Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

deoju posted:

I remember my brother forged Bernie Nichols' autograph and tried to sell it when he was maybe 12. The card shop owner laughed at him.

That's my my story about Bernie Nichols.

hahahaha that's awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
man I always forget Bernie Nicholls scored fuckin 70 goals that one year. I mean obviously he was a good player but when you're looking at the list of "Players who score 70 goals in a season" or "Players who had 150+ points in a season" his name always sticks out

Edit:
70+ goal seasons: Gretzky (x3), Hull (x3), Lemieux (x2), Selanne, Esposito, Mogilny, Kurri, Nicholls

150+ points: Gretzky (x10), Lemieux (x4), Yzerman, Esposito, Nicholls

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jamwad Hilder posted:

man I always forget Bernie Nicholls scored fuckin 70 goals that one year. I mean obviously he was a good player but when you're looking at the list of "Players who score 70 goals in a season" or "Players who had 150+ points in a season" his name always sticks out

Edit:
70+ goal seasons: Gretzky (x3), Hull (x3), Lemieux (x2), Selanne, Esposito, Mogilny, Kurri, Nicholls

The level and longevity of Gretzky's dominance always blows me away.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Edit:

The 150 points one is my favourite random hockey trivia.

Doubly so because Jagr topped out at 149 in 1996.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

man I always forget Bernie Nicholls scored fuckin 70 goals that one year.

I'm not sure if the "Crosby effect" is real, but the "Gretzky effect" certainly was.

e: What's even more incredible about that Bernie year is he never even hit 50 goals outside of that year let alone 60 or 70.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
lemieux was good enough that he managed to fool the entire hockey world into thinking kevin stevens was a good NHL forward

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

The 150 points one is my favourite random hockey trivia.

Doubly so because Jagr topped out at 149 in 1996.

Jagr's 127 in 1998/99 at a time when the league was averaging just 2.63 goals a game is arguably more impressive. That was the 3rd lowest scoring season of all time and he managed more points in a single season than anyone since.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

bewbies posted:

lemieux was good enough that he managed to fool the entire hockey world into thinking kevin stevens was a good NHL forward

So this is a bit before my time but wasn't Kevin Stevens actually pretty decent until he decided to go all in on the Bryan Fogarty Fitness Plan?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
it's wild to look at goalie stats in those days too and seeing that Roy being at .908, less than league average now, is like 10 points better than the next best guy

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Hand Knit posted:

So this is a bit before my time but wasn't Kevin Stevens actually pretty decent until he decided to go all in on the Bryan Fogarty Fitness Plan?

Idk about any of this but I hated him as a Ranger.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

He was good until he broke his jaw in a fight and then he got into crack after that and it went downhill pretty quickly.

For about two-three years he was one of if not the premiere power forwards in hockey and I kinda miss that there's not really a modern player like him any more. Guys that are that good at scoring now don't bother fighting really. The closest you'll see is someone like Ovechkin but he doesn't fight. Guys like Lucic are a pale imitation of Artie.

e: Lemieux probably had more than a little bit to do with Stevens' career years though, yeah

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Flyers maintain the same broadcast crew for TV and radio this season

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Is Chris Therien the fat guy who sits near the benches and yells the most obvious comments all game?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I bet Tim Saunders is thrilled

Ginette Reno posted:

Is Chris Therien the fat guy who sits near the benches and yells the most obvious comments all game?
Yep. He lost a ton of weight and looked like a deflated balloon for a minute, but I think he evened out a bit

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

shyduck posted:

I bet Tim Saunders is thrilled

God I know. I love Tim and he's a great call but man you can tell Coatsey wears on him.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Ginette Reno posted:

He was good until he broke his jaw in a fight and then he got into crack after that and it went downhill pretty quickly.

For about two-three years he was one of if not the premiere power forwards in hockey and I kinda miss that there's not really a modern player like him any more. Guys that are that good at scoring now don't bother fighting really. The closest you'll see is someone like Ovechkin but he doesn't fight. Guys like Lucic are a pale imitation of Artie.

e: Lemieux probably had more than a little bit to do with Stevens' career years though, yeah

people figured out it's better for your bigtime goal scorers to spend more time on the ice and less in the box

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

people figured out it's better for your bigtime goal scorers to spend more time on the ice and less in the box

which totally makes sense but there's something enjoyable about a meat head who scores goals and punches people

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

This is good. For me I grew up with Jackson broadcasting the Flyers, so whether people like him or not, I'll always be a fan just because the voice is synonymous with hockey to me (unless has some horrible skeletons in his closet or something). Jones, Clement and Therian are all fine.

Coates is one of the worst, and while I sympathize with anyone who listens to the radio, I'm just happy he is buried there. Just renewed my NHL subscription, so at the least I won't have to listen to Coates.

I'm now in St Louis, so I guess I'll find out if the local media here is any good for Blues games.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm now in St Louis, so I guess I'll find out if the local media here is any good for Blues games.
They've got a decent crew. Darren Pang is their TV color guy.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah I've got no beef with that TV crew. Jackson's been doing flyers games for what seems like ages now

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

he was really good at back door tap ins resulting from passes only mario lemieux could see

real answer: he was probably somewhere around "average 1st line player" who got vaulted to "elite generational superstar power forward" status by playing regularly with lemieux or, when he was hurt, with the guy who is 2nd all time in assists

Duckman2008 posted:

kelly and pang are fantastic...pang is one of my favorites in any sport. federko is just awful and is usually drunk, kelly chase is probably the worst broadcaster in hockey, thank god I don't have to hear him much.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 5, 2017

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Member when Iggy and Lecavalier fought in the cup finals? That was beautiful. :allears:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

bewbies posted:

he was really good at back door tap ins resulting from passes only mario lemieux could see

real answer: he was probably somewhere around "average 1st line player" who got vaulted to "elite generational superstar power forward" status by playing regularly with lemieux or, when he was hurt, with the guy who is 2nd all time in assists

kelly and pang are fantastic...pang is one of my favorites in any sport. federko is just awful and is usually drunk, kelly chase is probably the worst broadcaster in hockey, thank god I don't have to hear him much.

John Kelly is boring but competent. Pang rules and so does Federko. If you hate Federko, you gotta hate Hrabowsky and Mike Shannon too.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

JoelJoel posted:

Member when Iggy and Lecavalier fought in the cup finals? That was beautiful. :allears:

ya that whipped rear end

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Bad Richards and Brian Leetch apparently joining the rangers in hockey ops roles

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Glambags posted:

Bad Richards and Brian Leetch apparently joining the rangers in hockey ops roles

For some reason I feel like I keep seeing people saying that Richards is actually a pretty smart hockey dude with good connections

Leetch is funny because I'm pretty sure he hated Sather after being traded and only recently has started coming back to the Rangers fold

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

AsInHowe posted:

Ken Holland bungling away the Red Wings' best player makes absolute sense.

He's not old enough, not enough of a grinder

I mean AA is good and I'm furious at the thought of losing him but I still think Mantha and Larkin are better. AA is probably not worth $3 mil a year yet but when you have Riley Sheahan about to make 2.25 a year....

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Jagr considering the Olympics since he doesn't have a contract.

gently caress yeah, grey beard Jagr snatching another gold on his way out would be rad.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

clean ayers act posted:

I mean AA is good and I'm furious at the thought of losing him but I still think Mantha and Larkin are better. AA is probably not worth $3 mil a year yet but when you have Riley Sheahan about to make 2.25 a year....

What about Nielsen? Is Nielsen better?

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

clean ayers act posted:

AA is probably not worth $3 mil a year yet but when you have Riley Sheahan about to make 2.25 a year....

Well by that logic, since Abdelkader makes $4.25 mil AAV and Athanasiou is better than him, he really should be making $5+ mil AAV on his next contract.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Kilza posted:

Well by that logic, since Abdelkader makes $4.25 mil AAV and Athanasiou is better than him, he really should be making $5+ mil AAV on his next contract.

This is why overpay contracts are worse than just the one guy's cap hit. When people like Tom Wilson have multi-million dollar contracts it creates a higher floor for negotiations with other players who might otherwise be comparing against replacement level contract numbers. When you have a whole team of bad contracts it becomes impossible to sign people for their actual value.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

clean ayers act posted:

Let's not forget Luke Glendening making 1.8

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Hope y'all are ready for the next lockout because GMs can't save themselves from themselves.

Is Donald Fair still running things for the PA? I know management will always come out on top over labor, but at least him seemed like he caught the owners off guard by being competent and didn't let the players get their poo poo handed to them too badly.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

In what world is AA worth 3.9M and a second round pick? He's a good player, but he's a 24 year old middle 6, likely bottom 6, player who shot 15% last season.

his career AHL shooting percent right now is 14. over 37 games in 15-16 in the NHL, he shot 17%. maybe... maybe this guy just shoots good.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Canucks prospect who I was very excited to watch this weekend Jonathan Dahlen has mono.

That's terrible for him, but it's also going to be very funny for people who aren't really paying attention and read that as Rasmus Dahlin having mono.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Schremp Howard posted:

Hope y'all are ready for the next lockout because GMs can't save themselves from themselves.

A permanent state of readiness is just what we do now

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Awww, nevermind. The Red Wings signed the guy

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

https://twitter.com/detroitredwings/status/905203794576891906

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Pierre LeBrun joined the athletic and I believe Michael Russo who was a stellar loving beat writer for the Wild is about to announce that he's joining too. I think tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/GoldenKnights/status/905213860788895744

god their twitter team has been so loving good

• Locked thread