Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I know the snes mini won't have the lag issues

Boy are you in for some bad news, what little footage we have pretty much confirms the framerate is going to be really loving bad, and it seems unlikely that things have been significantly changed from the prototypes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I mean, have you played Star Fox? cuz like, I don't know what kind of framerate improvement anyone was really expecting, but OG Star Fox has some weak framerate. I say that from a place of love.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Have you played star Fox 2? It's even worse than 1, if that was possible.

Also I hadn't seen any footage. I thought that of course Nintendo would fix it with the literal infinite processing power available in their modern emu box but I guess I was wrong.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Have you played star Fox 2? It's even worse than 1, if that was possible.

Also I hadn't seen any footage. I thought that of course Nintendo would fix it but I guess I was wrong.

I'm at work but if you dig up the Japanese model's breakdown where they show all the games, at the very end they show a few seconds of Star Fox 2, looks to be inside somewhere with the Arwing turning into a robot walker dealie, and the framerate is like 5fps-ish.

I have a sneaking suspicion a lot of the reviews out there, especially with people playing it for the first time, are going to say something to the effect of "I can see why they decided not to release this" and cite the terrible performance.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Why settle for 5 seconds of Star Fox 2?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1NdLqbqn1E

Also they probably never intended to "fix" the framerate, since that was the best the hardware could do. Wait for it to get dumped and use the SuperFX overclock feature in modern emulators if you want it to run at an acceptable for 2017 framerate.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 5, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

That video there is 100% better than the cartridges and current ROM, no joke. Like, double.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Elliotw2 posted:

Also they probably never intended to "fix" the framerate, since that was the best the hardware could do. Wait for it to get dumped and use the SuperFX overclock feature in modern emulators if you want it to run at an acceptable for 2017 framerate.

God drat this looks sick as hell. The framerate also doesn't really seem too bad. It actually seems better than the first game, which was still quite playable despite it.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Mak0rz posted:

God drat this looks sick as hell. The framerate also doesn't really seem too bad. It actually seems better than the first game, which was still quite playable despite it.

Ya, I was always "eh" on the first game, maybe its just because I haven't fired it up in awhile, but this one seems to have a lot more potential and the framerate isn't great but wasn't the slideshow I remember the first one being. Then again, maybe later levels get worse with more enemies and whatnot. Before, I couldn't care less about the Starfox games on this, but now I am a little excited for Starfox 2.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Nintendo would fix it with the literal infinite processing power available in their modern emu box

Lol what

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Literal was the wrong word. I meant in comparison to the original hardware, a huge step up.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

We're talking about Nintendo, though - the same company that took the emulation of Star Fox 64 on Wii U and explicitly added back in some slowdown from the original game, when it originally ran smoother than actual hardware.

Something tells me they're sticklers for accuracy, and for better or worse, Star Fox running at 9-to-11 FPS is accurate.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Literal was the wrong word. I meant in comparison to the original hardware, a huge step up.

I don't think you get how emulation works, because all that extra processing power is what's making it accurate. If you want to get fancy with a stable higher framerate, you need at least a 3GHz+ multi-core processor to keep that accuracy.

Shadow Hog posted:

We're talking about Nintendo, though - the same company that took the emulation of Star Fox 64 on Wii U and explicitly added back in some slowdown from the original game, when it originally ran smoother than actual hardware.

Something tells me they're sticklers for accuracy, and for better or worse, Star Fox running at 9-to-11 FPS is accurate.

For better or worse, it's what most people will want to experience it as too. Not that adding a faster framerate as an option would be a bad thing, of course.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I guarantee that YouTube video is much faster than my cart here on actual hardware. I've played enough starfox 2 that I thought that video was sped up.

So, is something wrong with the dumped ROM or cart setup, or did they do some magic to clean up/speed up the new release, or is it something else?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Your cart is based off a pre-release.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I guarantee that YouTube video is much faster than my cart here on actual hardware. I've played enough starfox 2 that I thought that video was sped up.

So, is something wrong with the dumped ROM or cart setup, or did they do some magic to clean up/speed up the new release, or is it something else?

The version in the SNES Mini is a later build to the one most repro's use by several months. It's either actually finished, or was finished for the SNES Mini.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
The ROM that's out there now isn't complete. It's close though. We'll header to wait and see what the final version has.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

It's also possible they're setting the emulated SuperFX chip to a faster speed for StarFox 2.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

maybe when the final is dumped, you can reflash your cart (or send it off).

Also, given the lag for the NES mini (especially Punch Out) without a setting to offset the input timing to account for the lag, their attention to detail when it comes to accuracy isn't all that impeccable.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Remember the snes mini probably has enough horsepower to emulate SF2 faster than the original Snes and SuperFX chip could. This may not ever run as fast on original hardware even when the rom is dumped.

Nothing says they can't cheat for a better experience.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Also, maybe your repro was made using an older, slower version of the SuperFX chip instead of one that Star Fox 2 would've actually used? Because I dunno, it's possible. You'd think the repro makers would know better, though - and IIRC, certain variants of the chip flat-out don't work.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Starfox 2 was supposed to use a newer SuperFX2 chip, so any rom dumped onto a cartridge using the original chip will run poorly compared to Nintendo's final release on the mini

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Original SuperFX: Internally runs at 10.7 MHz, can't be upclocked without serious modification, mostly found in early StarFox runs.
Only found in StarFox and possibly some Stunt Race FX cartridges.

Super FX GSU: Internally still runs at 10.7 MHz, but can be upclocked to 21.4 MHz. Found in most "Super FX" games including later runs of StarFox. A modification to upclock the chip is fairly easy and if you take a donor chip in the form of this, the new cart should be able to run FX 2 games fine with the mod.
Found in later StarFox cartridges, and Stunt Race FX, Vortex, Dirt Racer and Dirt Trax FX

Super FX 2: Internally runs at 21.4 MHz. Essentially identical to the GSU variant except its set up in your cartridge to always be run at the full 21.4 MHz speed.
Found in Doom, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Winter Gold and supposedly Star Fox 2.

It is known that Star Fox 2 was expected to run with at least the speed present in the "Super FX 2", but it's not known if Nintendo was planning to bump the speed of the FX 2 up even further for the actual release - it is capable of handling up to something like 32 MHz speeds as is although no released game did that.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I think it's been shown that the version of the SuperFX chip used doesn't impact the framerate of SF2, only overclocking using a new oscillator does. And 'framerate' isn't even quite the right term here. You don't get more frames of smoother animation, the whole game just runs faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgInD9vAZcM

I really hope the ROM gets dumped out of the SNES Classic and can get compared to the leaked one, and flashed into EPROMS to test on real hardware.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Remember the snes mini probably has enough horsepower to emulate SF2 faster than the original Snes and SuperFX chip could. This may not ever run as fast on original hardware even when the rom is dumped.

Nothing says they can't cheat for a better experience.

please name a time Nintendo went for the better experience

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
This video released of the beginning parts of the Secret of Mana remake look WAY WAY better than the original trailer shown off a few weeks ago:

http://gematsu.com/2017/09/10-minutes-secret-mana-remake-gameplay

Also the on-screen map is just the SNES graphics :3:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

This video released of the beginning parts of the Secret of Mana remake look WAY WAY better than the original trailer shown off a few weeks ago:

The Mantis Ant model looks really good. It does look nicer then the Adventure of Mana remake which I did enjoy and still need to finish on the Vita.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

the text box alone is reason enough to play this over the SNES version...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

xamphear posted:

I think it's been shown that the version of the SuperFX chip used doesn't impact the framerate of SF2, only overclocking using a new oscillator does. And 'framerate' isn't even quite the right term here. You don't get more frames of smoother animation, the whole game just runs faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgInD9vAZcM

I really hope the ROM gets dumped out of the SNES Classic and can get compared to the leaked one, and flashed into EPROMS to test on real hardware.

Ok, so your description doesn't hold up.

First things first, Star Fox 1 attempted to target a 20 fps render (and usually failed by quite a ways) and Star Fox 2 appears to do that as well. The framerate is noticeably much more choppy and inconsistent when run at the default ~10 MHz clock rate of GSU-1 chips. But when run at the ~21 MHz default clock rate of the GSU-2 chips, which are the same chip but intended to be run at the higher speed by default, the game tends to get close to 20 FPS, usually bouncing between 14 and 15 because the speed isn't quite there. A theoretical increase in the speed would be likely to bring the game to 20 FPS nearly the whole time, which was considered perfectly acceptable at the time for 3D games.

Star Fox 2 on the normal GSU-2/Super FX 2 chip is not "just running faster", it's clearly running close to the intended framerate but not quite, while forcing the low clock rate that GSU-1 games used by default is forcing the game to run abnormally slow as it attempts to still push out frames with much less processing capability.

At no point in the video do they use actual overclocking , that would only come up if they were attempting to modify an original model Super FX chip from early runs of Star Fox 1, which requires you to get up to those tricks in order to break out of its enforced halved clock rate. The GSU-1 modification to the original Super FX makes the clock speed changeable by a new register embedded in the chip with the default mode being ~10 and the switched mode being ~21 of course. Most games that used a GSU-1 as shipped wouldn't take advantage of this, especially as most had been designed and balanced around running on the plain Super FX design where switching clock rates was impossible

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The expletive you were looking for is loving.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
But i already used gently caress to yell at Nintendo, so I thought it would be literally repetitive.

E: I meant loving repetitive

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

rdbbb posted:

please name a time Nintendo went for the better experience

When they decided to do something with those piles of unsold Radar Scope machines. :colbert:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

But i already used gently caress to yell at Nintendo, so I thought it would be literally repetitive.

E: I meant loving repetitive

Remember when your mom or someone would tell you that friggin was a bad word and that you should just use the real word instead? That's how I view the misuse of literally. Just say the loving word.

Anyway.

I've been playing the Phoenix Wright trilogy on my 3DS. I've been having convulsions because the first four cases all take place in 2016 and the fifth in 2017. Lana Skye is my age and she's the chief prosecutor.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Speaking of, I'm not seeing any updates on that Genesis starfox port. It did appear to run at similar frame rate without any special helper chips though. BLAST PROCESSING!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

falz posted:

Speaking of, I'm not seeing any updates on that Genesis starfox port. It did appear to run at similar frame rate without any special helper chips though. BLAST PROCESSING!

Similar frame rate, but was removing a lot of detail from the levels to try to keep within a tighter polygon and fake polygon budget to deal with the Genesis limits.

Which to be honest, sometimes Nintendo and Argonaut should have done to help keep actual Star Fox's framerate smoother, but it's a bit late for that now...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

falz posted:

The guy who made it moved onto other things like the pseudo-mode-7 tech demos and the Wolfenstein port. He's working on converting Super Noah's Ark 3D to MD for Wisdom Tree at the moment, I think.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

I finally said screw it and just beat Metroid Zero Mission instead of collecting the rest of the energy tanks and missile tanks. I was going through the options and saw that it included the original Metroid too. If I knew that in the past, I definitely forgot. Although it feels a lot more sluggish and the graphics/aspect was off, will stick with the NES.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

FireMrshlBill posted:

I finally said screw it and just beat Metroid Zero Mission instead of collecting the rest of the energy tanks and missile tanks. I was going through the options and saw that it included the original Metroid too. If I knew that in the past, I definitely forgot. Although it feels a lot more sluggish and the graphics/aspect was off, will stick with the NES.

I was considering just wiping my zero mission save the other day because I have no goddamn idea what to do. That's the problem with those style games, if you leave them too long, most times need to play for long periods of time to get your mojo back on what you were doing. :(

E: Wow, bad phone posting. :(

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 6, 2017

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am playing through that Metroid 2 fan remake and holy gently caress is it good!

I wonder how it's gonna compare to the new one in a few weeks. The parrying is neat and is the only thing really missing from this.

https://am2r-another-metroid-2-remake.en.uptodown.com/windows

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
AM2R is legitimately one of the best Metroid games ever made. I'd still say Super is better but that might just be nostalgia and it's more than a good fight between it and Zero Mission. It doesn't do anything particularly revolutionary or different other games in the franchise do, but it clearly knew exactly what elements do and do not work and is well designed around them. I am sure the 3DS game will be fine/great but Nintendo would be right to want to sweep AM2R under the rug as a point of comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
On the subject, there's also a color patch for the og Metroid II. Haven't tried it yet myself but planning to.

• Locked thread