Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
If you're trying to do white over black, just skip the trouble and punch yourself directly in the dick instead.

Failing that, remember two things: A few coats of progressively lighter greys will work up to white a lot faster than coat after coat of white, and also white stuff in the world isn't always (or really ever) pure bright white anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Glossy white armor plating, like a stormtrooper :suicide:

The good news is that I'm working up over a zenethial priming job, so at the very least the important parts are going to be a nice rich tone, but everything is scratchy-looking, almost like the pigment's breaking when it goes on the model, even if it looks solid on my palette.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Seconded on JoshTheStampede. Pure white should be used sparingly, as should pure black; you can't highlight any brighter than white, and you can't shade any darker than black.
For whites, I like to use a very light base color with a "temperature" and build up from that, usually a warm khaki or cool light blue. I've got examples of both on this model here:

Both the shirt and apron are meant to read as white, but with different values.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
White blows. Definitely working up from grey as mentioned is the way to go, especially if the base is black.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
SecondingN-thing going via some grey layers. Dawnstone and Ulthuan make good bases for a cold Storm Trooper white. The biggest pain in the balls about white is you have to thin it to oblivion to avoid the slightest brush stroke, but then when it's thinned it goes on like cloudy water, hence the grey's help mask it a bit. Adding some medium to the mix can help keep the pigment from completely separating but it's still a delicate balance between brush strokes vs watered down skimmed milk.

EDIT: efb x 3;

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

grassy gnoll posted:

Am I cursed by exceptionally thin paint, or does it normally take a minimum dozen coats to get brushed-on white up to snuff?

White's just really kind of a cunty color to get looking smooth in general, but a dozen coats seems like a bit much. Best way I can recommend to avoid this is to start with a very light grey (iirc Celestra Grey works well for basecoating), then work your way up to white highlights.

The thing with white, as with black, is that it's an extreme color, in this case extreme highlights. You can't really get any whiter than pure white, so that needs to stay as the higher end of the highlights in order for the eye to register it as "white". Same with black and shadows, in that you can't get darker than black (without that vantablack knockoff stuff, anyway). You just need to walk that fine line between grey and white, and lean more towards that white side in order to not only have your white come across as white, but to retain the depth of shadows and highlights that (presumably) the rest of your model has.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I missed the post where you mentioned Stormtrooper armor. Here's a video that's pretty helpful with that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZUsfAtyEM0

Note that the dark wash Sorastro uses, GW Nuln Oil, isn't even a pure black itself--it has a slight amount of brown in it. So even that will impart a bit of color to models you use it on.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

grassy gnoll posted:

Am I cursed by exceptionally thin paint, or does it normally take a minimum dozen coats to get brushed-on white up to snuff?

Are you priming white?

If not, why not?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Are you priming white?

If not, why not?

Pretty much this.

Why would you prime black if a large part of the model is white.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Also, I don't think I've ever applied white with a brush and had it look like anything other than crap. An airbrush is totally the way to go when doing white, unless you're actually starting from a light gray.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

OptimusWang posted:

These guys look pretty good for a first stab at cloth. Red can be a real bitch anyway, but making soft fabric transitions can be even trickier.

Are you drybrushing at all after your wash? A single pass with your base red, then several passes with continually lighter reds would really help these guys stand out.

Another neat trick specific to these guys and Vader is to hit the whole model with dullcoat after you're done, then go back in and brush on gloss varnish to the plastic/metal bits. Even though the colors are mostly the same, visually it's a really nice effect.

I'm not drybrushing after my wash! This is before or after I apply the highlights? Or in lieu of highlights? And with a lighter shade, I'm assuming?

Thanks for the tips! I'll have to try it out when I get to vader :3

The final Red Guard I turned into a Shadow Guard to make him Elite, and tried the combo of the Dark Reaper + Thunderhawk. I also hit it with two dark washes afterwards because it looked too blue to me. I think...the highlighting is a little too subtle on this one. But I'm not entirely unhappy with it. Learning is fun~

(I don't know why I had a lot less trouble with Ork flesh of all things. Probably has something to do with if they're a hot mess, nobody cares, cause Orks :v: )

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Quidthulhu posted:

The final Red Guard I turned into a Shadow Guard to make him Elite, and tried the combo of the Dark Reaper + Thunderhawk. I also hit it with two dark washes afterwards because it looked too blue to me. I think...the highlighting is a little too subtle on this one. But I'm not entirely unhappy with it. Learning is fun~

(I don't know why I had a lot less trouble with Ork flesh of all things. Probably has something to do with if they're a hot mess, nobody cares, cause Orks :v: )

Your brain knows what red cloth and black cloth look like. Your brain does not immediately know what green skin looks like. Orcs get a pass as do many models that don't have "traditional" skin colors because you don't immediately parse them as incorrect when you see flaws.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Quidthulhu posted:

I'm not drybrushing after my wash! This is before or after I apply the highlights? Or in lieu of highlights? And with a lighter shade, I'm assuming?

The way I learned it was basecoat > wash > drybrush with the basecoat color to bring the mid tones back > drybrush with the highlight color to make the edges pop. Army Painter has a little guide that goes with their paints to give you different color combos:

They call shades inks, but otherwise that approach works with any line of paints. I did this guy's cloak using the second line:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
For a brushed on Pure white over black do two coats of Ulthuan grey thinned with a bit of Lahmian medium. Then two to three of thinned white. Use slow strokes of the brush to help keep it smooth. You can also alternate between coats with your brush strokes going vertically and horizontally for smoothness. Of course, shading it is going to make it harder, and you can't highlight pure white. I did my Mentor Legion this way, using the previous line of Citadel paints. This one was done over black.

Personally, nowadays I just go with Ulthuan as the base colour and then edge highlight that with pure white. Shade with your choice between brown, black, or dark blue grey (Personally I'd use Agrax Gloss shade). Clean up will be easier with Ulthuan, and gloss shade will reduce staining outside of the areas where the shade settles. It isn't pristine, but with other colours on the model it will look close enough to white on the table, while retaining the visual distinction of the highlights and shading.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 6, 2017

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

OptimusWang posted:

The way I learned it was basecoat > wash > drybrush with the basecoat color to bring the mid tones back > drybrush with the highlight color to make the edges pop. Army Painter has a little guide that goes with their paints to give you different color combos:

They call shades inks, but otherwise that approach works with any line of paints. I did this guy's cloak using the second line:

Wow, this looks SO much better than what I did. I'll look more into this for my future cloth! And if anyone has a good YouTube tutorial, I do well with those...

Thank you, everyone! I appreciate all the advice :)

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Handing out compliments time!

Shadin posted:

Oh and here's some content. I'm testing the whole painting only with washes thing on Space Hulk. This is a WIP obviously:

I like what you're doing here. The main suggestion I'd make is, try to move the washes around on the flat surfaces to avoid pooling (unless you're going for a more mottled look, which can work well on genestealers, so forget I said anything if that's what you're doing.)

This is a really nice elfsperson you've done here. A very smooth coat on the cloak, with subtle but effective contrast.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Handing out compliments time!

I like what you're doing here. The main suggestion I'd make is, try to move the washes around on the flat surfaces to avoid pooling (unless you're going for a more mottled look, which can work well on genestealers, so forget I said anything if that's what you're doing.)

Hey, thanks. Yeah I was going more for the disgusting mottled look, though now I wonder if they'd look better cleaner. Might do a test one since I have a million of them to compare.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Are you priming white?

If not, why not?

Because, for whatever reason, people keep insisting that black is the only way to basecoat a model. Then they wonder why it's so hard to paint white or yellow.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

berzerkmonkey posted:

Because, for whatever reason, people keep insisting that black is the only way to basecoat a model. Then they wonder why it's so hard to paint white or yellow.

I think it depends on how bright you want the finished model to be. Primers also serve different functions. Black primer leads to a darker overall look, and the darker recesses can help hide mistakes, but it can dull your brighter colors. White primer is excellent for bright, vibrant color schemes (like yellow), but doesn't always play nice with them (reds can develop a pink tone if not carefully tended, for instance). Grey is an obvious compromise, but not everyone likes it.
Personally, I'm a huge fan of zenithal priming, but that's best accomplished with an airbrush (rattlecan zenithal priming is hard to pull off, thanks to how thick spray primers tend to be). With zenithal, you get nice dark shadows and bright highlights. You can also apply the zenithal method to painting itself, which is how I put down the base coats on this spoooOOOooky ghost:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

I painted all my Howling Griffons over black, with a brush. :colbert: But in all seriousness, I recently discovered Grey Primer and it's changed my life. Colors go on easier, details are easier to see, less coats required. Don't prime black.

Also, not really a miniature post but I finally caved and bought some paint racks and organized my desk. Oh, the space. THE SPACE.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

That's a sexy desk setup~

Which racks did you get?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I'm so jealous of that painting table as I look at my paints strewn all over my computer desk and my models sat in the windowsill trying not to get trod on by the cat.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

When I prime white, I give everything except skin a black wash before starting the base coats. This acts a bit like zenithal priming, and brings out details that flat primer sometimes obscures.

Flesh gets a purple wash.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

When I prime white, I give everything except skin a black wash before starting the base coats. This acts a bit like zenithal priming, and brings out details that flat primer sometimes obscures.

Flesh gets a purple wash.

Same except with grey primer instead. Depending on base coat I may wash with drakenhoff nightshade instead of black, as I find after covering it with a thin base layer it shows through a bit less.

I'll prime black if a model is primarily black, otherwise grey for everything.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

richyp posted:

Same except with grey primer instead. Depending on base coat I may wash with drakenhoff nightshade instead of black, as I find after covering it with a thin base layer it shows through a bit less.

I'll prime black if a model is primarily black, otherwise grey for everything.

I used to prime black and then do a heavy drybrush of white over the whole thing to pick out details. I stopped doing that after a while when I realized that was taking more effort than just straight priming grey, and then I discovered zenithal and haven't looked back since.
Now if I could just come up with a way to locate all the mold lines on a given model *before* putting primer on it.... (This happens incredibly frequently with Bones models, because removing all the mold lines from them is basically impossible. It's the one thing that's dampening my urge to get started on Ma'aldrakar, which is like three cubic feet of potential mold lines :suicide: )

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Quidthulhu posted:

That's a sexy desk setup~

Which racks did you get?

Those black metal ones are Threshold from Target. I don't think they sell them any more. I grabbed those three on clearance. I need 2 more and can't find any.

The wood one is from Ikea, it's a spice rack.

Corrode posted:

I'm so jealous of that painting table as I look at my paints strewn all over my computer desk and my models sat in the windowsill trying not to get trod on by the cat.

This is what mine was up until yesterday. Literally couldn't see that desk, it was covered in paint, projects, boxes, etc. It used to be my computer desk, but I have a laptop so I put my PC away.

I think i've trained my 2 cats well enough to know they're not allowed up there. Zuul, my oldest, doesn't even go by the desk. Nibbler, the younger one, kinda sorta goes near it, but runs when i tell her no. She has been grabbing bits out of my box as i'm putting stuff together though.

Look at them. Plotting to knock over my miniatures.

Nah, they're actually pretty great.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Zuul the Cat posted:

Those black metal ones are Threshold from Target. I don't think they sell them any more. I grabbed those three on clearance. I need 2 more and can't find any.

The wood one is from Ikea, it's a spice rack.

This is what mine was up until yesterday. Literally couldn't see that desk, it was covered in paint, projects, boxes, etc. It used to be my computer desk, but I have a laptop so I put my PC away.

I think i've trained my 2 cats well enough to know they're not allowed up there. Zuul, my oldest, doesn't even go by the desk. Nibbler, the younger one, kinda sorta goes near it, but runs when i tell her no. She has been grabbing bits out of my box as i'm putting stuff together though.

Look at them. Plotting to knock over my miniatures.

Nah, they're actually pretty great.

Jesus your cats are adorable.

Mine mostly leave my models alone, and stay off the desk, though Oskar (one of my Siamese) did steal a Space Hulk Terminator to play with last week. Other than that the only issue is that if I leave my well uncovered, Oskar will absolutely stand up there and drink the paint water. Good thing model acrylics are non-toxic for kids.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Where'd you get the water container with the spring?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

working mom posted:

Where'd you get the water container with the spring?

I got one at Michael's. Be forewarned, the aluminum dish got pinholes in it (I assume due to the paint water) so I now weight the bottom with rocks and use a ceramic water dish.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Dr. Gargunza posted:

What you'll really want is something more like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0017640RK?psc=1 It's from the same company, and also relatively cheap, but you'll get better use out of it.

I'm gonna buy this for priming and terrain stuff. Yes/no?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Download the citadel paint app on the 16th, you could win every base, shade and layer!

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Cat Face Joe posted:

Yes. I've got that exact set. Compressor has lasted me something like 3 years now. I've gone through a couple of the airbrushes, but they're $26 so I don't really bother cleaning them particularly well, and if one breaks I just buy a new one (it's me I'm the bad with money person)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Cat Face Joe posted:

I've got it, and it works great for basecoats. Well worth the $100. I do clean mine, and have had only one problem, and that was due to bad paint.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Cat Face Joe posted:

I don't have that airbrush, but I do have one of their compressors and it's been working great.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Zuul the Cat posted:

I painted all my Howling Griffons over black, with a brush. :colbert: But in all seriousness, I recently discovered Grey Primer and it's changed my life. Colors go on easier, details are easier to see, less coats required. Don't prime black.

Also, not really a miniature post but I finally caved and bought some paint racks and organized my desk. Oh, the space. THE SPACE.

You have paint's out than I do :(

Also the sooner I get a display case the sooner I can clear some space off my desk to actually paint. I've already filled a few shelves off to the left of the hovel with painted crap. Also I have to keep all my paints and poo poo away from inquisitive young hands, which means boxing everything up at the end of each session.

(Also just noticed I really need to cut the lawn :/)

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Booley posted:

Yes. I've got that exact set. Compressor has lasted me something like 3 years now. I've gone through a couple of the airbrushes, but they're $26 so I don't really bother cleaning them particularly well, and if one breaks I just buy a new one (it's me I'm the bad with money person)

berzerkmonkey posted:

I've got it, and it works great for basecoats. Well worth the $100. I do clean mine, and have had only one problem, and that was due to bad paint.

Shadin posted:

I don't have that airbrush, but I do have one of their compressors and it's been working great.

:stoked:

No more playing on bare mdf for us!

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Booley posted:

(it's me I'm the bad with money person)

You post in the Miniatures Painting thread, so we already knew that, hth.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

richyp posted:

You have paint's out than I do :(

Also the sooner I get a display case the sooner I can clear some space off my desk to actually paint. I've already filled a few shelves off to the left of the hovel with painted crap. Also I have to keep all my paints and poo poo away from inquisitive young hands, which means boxing everything up at the end of each session.

(Also just noticed I really need to cut the lawn :/)

That's what mine would look like if I still had my PC out. Also, i don't have any kids yet (just cats) so i'm lucky. Below my desk is a 3 drawer bin that I keep all my spare bits and sprues in, as well as random miniature projects and models i've painted, some basing material, etc. Luckily my lady is pretty patient, cause my hobby usually creeps out of my designated hobby space (like the box of Talons of the Emperor sitting on my floor in front of my desk.)

This is fun. More of you should post your paint stations (cats optional).

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Merton Blask posted:

I've been posting some stuff of mine in here, figured it was high time to consolidate in one place.
Currently muddling my way through a Necron command barge.

VISIT THE GIMMICKY LEDCRONS

I love your glowcrons, gimmicky as they are. I really want to do something similar, but as I'm using clear bases I can't put the battery there. Do you know if it's realistic to find a battery you can model inside a primaris size mans?
Edit: Just looked at your blog. Are you just using a vacuum chamber and no pressure? Most people seem to be doing the opposite, but it seems to work well.

Dr Hemulen fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

That bloody mary looks delicious.