Cruisers that would seem to be easy flip.

I hate to be that guy, but hoping for an overlooked car just isn't going to happen. There are enough people doing this as a profession that you just cant "sneak one through".

I just bought two kei trucks and am bringing them over to flip. I will have a really good write up in here to follow this process (and if you can make money at it.) At least from my observations the place to make good money is at the two ends (kei/really cheap) and at the top end (gtrs, supras, fd's , delica crystallines, etc). There is a ton of competition at the bottom end so margins are smaller and you need to market the cars alot cause most people have no idea what you are selling and these type of people are not usually "car people". The top end has less competition but you need a ton of capital (ok gtrs are around 13.5-14k to buy) you can sell fast for 19k. The middle ground (gts-t, non crystalite delicas, silvias, etc) seem to be the most erratic. I bid 2,000$ on a 87 Mark 2 Twin Turbo with 257,000 km , Yoshi thought it was a great bid so did Matt. Come to find out somebody dropped 4,500 on it (even then it only sold for nego). Same thing with the Gts-t 6,750$, went for 8,000.

Anyways, I will have a good write up on what it took for me to flip these two kei trucks in a couple months.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
13.5-14k for a R32 GTR? What are you looking at FOB?

People want mid 20's to 30's in Arizona for them right now.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

I hate to be that guy, but hoping for an overlooked car just isn't going to happen. There are enough people doing this as a profession that you just cant "sneak one through".

I just bought two kei trucks and am bringing them over to flip. I will have a really good write up in here to follow this process (and if you can make money at it.) At least from my observations the place to make good money is at the two ends (kei/really cheap) and at the top end (gtrs, supras, fd's , delica crystallines, etc). There is a ton of competition at the bottom end so margins are smaller and you need to market the cars alot cause most people have no idea what you are selling and these type of people are not usually "car people". The top end has less competition but you need a ton of capital (ok gtrs are around 13.5-14k to buy) you can sell fast for 19k. The middle ground (gts-t, non crystalite delicas, silvias, etc) seem to be the most erratic. I bid 2,000$ on a 87 Mark 2 Twin Turbo with 257,000 km , Yoshi thought it was a great bid so did Matt. Come to find out somebody dropped 4,500 on it (even then it only sold for nego). Same thing with the Gts-t 6,750$, went for 8,000.

Anyways, I will have a good write up on what it took for me to flip these two kei trucks in a couple months.

Will look forward to your write up!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Pretty much agree with this, with the caveat that I'm in that weird erratic zone because that's what interests me. I'll also be documenting my experience with selling them as well when I get around to it. Got a hurricane to potentially deal with atm :toot:
Lord of Garbagemen if you don't mind I'll put your write up in the second post whenever you do sell those kei trucks. That's where I was going to put mine.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

BlackMK4 posted:

The general rule of thumb for a normal car is 2,500 USD to get it to my port (Tacoma, WA also the closest port to Japan so take into account). Duty is 2.5% and there are other middling costs so estimate 500 at port. State costs are a toss up you will have to estimate on your own.

Here would be my estimate:
Car: 14,000
Broker Fee: 900
Shipping 1,100
Misc. Japan Costs: 500
Duty: 350
Misc US Port 500
Total 17,350

I would try and list this car for 20,000 and let it go for the first guy who offered 19,250 cash. You could hold out for more, but I need the investment to turn over quickly as I want to get more inventory over here. Also, with the gobs of dealerships that are getting into the same business you will only be able to beat them on price so its undercut city. Also, a 14,000 GTR will not be in the greatest condition. It will likely be a 3 (usual dings and dents, possibly faded or peeling paint, pray there is nor corrosion) with alot of kms (you would want it to have the T Belt replaced at least) and a C interior (C interior usually means replace the steering wheel, drivers seat, parking brake boot, shifter boot, new floor mats at a minimum).

Lord of Garbagemen fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 5, 2017

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Just throwing this out there, I'm very much a brown diesel manual wagon type guy too and I've long planned on doing a caldina/carib/similar 4wd manual wagon import in 3-5 years.

I'd love to work with you if you're at that point in a couple years.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Wonder if there are old diesel landcruiser Utes and twin cab diesel hiluxs coming through the markets.

Turbo diesel hilux surfs are really popular in Aus too

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Diesel surfs are super popular in western Canada.

I have a 3g gasser and I can only imagine how cool the diesel is for 4x4ing.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

BlackMK4 posted:

Prices for them are dumb right now. In a couple of years when R33s are legal in the US I expect them to drop while the R33s which are the least desirable ones in most people's eyes will spike since that was the one in F&F. R34s are going to go through the roof tho in 2023 :v:

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Wired out the money for the trucks today, dam my bank makes that a stressful experience.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Wired out the money for the trucks today, dam my bank makes that a stressful experience.

Mine was easy as could be buying a new car except right after she sent it she goes "you know if this is a scam you will never see the money again"

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

everdave posted:

Mine was easy as could be buying a new car except right after she sent it she goes "you know if this is a scam you will never see the money again"

Ya they did that before we sent it out, I mean i know of at least three people that have done business with JCD and have nothing but good things to say but still it sets you on edge.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Sold for $1,860

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

everdave posted:

Sold for $1,860

I've been to the Caribbean a few times and every time I see a Hiace this is the kind of crazy poo poo I think about if I could get one in the US.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BigPaddy posted:

Prices for them are dumb right now. In a couple of years when R33s are legal in the US I expect them to drop while the R33s which are the least desirable ones in most people's eyes will spike since that was the one in F&F. R34s are going to go through the roof tho in 2023 :v:

So what about buying one from Aus/Nz?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

BlackMK4 posted:

So what about buying one from Aus/Nz?

Not checked there but in the UK the prices are going up with the ones in Japan. If you find one there I don't see it being an issue really.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Repost from my Z thread:

I bought a 91' Suzuki Carry 4wd (w/ diff lock)

And a 91 Hijet Climber (4wd with diff lock)

We are bringing them over to resell, both are going to get their beds sanded down to metal and bed liner sprayed on (got a friend who does it professionally, will do cheap sprays with no warranty and we do all the prep). They both had their tires replaced at the port. Going to get a good wash and interior cleaning. Alot of little fixes (stuff I can do for free or super cheap). I think my buddy and I are going to list them for 4,000 each and settle for 3,600-3,700. I might end up keeping one though because kei truck.

My coworkers husband works for a rural fire department and showed them to her husband, who showed the fire chief. They are very interested in looking at them as the chiefs current truck (F -350 with everything) has trouble going up some of the back roads and calls he gets (too big). Also he feels the ford truck would be better served for the working guys and not on little calls. Hopefully, this is something they are down for cause he said at 4,000 each they would likely get 3 or 4 (could save alot on shipping that way). Also, having a fire department as a customer is good word of mouth for advert. Might need to do some modifications on the drivers seat for QOL but I will cross that bridge when I get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Keep that shift knob when you deliver to the fire dept to watch their faces.