Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Palpek posted:

Hatoful Boyfriend being one of the monthly PSN+ games made me smirk.

:iia:

I like it when Sony exhibits traits that imply actual human beings with a sense of humor work there. Likely the one intern they go to every month and ask "what's an indie game we can give away without losing any money?"

Everyone please play Hatoful Boyfriend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The yakuza zero story had me jumping around one minute and loving crying the next it so hype ive never been more invested in a game narrative ever aside from the original nier and also you can do disco dancing

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

I mean something like that is going to happen at least once or twice with every SMT game

that's just how it is

It's bad

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Raxivace posted:

What's been everyone's biggest surprise this year that they enjoyed? For me it was Friday the 13th: The Game.

I had never heard of Rain World and Hollow Knight until they came out and they're two of the best games I've played this year

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Real hurthling! posted:

The yakuza zero story had me jumping around one minute and loving crying the next it so hype ive never been more invested in a game narrative ever aside from the original nier and also you can do disco dancing

:same:

It has the best story in the series by an extremely wide margin. Like, Akiyama in 4 was good, but 0 is next level, especially Majima's side of things.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was surprised at how good the Splatoon 2 horde mode is

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

:same:

It has the best story in the series by an extremely wide margin. Like, Akiyama in 4 was good, but 0 is next level, especially Majima's side of things.

The trailer for 2 kiwami has the 0 girl in it so you know they are cooking up some crazy good poo poo with her korean mafia history and tying that into the korean mafia story of 2.
Its gonna be so sick i cant believe im wishing 6 would hurry up and get out the way.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/NotBrunoAgain/status/905173449064185857

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The deep Knack lore

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Knack being so expressive in an otherwise boring bland game is very funny and makes great gifs.

Mark cerny having a particles boner and pawning off every other aspect of the game to some warm bodies is also very funny

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean 18 was basically the Z redesign of Launch. Complete with Krillin falling for her.

I heard that the driving instructor from dbz was originally intended to be Launch but they changed it.

It's a shame too that Launch wasn't around in dbz because iirc, Toriyama's reason for that was that he forgot she existed.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

my top 10 games of 2017

pubg

knack 2

star citizen

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

I was surprised at how good the Splatoon 2 horde mode is

Are there any other horde games you would compare it to? My only experience with that kind of gameplay is Killing Floor. Is it like Killing Floor where you go in and kill enemies and between waves you can do some upgrade stuff and at the end of the waves you fight a boss and that's the end of it, or is it strictly "infinite waves, last as long as you can" kinda thing, or something else?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Are there any other horde games you would compare it to? My only experience with that kind of gameplay is Killing Floor. Is it like Killing Floor where you go in and kill enemies and between waves you can do some upgrade stuff and at the end of the waves you fight a boss and that's the end of it, or is it strictly "infinite waves, last as long as you can" kinda thing, or something else?

it's three waves where a few different kinds of trash mobs constantly spawn in, and there's a pool of like eight different "bosses" that get pulled one or two at a time. water level raises and lowers each wave, making some more claustrophobic than others, and there are a few special waves like a nighttime zombie thing or a foggy one that has an exclusive boss that only spawns then. each wave has a quota of golden eggs for you to collect, which drop from the bosses, and steadily increases with each wave. in addition the later waves have more stuff spawning to make them more difficult.

e: and you are randomly assigned one of four weapons at the beginning of each wave, changing how you'll tackle the bosses and what special move you have.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Nier A was great despite the massive goon hype, Horizon was great, I'm 12 chapters into Yakuza Zero and its such a rarity being a game with a sense of humour. Loving it so far.

Persona 5 is a special game but I might not finish it this year. PubG is a fantastic game concept but I have to force myself to play it most of the time. Crash Bandicoot is almost too much of what I wanted and feels so familiar that I kinda petered out on it.

Destiny 2 will be fun, monster hunter is gonna give me the feels. Oh and of course we still have rocket league.

VIDEOGAMES doing good yo.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Isn't MHW next year?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

While it's ultimately up to the CEO of Square Enix, he says that "if things are taken a little too far," the mods for Final Fantasy 15 might affect the moddability of future Final Fantasy games. "So if there's anything we can say, it's try to be as controlled as possible."

i'm gonna make the biggest dick mod in the world

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

homeless snail posted:

Gladio is already in the game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

raditts posted:

I never thought about it before, but Launch sure has the aim of a stormtrooper
Not really. There are a couple times where she does fill them with bullet holes, even Goku.

Everyone plays that game at double speed because the animations take forever. The game doesn't give a drat how canonically powerful anyone is and I had a joke character Saibaman tear through half the story mode because he buffed everyone to ridiculous heights. There is a game mode where you put together a garbage character team to meet a point requirement and fight overpowered bosses through attrition for medals eventually used to upgrade one character a tier higher, because no one would ever use 3/4 of the available cards because of the power level creep.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 5, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Phantasium posted:

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

Boom

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hello, opportunity!
I've come up with a new recipe!
I can taste test it for you.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

chumbler posted:

Isn't MHW next year?

Aw gently caress :(

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

homeless snail posted:

you have to give gladio and prompto really big dicks with exaggerated gravity physics but noct a really small dick, and then se will take action

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Macarius Wrench posted:

Aw gently caress :(

Good thing you have a ps4 otherwise it might not even be next year

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Gladio says Noctis has a small dick when he catches a tiny fish, it is canon

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This is the best paragraph of games writing I've encountered this year

"Worst of all is Knack himself: a lumpen thug of a hero at one end of the scale and a scamperer through endless ductwork at the other. His shrinking rarely leads to memorable puzzles, just as his ability to grow over the course of a level rarely adds a genuine sense of Katamari-ish momentum to proceedings. This loveable children's hero spends quite a lot of his time smacking around people who are much smaller than him, and to compound things, he seems to have been based on that famously loveable children's favourite Ganon, the murderous uber-monster and nightmare creature from the Zelda games. I remember reading once that good children's character design acknowledges the awesome power of the humble circle, Mickey Mouse being the prime example. Knack is spiky and angular and forgettable. I doubt that there is much in the way of a Knack cosplay community, and not just because it would be so uncomfortable to sit down in character."

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm playing Hearthstone again and kind of enjoying it, even though it remains a total joke as a competitive game and the mode that Blizzard has actively focused on balancing is, predictably, in worse shape than the one they neglected.

I've wanted Control Shaman to actually be good forever and it finally happened, though, at least for a few more days until the Hex nerf comes down.

it's not quite as polished but I switched over to Eternal now that it's on phones and it's a lot more fun IMO. Somewhere in between Magic and Hearthstone in complexity, you have a similar mana system to Magic so you have a lot more freedom building decks & you have counterspells and poo poo you can play on your opponent's turn. Also it's like ...... ACTUALLY free to play. I had a top tier competitive deck within a week of starting a new account without spending any money. Oh and also the draft mode is like a real actual draft where you get to keep the cards you pick so it's really really good value

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sony accidentally made Knack 2 free in every region that isn't US/Japan so make a Australia account and grab that hot release while you can

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The demo is so bad i wouldnt d/l it for a 5 dollar rebate

The only good thing about knack 2 is the upcoming vgdunky video about it

Knack 2 baybee, ha ha!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hopefully the meme games will die with Bubsy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just started before the storm and it's already hella good

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DLC Inc posted:

it was less about that in the long run and more about how the economy and mechanics of upgrading / acquiring Light levels / etc were changed in the first few months, it was kind of insane. But yeah 5 strikes is laughable and I'm willing to bet the 40 or so other "activities" are just tedious busywork collecting spindles and rocks

the thing about raids (or strikes. whatever) is they're actually pretty hard to make if you're gonna put the effort in, and the big MMOs don't add them that often either (ff14 is sort of an exception but all its raids are corridors). but people are conditioned to expect a shitton because all the major mmos out have been here so long that they have a bunch of them.

when wow was new it had, what, one raid? but that was over a decade ago lol

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
try my innovative french drm solution, denouveau

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When WoW came out there was literally no playbook for what raids should be like besides really big tough bad guys you beat with 40 people instead of 5. Our ideas that raids should be highly organized events with complex boss encounters comes entirely from WoW post-BWL and beyond.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

the thing about raids (or strikes. whatever) is they're actually pretty hard to make if you're gonna put the effort in, and the big MMOs don't add them that often either (ff14 is sort of an exception but all its raids are corridors). but people are conditioned to expect a shitton because all the major mmos out have been here so long that they have a bunch of them.

when wow was new it had, what, one raid? but that was over a decade ago lol
strikes are dungeons though, you definitely need more than 5 dungeons

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

They're going to sell millions with just 5 so actually they don't

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I watched a preview that went through the open beta strike and it honestly didn't look that impressive. There was like one kinda cool set piece with the huge drill, but the rest looked kinda bland.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

lets hang out posted:

They're going to sell millions with just 5 so actually they don't
they're gonna sell millions regardless of how bad they make the game so lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

Probably Horizon. People that as far as I know have only ever made kinda mediocre brown-grey shooters are making a colorful open world game that didn't have much information for it before release and then it ended up being amazing?

Yeah, when I saw previews my thoughts were "Great, yet another open world 3rd person action game with a 'survival' theme where I have to collect 20 muskrat scrotums to construct a bag to increase my vole scrotum carry limit :rolleyes:"

It totally was that (and the hunt animals to make your bags bigger was the worst part, holy poo poo devs stop doing this) but it was also really good. I think a big part was that they actually justified the variety of weapons/ammo/enemy types by making them all fairly unique and useful. The story was pretty engaging and the graphics were amazing.

My biggest complaint was that even on the easiest difficult the core gameplay was too hard for non-gamers that might have enjoyed the other part of the game. My girlfriend liked Infamous: Second Son but Horizon was just too tough for her. Now apparently they've added a mode for people of that skill level, which is great because the game has a lot of stuff to enjoy even if you don't care too much about the gameplay.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 6, 2017

• Locked thread