Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rigel posted:

Yes, Trump can have Mueller fired, and there's two ways to do it. He can either fire Sessions and start firing acting AG's until he gets someone willing to fire Mueller, or Trump can change the rule saying he can't directly fire Mueller.

Trump's fate if he did that would depend entirely on the 2018 elections. If Trump's approval falls below 30, and the GOP gets curbstomped in 2018 to the point where they start losing "safe" seats like Texas, then the GOP will freak the gently caress out and get rid of him. If the election results are milder than that, then he probably survives through 2020 if nothing else is uncovered.

Wait, where is there indication that sub-30 approval ratings mean he loses Texas? Sure, a -20GOP likely voter swing starts making district maps fly out the window, but is there a good way to map approval rating to congressional elections?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
How did Fox News pronounce Mario?

This is very important.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

Wait, where is there indication that sub-30 approval ratings mean he loses Texas? Sure, a -20GOP likely voter swing starts making district maps fly out the window, but is there a good way to map approval rating to congressional elections?

there isn't, is the short answer.

trump's abysmally unpopular. but remember that campaign to paint him as different from the Republican pack?

good news, it's just about the only thing the Hillary campaign pushed that paid off

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

PhazonLink posted:

This is very important.

Like Maria but with an O at the end.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

"They're rapists..."

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Potato Salad posted:

A generic Republican doesn't lose Texas in 2018 in almost any circumstances, but in this case the Republican is Ted Cruz, and the circumstances are that Trump is acting like a secret Democratic double-agent doing everything in his power to destroy the GOP from within.

Its still unlikely, but we can dream. Texas isn't like Alabama, there's a huge latino population and political demographers have been dreaming of a purple Texas for a while. We're probably still over a decade away.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

PhazonLink posted:

This is very important.

This is true. If they had uttered "Mare-eeo" I would have rushed over to the studio with an AK like that one guy did to Discovery channel

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

There isn't. Though potentially killing the gerrymandered districts might help flip it some as well. I don't know what the timeline is for redistricting those nor what the net impact would be on that, but presumably it would be bad for the GOP. Texas is definitely turning bluer but there's still a critical mass of shitheads and they've got quite the machine at work keeping those shitheads loyal and entrenching themselves.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Democrazy posted:

Is this a broken clock situation, or are the bishops still hyperconservetive even after Father Dolan stepped down?

There's a really strong conservative faction in the US. One of their ringleaders is good buddies with Steve Bannon. :saddowns:

They loving hate Francis. At least one of em was flirting with sedevacantist dogwhistles.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rigel posted:

Yes, Trump can have Mueller fired, and there's two ways to do it. He can either fire Sessions and start firing acting AG's until he gets someone willing to fire Mueller, or Trump can change the rule saying he can't directly fire Mueller.

Right, it's the latter I'm interested in. He can do the Saturday Night Massacre route or direct firing. My question is whether Trump has the authority to fire a special counsel, given its relatively unique nature to the DoJ - could Mueller be told he's fired, turn to Rosenstein and go "am I fired? No? Okay then." and go about his business, or would Trump be able to override Rosenstein's authority? There are limits to the president's Article II powers, and I was wondering if Mueller was someone able to protect himself this way.

Again, I know impeachment is far more likely but I was interested in the legality/constitutional basis.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Rigel posted:

A generic Republican doesn't lose Texas in 2018 in almost any circumstances, but in this case the Republican is Ted Cruz, and the circumstances are that Trump is acting like a secret Democratic double-agent doing everything in his power to destroy the GOP from within.

Its still unlikely, but we can dream. Texas isn't like Alabama, there's a huge latino population and political demographers have been dreaming of a purple Texas for a while. We're probably still over a decade away.

Er, aren't there a ton of black voters in Alabama that could push it blue if the GOP vote is even a little depressed? I thought that was everyone's hope with the AL-Sen election this winter.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

axeil posted:

Er, aren't there a ton of black voters in Alabama that could push it blue if the GOP vote is even a little depressed? I thought that was everyone's hope with the AL-Sen election this winter.

Alabama is 70% White.

So, no.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

axeil posted:

Alabama has 9 congressional seats and in the 2008 election was only 5-4 Republican. Though one Democrat immediately switched parties and another might as well have.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

skylined! posted:

well ya rick scott building a giant fan to blow the hurricane back out into the atlantic isn't really feasible

Brb, writing project proposal

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

axeil posted:

not really - alabama and mississippi are very black states relative to the rest of the us but they're still majority white states. neither of those states have any significant cities, meaning no real population attraction or growth, meaning they're safe red for now

there are enough rural persons of color to swing a few house seats from the backwater south and make the black belt a thing but in terms of electoral demographics you need cities. alabama barely has them and mississippi definitely does not

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

Koalas March posted:

This is what kills me. We get our first black president and naturally the next guy comes and erases any legacy he would've had.

Ironically, Obama's legacy will be that he was the last classically presidential president because it is going to go Trump --> Zuckerburg --> The Rock --> George Clooney/Kayne --> Former Majority Leader Kid Rock ---> Elon Musk's Incorporeal Transcendent Mind

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Kubrick posted:

Ironically, Obama's legacy will be that he was the last classically presidential president because it is going to go Trump --> Zuckerburg --> The Rock --> George Clooney/Kayne --> Former Majority Leader Kid Rock ---> Elon Musk's Incorporeal Transcendent Mind

TMs can't be elected if they reside on Mars.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
also the rural black folk who live in alabama would be solid republican voters in terms of social conservativism and the religious vote if the republicans hadn't spent years actively trying to discourage black conservatives

RuanGacho posted:

for legal residency reasons, 50.01% of musk's computational cycles will take place in subsidized data centers in the antarctic

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

RuanGacho posted:

That's where America evacuates to after the category 9 hurricanes.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

See this is where the CNN chyron guy needs to get sassy "Has a 'great heart' for DREAMERS (called them rapists and criminals)

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Kubrick posted:

You forgot about Ronald Reagan's exhumed corpse in 2039, which was put on trial for the resurgence of the EUSSR after World War IV.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Tesseraction posted:

Right, it's the latter I'm interested in. He can do the Saturday Night Massacre route or direct firing. My question is whether Trump has the authority to fire a special counsel, given its relatively unique nature to the DoJ - could Mueller be told he's fired, turn to Rosenstein and go "am I fired? No? Okay then." and go about his business, or would Trump be able to override Rosenstein's authority? There are limits to the president's Article II powers, and I was wondering if Mueller was someone able to protect himself this way.

Again, I know impeachment is far more likely but I was interested in the legality/constitutional basis.

The congress has the power to pass a law to appoint a special prosecutor and to restrict the president's power to fire him, but they have not done that. Since the independent counsel law expired, there is currently no law governing special prosecutors, they are appointed by DOJ. If it went to court, I believe they would rule in favor of Trump, and tell congress that if they don't like it, then they should do something about it. Currently Muller is 3 steps below Trump in the executive branch org chart.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Ripoff posted:

You forgot about Ronald Reagan's exhumed corpse in 2039, which was put on trial for the resurgence of the EUSSR after World War IV.

Please, as if he'd beat FDR's exhumed corpse in 2039, which was put on trial for the resurgence of Nazi Germany after World War V.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
yeah i know, twitter thread, but still:

https://twitter.com/aguaachiles/status/904936124648263680

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

boner confessor posted:

not really - alabama and mississippi are very black states relative to the rest of the us but they're still majority white states. neither of those states have any significant cities, meaning no real population attraction or growth, meaning they're safe red for now

there are enough rural persons of color to swing a few house seats from the backwater south and make the black belt a thing but in terms of electoral demographics you need cities. alabama barely has them and mississippi definitely does not

Yeah, there's really no hope of seeing Alabama and Mississippi go blue during any of our lifetimes.

Texas by contrast currently has more latino schoolchildren than white children. If everyone over the age of 50 in Texas died tomorrow, whites might be a minority. The GOP isn't necessarily going to get turbofucked tomorrow over this racist poo poo, but in the long run Trump is dooming the party.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ripoff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRdNOQcfp-8

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Not wrong but the argument ad humanity was lost long ago (around the beginning of November, specifically).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Koalas March posted:

also wait did people itt think "mobile homes" were something you could just slap some wheels on and drive away like an RV? :psyduck:

I guess it's because I'm poor but it always amazes me to see how little people know about the "lower classes"

I actually assumed a lot of them were single-piece if horrendously inconvenient (thanks to a sample size of one acquaintance living in one that could plausibly have been single piece). I had also seen at least one that could absolutely not have legally or logistically been carried all at once though :toot:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Look, just because I want to break up their families and deport them to a country they've never lived in where they don't even speak the language, doesn't mean I don't love them.

I mean, look at how he treats family members who he 'loves'

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Enigma89 posted:

That's fair. The one thing I do want to re-mention is a thought I had about Trump getting elected. People were scared and frightened (For good reason) but a silver lining of him winning is having everyone realize how much power the President really has. Obviously it's much more thatn originally intended and it's probably not a good thing. Obama, despite my disagreements with him, seemed like a good dude and you could trust him to not do stuff out of malice. But now that you have an idiot as president, the powers he has become very scary.

My only wish is that the office of the presidency, really starts to get a lot of these powers or implied powers taken away so it's not so scary if an idiot like Trump gets elected (again). I know I am one of the few Ron Paul fans out here but a big reason why I really liked him was because IMO, he tried to color within the lines. May not agree on the policy but at least he tried to follow the rules, word by word. I rather have the country be crippled by inaction via Congress than a President who steps in and starts to gobble up power to try to correct things and then to have those powers be transferred over to a Trumpesque leader.

e;
Sort of shooting from the hip but I hope that made sense.

Honestly, gently caress having a President. Make it a triumvirate and elect one every two years.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

We interrupt the ceaseless horror and bleak despair of the Trump presidency with this random bird tweet.

https://twitter.com/adventuresofrob/status/904832540732780545

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

I disagree with him.

This: https://twitter.com/aguaachiles/status/904936223726215169

Is not a problem.

This: https://twitter.com/aguaachiles/status/904936706935218176

Is a large problem.
He doesn't deserve to be here because he's human, that's nonsense.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Rigel posted:

Yeah, there's really no hope of seeing Alabama and Mississippi go blue during any of our lifetimes.

Texas by contrast currently has more latino schoolchildren than white children. If everyone over the age of 50 in Texas died tomorrow, whites might be a minority. The GOP isn't necessarily going to get turbofucked tomorrow over this racist poo poo, but in the long run Trump is dooming the party.

I've had more than one acquaintance in my midsize Texas city express concern that some of the upcoming school generations are majority minority :ohdear:

The first time my flabber was sufficiently gasted that I couldn't do a lot more than just kinda sputter but the second time I went "good!" and planted my flag firmly on race traitor hill in the course of arguing that racial diversity is in and of itself to white defaultitude / supremacy :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

farraday posted:

I mean, you could make an argument that nation-states are bullshit, but it's not one you can really support.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

i've lived in a house with a sun conure and i can tell you right now they are not nice and they are not smart also loud as HELL for their size

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

farraday posted:

explain

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

farraday posted:

I disagree with him.

This: https://twitter.com/aguaachiles/status/904936223726215169

Is not a problem.

This: https://twitter.com/aguaachiles/status/904936706935218176

Is a large problem.

How about : he has lived in this nation state his entire adult life, maybe the majority of his entire life, and because exile is considered a violation of fundamental human rights, being human gives him the right to remain here.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

farraday posted:

Isn't jus solis one of the biggest things about the US?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

There are a lot of humans on earth...

There is not a question of them deserving to be here. They are here or they are not. Does he deserve citizenship or at least a path to it? Absolutely, and it's based on a lot more than the fact that he's a human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

Isn't jus solis one of the biggest things about the US?

If they're a DACA recipient then they weren't born in the US, they were brought to the country as a child

• Locked thread