Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Zuul the Cat posted:

Now I want to play against Tau and see how I do. I'll have to check the local scene and see if anyone has any.

Tau have two settings. They either punch you in the face so hard you wonder why you bothered getting your poo poo out, or they get blown away and they wonder why they bothered getting their poo poo out. If you don't bring enough anti-infantry firepower to clear away drones, then you aren't going to get to their suits anytime fast. This is, by the way, the only way I have managed to get my Tau army to work at all.

I don't use any forgeworld stuff, but I can say that when I've brought my Longstrike + Hammerhead friends as the basis of the list, I just die. Predators (especially) and Dunecrawlers are just superior. In particular, Onager Dunecrawlers + Cawl play much more like the hammerheads of old, with moving and firing without penalty and 4+ "Jink" saves and amazing accuracy. To the point that I seriously considered just putting my Hammerheads on the Onager base and using my Tau with Admech rules instead. Neutron Laser + Dual Stubbers even has the same basic weapon setup as the Railgun + Burst Cannon hammerhead.

And of course, unlike Cawl you can't hide or screen Longstrike, and once he goes down the rest of the Hammerheads really drop off in effectiveness.

I've found that Tau depend immensely on people not knowing the tricks that they play. Stealth Suits can deploy anywhere they want more than 9-inches away from the enemy. Then they can move, and at the end of their movement phase plant a beacon that lets a single (1) unit deepstrike. That (1) unit can deepstrike anywhere within 6-inches of the Beacon, and then the beacon fizzles out forever. So plan for a single commander with BS2+ and 4 meltaguns landing in your face if the Tau go first. If you have a big screening unit like Conscripts, you can at least prevent the commander from landing within Melta range of your big thing.

If they have more than one stealth suit squad, they can each bring in a homing beacon, and each homing beacon is one additional commander or some other unit that can come in. Then the commander will typically try to charge something with dangerous shooting. They can fly over your screening units for the charge, so keep that in mind. If the Tau player is smart they will declare multiple charges, one on the screening unit right next to it and one on a dangerous thing further away you were trying to hide. They probably have a couple of Shield Drones to eat lucky lascannon overwatch hits, but again plan ahead for this.

Coldstar Commanders can move 20 inches a turn, and when they advance they go a total of 40 inches.

Gun Drones units next to a Cadre Fireblade get six shots each at half range (9-inches).

Longstrike hits on a 2+ and and wounds vehicles/monsters on a 2+ with his railgun (and causes extra mortal wounds against vehicles/monsters on a 5+) in addition to giving himself and other hammerheads around him +1 to hit. He's just a tank with no defensive bonuses. Kill him first.

Also don't expect crisis suits to be anything except for Commanders carrying four weapons. Quad Fusion gets most of the press, but quad Missile Pods and quad Cyclic Ion Blasters can both make a big dent in what you're doing. Missile Pods are basically autocannons, and the Cyclic Ion Blaster is either 3 shots Str7 Ap-1, or d3 shots Str8 AP-1 that also does d3 damage.

Gun Drones can only ever target the closest unit (Vehicle weapon gun drones are an exception to this, because the vehicle pilot is using their guns). They also have crap leadership. You can use this to your advantage by putting tough things that gun drones don't want to shoot at in front of more squishy things.

If you bring an army not prepared to deal with these things, then you are going to be really stifled. If you bring an army that can deal with these sorts of things, then the Tau are just gonna pick their poo poo up by the handfuls. Also, killpoints make tau lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Big McHuge posted:

Space Wolves Time: I was able to identify about half the pieces in this army using the GW site, however if anyone can help out with some of the pics below, it'd be much appreciated.

Once again I appreciate all the help with evaluating/pricing out this stuff. I have to admit going through this process has kind of made me nostalgic for my old 40k stuff.

For the record, this is one of my favourite Space Wolf minis of all time, and I am sad that mine got destroyed.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah that was my first time fighting longstrike and hammerhead buddies so I didn't do well at it. I was worried about the riptide and sent a lot of my AT capabilities after it, but I should've waited to see where longstrike would be and put everything on that side of the board.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

OptimusWang posted:

I just bought the dark imperium box and have a question before I paint all my new space barbies: do the space marine chapters mean anything game-wise, or is it all just fluff?

It goes both ways. You can play a Space Marine and whatever colors you want and that's cool and fine and just fluff. But there are some factions that have specific rules, like blood angels or space wolves. If you want, you can be your own colors and say you're a successor chapter of the blood angels so you use blood angels rules instead of space marine rules. Either way, you pick one thing for your rules and then you can color them however the gently caress you think looks cool :)

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
As long as what you have looks cool to you and you aren't doing some weird poo poo with the posing or pretending a cultist is secretly a Land Raider then nobody is going to give a poo poo outside of the types of people you don't want to play with to begin with

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Come over to the goon painting challenge thread and we'll roll you up a chapter you can then stick whatever rules on you like.

How do you think I got into painting space mans? :v:

I just didn't know the rules surrounding chapters and whatnot - didn't want to gimp myself because red guys can't be ultramarines or whatever.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

There are plenty of red Ultramarine successor chapters so you're fine

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Hey, it's 40k's 30th birthday! And how do you celebrate a birthday in style?

With lists!

Top 5 Squigs

Top 5 Mutations

Popular rumours abound of diminutive, intrepid humans called Squats, but such talk is surely rumour and happenstance.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
The rules say you can Fall Back from combat but says nothing about how to do it except you must get farther than 1" away from the Enemy.

There's nothing in the FAQ, either. Uh, wot? :v:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
They keep hinting at either bringing squats back or releasing something like Demiurg. If they do space dwarfs any justice at all I'm going to have to buy them.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Pendent posted:

They keep hinting at either bringing squats back or releasing something like Demiurg. If they do space dwarfs any justice at all I'm going to have to buy them.

By this you mean Land Trains, Zeppelins, and more guns than Guard?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Post 9-11 User posted:

The rules say you can Fall Back from combat but says nothing about how to do it except you must get farther than 1" away from the Enemy.

You move back during the movement phase, so you move your normal distance.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pendent posted:

Squats are gonna get a release before sisters will.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

dexefiend posted:

By this you mean Land Trains, Zeppelins, and more guns than Guard?

If anyone gets Land trains, it better be AdMech. :colbert:

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Zuul the Cat posted:

If anyone gets Land trains, it better be AdMech. :colbert:

It would just be a human-centipede of servitors with guns bolted to their spines.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

It would just be a human-centipede of servitors with guns bolted to their spines.

:thunk:

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Pendent posted:

I've been told the studio did a bunch of concept art for them a while back for space based squats that fled their destroyed homeworlds. I don't know if anything was done with it though.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I was pretty down on the Redemptor dread from the first pictures, but now I've built and painted one I'm way more into it. Great kit.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Cannot unsee shocked Dreadnought face in the second picture.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

WAYNES
WORLD

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Even in death I still party

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

I would honestly want to see the final result of that. Because I think tallboy Wulfen would look neat and stand out really well.
If not kinda tempted to do it myself at some point with just a five man squad of them. All you'd really need is a decent head and maybe some clawed hands to make them look a bit like how they originally looked like.

Some guy on 'Eavier Metal made a squad. I don't remember his name, but they're rad as poo poo.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

BirdieBedtime posted:

Some guy on 'Eavier Metal made a squad. I don't remember his name, but they're rad as poo poo.

Yeah that's pretty good. Mostly because he left the feet unchanged.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

BirdieBedtime posted:

I was skeptical but that works extremely well.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

BirdieBedtime posted:

Wait, so what kits went into this? Because they're rad.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Shockeh posted:

Wait, so what kits went into this? Because they're rad.

Looks like basic Intercessors plus Wulfen, maybe with a few generic extra SW bits thrown on.

They look good, shows that the main issue with the Wulfen kit are their furry legs and power-jorts.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Reivers would be a better fit for them but yeah they're rad.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Corrode posted:

I was pretty down on the Redemptor dread from the first pictures, but now I've built and painted one I'm way more into it. Great kit.

I agree. I have 2 ... and I kinda want 4.

Good job on this one!

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 6, 2017

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Post 9-11 User posted:

You just move. It's a regular move made during the movement phase. Use the normal rules for movement, and end further than 1" away from the enemy.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

How does Berserk Rampage work on Old One Eye?

The way my Tyranid friend has been reading it, he's making another attack for each successful hit that Old One Eye makes, which seems kind of bullshit to me because with the 2+ to hit (including the aura) he's getting like 4-5 extra attacks on top of the 5 base attacks.

Unless this is the way it's intended?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

That's exactly how it works per the text.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Well poo poo, now I know what I've got to aim the plasma incinerators at

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What's the preferred loadout for the Redemptors?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Rules question:
In the most recent FAQ for the 40k rulebook, this paragraph was added in:

quote:

Page 178 – Re-rolls
Change this paragraph to read:
‘Some rules allow you to re-roll a dice roll, which means
you get to roll some or all of the dice again. If a rule
allows you to re-roll a result that was made by adding
several dice together (e.g. 2D6, 3D6, etc.) then, unless
otherwise stated, you must roll all of those dice again.
You can never re-roll a dice more than once, and re-rolls
happen before modifiers (if any) are applied.’
The question: if when using a command point re-roll to re-roll a smite test or a charge or whatever, this would mean that the whole roll must be re-rolled, instead of just one dice. Am I reading that right?

I ask because no one at NOVA (at least in the narrative) was playing it that way. There were tons of single dice re-rolls as part of a larger roll. I was certainly guilty of it!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

No, the stratagem specifically says "a single D6" which is why it works differently.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

The Sex Cannon posted:

Rules question:

The question: if when using a command point re-roll to re-roll a smite test or a charge or whatever, this would mean that the whole roll must be re-rolled, instead of just one dice. Am I reading that right?

I ask because no one at NOVA (at least in the narrative) was playing it that way. There were tons of single dice re-rolls as part of a larger roll. I was certainly guilty of it!

The FAQ has the words "unless otherwise stated". Since the command point states "reroll any singe die", that would fall under being otherwise stated, and you would just reroll one of the two dice for charges, psychic tests, etc. It specifically states in the stratagem to roll just one die. That's how we're ruling it at the renegade open.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

Rules question:

My hyper-rules-lawyery interpretation:

The Strategem reads "You can re-roll any single dice." The FAQ specifies "re-roll a result". Because there is no obligation for a specific result (for example a Chapter Master allowing for rerolls of misses) the FAQ doesn't apply.

Also the FAQ is fun because it makes modifiers super powerful. Your Hellblaster rolled a 2 against something which gives -1 to hit? Congrats he's dead and your nearby Captain can't force a reroll.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Good to know. Thanks, guys!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm just glad all three of us agreed on something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

That modifiers thing makes the Chapter Master re-roll really annoying when you have to remember to discard 3s because they haven't technically missed yet.