Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

man summoners are cool and good and zombies are my friends but at t10 maps im starting to run into bosses that just turbofuck my minions like neo-piety in malformation and the galaxyfucker in temple and I just end up running around dodging poo poo and occasionally pooping out skulls. am I REALLY supposed to have a minion life gem, i mean really really

also i bought a barons with like 300 str I guess i need to find some real str poo poo now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Has anyone tested if Esh's Visage can reflect the 50% shock from Vinktars?

J
Jun 10, 2001

vOv posted:

How strict is your filter, like do you generally have more than one full inventory's worth of stuff (assuming you only carry portal scrolls and maybe a few bits of other random currency into the map)? I'm mostly running high-level stuff because I'm focused more on getting my character to 90, so if I do run low-level stuff for fast clears then I won't wind up getting any XP out of it.

As far as rare items go, I'm only picking up rings, amulets, belts, and a select few top tier base types, like imbued wands. Most maps I finish the map with less than 1/4th of an inventory's worth of stuff, depending on how many 6 socket items dropped.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Also, remove portal scrolls and wisdom scrolls from your drop list. If you need either you can pick up transmutes if it's really necessary and use the vendor recipes to make more.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

10bux posted:

I think what's always drawn me to wanders, is that there isn't a "perfect" way to build them. That's because your gear is pretty much guaranteed to be different then the next. Way more so then any other build in my opinion.

So like Eezee said, the move speed and extra life/res is certainly great. The only reason I've stuck with a lyco for so long is because for one I'm a dps slut, and two, because of vaal pact. If you miss a barrage or two and the wrong moment against say Minotaur, it could mean death. It's also nice to completely ignore a stat like accuracy. That said, I am switching to an evasion shield after a long long time. Although I only wanted one that was 1k+ eva, attack speed, 90+ life, accuracy and a res, which can be quite expensive.

As I said before, it's totally up to you how you build it, but I have to say I feel this is incorrect. The main thing you want from those wand nodes is the crit and crit multi. It's been nerfed so hard it just doesn't feel right playing a wander without those nodes. Even with them, I still am dreaming of more crit. Also, even for a lyco user, those 5% attack speed nodes are insanely efficient. Also, you're build sounds totally different. Mine is strictly for QOTF.

You are totally right about the guys POB and his legacy standard gear, but even his DPS is passable.

This is what my deeps look like using a rare lion pelt. My new tempest setup is even more but not finalized just yet. I tried dumping the wand nodes and picked up proj + proj jewel socket and put my best 4 stat jewel in there. Ended up losing 4k dps, but it was better than I anticipated. Also, none of my gems are 21, and my wrath is not empowered.

I tried dropping the flask nodes for a few hours and determined that the extra mana pool those nodes give is really important. I don't know what your stats look like but the maximum leech rate is 20% of your max mana, which without those nodes is around 700, or 140 per second. Your mana regen without those nodes is like 14 or 15, so you regain about 155 mana per second at leech cap. My barrage costs 51 mana per use and fully buffed with the wand wheel I have 4.8 APS, which means Barraging burns 245 mana per second, a lot more than the max mana recovery rate. With the two Flask Charge Recovery/Mana clusters, I have 1100 max mana and 27 mana regen, giving me 247 max mana recovery, a bit more than enough to sustain the slightly slower Barrage. Regardless of whether or not bosses will survive for that long, it's drastically cutting down on the real Shaper DPS, which is what matters the most. Also it's just way more annoying to play like that in general even when not mashing Barrage on a single target, and feels just awful for QoL in general.

TBH I'm not sure how other people manage it because I see people skip those nodes, but I'm welcome to see a suggested tree that takes wand wheel and also the flask nodes, but at this point I don't think they're skippable. If it's just a matter of sacrificing like 25-30% life worth of jewel sockets and life nodes, I really don't think the wand wheel is worth it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i feel like i dont want to give up primal spirit but i think i like what you did with the duelist section more and will probably try that to get into the juicy wand nodes before lvl 98 or whatever

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

J posted:

There are tons of posts on reddit about "hey I just ran 100 maps here's what I got" and there is always a good chunk of currency there, even without any "big" sellable drops. Case in point, some guy ran 1000 t2 beach maps with bisco's and goldwyrm, look what he got. You can steamroll beach on a poo poo load of builds that can still function with those 2 items. He didn't pick up anything aside from raw currency drops and uniques worth 5c or more.

to be fair I think the real lesson here is that Bisco's should be everyone's first purchase when they start mapping. Yeah it's expensive and yeah it doesn't make you any stronger but it is literally the switch that needs to be flipped to start rolling in cash. I started using it on my golemancer last league and I can't imagine playing any character without it now.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

What if Bisco's is way, way too expensive for you? :(

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Try not to be so poor :wotwot:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

start saving :getin:

100c is a lot when you first hit maps but it's not unreachable, use a strict loot filter (I use Neversink's Uber Strict) to minimize time spent doting over bad drops and then just run more and more maps while not using your currency for anything except alching more maps.

The dude in that link averaged 5.4c per map with his ~110-120 IIQ so you should average about 2c per map with no IIQ, 50-100 maps should earn you a Bisco's and a ton of exp in the meantime :shrug: You could even use Div Distillate and Goldwyrm for ~30-40% IIQ of your own on a 2-3c budget.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 6, 2017

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I use one filter to rule them all :v:

Also alch all maps or only some maps?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I alch every single map, it's pretty rare to do a rare map and not get at least 1 alch worth of pure currency out of it.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

lmao, so I buy a bisco's put it on, go and run a couple of maps, and a far far far better bisco's drops for me this drat game

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I suspect lab running may be much better than speed farming with Bisco's, especially early in a league. And you can take that character into T16s and Shaper, because you have the survivability and single target.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I've been doing this for a while and I dunno if it's a good habit or not. Should I pick up all superior flasks I find so I can turn them into glassblower prisms?

EDIT: I did it! I found the shittiest Ventor's Gamble. :confuoot:

Should I toss reroll orbs at it until it gets good?

NachtSieger fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Sep 6, 2017

Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

If there's room I'd love an invite for klakgivesup

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I have been playing SSF to take a break from my regular guy, and it is so much fun. If you find yourself getting bored with the regular league, I would recommend giving SSF a shot.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

NachtSieger posted:

I've been doing this for a while and I dunno if it's a good habit or not. Should I pick up all superior flasks I find so I can turn them into glassblower prisms?

I do, but im a filthy casual who picks up scrolls as well.

You should be able to tune your loot filter to only pick up 10+ quality ones if you are that concerned.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

My rare vaaled chateau map rolled the demon mod thing and this guy that spawned immediately fills the screen with infinite skeletons and fire rings that kill my lvl88 SR dude near instantly :psyduck:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ratios and Tendency posted:

My rare vaaled chateau map rolled the demon mod thing and this guy that spawned immediately fills the screen with infinite skeletons and fire rings that kill my lvl88 SR dude near instantly :psyduck:

That's Abaxoth.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The End of All That Is

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

He's a dick. I lost like 40% xp and had to abandon the map.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

He's a dick. I lost like 40% xp and had to abandon the map.

:rip:

10bux
Sep 10, 2008

Ultima66 posted:

I tried dropping the flask nodes for a few hours and determined that the extra mana pool those nodes give is really important. I don't know what your stats look like but the maximum leech rate is 20% of your max mana, which without those nodes is around 700, or 140 per second. Your mana regen without those nodes is like 14 or 15, so you regain about 155 mana per second at leech cap. My barrage costs 51 mana per use and fully buffed with the wand wheel I have 4.8 APS, which means Barraging burns 245 mana per second, a lot more than the max mana recovery rate. With the two Flask Charge Recovery/Mana clusters, I have 1100 max mana and 27 mana regen, giving me 247 max mana recovery, a bit more than enough to sustain the slightly slower Barrage. Regardless of whether or not bosses will survive for that long, it's drastically cutting down on the real Shaper DPS, which is what matters the most. Also it's just way more annoying to play like that in general even when not mashing Barrage on a single target, and feels just awful for QoL in general.

TBH I'm not sure how other people manage it because I see people skip those nodes, but I'm welcome to see a suggested tree that takes wand wheel and also the flask nodes, but at this point I don't think they're skippable. If it's just a matter of sacrificing like 25-30% life worth of jewel sockets and life nodes, I really don't think the wand wheel is worth it.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to have Druidic Rite or Primal Spirit, I just speced into them and decided that id rather have more life instead. I should clarify my trees purposefully leave out stuff like extra life or mana because you should be able to tell when you need it and when you don't.

Also, I think the jewel sockets work well for your build, because you have jewels that as far as I'm concerned do not exist lol. I've seriously been searching for dmg/aps/multi/life/res/stat combination of 4, and I've never had a shot at a multi one. No whoops for at least two weeks, and the ones I do get, when I go to buy them, they just raise the price to 50ex or something stupid.

Anyway, do you have enlighten 4? That's how I manage with my 800 mana pool. Also keep in mind I'm level 91 lol. I've just been chaining shaper/atziris/vinktars and whatever red maps goons throw at me. 9 More levels and I'm surely going to grab Druidic Rite at some point.

fully buffed my barrage is 4.12, but tbh ever since switching to Tempest, it's my KB that's the mana drainer, ESPECIALLY now that i dropped the lyco.

10bux fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 6, 2017

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

deep dish peat moss posted:

to be fair I think the real lesson here is that Bisco's should be everyone's first purchase when they start mapping. Yeah it's expensive and yeah it doesn't make you any stronger but it is literally the switch that needs to be flipped to start rolling in cash. I started using it on my golemancer last league and I can't imagine playing any character without it now.

Looking at buying one now. Just to sanity check, its the item quantity roll from normals that I want more than the rarity from magic ones, right?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Correct. Rarity is near useless.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I've abandoned my Blight/CA Trickster. It was very strong I just didn't like the play style. Doubled my investment on the 6L +3 bow I made for it at least.

My new and likely final build for the league is so shamefully gimmicky I'm embarrassed to specify it right now. But it's gonna be good.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Are you the same dbk from the D3 goon guild years back?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

DemonMage posted:

Correct. Rarity is near useless.

To briefly expand, item drops work by selecting a base item, then applying your 'rarity' to the roll - so a white item is more likely to be magic or rare (maybe unique?) with higher rarity, but it's still a Glorious Plate or Coral Ring.

For Currency drops, the Alteration Orb or Chaos Orb or whatever is the 'base item'. And there's no magic or rare version of an Alteration Orb. The game does not select a generic 'currency' roll and apply rarity to make it have a chance at a Mirror.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008

Goo P-Nut Sack posted:

Are you the same dbk from the D3 goon guild years back?

Yes, I took a few leagues off poe to play d3. The fact that I played d3, and enough to make top 25 barb one season will remain my dirty dark secret.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Playing PoE for the "first" time (i played a bit right when it released) and my HC Harbinger League ranger got squished by the act 3 end boss.

The game is surprisingly fun, i have always thought it was a spergier D2 for people that couldn't quite manage to get over their D2 addiction but it doesn't really have much in common with D2 except being a loot centric isometric hack-n-slash. The passive tree is brilliant, so are the skill gem stuff.

Im going to make a new character and take things a little bit more careful for my next character. What are good starter builds for HC? Preferably not something minion/totem based as i really hated D2 necromancer (mostly because the pets always hung out in the back)

I found this page listing a bunch of builds but that webpage is fairly dependent on an already broad knowledge of PoE to know what is what. PoE builds sounds like M:TG or Hearthstone decks, really silly names that are not very descriptive.

My favorite D3 builds are Barbarian with the whirlwind build that spits out a bunch of tornadoes as you go and frozen orb wizard.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Devor posted:

To briefly expand, item drops work by selecting a base item, then applying your 'rarity' to the roll - so a white item is more likely to be magic or rare (maybe unique?) with higher rarity, but it's still a Glorious Plate or Coral Ring.

For Currency drops, the Alteration Orb or Chaos Orb or whatever is the 'base item'. And there's no magic or rare version of an Alteration Orb. The game does not select a generic 'currency' roll and apply rarity to make it have a chance at a Mirror.

Further, 100% quant effectively give you as many uniques as 100% rarity would (adding rarity on top of a lot quant can pay off - but the trade off in clear / kill speed is hard to justify).

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ineptitude posted:

What are good starter builds for HC? .

Scorching Ray uhh Inquisitor, or Zerker, or Trickster? maybe Elementalist or Chieftain?

anyway SR owns this league

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Thanks for the IIQ vs rarity info. Also the general speed mapping advice. I'm getting way more stuff this league than I have in others.

Also, alt spamming jewels and regaling to get decent 3 stat jewels has been pretty lucrative on the side. Haven't worked up the courage to try slamming an exalt onto one, though.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

10bux posted:

Yes, I took a few leagues off poe to play d3. The fact that I played d3, and enough to make top 25 barb one season will remain my dirty dark secret.

Haha what up cuz, this is Skeetskie

I got top ten witch doctor on HC so we can share our shame :coal:

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Ineptitude posted:

Playing PoE for the "first" time (i played a bit right when it released) and my HC Harbinger League ranger got squished by the act 3 end boss.

The game is surprisingly fun, i have always thought it was a spergier D2 for people that couldn't quite manage to get over their D2 addiction but it doesn't really have much in common with D2 except being a loot centric isometric hack-n-slash. The passive tree is brilliant, so are the skill gem stuff.

Im going to make a new character and take things a little bit more careful for my next character. What are good starter builds for HC? Preferably not something minion/totem based as i really hated D2 necromancer (mostly because the pets always hung out in the back)

I found this page listing a bunch of builds but that webpage is fairly dependent on an already broad knowledge of PoE to know what is what. PoE builds sounds like M:TG or Hearthstone decks, really silly names that are not very descriptive.

My favorite D3 builds are Barbarian with the whirlwind build that spits out a bunch of tornadoes as you go and frozen orb wizard.

You should probably not play hardcore while learning the game because bosses and enemies in later Acts can turbofuck you without warning if you don't know what to look out for.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Ineptitude posted:

it sounds like you should be playing an Ngamahu's Flame Cyclone Slayer, friend

nerox
May 20, 2001

the bitcoin of weed posted:

it sounds like you should be playing an Ngamahu's Flame Cyclone Slayer, friend

This is a very cheap build to do at this point as well, took me about 50C to fully equip my guy yesterday (plus some chroms/jewelers/fuses).

Next step is to figure out how to get my cyclone guy into a bisco's.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

lmao, so I buy a bisco's put it on, go and run a couple of maps, and a far far far better bisco's drops for me this drat game

Unless the market tanks drastically, you never lose money by investing in a highly sought after unique, you can always resell, you can also throw a divine at your old low-roll bisco and see if you randomize it close to perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

nerox posted:

This is a very cheap build to do at this point as well, took me about 50C to fully equip my guy yesterday (plus some chroms/jewelers/fuses).

Next step is to figure out how to get my cyclone guy into a bisco's.

Just wait til you check xoph's blood prices.