Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Turn 4 Glorybringer in a monored deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Elyv posted:

I don't know when/why someone would want this card but I guess it exists

This is the state of Rituals now. :v:

This seems like the worst possible compromise between the two modes of spirit guide.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Entropic posted:

What should I play in the top 8 of my local store's modern league tomorrow? I'm top seed so I'll be on the play and I think they're doing best-of-5 so sideboarding will be really relevant.

I'm anticipating facing deaths shadow, tron or eldrazi tron, affinity, and probably some sort of coco deck, but there could also be Ad Nauseum or Scapeshift in there.

I've been on BW eldrazi for a while but was considering jeskai control. I like BW for being able to be the thoughtseize deck on the play with lots of good sideboard options.

On the play every match? Burn. How many sideboard slots is everyone really going to dedicate to Burn given the decks you're anticipating?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Isn't sideboarding less relevant in a Bo5 than a Bo3, considering that 40% of the Bo5 is pre-sideboard and 33% of the Bo3 is?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Automatic 4-of in Miracles.

Or, I guess the budget option for monored devotion.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Elyv posted:

Isn't sideboarding less relevant in a Bo5 than a Bo3, considering that 40% of the Bo5 is pre-sideboard and 33% of the Bo3 is?

Well the other way to look at it is you have to win at least 2 post-board games versus having g to win at least 1.

So you don't want to play a deck that gets completely hosed post board.

E: I don't know if they're doing the "first two games pre-board" thing

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Entropic posted:

What should I play in the top 8 of my local store's modern league tomorrow? I'm top seed so I'll be on the play and I think they're doing best-of-5 so sideboarding will be really relevant.

I'm anticipating facing deaths shadow, tron or eldrazi tron, affinity, and probably some sort of coco deck, but there could also be Ad Nauseum or Scapeshift in there.

I've been on BW eldrazi for a while but was considering jeskai control. I like BW for being able to be the thoughtseize deck on the play with lots of good sideboard options.

The answer is bogles with mainboard leyline.

I am seriously 18 -3 with bogles in matches since I sleeved it up last.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 5, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Entropic posted:

My go-to answer for this is usually "whatever you feel most comfortable playing". Turn 1 Thoughtseize seems good against a lot of what you listed, plus you still have access to all of White's good SB cards.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

E: I don't know if they're doing the "first two games pre-board" thing

oh, I was assuming that they're doing this. Otherwise the reverse is definitely true

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
And let me tell you about intervention-pact and how its been a blowout lately against scapeshift and anything else on the mountain bolt plan.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Elyv posted:

So I saw a RR Goblin and was excited for like .5 seconds until I read the card.... This ain't no Ash Zealot.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Maybe being a pirate will be relevant somehow

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Entropic posted:

Maybe being a pirate will be relevant somehow
We did just see a very potent common payoff for limited. This guy really wants treasure payoffs too though. He seems extremely niche and only good if you have good payoffs for both parts of the card.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Ein Sexmonster posted:

We did just see a very potent common payoff for limited. This guy really wants treasure payoffs too though. He seems extremely niche and only good if you have good payoffs for both parts of the card.

If he was 1R improvise shenanigans could happen, but maybe that would have been too good? RR seems too restrictive for an improvise deck.

The best pirates so far seem to be u/b anyway

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

The format is super obviously "ramp into big dinosaurs." The ramp part is shock-proof so I would take it fairly high if that was the deck I was getting into (so many of the rares are just big dinos it might be easy to end up in such an archetype).

I mean, there's a reason all but a tiny number of the dinosaurs are 6+ mana. It's probably a tribal vs. battlecruiser format. There are cheap guys you can play but they're largely build arounds that aren't terribly powerful if you don't, and the other option is making treasure and spending it all on tyrannosaurs.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
RR is a reasonable cost for a 1/1 and a Lotus Petal.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

RR is a reasonable cost for a 1/1 and a Lotus Petal.

A 1/1 with Tribal synergies, even

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

Well, I'm glad they're not pushing all the mythics.

They couldn't have made it an instant for that mana cost?

Gearhulk would be stupid as gently caress if you could cast it, eat an attacker and draw 7 cards. I suspect that's the reason why they split the card draw that way. They probably should have just not printed Gearhulk, but it is what it is.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
They like making these strictly-better Hunt the Weak variants for limited. This seems like a high pick

https://twitter.com/maro254/status/905162386113310720

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dinosuar tribal fight card when Dinosaurs have enrage, most obvious thing ever.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Death Bot posted:

I was given the advice at some point to just start with picking the best card in every pack and you will figure out pretty quickly what colors are open. Obviously there's deeper strategy available, but once your 2-5 picks are the same color that should be a pretty big hint

How has that worked out for you? I'm going to try that out the next time I draft instead of sticking myself into a color early. Draft before last, that still put me in a couple colors early but that draft was bizarre (I ended up playing 4 unquenchable thirsts, 3 ambuscades, and 4 unsummons)

On another note, if you're drafting a control deck how often do you hold your control cards for your opponent's bombs? For example, is it worth thirsting a cursed minotaur that's chipping at you on turn three, or do you hold it in anticipation of their angel of condemnation that you saw last game? I know that there's not a blanket answer to this because of all the other factors involved.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Veyrall posted:

Automatic 4-of in Miracles.

Or, I guess the budget option for monored devotion.

Who would play this over Warren Instigator

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Tainen posted:

Savage Stomp

Forget dinosaurs, curve winding consictor into that and you have a 4/5 and their dude is dead.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

A 1/1 with Tribal synergies, even

Are these goblins lemurs for some reason?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Remember when "drafting dinosaurs" was a term used for a good fallback draft strategy in any format that had a lot of big dumb green guys? Now it's a thing you're supposed to try to do!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Entropic posted:

mono white taxes? almost all of those decks are soft to the mana denial plan when you're on the play, except affinity and coco but with such a small field you can go heavy on the sideboard hate

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 5, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'm still surprised they had O-Ring for so long, got rid of it and replaced it with a card with the "proper" formatting and then never printed Banishing Light again.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Entropic posted:

They like making these strictly-better Hunt the Weak variants for limited. This seems like a high pick

https://twitter.com/maro254/status/905162386113310720

I saw Rosewater's name scrolling down before I saw the tweet so I had the experience of, "God, I hope he doesn't do the whole "World, meet [card name]" thing agai-dammit."

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm still surprised they had O-Ring for so long, got rid of it and replaced it with a card with the "proper" formatting and then never printed Banishing Light again.

Banishing light will probably come back with the return of core sets

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

They've used the template for many other designs that probably wouldn't have been around if the "until" formatting was never invented. Banishing Light is the most vanilla use of it possible, so it's good they're trying different variations.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Where is the exiled card coming back?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Kuiperdolin posted:

Where is the exiled card coming back?

Between this and Hostage Taker, their templating sure is getting lazy this set.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

The Human Crouton posted:

It's literally just Brain maggot's templating dude, this isn't an issue

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

It's not an issue, the way "until" is worded and interpreted it always returns to where it was exiled from.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

It's not an issue, the way "until" is worded and interpreted it always returns to where it was exiled from.

Ok. I was just using Tidehollow Sculler as a reference. Didn't know that being able to return to hand was explicit in the rules.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ok. I was just using Tidehollow Sculler as a reference. Didn't know that being able to return to hand was explicit in the rules.

Since Banisher Priest they've moved away from the "two separate triggers" templating model in favour of "until" which puts things back where they came from when the condition ends. Mostly to avoid having to explain how the stack works to new players when someone pulls the "blink my o-ring in response to the ETB trigger" trick.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I got assigned Caw Blade in the Worldwake Gauntlet and every match has involved my opponent rage-quitting at some point where they weren't close to losing.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/RosewattaStone

This is the good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Entropic posted:

Since Banisher Priest they've moved away from the "two separate triggers" templating model in favour of "until" which puts things back where they came from when the condition ends. Mostly to avoid having to explain how the stack works to new players when someone pulls the "blink my o-ring in response to the ETB trigger" trick.

Ok. That makes sense. I had a faceless butcher deck back in the day that pulled the same trick, and the rules debate was a pain. I've been playing magic since before and after the template change, but I never had reason to notice it until today.