Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You really should have told the story of the punk band if you wanted to sell them on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I gotta ask the real burning question that we're all dying to know about Gen Con 50:

How was Tom Cruise's Thighs?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Bottom Liner posted:

You really should have told the story of the punk band if you wanted to sell them on it

Yeah okay so one of the things that really sold me on the game was listening to an actual play podcast of the game that you can find here: http://oneshotpodcast.com/podcasts/one-shot/150-red-markets-part-1/

See, in the half-apocalypse future, eccentric rich people/corporations who live in the nice parts of the world, often have crazy missions they want the poor people in the apocalypse to do. The one-shot I played at gencon was finding a rare autographed portrait of fat elvis for a mob boss.

The podcast session features a popular punk band that, in their effort to be punk as gently caress, not only records their live albums in the zombie apocalypse, they also source their instruments and sound equipment from the apocalypse. So the PC's get hired (by the record company agent) to babysit a group of punks while they scavange a local high school for drums and guitars. They also have to provide security at their show for the inevitable "how is this punk band's live performance gonna gently caress us over", and boy oh boy does the punk band gently caress them over. It's great!

The session is GM'd by the creator and its pretty funny and well edited. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys podcasts and RPGs.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

LuiCypher posted:

I gotta ask the real burning question that we're all dying to know about Gen Con 50:

How was Tom Cruise's Thighs?

So I couldn't find anyone to go with me to that rpg so I skipped it. This turned out to be a good decision because the game was run by an organization called ConTessa which is "dedicated to increasing diverse representation by running events led entirely by marginalized people...we provide open, inclusive, and safe environments that diversify what a leader looks like in our hobby" (https://www.contessa.rocks)

That is really awesome! It's also a terrible thing to goonrush with a bunch of cis het dudes. So it all turned out for the best!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Oh man, that would have been hilarious.

We still need to organize the Werewolf sabotage with a mass of goons coming in one at a time and acting like strangers.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Fellis posted:

So I couldn't find anyone to go with me to that rpg so I skipped it. This turned out to be a good decision because the game was run by an organization called ConTessa which is "dedicated to increasing diverse representation by running events led entirely by marginalized people...we provide open, inclusive, and safe environments that diversify what a leader looks like in our hobby" (https://www.contessa.rocks)

That is really awesome! It's also a terrible thing to goonrush with a bunch of cis het dudes. So it all turned out for the best!

This post was a bit of a roller coaster, let me tell you

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Bottom Liner posted:

I mean the games that are literally played in the hallways outside the main halls. Like, beside the convention center doors heading to the JW and such. I always just saw people sitting in circles, I'm pretty sure those are just pickup games (but they definitely do have official Werewolf events too).

No, those are the official werewolf events in the ICC hallway near the JW, they just keep enough games running that they have no problem accepting walk-ups with generics. I had an all-weekend werewolf ribbon I bought several years ago before knowing that goons could fill all the gaming time I could hope for. They have a little table facing the hallway in one of the ICC rest areas where you pick up the ribbon or get matched up with a game if one of the GMs doesn't pull you in. The table also usually has the free "Gaymer" and "Ally" rainbow ribbons as well.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Yeah, Werewolf is ok. I usually get in a game or two during Gen Con. (I didn't this year.)

Now, if they had a set up like that for Resistance/Avalon - holy poo poo they could have all my tickets.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Junkie Disease posted:

Best new games you played at Gencon this year. GO!

I got to play TimeWatch with Kevin Kulp, the game's author. (It wasn't new this year but it's new to me.) It was phenomenal - a great adventure involving comic sans, a great table, and Kevin Kulp runs an excellent con game. I ended up picking up three of the books afterwards. The adventure was the "Font of Wisdom" one from Free RPG day, but it's hard to capture how well the game worked for time hijinks and how well Kevin rolled with the bizarre solution that one of the players came up with.

I got to play 10 Candles as well, which was very cool. I'd run it before but it's extremely helpful to see someone else run something so rules-light and improv heavy.

And I got to play Unknown Armies with Greg Stolze so my con games were all-around awesome. The UA game ended up being much more about personal relationships than earth-shattering monsters and it felt very right. This one also had just a great table of players.

LuiCypher posted:

I managed to playtest/demo two interesting games at Gen Con.

One was Wrestlenomicon, a 2-player card game by Arc Dream - Rob Heinsoo is the designer.

I really liked it. Some of the names for attacks are absurdly silly (Hastur has an attack called 'Say My Name Three Times') but I really like the momentum system (attacks appear on the momentum track in various places according to their 'speed' and further attacks also have a value that allows you to move cards closer to completion) because it feels like a fight. I mean, you're telegraphing the moves of deities the size of buildings and allowing for the opportunity to show a really big attack that you either move slowly or rush to completion, and it's all public knowledge. In addition, the last attack you successfully land can be used against you if your opponent lands an attack that 'punishes' that kind of attack.

It's really cool, and I'm Kickstarting it the moment it goes up. I also really respect Shane Ivey, because he told me that he wouldn't feel comfortable asking for more money in a kickstarter until they deliver the Case Officer's Handbook for Delta Green.

(snip)

Oh man, I was excited for this before I knew Rob Heinsoo was doing the design. Now, even more so. Is it strictly two-player?

Fellis posted:

Oh I also played Red Markets which is a zombie apocalypse RPG which was kickstarted last year and the pdf popped up just a month or so ago.

I know y'all will probably roll your eyes when you see the word 'zombie' followed by 'apocalypse', but Red Markets is actually good and like most good zombie movies, the undead are really not a problem, they just make everything mundane that you do really dangerous. The major enemy in this game (as in real life) is the crushing weight of capitalism and poverty as your PC's struggle to care for their dependants and equipment, and earn enough money to escape the terror of the zombie apocalypse, as there are vast parts of the world that are relatively untouched.

The best thing about the system in my opinion is that they handle crunchy resource tracking in an abstract way that feeds right into the rolling mehanics and even has good decision making attached.

For example, you need to track your PC's bullet usage, but instead of writing down numbers, you just have 10 charges of gun usage. Everytime you make a gun attack, you expend one charge of the gun. If you would like to increase your chances of success, you can expend additional charges before the roll for +1 each. The gun has a refresh cost to pay to get back charges, and each character additionally has a number of free refreshes based on their scavanging skill.

The resolution system is d10 based. Each roll is a positive (black) die minus a negative (red) die. If you roll net positive (in the black) you suceed, net negative (in the red) fails. Modified ties fail and natural ties are criticals (evens = sucess, odd = failure).

Another neat feature is that the GM barely rolls in the game. NPCs are compentent and will auto-hit unless the players spend actions to dodge or otherwise avoid damage. (However even barely trained athletics dodges 50% of the time per resolution mechanics above)

There is a thread on SA here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777241 if you'd like to read more/discuss. I really like the system and I'm really looking forward to the campaign I just started in it. It also makes a fantastic one-shot.

I am also happy to see some buzz for Red Markets. I got to play a game last year and it was a blast. The combat system is one of my favorites - you start with so many health boxes but they can go fast, and it really matters when you start to lose body parts. (In our game last year, it was terrifying when an Archivist dropped a grenade right in the middle of the group, especially when the Latent took a lot of damage.) I didn't think a location based health system could work so smoothly, but Red Markets manages that and the resource management without being ridiculously fiddly.

In addition to the awesome One Shot RM podcast, there's also two full campaigns on Role Playing Public Radio, along with a handful of one shot games. It's a great game and really does what it sets out to do.

Now, I have a question: did anyone actually try the Chill with Bob Ross game? Was it any good?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bob Ross game was an acceptable filler. Not gonna light the world on fire. It's a sort of push your luck set collection, racing game. We played 4 players, and it isn't optimized for different player counts. I would say it would be best at 3, maybe even 2.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Haystack posted:

This post was a bit of a roller coaster, let me tell you
Hahhahahaha it so was. As I started reading it I was like WAIT A MINUTE I LIKE HIM WHERE IS THIS GOh O.K good point *nod*

Edit: You know. Kind of like a roller coaster

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Are we going to keep this as the perpetual Gen Con Thread or start a fresh one for 2018. Can never start too early, its less than a year to the next one!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

Are we going to keep this as the perpetual Gen Con Thread or start a fresh one for 2018. Can never start too early, its less than a year to the next one!

Thinking like this is why my grocery store had halloween displays before gencon!!

New thread in January/February sounds better, otherwise it'll just be all shitposted up instead of people getting hype about the imminent hotel lottery

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
http://www.dicetowernews.com/gencon-50-wins-the-diana-jones-award/46748

:krad:

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Someone on the unofficial gen con facebook page said they already booked their hotel for next year. I do see on hotels.com some places available, and the only 3 downtown are $500+ a night. Is that guy just saying he committed to that price already or are there hotels that release at normal prices around this time?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Thanks for the reminder. I managed to grab a room two blocks from the convention center, although I had to split it into two reservations (at the same hotel). Hoping for skywalk access again from the lottery but at least we have a backup now.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Vehementi posted:

Someone on the unofficial gen con facebook page said they already booked their hotel for next year. I do see on hotels.com some places available, and the only 3 downtown are $500+ a night. Is that guy just saying he committed to that price already or are there hotels that release at normal prices around this time?
I do not actually know if I am the person you are citing, though it would be funny if I were, but for me it is really not quite as bad as it seems. I did not realize it until people started marveling at it, but being a member of Hilton's HHonors program evidently gives me the magical ability to reserve rooms at marginally reasonable prices even in circumstances like this... If you consider $300/night to be reasonable under any circumstances (which obviously I do).

My hotel stay almost always ends up the most expensive part of the convention for me anyway, so I just sort of roll with whatever happens. Though I did balk at the $450/night Conrad the first year everything was sold out early... But I also did not have a real job then.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Is there any reasonable way to start looking for accommodations around the convention center now, for next year? I had blast, of course, but driving in and out of town each morning/evening was a pain. Since I've always stayed with local friends, I don't actually know how the hotel lottery works.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

WerrWaaa posted:

Is there any reasonable way to start looking for accommodations around the convention center now, for next year? I had blast, of course, but driving in and out of town each morning/evening was a pain. Since I've always stayed with local friends, I don't actually know how the hotel lottery works.

Not really at the time, many hotels dont let you book then anymore, having wised up

As for how it works, you buy a badge early, and when hotel reg opens up you are given a time slot to access housing portal to actually make a reservation. If your time is over say 2 hours, there's probably nothing left within easy walking distance. Times vary from instant to 12 hours later.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
You could get a room at the Fairfield (behind the JW) as of Sunday night but it was $500 a night, they wanted the entire stay's cost up front, and you would not get a refund if you cancelled it more than one (1) day after booking.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah, nerd 1%ers can always make connected hotels work for Gen-Con; probably even nerd 5%ers!

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
I was at a hotel near the airport. $10-$12 uber each way. I split the room with a friend. We saved significantly more than $24/night by being that far out. The only downside was that if we bought a lot of games at the start of a day, we had to lug them around. Aside from that, there's not really any need to be in a hotel within walking distance. I definitely would not consider driving & parking & walking from the parking lot every day though.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I found a hotel 7.5 miles away, instead of 30 minutes. Its a bit more expensive and they have a $50 a night deposit fee (:wtc:) but it'll be worth not having to drive back and forth forever.

Looking over the email again, it says "credit card or cash deposit" so maybe the webpage was just really unclear about the typical credit card on file.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Vehementi posted:

I was at a hotel near the airport. $10-$12 uber each way. I split the room with a friend. We saved significantly more than $24/night by being that far out. The only downside was that if we bought a lot of games at the start of a day, we had to lug them around. Aside from that, there's not really any need to be in a hotel within walking distance. I definitely would not consider driving & parking & walking from the parking lot every day though.

I parked at the zoo two of my three days because it's 7 bux. It's about a 15 minute walk, which isn't too bad. But I also live in Indy so there's no reason for me to pay $2000 for a hotel

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yeah, nerd 1%ers can always make connected hotels work for Gen-Con; probably even nerd 5%ers!

Yup, poo poo ain't cheap, but skywalk access this year basically has me spoiled. I can't go back. I won't. Especially when dealing with cosplay crap (even though I'm basically just the cosplay assistant).

selnaric
Feb 20, 2006

I've gotten lucky and only stayed at skywalk connected hotels. I don't know if I could do non-connected. I know I don't want to.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Every time I've gone, I've stayed at the Circle Center Hampton which is like two blocks from the convention center. It's not a bad walk at all.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

That Old Tree posted:

Every time I've gone, I've stayed at the Circle Center Hampton which is like two blocks from the convention center. It's not a bad walk at all.

That Hampton is great and they do a great job with the continental breakfast. I stayed there this year and it was an all around enjoyable experience.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Just an FYI that hotel reservations for GenCon's try-hard step-sister, Origins, opened today. And of course the website was hosed. But it doesn't sell out like GenCon does so there should still be rooms available.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

That Old Tree posted:

I don't mind walking a few blocks to save money, but i definitely want to not commute.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

That Hampton is great and they do a great job with the continental breakfast. I stayed there this year and it was an all around enjoyable experience.

It's a solid place, to be certain. I've stayed there for two cons, and I agree that they put a lot of effort into the continental breakfast around Gen Con time. Can't complain about waffles!

Edit:

WerrWaaa posted:

I don't mind walking a few blocks to save money, but i definitely want to not commute.

In my insanity back in February, I feel like I addressed the housing issue quite comprehensively. Admittedly I could probably add more details about transportation/parking if you do not wind up in one of the fabled downtown hotels. Take a look if you've got the time.

LuiCypher posted:

Ugh. I don't know what compelled me to do this, but here's the quintessential GenCon Housing Guide based upon both my experiences and those of other goons in this thread for TYOOL 2017. Let me know if you think I missed anything major.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 6, 2017

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I've been connected every Gen Con except this year, and Circle Center wasn't a terrible walk. (I'm usually in the Hyatt, which is towards that side, anyway.)

If the weather hadn't cooperated as well as it did, though, it would have been poo poo. I think it only rained once, after I was already in the ICC, and it wasn't super hot.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

LuiCypher posted:

In my insanity back in February, I feel like I addressed the housing issue quite comprehensively. Admittedly I could probably add more details about transportation/parking if you do not wind up in one of the fabled downtown hotels. Take a look if you've got the time.

Gladly, thanks!

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I had to settle for airport so far for next year because i was late booking my usual hotel. I guess i get to play the lottery finally. Hoping to find a parking pass for the whole weekend soon so I dont have to deal with that everyday.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Ah yes doing cosplay would make a nearby hotel pretty necessary, didn't think of that

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

head58 posted:

Just an FYI that hotel reservations for GenCon's try-hard step-sister, Origins, opened today.

Origins is a good show to actually play games at. Gencon is a goddamn spectacle.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Skypie posted:

But I also live in Indy so there's no reason for me to pay $2000 for a hotel
Do you get a hotel at all? I always wonder what I would do if I actually moved to Indianapolis as far as Gen-Con is concerned, and I decided that it would not really feel like a vacation if I were still going back to my regular place afterward.

head58 posted:

Just an FYI that hotel reservations for GenCon's try-hard step-sister, Origins, opened today. And of course the website was hosed. But it doesn't sell out like GenCon does so there should still be rooms available.
Haha, try-hard step-sister. Nice. I dunno, Gen-Con and Origins were married in 1988 and 1992...though I guess there is nothing illegal about marrying your step-sister :(

Wow I had no idea Origins merged with DRAGONCON in 1990, how absurd. That is not quite as fascinating as learning this year that Gen-Con kind of only exists because Gary Gygax could not afford a trip to Pennsylvania in 1967, but it is still an intriguing connection.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yup, poo poo ain't cheap, but skywalk access this year basically has me spoiled. I can't go back. I won't. Especially when dealing with cosplay crap (even though I'm basically just the cosplay assistant).
It really does sound awful having to choose between like 30 minutes with your fairy wings stuffed into a hatchback or finding a place on-site to actually change. Some of those costumes have to be like hours-long preparation affairs that I can only imagine working if you have a connected hotel. The concept of your hotel dictating your clothes is certainly fascinating.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Do you get a hotel at all? I always wonder what I would do if I actually moved to Indianapolis as far as Gen-Con is concerned, and I decided that it would not really feel like a vacation if I were still going back to my regular place afterward.

Having lived in Milwaukee while Gen Con was there I can say that it doesn't feel like a vacation. Gen Con was definitely fun and I enjoyed it a lot, but it feels more special and vacation like now that I have to fly to get to it. Curious to see how it goes with Pax Unplugged this year since I live in Philly and will be either biking or taking the trolley there each day.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oooh, we're coming to PAX: Unplugged! Here's hoping it's kosher to use the GenCon groupme to find and hang with other goons while we're there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Someone actually made a Pax unplugged groupmen in the Pax unplugged thread. I think its only got like 3 goons in it at the moment but I am sure that will grow.

https://app.groupme.com/join_group/33309759/qHSJ5d

• Locked thread