Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Let's just have clubs/players start taking journalists to court for slander instead :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Shmoses posted:

The reason your Barrett and Caro types have such huge platforms is that they've proved their name over a long time covering the game.

Isn't this part of the problem, they've proven their name so now they have free reign to pretty much write whatever they want and hide behind the respected journalist tag? No matter how good or respected someone was, it doesn't mean they are always like that. You can fight tooth and nail to get respect to get where you are but that doesn't mean once you reach there you can't just take easy street and make up poo poo. Happens in plenty of professions, footy journalism is no different.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Who the gently caress respects Barrett?

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
IF you think Damian Barrett is a good journalist

THEN you are wrong because he isn't

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

racing identity posted:

IF you think Damian Barrett is a good journalist

THEN you are wrong because he isn't

hosed up if true.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
I'd say Barrett's one of the very best in the game. Curious to find out who people would suggest is better.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Shmoses posted:

I'd say Barrett's one of the very best in the game. Curious to find out who people would suggest is better.

Hitler.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Scuttlebutt annoys me but it's also part of the game so idk.

(Just have to admit the idea of Hodge and Ablett on the same team as broken down units made me giggle a little)

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Shmoses posted:

I can't say I've read anything he's written in a very long time, and go out of my way to turn him off radio/tv if he's on any of the footy shows I watch.

Emma Quayle, Rohan Connelly, Jake Nial were/are all streets ahead of Barrett and his endless gossiping. And that's the crux of why I think most of us hate him, he only talk about footy gossip and won't back down when he's clearly wrong.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Spedman posted:

I can't say I've read anything he's written in a very long time, and go out of my way to turn him off radio/tv if he's on any of the footy shows I watch.

Emma Quayle, Rohan Connelly, Jake Nial were/are all streets ahead of Barrett and his endless gossiping. And that's the crux of why I think most of us hate him, he only talk about footy gossip and won't back down when he's clearly wrong.

Niall is decent but behind Barrett IMO, Quayle has left journalism to work in recruiting and Connolly hasn't broken a story for years and is now essentially just a blogger.

I think you're mistaking 'talking about footy gossip' with talking to sources and building stories

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Shmoses posted:

Literally anyone on abc grandstand.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Shmoses posted:

Niall is decent but behind Barrett IMO, Quayle has left journalism to work in recruiting and Connolly hasn't broken a story for years and is now essentially just a blogger.

I think you're mistaking 'talking about footy gossip' with talking to sources and building stories

I think that's exactly what I'm getting at, building a story about what? What big stories has Barrett broken? Is it his reporting on the Essendon drugs that is respected? Nearly all his reporting on trade moves and player disagreements is very inaccurate or just flat out wrong.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

To take the footy out of it, that is the purpose of a gossip reporter. To stir interest, yto get eyes on teh product, and to hide behind "sources". And when proven wrong, the gossip reporter can claim the plans changed, most likely that their "source" was wrong, and they were only reporting whatthey had been told.

It is the same with the constant "Jenifer Anniston wants Brad Pitt back says cource close to both of them" bullshit.

And on a similar related note, I think those expecting rigorous journalistic standards from the world of footy reporting have way too high expectations.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Barrett adds nothing of value.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Brent Reilly has been appointed the the coaching staff of Adelaide’s computer game team

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

racing identity posted:

Brent Reilly has been appointed the the coaching staff of Adelaide’s computer game team

Brent 'space created' Reilly

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
By and large I don't mind the footy media, but it is annoying how often "<journalist x/news outlet x> believes that" is used as a fancy way of saying "I spoke to someone who speculated that something might be true".

If you think something might be true but don't have evidence (yet), just say so. We'll still read the columns.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Sloane is out, so there goes that game, thanks AFL for the garbage Thursday night time slot

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
We might still win. I'm trying to work out who GWS will try to tag instead of Sloane. Brad Crouch, maybe?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Only one worth tagging after Sloane is Smith, Brad Crouch butchers the ball by foot so often they'd not bother

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I've decided it's good that Sloane isn't playing tomorrow so that means he'll have an extra two weeks to recover.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Yeah geez, gently caress the AFL for not immediately shifting Adelaide vs GWS to Sunday when Sloane's appendix died.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I have it on good authority that the AFL wants GWS to win the flag so badly that they killed Sloane's appendix and scheduled the game knowing he wont make it back in time.

No, I will not reveal my sources.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
IF Gillon McLachlan personally placed an obstruction in Rory Sloane's appendix.

THEN it will be more evidence of the AFL putting their thumb on the scales in favour of the expansion sides

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Testekill posted:

Yeah geez, gently caress the AFL for not immediately shifting Adelaide vs GWS to Sunday when Sloane's appendix died.

No, gently caress the AFL for even having Thursday night games at all, they loving suck. As a qualifying final we should have been scheduled for Friday or Saturday night, and if Sloane doesn't get up by then it is what it is, none of this screw Adelaide and Adelaide fans with a midweek game for TV ratings in Melbourne bullshit.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
To be fair, the game should have been on Friday. No, last friday, no bye round.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

drunkill posted:

To be fair, the game should have been on Friday. No, last friday, no bye round.

:agreed:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I must be the only one who doesn't mind the Bye week.

It gives the AFL a chance to do something like Women's State of Origin, or the Ted Whitten game, or AFLX, (a stupid idea, but at least it was something), etc.

It also gives finals bound players a week of rest after a gruelling very long season. It gives teams like West Coast a chance to calm down after an emotional last week of the Home and away season. It gives the bullshit hype/marketing machines a chance to earn their salaries by promoting "the Finals"tm

It's a chance to take a breath, and get ready for a hectic and important 4 weeks.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

It gives the AFL a chance to do something like Women's State of Origin, or the Ted Whitten game, or AFLX, (a stupid idea, but at least it was something), etc.

It also gives finals bound players a week of rest after a gruelling very long season. It gives teams like West Coast a chance to calm down after an emotional last week of the Home and away season. It gives the bullshit hype/marketing machines a chance to earn their salaries by promoting "the Finals"tm

It's a chance to take a breath, and get ready for a hectic and important 4 weeks.

If it weren't for the whole "top four teams, double chance, week off" thing, I'd agree.
But if you finish top four and win in week one, you've played 2 games of footy in 4 weeks going into an elimination final against a team that has been able to rest and recover while still going in fit and firing. The week 1 winner is going in at a disadvantage in terms of match fitness, IMHO, and that is a real factor, again IMHO.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

Nah, I dont mind it either.

Schlesische posted:

If it weren't for the whole "top four teams, double chance, week off" thing, I'd agree.
But if you finish top four and win in week one, you've played 2 games of footy in 4 weeks going into an elimination final against a team that has been able to rest and recover while still going in fit and firing. The week 1 winner is going in at a disadvantage in terms of match fitness, IMHO, and that is a real factor, again IMHO.

Less games = less chance for injuries, which would be the major concern at the end of a long season and just lol if you think AFL players are going to lose an amount of fitness that would have an appreciable effect in that short an amount of time. I could maybe see your point in the days before GPS tracking, but since coaches and fitness staff got their hands on exactly how hard and how far players run during a match, its trivial to simulate that now, so loss of match fitness is much less of an issue.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The only good thing to come from the footyshow is this new segment and they upload it so you don't have to watch the show

https://twitter.com/AFLFootyShow/status/905411148580655104

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
finals finals finals finals finals finals finals finals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgd8qs4q0Bk

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
AFL ECZEMA

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I'd be interested to hear what any Dogs fans here think is going on with Stringer etc. Thanks in advance.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I don't get Bump

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Go Crows, I had a thing on tonight (we were gonna play Pathfinder it was gonna be great I'm a halfling bard) but it got cancelled so now I get to watch us totally beat GWS and not capitulate disappointingly Go Crows!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Deadly Hume posted:

I don't get Bump

Neither do I

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

The Deadly Hume posted:

I don't get Bump

You Am I posted:

Neither do I

Do you two only post on this thread or did you just somehow forgot you signed up for SOMETHINGAWFUL???

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
i don't get it either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I kinda get it I guess but also I can't be bothered watching it anymore

• Locked thread