Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Zinkraptor posted:

It gives you a good opening to take advantage of the fact that THEIR KIND HATES ICE AND FIRE BOTH

Favorite little thing in Dragons Dogma - all the dumb crap that your allies will yell. It's somehow more endearing than annoying.

:byodood: WOLVES HUNT IN PACKS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Polaron posted:

:byodood: WOLVES HUNT IN PACKS!

Soaked to the bone!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
By the way, did anyone else play Anima: Gate of Memories on the PS4? It had an interesting collecitble and an interesting way of doing multiple endings:

Collectible:The secondary collectible in the game (Primary being weapons) was a set of keys that each opened a series of Cells in one of the levels. Inside each cell was a person with a specific mask who had lost their minds, and each one you release goes to the main hub and gives you a prize, ranging from weapons to another key to a large amount of cash. One of them claims he will kill you if you release him, obviously talking to him gives you the choice to fight the hardest boss in the game, the optional superboss.

Endings:The endings are stratified - after the first boss comes a series of main characters who give you an option. say yes you get their ending, say no you fight them and move on. Each leads to the next nicely until the last one triggers the "True Final Boss" who is an absolute fucker and I couldn't beat him, so because I got greedy for a true ending I got no ending at all. It was definitely interesting though.

The controls were somewhat stiff, I believe it was a kickstarted indie game, but it was interesting. I just flew too close to the sun and got no ending because of my hubris.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

FactsAreUseless posted:

Dragon's Dogma is insanely good.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

TheMostFrench posted:

It's pretty great. The moves also change slightly if you're holding a two handed weapon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94gSY08qKL4

This isn't even all of them, you can use the syringe to knock them out instead of slitting their throat. Man, mechanically MGS4 was really great, shame about everything else.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Really hope the Dragon's Dogma remaster comes with the option of choosing your main menu music because Flying into Free is just so amazing. There is a reason the old LP for the game called it the Gran Soren national anthem :allears:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wasn't there a rights issue to it or something like that?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Nier Automata: I've just done the first 40 minutes of the second run through and I like how differently 9S plays than 2B, what with the hacking mechanic and all. It makes boss fights fairly interesting, going at them from a completely different point of view, while 2B does the heavy lifting of beating it to death.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BioEnchanted posted:

Nier Automata: I've just done the first 40 minutes of the second run through and I like how differently 9S plays than 2B, what with the hacking mechanic and all. It makes boss fights fairly interesting, going at them from a completely different point of view, while 2B does the heavy lifting of beating it to death.

2B is a bad fighter but his fist weapon style is great. Rocket punches all day.

muscles like this! posted:

Wasn't there a rights issue to it or something like that?

I think so. I know rights were the reason why they had to remove the Berserk armors from the PC version.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

2b's fighting style is 'hack everything'

I stopped hacking things about halfway through the story though, it was easy but mind numbingly boring.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

TheMostFrench posted:

It's pretty great. The moves also change slightly if you're holding a two handed weapon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94gSY08qKL4

I played through Metal Gear Solid 4 and literally never used hand-to-hand combat unless I absolutely had to, and by accident. Now in MGS5 I'm throwing people left and right and throwing children into guards* and pulling Russians off watch towers and executing sick combos and poo poo.

*) That one was a panic reaction, I forgot to pull L2 before firing; but gently caress if it didn't work.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

RBA Starblade posted:

Soaked to the bone!

What a large tree..

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

BioEnchanted posted:

Also Emil's little shop is the best :3:

Did you notice that the shop music is a major-key marching band remix of his theme from the first game, and he sings along with real words? :3:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

swordfish duelist posted:

What a large tree..

'Tis even larger up close.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The mods for the PC version of Drag Dog were all cosmetic stuff right? My main beef with the game was that it got samey fighting the same enemies in the same places all the time, and just about the only thing that'd make me get the PC version over a PS4 version would be some kind of enemy shaker upper mod

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
The guy that pops up and says TOASTIE

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

2house2fly posted:

The mods for the PC version of Drag Dog were all cosmetic stuff right? My main beef with the game was that it got samey fighting the same enemies in the same places all the time, and just about the only thing that'd make me get the PC version over a PS4 version would be some kind of enemy shaker upper mod

If things like 'sprinting doesn't cost stamina outside of combat' and 'infinite carry capacity' counts as cosmetic.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Eh, I don't care about those, I just want a pack of goblins to be occasionally replaced by a garm or get set upon by pyre saurians in wolf territory or something. Switch out the odd cyclops for a golem, maybe have odds of replacing a weaker enemy with a stronger one rise according to my level. Keep me on my toes.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
In Quake Champions explosions from the rocket launcher are red and fiery as one should expect. For those very rare times one detonates against a (blue) teleporter however, the explosion sort of fizzles into blue mist. A neat little detail I enjoyed in a game about shooting people.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I played through Metal Gear Solid 4 and literally never used hand-to-hand combat unless I absolutely had to, and by accident. Now in MGS5 I'm throwing people left and right and throwing children into guards* and pulling Russians off watch towers and executing sick combos and poo poo.

*) That one was a panic reaction, I forgot to pull L2 before firing; but gently caress if it didn't work.

They simplified CQC in MGSV for the better imo. You can do all of the imporant actions you'd need to do in CQC and not get bogged down remembering how to do what.

A lot of the controls in MGS4 were overhauled to modernize the gameplay. You can flip over when you're prone by just aiming down sights when you turn the camera behind you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BioEnchanted posted:

Bit of advice; just burn through the story for your second playthrough. It's much faster due to your new gameplay gimmick anyway, and the story's also largely the same aside from a few points that you can likely already guess from playing through the first time.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Upthread, people were talking about God Hand, but nobody posted the best little thing from that game, which is the Mikami-as-hell credit sequence of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFSen7DRQWU

also:

The unending list of combo attacks and finishers from the God Roulette, one of which is Ball Buster, a mule kick to the nards. Female enemies are immune to this attack.

At anything less than Level DIE, enemies off-screen won't attack you, making camera manipulation a really important skill, which I thought was kinda neat.

(Also, the fact that the entire ending song is just Gene's Saturday Morning Anime Theme Song about himself is too perfect, especially when he does his own backup vocals)

Neito has a new favorite as of 04:28 on Sep 6, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neito posted:

Upthread, people were talking about God Hand, but nobody posted the best little thing from that game, which is the Mikami-as-hell credit sequence of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFSen7DRQWU

also:

The unending list of combo attacks and finishers from the God Roulette, one of which is Ball Buster, a mule kick to the nards. Female enemies are immune to this attack.

At anything less than Level DIE, enemies off-screen won't attack you, making camera manipulation a really important skill, which I thought was kinda neat.

(Also, the fact that the entire ending song is just Gene's Saturday Morning Anime Theme Song about himself is too perfect, especially when he does his own backup vocals)

You can't bring up the Ball Buster without showing it :colbert:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTiX1Fler90

DING! :shepface:

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can't bring up the Ball Buster without showing it :colbert:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTiX1Fler90

DING! :shepface:

The game's first miniboss is a pair of flamboyantly gay men named Mr. Gold and Mr. Silver. The Ball Buster will work against Mr. Gold, but fail against Mr. Silver. Silver has apparently been castrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFr-4_Kykd0&t=260s

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something I both like and dislike about route 2 in Nier Automata: They mix it up by giving you new harder enemies to fight that drop machine cores, like the Gold Robots in the corner of the City Ruins, that also have unique dialog and everything - but 9S feels much weaker than 2B in regular combat so it feels like the game just got harder instead of scaling the enemies levels. Although at least I know how to break into those special chests now :)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I both like and dislike about route 2 in Nier Automata: They mix it up by giving you new harder enemies to fight that drop machine cores, like the Gold Robots in the corner of the City Ruins, that also have unique dialog and everything - but 9S feels much weaker than 2B in regular combat so it feels like the game just got harder instead of scaling the enemies levels. Although at least I know how to break into those special chests now :)

You're not supposed to be using regular combat, you should be hacking everything.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're not supposed to be using regular combat, you should be hacking everything.

if only for the 8 bit remixes of all the songs which are my favourite little thing in Nier Automata.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something that just hit me about the villains of Nier Automata, Adam and Eve: -

They think they are something beyond the machines, and appear to be until you ask yourself one simple question - "Adam, why are you wearing glasses? You're artificial, and your vision is designed to be perfect."

Adam and Eve are cargo culting harder than the machines are - the machines at least recognise what human ideas were for, even if purely cosmetic, their structures are functional and do what they are supposed to do, they can take shelter in their houses in case of weather, that kind of thing. Adam's copied city is just that - he blindly copied the City Ruins, but missed major aspects of what made it a city - the fact that the buildings are still usable if not as stable as they should be, the streets are all interlinked for easy navigation, it is built to be a city. Adam has missed this entirely, building blank facades with nothing of substance, it can't even hold itself up without him. The machines are better at cities than Adam is.

Adam mentions humans being interesting because of having concepts of life and death, religion and race, things that make them complex beyond machines - completely missing that the machines that are cut off from his network are prejudiced (The forest machines), have found not only religion, but a suicide cult showing they have knowledge of life and death (The factory machines). He's whining that he'll never be able to understand these concepts while the machines have mastered them. The machines are better at abstract thought than Adam is.

Adam and Eve have gone so cargo-cult that they have even got a dining table to sit at, despite not needing to eat and being unlikely to entertain guests. They are idiots with a lesser understanding of humanity than literally everyone else but with delusions of grandeur. All they ever were were servers created by the desert robots to centralize and protect their mainframe/network and they couldn't even do that right.

Also interesting final boss progression that just dawned on me:Ball Machine, Serpentine Machine, Corrupted Eve ->Ball Machine was the Apple of Good and Evil, Serpent Machine was the Snake, both together lead to corrupted Eve?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I started playing Dragon's Dogma recently as well. It seems pretty cool. I found a cave not far off the main path from when you leave that first small village where you do training stuff at, and found like 18 thousand gold in it. I'm not sure how much gold is a lot in this game yet but it felt like I hit the jackpot somehow.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I got Dark messiah might and magic on steam and i'm having a riot killing people with larger than life physics and environmental kills.
I arrowed a guy to a wooden frame and when his mates came to see what had happened I threw a barrel at the supports killing them both.
Also you can break the floor out from your enemies in some areas which is great,especially with fire.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

For a change I decided to try Anima: Gate of Memories again, and this time I managed to get past the opening boss without dying! I remember my first time playing she kicked my rear end all over the place before I could finally get beyond her, and she's the end of the tutorial! I feel I'm getting the hang of the mechanics better than I did before, and I think the trick is to play defensively - focus on evasion, weave through attacks and just strike back when you can. Now that I've got the skill tree I've set both characters up with "Run/Dodge forever even if out of stamina" so that'll make things easier (although the danger there of no stamina remaining for physical attacks, so if overly spamming dodging is needed then magical attacks will be the tech of the day)

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Finally played Saints Row IV for the first time, and I love that the opening scene is a helicopter flying through the sky, blaring "Long Tall Sally," a la the scene from "Predator."

Also thought it was hilarious that it in the first mission you're scaling an ICBM in flight while Aerosmith's "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" blares, a la Armageddon.

I know that the series is full of pop culture references, but they really do it in a pro-tier fashion.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Something that just hit me about the villains of Nier Automata, Adam and Eve: -

You're mostly right, except that the pretentious cargo-cult stuff is all Adam. Eve just wants to have fun and stay with his family, which makes him a way closer analogue to humanity than his stick-up-the-butt brother.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Count Freebasie posted:

Finally played Saints Row IV for the first time, and I love that the opening scene is a helicopter flying through the sky, blaring "Long Tall Sally," a la the scene from "Predator."

Also thought it was hilarious that it in the first mission you're scaling an ICBM in flight while Aerosmith's "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" blares, a la Armageddon.

I know that the series is full of pop culture references, but they really do it in a pro-tier fashion.

I love that during the missile ride, everyone had a heartfelt farewell bidding...... and then there's Asha.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

graybook posted:

I love that during the missile ride, everyone had a heartfelt farewell bidding...... and then there's Asha.

"Well we just met but... you seemed nice."

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Oxxidation posted:

You're mostly right, except that the pretentious cargo-cult stuff is all Adam. Eve just wants to have fun and stay with his family, which makes him a way closer analogue to humanity than his stick-up-the-butt brother.

This is related to (one of) my favorite little things about Nier: Automata: Adam's design. Among the things already mentioned (He wears glasses, despite not needing them at all), there's a few other details about him that sum him up perfectly: He's wearing a belt, but it's not actually in the loops of his pants, it's just cinched uselessly around his waist; and his bow tie/ascot, is actually a man's tie tied like that. He gets that humans wore belts, glasses and ties, but doesn't really get why or how.

Also, he disconnects himself from the network in order to fight "as humans did" and that gets him killed. In short, he desires knowledge of life and death, and it dooms him, just like his namesake. That's a surprisingly subtle biblical reference from a japanese writer.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
That Nier game must be really raunchy what with all the censoring.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I mean, 2B does look like she was trying to win an Extreme Dress Slit competition.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Also interesting final boss progression that just dawned on me:Ball Machine, Serpentine Machine, Corrupted Eve ->Ball Machine was the Apple of Good and Evil, Serpent Machine was the Snake, both together lead to corrupted Eve?

Holy poo poo

I don't even think that was intentional. But it still makes that fight even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerry Cotton posted:

Nier Automata is really good and something you should go into blind.