Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Are you kidding me? Is this NASCAR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Chilton’s helmet owns.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

This race is all mixed up and that owns.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

the gently caress was that

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CONGRATS CHAMP DIXON.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

What the gently caress?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Bourdais wasnt gonna make the turn either. Gotta be oil down there or something.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
God drat it.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Well that was something

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Newgarden's pit crew is pissed, heard at least one "gently caress!" on the NBC feed.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Josef :smith:

Rossi :toot:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

fawk yeah Rossi

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Sato spun under team orders to bring out a full course caution to ensure Rossi could get back onto sequence. :tinfoil:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Bentai posted:

Sato spun under team orders to bring out a full course caution to ensure Rossi could get back onto sequence. :tinfoil:

https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/904416492682346496

I personally don't think he did, just cause i dont think anyone wants to spin there. High speed and blind with armco all around. If it was Turn 1, would probably be fishier.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Sato definitely didn't do it on purpose and Barnhart is a wanker for throwing the full course yellow for the spin.

Newgarden slamming the wall at pit out is a classic iRacing move, that exit is hard if you're not paying attention since it's downhill and a decent turn to get out

Rossi winning owns and so does The Glen, this race was good

This win is Andretti Autosport's first road/street win since RHR won Barber in 2014

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

KingShibby posted:

Newgarden slamming the wall at pit out is a classic iRacing move, that exit is hard if you're not paying attention since it's downhill and a decent turn to get out.

I don't think I've ever hit the wall like that, but I've gotten a ton of stop-and-gos from doing what Helio got away with

quote:

Rossi winning owns and so does The Glen, this race was good

The Glen owns and Indycar belongs there, but man that crowd sucked. They need to get the Gateway/Bommarito people out there and show them how to promote a race.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think the rain was a factor

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

drat my phone for spoiling the winner on Google Now before I could watch it, but holy poo poo that race. Josef probably wants to crawl into a hole after that pit exit.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I should clarify I don't really believe Sato intentionally spun, drat if it wasn't convenient though! :D

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright, there are 6 drivers with a shot at the championship at this point:

-Josef (560)
-Dixon (+3)
-Helio (+22)
-SiPag (+34)
-Power (+68)
-Rossi (+84)

Rahal is the first out of contention, at +94 points. The max point delta is 90 points.

So basically, realistically, we got 4 at the shot.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I want Dixon to drop to 5th.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Josef should win.

Dixon will win.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'd love to see Helio pull it off as he rides off to IMSA.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Theris posted:

The Glen owns and Indycar belongs there, but man that crowd sucked. They need to get the Gateway/Bommarito people out there and show them how to promote a race.

Rain is the main reason the crowd was bad, almost zero walk up sales. Not having a title sponsor for the race hurts as well

My heart wants Helio to win the title but my brain knows it's gonna be Dixon and that makes me sad as gently caress

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This would probably be The Worst year for Dixon to Dixon.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

wtf why are people pulling for helio for the championship. gross, dude.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

financially racist posted:

Because Helio deserves one championship before he rides off into the IMSA sunset. Consider it a Lifetime Achievement Championship

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I hope Dixon wins IndyCar and Dovi wins MotoGP and Johnson wins NASCAR and the Triumvirate of Boring Drivers can rule the world.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

financially racist posted:

Because everyone kinda expects Josef to bottle it and gently caress please not Dixon.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

njsykora posted:

Because everyone kinda expects Josef to bottle it and gently caress please not Dixon.

I'd be happy with anyone but Dixon winning the title. I know that at some point Newgarden will win a title, it's just not his time yet.

The points are so close that out of Newgarden/Dixon/Castroneves, winning Sonoma is a virtually guaranteed title

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KingShibby posted:

I'd be happy with anyone but Dixon winning the title. I know that at some point Newgarden will win a title, it's just not his time yet.

The points are so close that out of Newgarden/Dixon/Castroneves, winning Sonoma is a virtually guaranteed title

Helio would have to win and Josef would have to finish 3rd or worse.

I'm too lazy to do the rest of the math for the scenarios.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

iospace posted:

Helio would have to win and Josef would have to finish 3rd or worse.

I'm too lazy to do the rest of the math for the scenarios.

Yeah Helio P1, Josef P2 is the lone scenario where winning doesn't guarantee the title for Helio. However in that scenario Helio could win if he wins pole and leads the most laps during the race without Josef leading a single lap or winning pole.

Once they release the Trackside guide to the media that will have a Points Possibility Chart that I'll post here

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Are you going to be in attendance again?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

iospace posted:

Are you going to be in attendance again?

Not Sonoma, too far away and it's football season so I'm back on the field Friday nights. Sonoma, Toronto, and Gateway are the only active tracks I have never been to. Hoping to change that next year, but that'll depend on a few factors.

2018 can't come soon enough and I'm for sure going to spring training at Phoenix next year

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wicka posted:

I hope Dixon wins IndyCar and Dovi wins MotoGP and Johnson wins NASCAR and the Triumvirate of Boring Drivers can rule the world.

Dovi winning MotoGP wouldn't be boring though because it would be only the second Ducati rider's championship. And it would mean we have champions on three different manufacturers in three (at least four?) different years.

Helio winning would be the gold watch, but if I'm to believe the "we need a new top American star!" :911: nonsense than Newgarden winning the championship would be good, Rossi winning possibly even better.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I realize there's enough points for Rossi to get ahead of Josef, but are there enough for him to get ahead of him while also getting ahead of everyone else?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

IOwnCalculus posted:

I realize there's enough points for Rossi to get ahead of Josef, but are there enough for him to get ahead of him while also getting ahead of everyone else?

Rossi has to win. It puts him at 576 points (before bonuses).

Lowest allowed points per driver and "best" position they can finish in to give Rossi the championship, before bonus points:
Newgarden: 16 (23rd* or worse, Newgarden would win on wins)
Dixon: 19 (21st or worse)
Helio: 38 (12th or worse)
SiPag: 50 (8th or worse)
Power: 84 (2nd or worse)

Now for the fun. With bonus points (1-4, and at least one bonus for winning the race and thus leading the lap), Rossi can afford 22nd for Newgarden, provided he doesn't pick any up. Adjust accordingly for everyone else, and there you go. He can beat them all out.

Will it happen without Dixon and Newgarden crashing on lap 1? Probably not.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

KingShibby posted:

Because Helio deserves one championship before he rides off into the IMSA sunset. Consider it a Lifetime Achievement Championship

helio is a whiny tax-evading bitch though. the only lifetime achievement he deserves is the ultimate fuckboi of the series award.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

iospace posted:

Rossi has to win. It puts him at 576 points (before bonuses).

Lowest allowed points per driver and "best" position they can finish in to give Rossi the championship, before bonus points:
Newgarden: 16 (23rd* or worse, Newgarden would win on wins)
Dixon: 19 (21st or worse)
Helio: 38 (12th or worse)
SiPag: 50 (8th or worse)
Power: 84 (2nd or worse)

Now for the fun. With bonus points (1-4, and at least one bonus for winning the race and thus leading the lap), Rossi can afford 22nd for Newgarden, provided he doesn't pick any up. Adjust accordingly for everyone else, and there you go. He can beat them all out.

Will it happen without Dixon and Newgarden crashing on lap 1? Probably not.

Are there going to be 22 or 23 entries at Sonoma, though? Also Josef's car would need to be utterly totalled. They'll thrash to get that car back on track even laps down (see: Power at Fontana for the 2012 finale) if they can pick up any points at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dixon will win his FIFTH title and become only the third driver in American Open Wheel racing history to have more than 4 championships, also solidifying his position as the best driver of his generation and one of the 4 greatest drivers of all time with Foyt, Mears, and Andretti.

• Locked thread