Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade from my Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5.

Reading through the thread it seems the Fuji X-T20 is getting a lot of praise. However I have a few questions:

After some shallow googlin' I can't seem to find an answer to whether I will be able to use my old panasonic lenses?

Will the diffirence in crop factor give me better image quality? Better ISO performance?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Mikojan posted:

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade from my Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5.

Reading through the thread it seems the Fuji X-T20 is getting a lot of praise. However I have a few questions:

After some shallow googlin' I can't seem to find an answer to whether I will be able to use my old panasonic lenses?

Will the diffirence in crop factor give me better image quality? Better ISO performance?

Thanks!

The lenses aren't compatible and I don't believe there is a Fuji X mount to µ4/3rds adapter.

The difference in sensor size will give you better lowlight performance. The XT-20 gets a lot of praise for high-ISO quality. Also the sensor and image processors in the XT-20 are the same as in the X-Pro2 and X-T2 (which are both sold at roughly double the price of the XT-20).

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I have a musician friend who is looking for a sub 1k camera to record him playing on video. I am very out of touch about what is good in terms of mirrorless video even though it has been discussed here often - what are the common suggestions? It would have to have her capability to plug in external sound and not use internal mics.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

gx85 i think

scratch that they removed it from the g7.

gx8 i think

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Or g85

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
The Panasonic G7 has sound in but no headphone jack out, so you can record but not monitor. If that's a concern.

G85 still doesn't have a headphone jack out, but reportedly it allows you to monitor sound through the HDMI port with an adapter.

The G7's cheap enough you can get it plus something like a Tascam DR-40 or Zoom H4N and still be under a grand, get better audio than any in-body option, and look cool recording with a giant wad of machinery. You'd need a way to edit the sound back into the video, though.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
How's the durability of the silver X-T1s and other bodies? I found a good deal on a silver one and I want to upgrade from the X-Pro1 but I'm curious about how it'll look with time and use.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
People go out of their way to get a silver XT1/black X100 usually baby their gears.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
I babied my silver XT1, but used it a ton as well. It was all for nothing now that the dog has annihilated it, so YMMV. I won't waste money on the silver one next round as much as I like the looks of it. It's seriously just a waste of money that could be put toward glass.

I took everyone's tips on the 1/50th of a second for video on the T1. I think this latest video turned out much better. Thanks for the advice!

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

That said I've had two x100s (original and a T) that I just throw in a bag and take everywhere. Never had a single issue with them (beyond obviously some cosmetic scuffing). I just put on a cheap third party lens hood and that's about it. I wouldn't worry too much about how babied a Fuji is, unless you want it looking brand new.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I meant more of like "how will it stand up to my hard use?" But the fucker was already sold when I asked the first time so I'll have to wait for another good deal on an XT-1.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

DJExile posted:

Oh poo poo PIMM's back :toot:

Life got busy man, photography hobby took a backseat for a while and I've been super happy with the x100 + tclx100 for years now. Tech is finally advanced enough I feel I'd notice the upgrade bump. I'll do a proper x100 vs x100f test once it's mine

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Does anyone have an A7 with a 35 f2.8, and what are your thoughts on the combo? I'm considering that setup for an everyday kind of shooter, and to the point where I'm about ready to plunk down money for a rental to see how it feels.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Helicity posted:

Does anyone have an A7 with a 35 f2.8?

I use an A7RII now, but I used an A7R previously and my 35mm f/2.8 and 55mm f/1.8 were my go-to street lenses (and still are). Absolutely loved it, the 35mm is wonderfully compact and I'm a big fan of the overall image quality and look. I bought my 35mm second hand which I would recommend given the rather high retail price.

One downside is that I wouldn't expect too much from the autofocus performance of the system, but I'm used to shooting slowly so I never really thought of it as a problem. If it's image quality you're looking for though, you'll be hard pressed to find a combo as good given the size/weight and price point.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

rio posted:

I have a musician friend who is looking for a sub 1k camera to record him playing on video. I am very out of touch about what is good in terms of mirrorless video even though it has been discussed here often - what are the common suggestions? It would have to have her capability to plug in external sound and not use internal mics.

This might depend on what they plan on doing with the video. Zoom makes a few units now that have wide angle cameras built in so its like getting a Zoom recorder with go-pro. Then you don't worry about lenses, settings, and can get more input options for plugging in a mixer or mics. https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/video-recording

Depends on how well you think they will be able to make use of a m43 system like the Panasonic ones mentioned.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rio posted:

Has he considered a LG V20/V30 on a gimbal? I heard they put quality audio gear in them.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Helicity posted:

Does anyone have an A7 with a 35 f2.8, and what are your thoughts on the combo? I'm considering that setup for an everyday kind of shooter, and to the point where I'm about ready to plunk down money for a rental to see how it feels.

A7ii with the zeiss 35mm f2.8 is my default these days. It's great. I think after years of using the iphone as a camera, 35mm has become natural.

I also tried the rokinon 35mm, which seems comparable image quality wise, but the focus speed leaves a lot to be desired.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Choicecut posted:

Yeah it sucks. I felt like crying when it happened! The damage doesn't seem terrible.

At least you have something else to blame. Imagine the despair of driving off with your week old new X-E1 and 35mm lens on the roof of your car. And the sudden realization of what the banging sound on your trunk was when you accelerate on to the busy arterial road.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

At least you have something else to blame. Imagine the despair of driving off with your week old new X-E1 and 35mm lens on the roof of your car. And the sudden realization of what the banging sound on your trunk was when you accelerate on to the busy arterial road.
gently caress.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Speaking of Fuji X-E cameras, the X-E3 is getting announced in the next few hours. Here are the leaked photos and specs if you're curious:

http://www.fujirumors.com/new-fujifilm-x-g-roadmap-firmware-x-e3-specs-confirmed-release-september-28/

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Speaking of Fuji X-E cameras, the X-E3 is getting announced in the next few hours. Here are the leaked photos and specs if you're curious:

http://www.fujirumors.com/new-fujifilm-x-g-roadmap-firmware-x-e3-specs-confirmed-release-september-28/

I can't wait...for the firmware trickledown improvements to my xpro and x100

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Go on, you're making me feel better. Did it completely ruin the gear?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

That's interesting. I really enjoyed the form factor of my xe1, but it seemed really sluggish so I sold it. 24mp sensor with the joystick in that form factor would be tempting.

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 7, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Oh God :gonk:

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
gently caress yes. Fuji listened and in November X-T20 users get pseudo-joystick control via touch screen:

quote:

FUJIFILM X-T20: Ver.1.10
1. Touch panel operation when using the EVF
The firmware update will make it possible to use the touch panel while looking into the viewfinder. According to the operation method, it's possible to set the effective range of the touch panel to the full screen, right half, left half, or OFF.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

bobfather posted:

gently caress yes. Fuji listened and in November X-T20 users get pseudo-joystick control via touch screen:

THANK GOD

Edit: Oh sweet this will give me similar functionality to my G85 .. I LOVED that feature!

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 7, 2017

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

I'm curious to see what we'll be able to do with the Fuji X Raw Studio app when that comes out. On the GFX you can process 8 bit tiffs from the camera - I'm just spitballing, but if we could process 16 bit tiffs from RAF files on a computer, and have the same colors as current in-camera jpeg output, I would be a very happy camper.

Breadnought fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 7, 2017

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

quote:

Improve radio flash controller usability
The upgrade allows users to shoot with compatible third party studio flash in high speed sync. or TTL mode via their radio controllers.

I'm really curious to know what they mean by this on the 3.00 firmware upgrade for the X-T2. Maybe helping open things up for other lighting manufacturers? My Godox gear will be here tomorrow and I can't wait to try it out. But if this leads to more options then good.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

ReverendHammer posted:

I'm really curious to know what they mean by this on the 3.00 firmware upgrade for the X-T2. Maybe helping open things up for other lighting manufacturers? My Godox gear will be here tomorrow and I can't wait to try it out. But if this leads to more options then good.

Profoto announced an Air Remote TTL-F for Fuji so I imagine it's referring to that at the very least, if not opening it up to even more manufacturers. It is a bit odd though that Godox and Cactus were able to release TTL triggers before this update - I have literally no idea what goes into making a TTL trigger though so it's entirely possible that the other major flash manufacturers need a firmware update for their transceivers to play nicely with Fuji cameras.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Do any of you Fuji people have experience with both the 50mm f2 and 56 1.2? I'm trying to decide which to buy. I'm leaning towards the 50 mostly because of price but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has used both.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Breadnought posted:

Profoto announced an Air Remote TTL-F for Fuji so I imagine it's referring to that at the very least, if not opening it up to even more manufacturers. It is a bit odd though that Godox and Cactus were able to release TTL triggers before this update - I have literally no idea what goes into making a TTL trigger though so it's entirely possible that the other major flash manufacturers need a firmware update for their transceivers to play nicely with Fuji cameras.

Yeah I saw the Profoto announcement around the same time. Hopefully it can be interpreted as getting out some sort of SDK or whatever to other manufacturers to get us more HSS/TTL options.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

grahm posted:

Do any of you Fuji people have experience with both the 50mm f2 and 56 1.2? I'm trying to decide which to buy. I'm leaning towards the 50 mostly because of price but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has used both.

I have the 35mm f2 and 56mm 1.2. Not quite what you are asking but the f2 weather sealed lenses are all very similar in quality. The 56 is Magic and they probably killed some unicorns to make the lens. It and the 23 1.4 are by far the two lenses I use the most. The f2 is high quality, fast focusing (although on the x-t2 I don't notice much of a difference in af speed between lenses in general), weather sealed which is nice and is a very nice lens. And smaller of course. But that 56 is just special. If I were to do it again I would still get the 56. I had the choice between the 23 f2 and the 23 1.4 and feel the same about those two lenses. I also really like that extra wide aperture to at least have as an option and compared to when I shot Canon all of these lenses are tiny so the size difference doesn't really matter to me.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I agree with what rio said, the 56/1.2 is pure magic. I see no reason to get the 50/2 unless you really need weathersealed, or can't afford the 56, or don't like the size.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
The only reason I can see to get the 50mm f/2 over the 56mm is if you intend to mostly shoot moving subjects with it and don't care about f/1.2. I love my 56mm f/1.2 but I'm strongly considering picking up an f/2 version just for shooting live music events because sometimes the 56mm is just so slow to lock focus. I would never ever give up my 56mm though if you shoot portraits you need that lens (and also probably the 90mm f/2 , but admittedly I have a bit of a problem buying lenses).

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I have a lens buying problem too and the wide lenses and the 90 are all that I haven't convinced myself to get yet. How good is the 90? I have the 50-140 and figure that 2.8 down to 2 isn't a big enough justification to get the 90...at least that's what I tell myself to avoid dropping even more cash down the Fuji hole.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

rio posted:

I have a lens buying problem too and the wide lenses and the 90 are all that I haven't convinced myself to get yet. How good is the 90? I have the 50-140 and figure that 2.8 down to 2 isn't a big enough justification to get the 90...at least that's what I tell myself to avoid dropping even more cash down the Fuji hole.

The 90mm is amazing. I use it constantly for headshots and bridal portraits.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The Fuji 200mm F2 looks like quite a beast.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Pablo Bluth posted:

The Fuji 200mm F2 looks like quite a beast.

They usually are. The poll on fujirumors made me giggle, the majority of respondents said they would be interested if it's less than 3 grand. Good luck chappies, good luck.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Anyone recorded video with the 35 f2? I have a weird issue with mine where it is zooming in and out in video mode. I have no idea how it's zooming when it's a freaking prime lens. It's like the frame crops slightly and uncrops, repeatedly. My camera took a hit the other day but it doesn't do this with my 16-55 or 23 1.4. Only the 35 is acting like this.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Choicecut posted:

Anyone recorded video with the 35 f2? I have a weird issue with mine where it is zooming in and out in video mode. I have no idea how it's zooming when it's a freaking prime lens. It's like the frame crops slightly and uncrops, repeatedly. My camera took a hit the other day but it doesn't do this with my 16-55 or 23 1.4. Only the 35 is acting like this.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/focus_breathing_focal_length_changes.html

This is (one reason) why cinema lenses cost a lot of money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Well poop..that's the problem for sure.