Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Oh awesome, do me a favor and only grab me a wood grain bezel if you see it. Also do you have a recommendation for headlight housings? Going to do a h4 halogen conversion next week.

I know that shop, All about Alfas is the name I believe. The shop is located on rt44 as it curves thru Norfolk. It's got a wicked curve in front and a stream in the back, very cool. My dad was telling me he bought a jag outta there once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'm not kastein, but:

Housing and Harness. 15 minute install, stuff some nice hella bulbs in, AIM THEM (you'll need a T15 driver, I keep this one in my 4.0L Pee Rampage), and enjoy having better / brighter lights than most new cars.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Krakkles posted:

I'm not kastein, but:

Housing and Harness. 15 minute install, stuff some nice hella bulbs in, AIM THEM (you'll need a T15 driver, I keep this one in my 4.0L Pee Rampage), and enjoy having better / brighter lights than most new cars.

I have that same harness worked great till the relays died. Never did find replacements, I ended up soldering in bosch standard sockets. Haven't had an issue since.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Veeb0rg posted:

I have that same harness worked great till the relays died. Never did find replacements, I ended up soldering in bosch standard sockets. Haven't had an issue since.
Mine is going on three years with no issue, but now I'm always going to worry about it! :mad:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I know nothing about headlights anyways.

Always buy more Jeeps. Always.

It is raining so junkyard happens tomorrow. Woodgrain ones are rare but I'll keep my eyes out.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
If I can find out which yard my friend's XJ Wagoneer package ended up after she rolled it last month (She's fine, but rip cool old XJ) I'll see if I can get the bezel out of it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

It got hosed by loving Photobucket, but you can get it working again with extensions and poo poo I think.

Thanks for the tip on the existence of Photobucket unfucking extensions. I hadn't even thought to look for one.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I hope this stupid move Photobucket made kills them for good.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

You should buy this jeep:

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/d/kaiser-jeep-panel-wagon-super/6275710858.html

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I hope this stupid move Photobucket made kills them for good.

I hope not, it's already ruining threads for the last 15 years...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Terrible Robot posted:

If I can find out which yard my friend's XJ Wagoneer package ended up after she rolled it last month (She's fine, but rip cool old XJ) I'll see if I can get the bezel out of it.

Wrong year, he needs 97-01.

That is about 6k over my range and checks off none of the boxes unfortunately :v: the only remaining vehicles we don't own that I'd add to the fleet are an M543A2, M715, M816, M936, or M123A1C. I know a guy who is selling an M543A2 locally for 4500 and it kills me that I can't get it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Last Thursday I was BSing on a random Facebook Jeep group and someone offered to sell me their 2 post automotive lift for 800 bucks, only 15 miles from home and a similar distance from my hangar. So clearly I jumped at the offer and said I could pick it up Sunday since Saturday didn't work as well for him.

Oh wait, I don't have a truck that will haul it. Or a trailer hitch. Wait. I have a trailer hitch for the MJ that chrisgt bought me at a junkyard FOUR YEARS AGO. Where did that go?

So I find it and spend Friday morning on vacation installing the hitch. I expected it to be a shitshow because it's a 150k mile 30 year old Jeep in New England. But the previous owners mechanic was an angel or something and...

HE ANTISEIZED EVERY BOLT HOLY poo poo :aaaaa:

The rarest of Jeep hitches. Seriously, you can't buy these anymore. At all. No one makes one.

Got hitched
I got 99 problems but a hitch ain't one

Got my trailer Saturday at noon, so I figured I might as well bug the seller of the Wagoneer frame first, given that the lift seller wasn't available till Sunday. Good thing, too, more on that later. Drove several hours to sellers place, waited the 4010 minutes he claimed it'd take for him to get there, bought frame and dragged it home. You can see me reducing the guys neighbors property values by the minute here.

No pictures of the lift adventure, but it was a shitshow of ignorant rednecks and inability to plan or communicate effectively, or at all. Saturday night I message the seller to confirm the deal is still on, get no reply. Need to return the trailer by 130 an hour away tomorrow... Hope he wakes up early. Wake up, message him again, nothing. Few hours later, again, nothing. 1pm rolls around and it's too late to avoid renting the trailer again, he finally loving checks his messages and decides now is the appropriate time to inform me that it's not actually his, it's his bosses. Gives me HIS phone number. I call. Voicemail. But it's a company line and gave the company name, so I look up their main line and call. Voicemail. So I lose patience and stalk them on the internet. Turns out it's a family business registered at their home address 10 miles away. So I stick my wad of cash in my pocket and drive there. He arrives at the same time (in a lifted Jeep, always nice when that smooths things over immediately) and I find out his idiot employee never asked him if he was even available that day, or told him anything. But now I have his info, we agree his employee is an idiot, and he definitely wants to sell it to me so I head out to the airport because it's not happening today and we both have poo poo to do.

Next up: rescuscitate the ancient backhoe at the airport now that my friend is the airport manager and wants to actually get the place going and fixed up properly again.
SHE LIVES

It's still busted as hell but I got everything working except the drive wheels. I think the trans may be low on fluid.

That's it for now, pick up my trailer tonight and hopefully get the lift onto it. It's going to suck, but should be worth it. Lift is lying down on sand in a Quonset hut and all I have to load it is an engine hoist, ratchet straps, plywood chunks, and blocking. Wish me and my physical therapist luck.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Give me a big enough lever, I'll move the world.

And hydraulics, those help too.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yessssssss

It sucked to unload but we got it done

No serious injuries. Just need to buy some anchor bolts of the right size (7/8) and figure out how I'm standing this heavy rear end thing up. It turns out it's a Benwil TP7 that was originally part of the GM dealer equipment program at some dealer around here. I am at least it's third owner since the dealer got rid of it. Some people report lifting as much as 10k with them with zero issues and basically say if the hydraulics will lift it, the posts will support it. As long as it works, I got a good deal. It's built to ridiculous standards, the base frame is made from 2 inch solid square bar stock. I tried to pick it up thinking it was 2x2 quarter wall box tubing or something​ and it went nowhere.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Hang a pulley from the ceiling and do block and tackle?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Niiiiiiiiice.
Someday, I will have one, and a place to put it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

daslog posted:

Hang a pulley from the ceiling and do block and tackle?

I considered that but the hangar is... Uh... Shall we say not very structural. I think I'd end up wearing it.

Currently I'm thinking this will involve a tripod made out of 16ft 4x4s, angle iron, and steel cable, and my chainfall hoist.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Four of my favorite shitboxes.

Started pulling the red Jeep apart more...

These come out way easier than they go in.

Leaving the rest of it together till it's time to use it. It keeps all the parts organized and contained and doesn't really weigh more or take much more room...

This takes less room in the yard and makes the Comanche crane handle more weight...

That's all for now. Hopefully fixing the backhoe the rest of the way at the hangar tomorrow so I can stand the lift up soon.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Fixed the backhoe! Tire seems to hold air, filled the tank after running it dry (that was fun, had to crack two injector flares loose to bleed the air out so it would start again and bleed the other two itself), put a not junk battery on it, determined that it drives better when you put it in gear. It turns out backhoes with power shuttle transmissions are just confusing. They have a F/N/R shifter where the turn signal switch should be, a "clutch pedal" that is actually just a fluid line pressure modulator, and a manual shifter. I had ignored the column shifter because I saw a clutch pedal and manual shifter and assumed it was all I needed :doh:

The entire electrical system is still junk other than the battery I just put on and starter, so you have to start it by shorting the solenoid, but I can rewire it whenever I get a chance. I think it is also a bit low on hydraulic fluid.

We used it last weekend to clear a bunch of underbrush and drag the dead Grand Wagoneer and Honcho to their parking spots from where the transporter dropped them off. Once the lift is stood up I think it's Grand Wagoneer time first, then Honcho time.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

What state is the Just in these days? Still collecting the oil pump parts and such?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Semi abandoned project number 4 :(

Now that the only other dead car sitting at home is the 5 ton I'm feeling a couple car repair days coming up.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Did the plugs on the Roadmaster yesterday. Doing plugs on SBCs in low cars sucks...

It fixed a ton of the odd surging and low throttle surging and hunting it was doing. Did not completely go away, I'm pretty sure it's sucking in air through the blown manifold gaskets at low RPM low throttle and confusing the gently caress out of the ECU (it starts chugging and bogging, then fuel trims drop precipitously and it either enters flood clear mode or stalls) which means I get to face my other horrible fear, trying to get rusted header to manifold bolts out of heads in a car without hanging myself or hurting the car. Good thing I just bought left handed drill bits, busted bolt extractor spline shafts, and for when both of those fail (because of course they will), a good MIG welder that won't fill the head ports and gasket surface with spatter when I weld nuts to the busted bolts.

gently caress. I might do just the driver side since it only has an O2 sensor there :v:

The driveway and yard look really weird. There are only six cars here now that the FSJs all went to live at the hangar and I cut up the XJ and traded the Datsun.

Anyone got advise on SBC header bolts or is it what I expect, they will all break off no matter what and result in existential sadness? It looks like 6 3/8-16 bolts per side.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Need to do some shift linkages and steering ram TREs on the backhoe this week. And fix the electrical system so we can leave the battery hooked up without worrying about it going dead. But it worked for long enough yesterday to put the lift up with a friend of mine from terrafugia! He came out so I could use my new mig welder to fix his exhaust leak for state safety inspection and then hung around to help out. 8 hours of backbreaking labor and near death redneck rigging experiences with the backhoe, 700lb lift posts, tree saver straps, ratchet straps... Yeah that was scary as gently caress.

My rotary hammer kicked rear end and took names, I think all 12 4in deep 7/8 holes took me a whopping 5 minutes of drilling. If anyone local needs to borrow it feel free, it takes spline bits not SDS or sdsmax if you need to buy a bit other than 7/8.

I have a zillion pics I keep forgetting to upload and post.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

kastein posted:

Need to do some shift linkages and steering ram TREs on the backhoe this week. And fix the electrical system so we can leave the battery hooked up without worrying about it going dead. But it worked for long enough yesterday to put the lift up with a friend of mine from terrafugia! He came out so I could use my new mig welder to fix his exhaust leak for state safety inspection and then hung around to help out. 8 hours of backbreaking labor and near death redneck rigging experiences with the backhoe, 700lb lift posts, tree saver straps, ratchet straps... Yeah that was scary as gently caress.

My rotary hammer kicked rear end and took names, I think all 12 4in deep 7/8 holes took me a whopping 5 minutes of drilling. If anyone local needs to borrow it feel free, it takes spline bits not SDS or sdsmax if you need to buy a bit other than 7/8.

I have a zillion pics I keep forgetting to upload and post.

I saw your fb post and wondered if it was indeed that Kyle. The loving vermont small town syndrome is strong. Tell him hey! And yeah, he's good poo poo.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Was the backhoe unable to lift what you needed, or was head room too limiting to use it easily?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

angryrobots posted:

Was the backhoe unable to lift what you needed, or was head room too limiting to use it easily?

Yes.

Ceiling was too low to keep the hoe in close enough to have the front wheels stay on the ground, and I was mere inches from the ceiling with the front bucket at full extension in the direction I could use. So I ended up bringing the posts in horizontal, then using a tree saver strap to get them to about 45 degrees, then standing on a 55 gallon oil drum and using two 2 inch ratchet straps alternately to slowly winch it up mostly vertical, then lower bucket, ratchet more, put tree saver back on in a shorter configuration, then lift vertical. Even so it only cleared the base frame by about 1 inch.

And yeah, Kyle is cool as hell. Easily one of my favorite coworkers from there. I miss working there, but it's worth it to have 5 to 15 hours of my life back every week.

Edit: if some idiot had just remembered to bring his loving 2 ton chainfall hoist as originally planned this would have been WAY easier. God drat it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Pictures from... Wow a long time ago

Backhoe fixed and drove to here, also a wild MR2 appears

Lift install:
Clearing space

Base down, holes drilled, anchors inserted

Tadaaaaa

Also I've made a terrible mistake

gently caress silly little baby front 60s. :v:

Dana Spicer BOM number 603058-1. putting it under the front of the Honcho. It needs a locker, 35 spline stubs or RCVs, and 5.13s. already bought the 5.13s, I'm into this prehistoric hunk of scrap for 550 bucks now.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

These loving heim joints cost me knuckle skin and an hour or more of my life.

They are from the shuttle shifter on the airport backhoe. It was sloppy as gently caress because they were worn out to the point that they fell out of the sockets. The previous airport manager (a friend is now airport manager, which is why we end up fixing so many things that have been neglected for 30 years now) safety wired it together so it couldn't fall out, but never fixed it. Now I know why. The worse one on a 70s 580b is a mile past the loving backhoe's prostate. There is enough access that you can get one wrench on it or you can look at it but you certainly can't get two wrenches on it and look at it unless you've got 3 double jointed elbows on each arm, are a midget, and hate yourself. Or pull the entire console and fuel tank off.

So I spent an hour and a half with gearwrenches buried up to the elbow on the drat thing, contorted, working blind, to remove one of those nuts from the ballstud. I hope you're happy, backhoe designer... gently caress you

Once I fixed that and the steering ram TRE I could actually use it for what I went there to do, unload my big dumb axle from the truck and get it on some jackstands to tear it down.

See those K stamps on the carrier bearing caps (they're faint) and diff cover mounting flange? Those are prestamped on almost every Dana Spicer axle housing. They tell you what position and orientation to put the bearing caps back on in because they are line bored with the caps in place and match only that axle and position. If you are buying an axle and the letters don't match or aren't oriented right, low-ball the gently caress out of them or don't buy because at minimum it needs the bearings replaced and the caps put back in the right places and it might need the carrier reshimmed, the whole diff setup redone, or if some hick threw junkyard caps in to sell it, the caps cut down and then the housing line bored to return the journals to round.

Axle minus all the drum brake crap, cover, and shafts.

If I can find a common donor for inner shafts that makes it slightly narrower, those open knuckles sitting in front of each side are getting swapped on. I don't like parts availability on the old stuff.

It turns out the spindles for these are like early 60 spindles. Really early ones - the alignment shoulder on the back is 4.3125 od instead of 4.5 like modern ones (where modern means open knuckle.). And the seal surface on them is different from normal spindles too, so I can't just swap hubs and brake caliper brackets on. So I need to either machine the outer knuckle and use my own knuckle parts from the spindle out, or swap knuckles. I'm leaning toward swapping knuckles.

Subaru r160 ring and carrier for scale.

I can't get the carrier out - carrier bearing preload is still great - so I called it quits and bought a case spreader on eBay. 5.13 gears are on their way too.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
I know you're into older Jeeps, this one is pretty rare. I'd never heard of a Kamanchi, must have been a one-off.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I troll Jeep Facebook groups with that nonsense all the time :lol:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

WHICH WAY MADNESS posted:

I know you're into older Jeeps, this one is pretty rare. I'd never heard of a Kamanchi, must have been a one-off.

Japanese market variant.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well I guess the decision of how to proceed on the d70 build has been made now. I needed flat stock to make shims for mounting my lift the rest of the way and went to the steel shop in town. Went to another one on a whim on the way home, they have random big DOM tubing so I like to check stock and see if they have anything I can use one in a while. I went in expecting to have to buy something not quite ideal that would do the job... Needed 3.5x0.75 DOM. I suspected I might need up to 3 feet, which was going to cost 350 dollars shipped from a specialty tubing place in Ohio.

They had exactly that material on the shelf. And wanted almost nothing for it. I ended up giving the guy 100 for it because I felt bad about taking 350 bucks in tube for less than that and figured keeping in town suppliers happy will probably work in my favor in the future.

This poo poo is heavy and it's gonna take forever to turn down to the right shape on each end... Worth it.

Edit: so basically the open knuckles need more tube length for the same axle shaft length, and closed knuckles have this weird tapered down tube section at the end (to increase steering angle) that won't fit the open knuckles. The d70 tube is 3.5x0.5 so it's 2.5 ID. Normal d60 tube is 3.125x0.5 and the open knuckles are bored for that OD. So I need to extend the tube and make it smaller at one end. One end of the 3.5x0.75 will get turned down to 2.5x0.25 to slot into the d70 tube and welded in, the other end will get turned down to 3.125x0.5625 and welded into the knuckles.

The best part? This means I can adjust the axle width a little to make it match the rear axle better, use more common inboard axle shafts (cheaper to get alloys for it and lower lead times), etc.

kastein fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 30, 2017

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The reason they wanted almost nothing for the tube is another customer bought a number of segments cut to length and that was the remaining piece. They paid for the whole tube off the previous customer's order. What you gave them was just gravy.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Everybody wins.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm fine with that, now I just gotta get this drat lathe running so I can make it into a giant pile of shavings.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

On a related note we recently needed to order material for a job which has been running from stock since the beginning of time. The part is made from a thin copper tube and it turns out the minimum material buy is 3000 ft. With the size of the parts and the customer's average order quantity the material will last us 99.5 years and the margins on the parts will pay off all 3000 feet in the first year.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I guess you just have to hope they don't change the design in the first year or two now. drat engineers... :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Anti archive bump... Waiting on stuff for the lift still and maintaining shitboxes is boring.

The Forester now has blown head gaskets, beginnings of rod knock, a slipping clutch, and horrible piston slap. I hope someone totals it so I don't have to swap the spare motor in.

Did the harmonic balancer on the Comanche because it started falling apart and grinding on the timing cover and holy gently caress it's such a quiet truck now. The screeching, squealing, tapping I thought was bad lifters, AND grinding bosses are all gone.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
How many Subaru engine swaps have you done now? You need them marked with stickers like the Gorester

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

On the red Forester I put one engine in the day I bought it, another a year-ish later, another a month after that, then parted it out a few months later.

The silver Forester I still haven't done but it's due.

The Justy needs one too :sigh: