Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The thing no one (except the Russians) has been able to prove is that Trump being a bougie game show host was just a particularly loud cover for being a sex slave trafficker, and that trafficking sex slaves was where he *truly* gets his money.

Serious-face dog (it's a Groenendael) tax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ora Tzo posted:

America burns and drowns at the same time?
Well hipsters started eating the locusts so God had to limit the variety

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

coyo7e posted:

Well hipsters started eating the locusts so God had to limit the variety

Flu seasons just starting.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The thing no one (except the Russians) has been able to prove is that Trump being a bougie game show host was just a particularly loud cover for being a sex slave trafficker, and that trafficking sex slaves was where he *truly* gets his money.

Serious-face dog (it's a Groenendael) tax:

Trump being complicit in Russian human trafficking makes an astounding amount of sense and would play well with the rape enthusiast segment of his base. Which is likely a majority.

Our first post-civil war slaver president praises confederate statues as integral to our history, go figure.

ded redd fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 6, 2017

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Office Pig posted:

Trump being complicit in Russian human trafficking ...
Those were poor people, which gives Donald a loophole. He's made it pretty clear that anyone whose bank balance has less than seven digits before the decimal point doesn't really count as a person.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Telsa Cola posted:

Depending on the forest environment and what not the current forest fires can actually gently caress things up badly if the brush is built up and they burn too long/hot. Fire management is tricky.

Also if you are talking particularly about the fires that happen on the west coast, well most of the woodlands and poo poo there have been fire managed for at least hundreds of years so words like "need" and "nature" don't really apply that well since that environment is largely artificial.

The articles and radio things I've read and heard say the exact opposite of that; we haven't managed burns across the hundreds of thousands of acres of forestry across the western states, suppression of the natural burns along the ground leads to growth of trees that allow the fire to spread higher and the fires are worse now because of that and the obvious warming of the planet and spread of infestations that lead to even more dead trees among the living.

Telsa Cola posted:

Also if you are talking particularly about the fires that happen on the west coast, well most of the woodlands and poo poo there have been fire managed for at least hundreds of years so words like "need" and "nature" don't really apply that well since that environment is largely artificial.
I'm just going off this sort of stuff.

quote:

FLATOW: One question for you, Mary, while I have you there: How often, ideally, do forests need to burn? And Wally, you can jump in and talk about that. Is there an ideal number? Or...

LATA: Well, it varies with climate, and Wally, finish this thought. I can tell you what we're looking at right now. Based on talking to Paul and others, what we're writing in is a maintenance interval, and the intent of that is how long can a forest that starts out in a really good condition go and not start seeing really bad effects from fire when it does burn.

And a top number on that would be roughly 20. We would like to see, in our 4FRI area, a fire return interval of about 10 years. Historically, around here, we're looking at two to 21 depending on exactly where you're at in the cycle of weather.

FLATOW: Wally?

COVINGTON: Yeah, that's - Mary, you nailed it.

(SOUNDBITE OF LAUGHTER)

LATA: Thank God.

FLATOW: What - you talked about the fires and the canopy and burning very hot. What does a really hot-burning fire do to the ecosystem surrounding it?

COVINGTON: Yeah, so when we talk about fire-adapted forest, there are several kinds of fire-adapted forest. One is - we're all familiar, I think, from the fires of 1988 up in Yellowstone, those - the Lodgepole pine forest has experienced and co-evolved with crown fire.

So they have adaptations that allow them to respond, serotinous cones and others that we've talked about in the past, that allow them to thrive under crown fire conditions.

The frequent-fire forest, which Ponderosa pine and long leaf pine in the Southeast are kind of the characteristic forests of that type, have evolved under surface fires. And the surface fires sustain these forests. Many of the plants and animals besides the dominant trees require surface fires to thrive.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 6, 2017

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

i am harry posted:

The articles and radio things I've read and heard say the exact opposite of that; we haven't managed burns across the hundreds of thousands of acres of forestry across the western states, suppression of the natural burns along the ground leads to growth of trees that allow the fire to spread higher and the fires are worse now because of that and the obvious warming of the planet and spread of infestations that lead to even more dead trees among the living.

Beetles and lack of rain do the serious damage. Then some jackass has a camp fire or lightning strikes the wrong place.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

quote:

AUDIENCE MEMBER: Good morning. I'm a resident of Flagstaff, and I've got a third of an acre here in town. And when I'm sitting on my porch looking at the beautiful trees on my property, I've got two questions. One is: How many trees were on my property, say, 300 years ago before Europeans got here? And two: What's the maximum number of trees I should have on my property for safety?

SUMMERFELT: Well, let me answer that, if I could.

FLATOW: Go ahead, Paul.

SUMMERFELT: The first, and the response to the first question, the number of trees that existed on the property 300 years ago was, in most cases, probably in all likelihood, much less than what's there now. In terms of your second question of how may should you have, that's totally dependent upon the site and your property.

The best answer for that is given in the field, standing with you on your property, and so I would encourage you - you can call us or visit with me after this, and we will come and look at your property with you and talk about those questions.

FLATOW: There you go.

AUDIENCE MEMBER: Thanks.

COVINGTON: Just one additional point. When you look at - we've got studies throughout Western North America and in the Ponderosa pine type. And generally speaking, the densities before fire exclusion were somewhere between 50 and 40 or so trees per acre. Current densities are somewhere between 400 and several thousand trees per acre.

There's loads of reasons.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mustached Demon posted:

Beetles and lack of rain do the serious damage. Then some jackass has a camp fire or lightning strikes the wrong place.
The fire near me was reported as started by fireworks. :911:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Xae posted:

Eventually won't we start seeing storms just poo poo all over the existing categorization system?

Is there a plan for defining Category 6 or Category 5++ storms?

Cat 5 is just Cat hosed, it's the point at which no real human construction is meaningfully safe. There is nothing beyond that, once you threaten everything you threaten everything. There would be no meaning to Cat 6 or 7 or whatever, once you are hosed you are hosed. You'd need advances in construction and materials sciences and the vast rebuilding of our entire country to even have buildings that could easily stand up to Cat 5, and now we need to make clear that THIS is Cat 6, and even your fully enclosed archology will not save you. Otherwise nothing is meaningfully more threatening than Cat 5, so Cat 5 is the top.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shine black the sun
Shine blood the moon
Gehenna is coming soon

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So I've been seeing reports that the cave that North Korea uses for their nuke tests is at risk of collapsing. This would be pretty bad because it could release a lot of radiation into the air. Radiation that can travel over NK and potentially China.

Which would be ironic, since it's the Chinese that are basically NKs only lifeline at this point. They don't want to lift a finger to stop Kim's nuke program and now it looks like they might have to deal with it directly. Too bad it would just be the common folks that would get hurt by a radioactive cloud. But it's still something I doubt China wants to deal with.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
It feels like the solar eclipse we had last month was the signal of the apocalypse. I am not superstitious, but a once in a century flood striking Texas, a once in 500 years hurricane going through Florida, and massive forest fires in the west that blankets almost half the country in smoke occurring right after the sun was eclipsed sounds like the plot from a movie.

I wasn't born when Mt. St. Helens erupted so correct me if I'm wrong, but this has to be the most smoke in the air since it blew up 37 years ago.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

logger posted:

It feels like the solar eclipse we had last month was the signal of the apocalypse. I am not superstitious, but a once in a century flood striking Texas, a once in 500 years hurricane going through Florida, and massive forest fires in the west that blankets almost half the country in smoke occurring right after the sun was eclipsed sounds like the plot from a movie.

I wasn't born when Mt. St. Helens erupted so correct me if I'm wrong, but this has to be the most smoke in the air since it blew up 37 years ago.

It sounds like you are superstitious

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I swear to Christ every loving picture of Matt Forney I see looks like something that can be handily summed up as "Last know photograph of the deceased."

Also yeah in southern British Columbia the actual sun was blood red today because of the mix of smoke and overcast sky. And this is the LEAST on fire BC has been since late June too. We had a solid week and a half last month of poo poo like this:

If this ain't the end of days, it sure as poo poo feels like it.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

dont even fink about it posted:

Shine black the sun
Shine blood the moon
Gehenna is coming soon

Wyrm is waking up

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The 5am update is out. The track for Hurricane Irma now has it hitting the middle of Florida, but its still too early to have a good idea on the path. We'll pretty much know whats going to happen by Friday.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Rigel posted:

The 5am update is out. The track for Hurricane Irma now has it hitting the middle of Florida, but its still too early to have a good idea on the path. We'll pretty much know whats going to happen by Friday.

Would the middle be worst case for Florida since hurricanes are gently caress off huge?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The worst case was that model where it stops above like Cuba and then drives straight up the shaft hitting 90% of all Florida before beginning to meaningfully lose strength.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mulva posted:

The worst case was that model where it stops above like Cuba and then drives straight up the shaft hitting 90% of all Florida before beginning to meaningfully lose strength.

Right up the shaft like a catheter of doom?

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Kilroy posted:

Eclipse, bloodmoon, two record-breaking hurricanes, massive floods, probably an earthquake before the year is out, nuclear war, Nazis killing people and half the country cheering them on while the other half tries to figure out if the people fighting the Nazis are worse.

I'm pretty sure God is preparing to kill us all and I'm certain we deserve it. Here's my photo:

American privilege, americans really are the white people of the world.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Rigel posted:

This was in Des Moines, Iowa yesterday

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Red sky at night, things are ai'ight. Red sky in the morning, Trump is tweetstorming.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

jojoinnit posted:

Red sky at night, things are ai'ight. Red sky in the morning, Trump is tweetstorming.
Red sky at noon, world's ending soon.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Mulva posted:

Unfortunately, there's no real good case for Florida if it hits at all. If it makes it into the gulf and swings back, unless it goes all the way up to the panhandle, it's wrecking a major populated area with storm surge. Then again, it's already a cat 5, so strengthening further is more a matter of "gently caress, now everything is even more finely ground." If it hits at an angle that pushes that storm surge between Naples and Miami, that's mostly nature preserve. Not great, but maybe less human lives lost and nature just takes another one for the team? It might also thread the needle with its worst parts and spend more of its cat 5 time over less inhabited areas. Even getting knocked down to cat 3 before ramming a city could be huge.

Like you said, worst case is storm surging one of those cities and going beast mode on the rest of the state. Going up the state might not be bad, though, if it miraculously goes between the cities and loses that strength.

gently caress, wishing my family and friends took the hint from Charley and moved out of Florida.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Mulva posted:

Cat 5 is just Cat hosed, it's the point at which no real human construction is meaningfully safe. There is nothing beyond that, once you threaten everything you threaten everything. There would be no meaning to Cat 6 or 7 or whatever, once you are hosed you are hosed. You'd need advances in construction and materials sciences and the vast rebuilding of our entire country to even have buildings that could easily stand up to Cat 5, and now we need to make clear that THIS is Cat 6, and even your fully enclosed archology will not save you. Otherwise nothing is meaningfully more threatening than Cat 5, so Cat 5 is the top.
Reading this and looking at your avatar, I choose to forget that Cat is short for Category.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Ora Tzo posted:

America burns and drowns at the same time?

The religious prayed for rapture and it came.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

empty whippet box posted:

I wish one of these people would just come out spewing some real rear end poo poo, not 'this is a sad day' but "man gently caress this mother fucker, I swear to god if you make me president I'll undo every single thing this slimy pervert did in the oval office, gently caress him, gently caress his family and gently caress his voters vote for ME!"

I'd loving vote for that

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1586639544/Screen_Shot_2011-10-13_at_11.43.30_AM_400x400.png

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
There's a new storm brewing in the mid Atlantic...

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/905381817695526912

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/905383039517282304

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/905383515302264832

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Here is a collection of live feeds from various parts of the Caribbean:

https://codepen.io/alexneises/full/brJvLp/

Most of the feeds are very choppy (party because of the conditions, and also because so many people are suddenly tuning in) but poo poo is horrifying.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Push El Burrito posted:

Could someone in a really high up plane pee into that hurricane and have their pee land miles away?

Dodgy math time.

Assuming:

Plane is at 30,000 feet.

Terminal velocity of droplets is 8 m/s.

Windspeed of 185mph.

The time for the droplets to fall from 30,000 is 18 minutes. If the windspeed is constant all the way to ground (which wouldn't be the case) then they would be carried around 57 miles in that time.

That is very rough though, you would want to be flying much higher than that, terminal velocity would be faster at altitude, and windspeed would not hold constant all the way up. That's counteracted however by the fact that turbulence in the air means the droplets wouldn't fall straight down but would be buffeted around. I'd put the the distance for the pee to make groundfall at anywhere from 50-100 miles.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Yeah it definitely sounds like they are gonna try to package DACA with the RAISE act

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

So I've been seeing reports that the cave that North Korea uses for their nuke tests is at risk of collapsing. This would be pretty bad because it could release a lot of radiation into the air. Radiation that can travel over NK and potentially China.

Which would be ironic, since it's the Chinese that are basically NKs only lifeline at this point. They don't want to lift a finger to stop Kim's nuke program and now it looks like they might have to deal with it directly. Too bad it would just be the common folks that would get hurt by a radioactive cloud. But it's still something I doubt China wants to deal with.

In the end it wasn't guns or economics that won the war against the evil NKs. It was the humblest of God's creations, the atom bomb.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The west burns, the south drowns, and the north-east is...nice. Mid 70s all week - several degrees below the expected average at this time of the year.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mulva posted:

Tornados use the a similar scale that goes from F0 to F5 that is from F0 gale tornadoes with little damage to F5 incredible tornadoes with total destruction.

Then they have F6 which is an "Inconceivable tornado" and the official description is "These winds are very unlikely. The small area of damage they might produce would probably not be recognizable along with the mess produced by F4 and F5 wind that would surround the F6 winds. Missiles, such as cars and refrigerators would do serious secondary damage that could not be directly identified as F6 damage. If this level is ever achieved, evidence for it might only be found in some manner of ground swirl pattern, for it may never be identifiable through engineering studies
"

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

E2M2 posted:

Yeah it definitely sounds like they are gonna try to package DACA with the RAISE act

That is going to be a non-starter. The Democrats aren't going to give up anything for DACA. It's a Republican problem now. Why let them off the hook AND give them something else they want.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

TyrantWD posted:

The west burns, the south drowns, and the north-east is...nice. Mid 70s all week - several degrees below the expected average at this time of the year.

Well, probably just means Jose is heading this way.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Ah, here we go again

Biggest storm ever! No other country has storms like us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Someone write a short story about trump mishiring and leaving government positions open for all the conspiracy scifi/supernatural government departments. Like the reason he won't talk about tiffiny is that she is running the department of weather control and vampire relations but doing exactly as poorly as every other hire he's made or forgot to make.

• Locked thread