Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tarantula posted:

I would love the details on what those expectations are, no foreigners wiping their rear end? A hill to watch the young toil under their dying gaze?

That and holiday-like trips & great food.

The realities of hospice care are probably going to kill a few early from shock.

:thumbsup:

Also this inter-generational stuff is going to die out to a point - everyone after the boomers are simply the hosed Generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Can't wait for the cyberpunk future in which there will be new laws saying if you want to go on Centerlink you have to donate a kidney and your blood once a fortnight to old rich dudes, since they contribute more.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

High Court postal vote verdict due Thursday

2.15pm tomorrow, right in the middle of question time :toot:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

High Court postal vote verdict due Thursday

2.15pm tomorrow, right in the middle of question time :toot:

Based on how it went yesterday I don't think the High Court is blocking it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

buzzfeed news posted:

Early on, Donaghue pointed out that even if the legal challenges win on the arguments around spending money, it may not stop the survey: “Nothing put on the financial side of the case deals with the question of whether the survey can proceed.”

The ABS could technically dip into its regular budget to fund the survey — depriving the agency of funds to carry out other things. Donaghue’s statement doesn’t mean this will definitely happen, but the mere suggestion had the LGBTI advocates watching on rattled.

Lol a 122$ million plebiscite is like 1/4 of the ABS's annual budget.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

open24hours posted:

North Korea might be a bit cold for Australian retirees.

Send them to South Korea instead, the north will be installing heating shortly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just wire me into a Dreadnought and send me to do battle against, I dunno, the New Neo Nazis of 40,000chan or whoever the Americans have rolled the dice and declared war on this time.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Inescapable Duck posted:

Just wire me into a Dreadnought and send me to do battle against, I dunno, the New Neo Nazis of 40,000chan or whoever the Americans have rolled the dice and declared war on this time.

We'll dress you like an aid worker and have you carry bulk loads of smallpox blankets in.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Anyone just see the interview with Scott Morrison? Idk why ABC didn't get on the Resources Minister but it really does seem we're hosed in terms of energy sources.

LNP will sell out to coal again because we have no alternative energy infrastructure - they're literally just planning to make these talks now. We'll be a laughing stock with our 8pm lights our curfew due to lack in energy resources should everything shut up shop tomorrow. Their sole argument is how it's Labor's fault for raising the white flag and the loss of jobs caused by downsizing mines.

Can't wait to be apart of the dark ages.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

woofbro posted:

Anyone just see the interview with Scott Morrison? Idk why ABC didn't get on the Resources Minister but it really does seem we're hosed in terms of energy sources.

LNP will sell out to coal again because we have no alternative energy infrastructure - they're literally just planning to make these talks now. We'll be a laughing stock with our 8pm lights our curfew due to lack in energy resources should everything shut up shop tomorrow. Their sole argument is how it's Labor's fault for raising the white flag and the loss of jobs caused by downsizing mines.

When a system is hosed it's best to let it all burn down and build anew.

Praise Immortan Joe, savior of the wasteland.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Do not, my friends, become addicted to coal! It will take a hold of you, and you will resent its absence!

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

woofbro posted:

It's ok, Barnaby Joyce will ban greenie charities from destroying our energy.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lol

quote:

Barnaby Joyce has criticised the charitable status of environmental groups, questioning why they should receive tax deductible donations for “destroy[ing] the economic base of Australia”.

In a speech to the Minerals Council on Wednesday, the deputy prime minister...

quote:

But on Friday the Australia Institute – itself a registered charity – released a paper analysing the degree of tax-deductible advocacy engaged in by foreign-funded mining lobby groups such as the Minerals Council.

It found the Australian mining industry was 86% foreign-owned and had spent more than half a billion dollars lobbying Australian governments over the past decade – most of which would have been a tax deduction for the companies, resulting in forgone tax revenue of about $162m.

The report notes:

Lobbying by Rio Tinto and BHP Billiton has prevented an inquiry into the $75bn-a-year iron ore industry.

The Minerals Council lobbies to maintain subsidies and tax concessions for mining companies that cost Australian taxpayers billions every year. In 2013, taxpayers paid $4.5bn in subsidies and concessions to the mining industry.

The mining industry spent at least $100m from 2010-12 lobbying for the repeal of the minerals resource rent tax, or “mining tax”, which budget papers estimate has reduced tax revenue by $5.3bn.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
:cripes: what a massive joke. Imagine ever thinking that the Lnp were financially responsible or whatever the line is

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Knorth posted:

:cripes: what a massive joke. Imagine ever thinking that the Lnp were financially responsible or whatever the line is

An IPA member goes to buy a coffee and finds no cash in his wallet because of all the cocaine he did the previous night off a bathroom sink.

"Labor's Fault [tm]" he grumbles.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/rpy/status/905272848373207042

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Emma Alberici marry me. She just won't take bullshit from Josh Frydenberg. Calls out lies and won't let him distract the issue into an attack on Labor.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

AgentF posted:

Emma Alberici marry me. She just won't take bullshit from Josh Frydenberg. Calls out lies and won't let him distract the issue into an attack on Labor.

Yeah ok but she and Sales also helped the libs win in 2013 by perpetuating their absolute lies about the performance of the 43rd parliament and the realities of the fiscal situation as well as the relevance of the boat born refugees as an issue. They can both loving burn for that tbh.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Like, being deliberately adversarial and cutting off your interviewee may seem cool and good when it's some ratfuck like Frydenberg or Cormann spinning the same tired lies, but when it's the PM and she's actually trying to explain the complexities of government in the face of wanker IDpol taking points, it's just garbage journalism.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Reading that made me very cross.

One dude in the 19th century didn't mention colonial oppression therefore it does not exist. Great logic.

Selective memory is a speciality of right-wing revisionists. Right out of the Windschuttle playbook.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Knorth posted:

I love my grandparents but this exact thing comes up from time to time, must be nice to live under the illusion that the adults are in charge or something

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Peter Costello's pointy ears made it easier for boomers to believe that they were being visited by the magic economy elf.

Thus a Liberal Government is basically Santa Claus' workshop who builds economic policy for boys and girls all year long.

(Everyone got coal)

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

ewe2 posted:

Right out of the Windschuttle playbook.

Has there been any critical rebuttals to his work? I imagine most serious historians dismiss it outright, but I'm curious and couldn't find one.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Zenithe posted:

Has there been any critical rebuttals to his work? I imagine most serious historians dismiss it outright, but I'm curious and couldn't find one.

The major one was Robert Manne's Whitewash: On Keith Windschuttle’s Fabrication of Aboriginal History

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Zenithe posted:

my take when I studied it was that he was able to find some errors in people's footnotes but had no explanation for the massive indigenous depopulation which even he acknowledges happened

I heard him say "they could have been taken by aliens"

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The major one was Robert Manne's Whitewash: On Keith Windschuttle’s Fabrication of Aboriginal History

This is a collection of essays on various aspects of Windschuttle's work, and it's well worth reading, I have the google books version. There's a lot of interesting historiography to learn in the process.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

there are no good journalists, very few competent journalists and all the rest are utter rubbish. a high school comprehension of writing mixed with a primary school appreciation of politics. their mere existence in our political system makes it worse.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
https://m.sportsbet.com.au/#/betting/politics/same-sex-marriage

Postal vote being cancelled is at $4!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Free money available rn goons

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Fully expect the High Court is going to say it's fine but even if they don't ok the expenditure the government will still direct the ABS to do it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Yeah but they don't have to pay out until the next election

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'm expecting the High Court to okay it. It being funded by a discretionary fund will allow the Commonwealth enough wiggle room to get it through.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Senor Tron posted:

Fully expect the High Court is going to say it's fine but even if they don't ok the expenditure the government will still direct the ABS to do it.

Didn't someone say this was a third of their budget or something insane?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Zenithe posted:

Didn't someone say this was a third of their budget or something insane?

122 million $ plebiscite, ABS total budget for 2015-2016 $562,622,000

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Make ABS fund plebiscite out of existing budget, then give ABS 122 million from the advance to the finance minister as an urgent and unforeseen expenditure.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
I believe the argument went in the court that if the ABS doesn't get the funding then it becomes the ABS's choice how best to run the survey.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Goffer posted:

I believe the argument went in the court that if the ABS doesn't get the funding then it becomes the ABS's choice how best to run the survey.

Quick, lets get the head of the ABS to think the best way to run this survey is to duck down to the queens pub on a friday night, shout people a round of drinks and have a vote there. Everyone who wants a free drink is a vote for yes. Everyone who doesnt is a vote for no.

Cheaper, quicker, just as accurate and binding.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Peter Costello's pointy ears made it easier for boomers to believe that they were being visited by the magic economy elf.

Thus a Liberal Government is basically Santa Claus' workshop who builds economic policy for boys and girls all year long.

(Everyone got coal)

If you're a good little boy (and vote lnp) the magical economy elves bring lots of economy. If you're a bad little boy (and vote anything else) the economy elves run away and it's all chaos, debt and deficit disaster and labor waste.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

At the Adelaide Show yesterday there must have been a Liberal stand somewhere because I saw a disturbing amount of Liberal balloons tied to prams.

"Hey, the Libs have actually increased household costs for families but FYGM"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Power privatisation a failure as 'ruthless' companies rip off customers, Shorten says

Pls renationalise everything Shorten senpai

• Locked thread