Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Aethernet posted:

Best way of beating an Awakened Empire is containment until you're ready to take them on, as well as the Galactic Contender perk. Let them take your worlds, and use your fleet to intercept reinforcements to their main fleet - don't take it head on. You can easily get qny tech you want this way. Send troops to retake any captured world, and max out on defensive troops for any world under threat. If you're intercepting their reinforcements you'll eventually bleed them dry, leaving their main fleet stuck bombarding a single world.

Wait for a white peace. Ensure you've colonised all the space around them, so they can't expand. During truces, continue to build up your fleet until you're ready to take them on. Specific AE types favour specific sorts of weapons and defences - design your fleets to counter these. It'll hit your economy, but you will eventually win.

So, the first thing they did was declare war on 3 other factions who are defence pact'd together, then started their armada into their space (apparently they hated these guys more than me)

Would it be smart to let them have their war at the other side of the galaxy, build up my fleet in the mean time, then hit them hard when they are far enough away to hit their home planets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

kaffo posted:

So, the first thing they did was declare war on 3 other factions who are defence pact'd together, then started their armada into their space (apparently they hated these guys more than me)

Would it be smart to let them have their war at the other side of the galaxy, build up my fleet in the mean time, then hit them hard when they are far enough away to hit their home planets?

If you think you can hit 50% or so warscore before they respond then go for it, otherwise you're probably best off actually helping the other empires by taking back any conquered planets to keep their warscore down. If they take more space, they'll have a higher fleet cap and even faster production. You really don't want them to expand.

Apparently in 1.8 this will be less of a risk, as AEs will eventually collapse under the weight of their own decadence.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Who gave those uppity spiritual psionic AI dweebs the ability to trigger the end of the cycle? I was just hive minding my own business and then blammo, le shroudening.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Aethernet posted:

If you think you can hit 50% or so warscore before they respond then go for it, otherwise you're probably best off actually helping the other empires by taking back any conquered planets to keep their warscore down. If they take more space, they'll have a higher fleet cap and even faster production. You really don't want them to expand.

Apparently in 1.8 this will be less of a risk, as AEs will eventually collapse under the weight of their own decadence.

lol I am so turbofucked if my game's AE ever turns its stinkeye on me, they were on the opposite side of the galaxy from me and just completely chewed up their (totally deserving rear end in a top hat) neighbors and now they've got like a quarter of the galaxy.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

YF-23 posted:

It's their best selling game, to my knowledge, and it makes sense since sci-fi has a lot more mainstream appeal than history.

Leading a butterfly blood-court to triumphant victory over the entire galaxy is way more entertaining than converting the pope to blood sacrifice.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

kaffo posted:

TLDR; Any advice to actually fight an awakened empire?

Last game I found myself in a situation where I simply didn't have the strength to meaningfully resist an AE because I was hardpressed by the Unbidden at the time. I just accepted subjugation, and then waited for them to attack someone else. When they did so they split up their fleet (the AI will do this against anyone that has a tiny fleet), then positioned my fleet around one of the fleets, then ran around picking them off before they could reassemble.

Only one that wouldn't work against is the one who makes you sign some drat galactic peace treaty, Xenophile I think, because you might need to declare random wars on assorted people to get fleet access.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Wiz has a poll on the next major priority for Stellaris development:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/905167053723770880

Bafflingly, diplomacy is winning. Go and vote if you think war is better than peace.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Aethernet posted:

Bafflingly, diplomacy is winning. Go and vote if you think war is better than peace.

Making diplomacy more interesting will make war more interesting so uh

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah ... I voted body pillows because war and diplomacy are a wash.

That's why. No, really.

Stop looking at me like that.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Just lol if you voted for anything but body pillows

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I can't believe that body pillows are losing out here. The blorg dream may well be over.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Just lol if you voted for anything but body pillows

True fans already sleep next to their lifesize Mercedes pillow. :colbert:

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Give us mandatory pampering or give us death!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Gotta say 90% of fanbases would have chosen body pillows outright as the joke option, but Paradox's fans care too much to succumb fully to that trap.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
As a goon, Wiz should be quite familiar with the pointless 'Goku' option in every poll on here.

Oddly enough I'm not interested in war, diplomacy and body pillows as being the next focus but I guess if I to choose I'd pick war. Those categories are so wide it could mean almost anything though.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Weird thing just happened: I had the option to terraform a frozen world through an anomaly (the anomaly turned it into a terraforming candidate). I ended up remembering this decades later and ended up turning it into a size 29 planet. Any way I can actually see all of the squares, or is it a bug?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

The first step to fixing war is implementing Wiz's FTL vision, anyway.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

funktopus posted:

Weird thing just happened: I had the option to terraform a frozen world through an anomaly (the anomaly turned it into a terraforming candidate). I ended up remembering this decades later and ended up turning it into a size 29 planet. Any way I can actually see all of the squares, or is it a bug?
I've never seen that anomaly myself so I don't know if it's a bug or something that came out of a mod, but any planet above size 25 will have the 'extra' tiles ignored. You can't build more than 25 structures and it won't grow beyond 25 pops.

Atsushogob
Oct 7, 2008

funktopus posted:

There are a few avenues to getting >25 size planets, but the game only can have up to a 5x5 grid for any planetary surface. Just pretend large tracts of land are inhospitable even after the terraforming or something, since 25 is all you get.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Ah I see. I'm playing unmodded, so it was surprising. I'm pretty fine with a 25 tile planet anyway, so it's definitely something I can deal with.
I also got a 6 tile planet with the same anomaly. Wasn't exactly in a hurry to use that one.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
What... what would a Stellaris Body Pillow be? Asking for a friend.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

nessin posted:

What... what would a Stellaris Body Pillow be? Asking for a friend.

Blorg

I mean there are always those three races that show up in trailers, but come on.

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 6, 2017

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Soup du Jour posted:

The first step to fixing war is implementing Wiz's FTL vision, anyway.

The Quantum Body Pillow Drive?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yadoppsi posted:

I know if you take the Syncretic Evolution civic and start on Earth your proles will be Neo-Chimps as if the Humans won in Planet of the Apes;

I think it's a homage to David Brin's Uplift series. The Neo-Chimps (by that specific name) were the first species uplifted by humanity, followed by the Neo-Dolphins, Neo-Dogs, and a disastrous experiment with Neo-Orcas.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Aethernet posted:

But war is just the continuation of diplomacy by other means!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Right?

And bodypillows are for when you fail at both!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Though Clausewitz would win the fame, Jomini's thoughts on body pillows were perhaps the more enduringly valuable.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Make love not war, so body pillows would be the obvious choice. I don't have an account for whatever social media that is so I can't vote.

Blorgs are the Stellaris mascot afterall. :v:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 minutes!
If by diplomacy they mean espionage, then yes, I'm all for it.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

funktopus posted:

. Any way I can actually see all of the squares, or is it a bug?

When I had this happen a while back I looked into it and some people claimed the AI can actually build stuff on those overflow tiles. I don't know if that's actually true, but you could hand it off to a sector and see if the production adds up.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Finally adding espionage would make diplomacy a lot more interesting at least. Industrial sabotage is something I long for.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Talking tech trees from earlier, I wish it was clearer what leads to flak. Mega-engineering is another one because I never ever research the space stations meaning I missed it in my first post-utopia game.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Tbf my genetically superior butterflies are going to have a hard time infiltrating the mammalian hivemind next door.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Relevant Tangent posted:

Tbf my genetically superior butterflies are going to have a hard time infiltrating the mammalian hivemind next door.
Reptilians infiltrating my human empire? It's an absurd thought.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Relevant Tangent posted:

Bruce Sterling's short story "The Swarm" had an excellent implementation of that concept (and a neat twist on hive minds in general).

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Espionage might be cool, as long as they stay away from spies as distinct agents like in Civ/TW. Micromanaging individual units gets tedious fast when your empire is huge

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
War is probably more in need of attention right now; diplomacy is dull right now but there's only a few cases where it's straight-up broken, while war is fundamentally poo poo right now.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ephemeron posted:

Bruce Sterling's short story "The Swarm" had an excellent implementation of that concept (and a neat twist on hive minds in general).
Hugh from the Borg is also relevant.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Main Paineframe posted:

War is probably more in need of attention right now; diplomacy is dull right now but there's only a few cases where it's straight-up broken, while war is fundamentally poo poo right now.
I'd use the same reasons to argue the opposite. Diplomacy is a blank slate right now and War is up for a rework, so I'd assume it'd be more straightforward to make good diplomacy mechanics while noting what needs to be included in the war update to compliment them. If war is reworked and then diplomacy they have to fit diplomacy around yet one more fully implemented major game mechanic.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
:10bux: September 21st

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg-hcUcOIi8

• Locked thread