Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

MikeJF posted:

They were also adamant that these would be high-quality, content-rich mods made by the community.

I haven't bothered to check on that myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MikeJF posted:

They were also adamant that these would be high-quality, content-rich mods made by the community.

So more permutations on 14 inch lizard man cocks than flaccid/hard and cut/uncut?

edit: countdown to Mirelurk anatomically correct cloaca w/ HD textures pack in 3, 2, 1. . .

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I was super hyped to see an update for Fallout 4, it looked really cool, craftable backpack, chinese stealth suit et.c. Then I saw people on steam complaining, saying they hate Bethesda, couldn't figure out why, why hate on a new update? Then I saw it, it costs loving money to get a black pipboy, are you kidding me?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

So more permutations on 14 inch lizard man cocks than flaccid/hard and cut/uncut?

edit: countdown to Mirelurk anatomically correct cloaca w/ HD textures pack in 3, 2, 1. . .

Alienslof began modding FO4 recently so you may be in luck!

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
As an exclusively ps4 player I'm tantalized by the idea of new assets being available. Im hoping there's gonna be a significant uptick in quality as they roll this out

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Cryptozoology, this must be your first day on the internet so I really hate to tell you this but you're going to be waiting a long rear end time...

This is like Bethesda' s third attempt at this and the last time it was tried it backfired so spectacularly that Gaben himself stopped eating burgers long enough to tell us that Steam had received so many complaints it literally cost millions of dollars in manhours to address them all right before pulling the plug.

Maybe with consoles, which don't have access to the usual channels of third party content, they will be able to prop this up longer but I honestly can't think of a single thing that has been added to this game by a mod that I'd be willing to pay money for.

I honestly thought they learned their lesson the last time. But hey, there's a buck to be made so we're going to keep right at it.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Yeah but then there are a lot of people out there with terrible self control who are delighted to spend money on multiple pip boy skins and dogmeat armor.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So who is pushing for paid mods, Bethesda or Valve?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Bethesda, but I doubt Valve is that much against it considering how they operate these days

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The paid mods are through steam workshop? I assumed they would be in the in-game mod section. If they're not in the workshop, what would valve have to do with them at all, and why would they care?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Maybe with consoles, which don't have access to the usual channels of third party content, they will be able to prop this up longer but I honestly can't think of a single thing that has been added to this game by a mod that I'd be willing to pay money for.

I could be sold on dog power armor.

IF SOMEONE WOULD MAKE IT ::arghfist::tizzy:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

hawowanlawow posted:

The paid mods are through steam workshop? I assumed they would be in the in-game mod section. If they're not in the workshop, what would valve have to do with them at all, and why would they care?

No, it's all through Bethesda's new system integrated in the game.

So integrated that in fact, the game now includes all the paid mods in the base download, even if you haven't bought a single one of them.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
That explains the 2.1GB patch yesterday that seemingly did nothing. Thanks for that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

That explains the 2.1GB patch yesterday that seemingly did nothing. Thanks for that.

Yeah that actually got me to uninstall.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
How long does outdoor stuff take to respawn? I've slept for 7 days in a row trying to get lexington to respawn the Mr Handy Fuel and the pre war money in the bank but it doesn't want to reload.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It depends on the difficulty level (I think) and what type of cell it is but I believe outdoor areas will respawn enemies after 20 days have elapsed. Loot should also come back at the same time.

Indoor cells, like the Corvega Plant that just manufactures raiders now, will reset after 7 days.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
In survival mode it's 35 to 80 days unless it gets reset by a radiant quest.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Promethium posted:

In survival mode it's 35 to 80 days unless it gets reset by a radiant quest.

Ah poo poo that explains it. I wasn't playing on survival before. Does going into the cell reset the counter?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I'm sure putting 2.1 GB of data on everyone's hard drive they expect you to pay money to access will result in nothing but cool revenue.

Also it is 2002 and I don't know how computers work.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

They can't do this for every update of CC. Will they?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Rumour is that the initial push was a mistake and they didn't intend for everything published to be stored locally. No idea if that's true or not and I have no idea if they intend to fix it but the fact they they somehow rammed out a 2gig file without noticing should tell you how much thought has gone into this endeavor.

I'm sure by now someone has gone through and ripped out all the assets so they can be shared around for free. Would have happened anyway I'm sure but Bethesday just decided to make it that much easier.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Rinkles posted:

They can't do this for every update of CC. Will they?

It's Bethesda. This is either entirely intentional, or, more likely, a complete fuckup because they were more focused on getting PAID MODS out the door again. Because Zenimax loves to shoot itself in the foot, apparently?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Rumour is that the initial push was a mistake and they didn't intend for everything published to be stored locally. No idea if that's true or not and I have no idea if they intend to fix it but the fact they they somehow rammed out a 2gig file without noticing should tell you how much thought has gone into this endeavor.

I'm sure by now someone has gone through and ripped out all the assets so they can be shared around for free. Would have happened anyway I'm sure but Bethesday just decided to make it that much easier.

both the BA2 and ESL (new stupid format that's basically an ESP) are already available for free. I'm not sure what the policy is on linking pirated poo poo around these parts so...

But yeah, it's been done, BethSoft are idiots.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Countdown until that's just 2.1 gb of free mods.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I'm starting to wonder if releasing the Creation Club assets as part of a patch and the new .esl data file type are Bethesda's attempt at getting around the restrictions for mods on the consoles.
It would have been really stupid if some poor Xbox1 sod bought the Horse Armor & Hellfire creations and found out that that took up 1/8th of their mod storage capacity and 2 slots in their 150 plugin limit. And I imagine there would have been riots if the Creation Club took off and you could buy more then 2GB worth of creations on it. You wouldn't be able to have all the content you own in the game when playing on the XBox1.

Mendrian posted:

I'm sure putting 2.1 GB of data on everyone's hard drive
The Creation Club archives are only 700MB.
The remainder of the download was to replace a 60MB executable and something like 5MB worth of UI files & data. Because patching is hard.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 1, 2017

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

dragonshardz posted:

both the BA2 and ESL (new stupid format that's basically an ESP) are already available for free. I'm not sure what the policy is on linking pirated poo poo around these parts so...

But yeah, it's been done, BethSoft are idiots.

ESL files are a good change, though. I have to give them credit for that. Essentially it's just an ESP that has a hard limit on the number of records it can contain (~10,000, if I'm not mistaken), and in return it doesn't count against the hard plugin limit of 255. So that means a mod creator that's making something relatively lightweight like, say, a weapon mod can use the ESL format, and his mod won't count against the ESP limit, despite functioning identically otherwise. Or, at least, that's how I understood it.

If it actually functions like that, that's an incredible feature, especially if you're running a bunch of compatibility patches for various things. Presumably most (if not all) of those patches could be remade as .esl files and instantly free up space in your load order, while also not losing their functionality.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

tweet my meat posted:

Ah poo poo that explains it. I wasn't playing on survival before. Does going into the cell reset the counter?

Yes, going there will interrupt the timer. I think 35 days is the right period for outdoor zones.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
The whole Creation Club thing seems to have been done very badly, especially considering what most of the mods are. I would never pay for mods that are little more then reskins. That's just the horse armour bullshit all over again.

What I would pay for is mod packs. Take several overhaul mods, put them together in a way that eliminates all possibility of crashes, and release it as a pack. For me, the worst part of modding Fallout or Elder Scrolls games is putting together a modlist, following all the instructions to prevent crashes and errors, and then having the game crash ten hours in anyway and having NO clue why. Having a professional troubleshoot the errors and release a completed product is something I would pay for so I can skip the "Spend loving days trying to find out what went wrong" step.

MadJackMcJack fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 2, 2017

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
While everyone is on the fun subject of paid for mods, I had questions about free ones. I'm on PS4 and I'm trying to find away that adds some of the extra challenge of survival, without the bullshit you can't save here stuff. Any way this can be done on PS4?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So the CC update put an ad box in the top right corner of the main menu for fallout 4 to promote their poo poo. And after getting an unwanted 2.1 gb download of stuff i'll never use, that was it and I uninstalled the game. It's bad enough that your system is poo poo, but I don't need a microtransation popup telling me to buy stuff I've already given up on. I also need more disc space.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

MadJackMcJack posted:

The whole Creation Club thing seems to have been done very badly, especially considering what most of the mods are. I would never pay for mods that are little more then reskins. That's just the horse armour bullshit all over again.

What I would pay for is mod packs. Take several overhaul mods, put them together in a way that eliminates all possibility of crashes, and release it as a pack. For me, the worst part of modding Fallout or Elder Scrolls games is putting together a modlist, following all the instructions to prevent crashes and errors, and then having the game crash ten hours in anyway and having NO clue why. Having a professional troubleshoot the errors and release a completed product is something I would pay for so I can skip the "Spend loving days trying to find out what went wrong" step.

That would mean work, limiting the moneytization of the playerbase, don't be silly, how will Zenimax make more pennies for whatever nonsense they use it for.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

dragonshardz posted:

It's not even pirated, a mod that enables them in-game would be entirely non-copyrighted content, since the actual copyrighted element is already downloaded. The fact that Bethesda happily put the assets on our drives for free means that we're allowed to do what we want with them.

Now it'd probably be a game TOS violation, but not a copyright violation.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Arcsquad12 posted:

So the CC update put an ad box in the top right corner of the main menu for fallout 4 to promote their poo poo.
:psyboom: There is no way this isn't internal sabotage.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

RagnarokZ posted:

That would mean work, limiting the moneytization of the playerbase, don't be silly, how will Zenimax make more pennies for whatever nonsense they use it for.

Oh I get that it's nothing more then a cash grab. But a man can dream. A man can dream....

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Reminder that Bethesda QA let a bug through in New Vegas that literally deleted your savegames.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
If I buy the digital version on my console will that gently caress anything up if all my saves and dlc were done using the cd? My fat rear end is getting tired of getting up to put the disc in.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

xxEightxx posted:

If I buy the digital version on my console will that gently caress anything up if all my saves and dlc were done using the cd? My fat rear end is getting tired of getting up to put the disc in.

Don't think so. On PS4, though, you'll need to reinstall the game.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I'm starting Survival for the first time and was wondering what tips you guys have.

Any perks that are absolutely necessary? Power armor or no power armor? Any mods that absolutely wreck the balance of Survival?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Devorum posted:

I'm starting Survival for the first time and was wondering what tips you guys have.

Any perks that are absolutely necessary? Power armor or no power armor? Any mods that absolutely wreck the balance of Survival?

You probably want that perk that links all your settlements since there will be no fast travel. Get as many settlements as you can so you always have safe houses. Also focus on your chemistry skills so you can make medicine. Otherwise you'll catch a cold and die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

MadJackMcJack posted:

Honestly, this is legit something basically everyone who's even tangentially familiar with modding can do. Whether for you, or for anyone.

Here's the problem. They can't make any money off of this since they don't have the rights to the individual mods they're packaging together, and because they don't have the rights to the individual mods they're packaging together they also can't even release the pack in the first place without ~~Mod Piracy~~.

That, and the other flipside of problem is that you're bound by their choices. Like Cloaks of Skyrim instead of Winter is Coming and they only put one in? Tough luck. Would prefer that NPCs didn't look like blowup dolls with footlong penises? You're just screwed, because 10-1 says that they've integrated every mod as a master in their merged patch.

What I do these days is have a smattering of merged and bashed patches. One for levelled list changes, one for NPC/race edits, other for general ish and so on and so forth. Even then though, that only works if you have the exact same modlist that I do, and removing one that's a master to one of my merged patches and the whole house of cards comes tumbling down. Getting compatibility right usually takes a few hours playing around in FO4edit or TESVedit just manually moving records around.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 5, 2017

• Locked thread