Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Ep 8

Holy poo poo two absolutely stunning matches there. Shayna v Mercedes really told a fantastic story of prodigious student overcoming the experienced master and god drat she still makes that choke look deadly, even better than Samoa Joe's clutch. Shayna is awesome in the ring and is definitely my second favorite in the event, and Mercedes played the confident veteran role perfectly with the dominant start and trash talk.

The commentary was also a lot better this time around, though still not great with JR focusing in on odd things and not being super enthused and Lita sounding pretty inexperienced. There was a really cool bit from JR and Lita with Lita saying as Mercedes, "I taught you everything you know in the ring" and JR following it up immediately with "but I didn't teach you everything I know" or something along those lines that really sold the premise of the match beautifully. The crowd definitely helped make up for the weakness and dead air on commentary. It was an intimate crowd that was majorly pumped up for the matches.

Shayna is definitely my second favorite, but my first definitely has to go to Kairi. God drat that woman can wrestle her rear end off. She makes all her moves look strong, and she does the exact same thing for her partner. That arm submission sell was one of the best I've seen in a while, to the point where I forgot that she wasn't actually in that much pain with how viciously Toni was making it look and how loud Kairi was screaming.
That crossbody out of the ring was nasty as hell and added a lot to the match because for the rest of the fight she was bloody and bruised while also selling the injured elbow that Toni was working on throughout the match. She looked absolutely beat to poo poo by the end.
They also had a really good logic to their actions with a slow start as they felt each other's style out and with Kairi aiming to wear down Toni's back while Toni tried to wear down Kairi's elbow, the linchpin in their respective finishers. When she finally landed Sailing the Seas it really felt like she earned it in a grueling fight.

Nothing in that episode would have felt out of place in a top tier PPV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

Dias posted:

Kairi is probably poised to challenge Asuka for the title, so you could do a champion x champion match if she wins the MYC.

The problem with that is that Asuka has already vacated her title or at least the title will be vacant by the time the MYC winner is made, plus with all indication Asuka will be on Raw sometime in October. Kairi, on the other hand, will probably stick around in NXT for a while. If there's ever a Kairi/Asuka match, it's a long time from now.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Auritech posted:

The problem with that is that Asuka has already vacated her title or at least the title will be vacant by the time the MYC winner is made, plus with all indication Asuka will be on Raw sometime in October. Kairi, on the other hand, will probably stick around in NXT for a while. If there's ever a Kairi/Asuka match, it's a long time from now.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that, derp.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Episode 5:
- The double kick spot in Rachel Evers vs Abbey Laith was so cool. Good energy in the match and no offense to Evers but Abbey was probably the right pick to move on.
- Serena Deeb vs Piper Niven is a match I don't really want either to lose, but I want Piper Niven to win more. The neckbreaker spot on Piper looked great and I love how Piper kept using her bulk to overpower Serena. The missed splash was cool but it didn't make sense that Piper splats and then is basically straight up hitting her finisher to get the win. Glad Piper won though, she's cool.
- I don't know who to choose between Princesa Sugehit and Mercedes Martinez. Good match but the ending was a little flat, and it was only after Mercedes won that I realized I really wanted Sugehit to.
- "There's nothing better than me. I am the best :effort:" says Bianca Belair, followed immediately by Kairi Sane just springing happily onto the screen with immediate charisma and personality. Kairi catching the kiss is loving incredible :vince: - Belair going heel is a great decision and that hair whip loving owns, I love how heated the crowd gets when she does it. This was a great choice as the main event and Bianca did a lot to look great in a losing effort. Kairi is just on another level though.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Sep 5, 2017

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

New champ will be winner of Lady Shani vs Faby Apache vs Big Mami vs La Hiedra vs Goya Kong

come on, big mami

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
so lets work on this timeline. I probably have all this wrong because AAA is unwatchable and their management is erratic at best.

AAA books Star in a singles title match against Shani for Triplemania. I'm not sure if the title was vacant, gifted to Star or she won it on a hotshot.
the booking gets changed to four way, including Rosemary because Jeff Jarrett is a goddamn idiot savant.
Sexy Star freaks out in the match, starts lighting people up.
Shani and the other chick(sorry other chick who's name I forgot) bail from the ring because they're tired of having to fight Star, leaving Rosemary alone.
Star cranks a nasty armbar on Rosemary(you could see her shoulder turn white, that's really bad)
Star has to be led to Rosemary's dressing room to apologize for her unprofessionalism by VAMPIRO of all people.

E:
note about armbars. Its a humerus fulcrum crank. Due to the range of motion in the human arm, there's a bunch of really delicate poo poo in that area. Short of just having an arm between your legs, its a loving dangerous hold.

coconono fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 5, 2017

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
uh, kairi hojo and bianca belair holy poo poo that was good.

lacey evans and toni storm is an extremely unbalanced matchup of bad gimmick v good gimmick. i love toni storms hair metal thing. i bet it makes dolph so mad that he cant pull it off like that.

poppin spoilers on cause i guess theyre first round spoilers too.

shiksa fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 5, 2017

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Ep. 8

Could they just not be bothered to reshoot 5 seconds of Mercedes' vignette, or was 'cummalation' the least terrible mispronunciation of 'culmination' they had to choose from? The mind boggles.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

oatgan posted:

i think a heel should win because faces won the last two special tournaments

TJP was supposed to be a face but he is so unlikeable that it was practically a heel win

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Someone needs to sit Piper Niven down with some tapes of of Aja Kong, Bull Nakano and Vader so she can learn how to properly carry herself as a monster wrestler.
Nothing she does has any real impact to it and everything just looks so tentative.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

MrBling posted:

Someone needs to sit Piper Niven down with some tapes of of Aja Kong, Bull Nakano and Vader so she can learn how to properly carry herself as a monster wrestler.
Nothing she does has any real impact to it and everything just looks so tentative.

e: brain failure

coconono fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 5, 2017

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

shiksa posted:

uh, kairi hojo and bianca belair holy poo poo that was good.

lacey evans and toni storm is an extremely unbalanced matchup of bad gimmick v good gimmick. i love toni storms hair metal thing. i bet it makes dolph so mad that he cant pull it off like that.

poppin spoilers on cause i guess theyre first round spoilers too.

Lacey inarguably has a terrible gimmick, but I thought Toni was trying way too hard as well.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I assume Toni wears that weird little hat because her normal look is too similar to what Nikki Bella wears?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
she looks like a female russell brand, i dunno i really like it haha.

the first round had a few rough matches, but ive really liked almost everything from round 2 on.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

oatgan posted:

i think a heel should win because faces won the last two special tournaments

the authors of pain winning the Dusty Classic was special, to me

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

MrBling posted:

I dunno what you saw, but Piper hitting those cross bodies constantly look like they'd kill people. It was awesome. I think she did a great job of being a monster. It's just that since she's a face, she didn't feel menacing like Gabby did.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Second round was so much better than the first.

Episode 5

Kairi Sane is such a star that it is ridiculous. Catching the kiss was almost as good as Nakamura eating a bullet. That said, Jesus Christ, Bianca Belair. If this is her after a year, she's going to be a big deal quickly. There's still a few edges to smooth over like transitions but she can seemingly do anything she wants physically and she already knows how to fit her character nicely into a match. That 450 wasn't smooth as hell and in it hard it on the near fall.

Abby Laith and a Rachel Evers had a solid match, but I don't see Abby surviving past the quarterfinals.

Unless Mercedes Martinez has a better match in the quarters, I can't see her getting signed off of this tourney. Her match with Sugehit was pretty unmarkable and the finish felt like they just went, "Ok, it's time to end now." Disappointing because I know she is good.

Piper/Serena was a good David vs Goliath match but I feel like Serena should have hit one spear then got caught on the second attempt after Piper wouldn't go down. As it was, the splash whiff felt like a non-factor.

Episode 6

Easily the best episode of the series so far. Not a bad match in the bunch. Toni Storm can really hold a crowd and she was a good person to give Lacey Evans the best match she's likely had thus far. Evans had some cool moves but she's at the point where she just needs to work with more experienced women to bring it all together.

Shayna/Mia was awesome because Shayna makes everything feel like a dirty fight. Hell of a tope suicide from Mia. I hope she gets signed. That flying knee counter could have easily been the finish and the RNC counter was just the cherry on top.

I thought I was all aboard the Rhea Ripley train but it turns out that I want Dakota Kai to be my best friend and also to kick every person in the world. Dakota is so drat good at playing the plucky underdog (helps that both of her opponents have been 6+ feet tall). Short of Aleister Black and Hideo Itami when he lets loose, she might have the best kicks in WWE. She did an awesome twisting deal to break the counter stalemate that really went unnoticed by the announcers (big shock) and that face wash was loving brutal. Her match with Kairi is fixing to be the tiniest women just brutalizing each other and I'm so ready.

Candice/Nicole Savoy was decent, but the entire story of the match was me wondering when Candice's body would finally recognize that she was clinically dead from the backdrop driver. Turns out you can hit your finisher from beyond the grave even when it isn't the tombstone :shrug:

JR and Lita still suck

Charles Gnarwin fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 6, 2017

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Charles Gnarwin posted:

JR and Lita still suck

Actually, JR is goo-
https://twitter.com/JRsBBQ/status/905229178882187265

gently caress sake Jim :eng99:

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.
Some (mostly spoiler-free) thoughts from having been there live and now watching it back:

- Rachel Evers translates much better live than she did during her televised matches. She has a ton of energy and it really lifted the crowd to the point where I didn't really notice how mediocre her match was
- Piper Nevin is great. She was really mediocre during her Shimmer debut, but I hadn't seen anything else of hers and I'd kept hearing how great she was, so I didn't "get it" until now.
- A little sad that the Jazzy/Abbey match didn't come off as well on tape either. The crowd was super low energy, but when Abbey fired up the crowd really woke up, and as sloppy as that match was at times, it was a lot of fun. Jazzy got an even bigger reaction during a tag match on the second day, leading to huge "Please sign Jazzy" chants during and after the match. Triple H came out for a promo during this and shamed the crowd for making him spend so much money signing cruiserweights.
- I came in as a huge Dakota Kai fan, and I think she got a good chance to show off what she can do in the tournament, especially in the Rhea Ripley match. She did what she could with Kavita Devi. I hate giving her the Coup des Gras as a finish, especially as there's no way she keeps it as long as Finn is doing it. I don't like the TTYL either (basically a GTS into a kick), but she's got a cool backbreaker that would be better.
- Kay Lee Ray is good and kind of got hosed having to limit her offence against Sugehit. Also, I'd never seen her work heel before and it didn't really work.
- I liked Shayna a lot going into the show, but her style doesn't really transfer over to a televised product very well. I think if she was given the right people to work with and TV presentation as this MMA killer, she could get over in WWE though. I'm more interested in seeing her against any of the WWE Horsewomen than Rhonda.
- Candice was really good. ]They shot a little longer angle of Johnny helping her up and out of the ring, but didn't put it on the episode.
- Nicole Savoy was clearly still testing her knee during her first match, and it's really too bad. She was great before she got hurt and hopefully after she shakes out the cobwebs she can get right back to it.
- The world doesn't deserve Toni Storm or Kairi Sane. I thought the pirate stuff was pretty dumb when I was there, but it's grown on me a lot since then. Her theme is great.
- I love JR, but just like when he did the New Japan shows, you could tell he was just given a bullet point list of "interesting" things about each competitor and figured he would wing the rest, but then he never came up with anything interesting to say and neither did Lita.
- I wasn't a big fan of how many spots went to people who were clearly having one of their first matches in the tournament, but I'd like to see more of Taynara Conti and Xia Li after they've had some more time in the performance center.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Episode 7

Laith/Martinez was alright. I don't think either of them had any standout moments from the first three rounds.

Baszler/LeRae was a great sprint that made Candice look great even though she got caught. JR and Lita missing the call on the Gargano Escape was unforgivable especially since they did redubs, but their whole MO seems to be just ignoring emotion to read the couple of bullet points

Storm/Niven ruled. The bridge spots were super fun and they did just enough that it didn't feel ridiculous. That german was hellacious. Also, I just want to say that the worst part of Toni not being signed is that we won't get to hear her sweet Tokyo Blade-esque music once the tournament is over.

Kairi/Dakota ruled even harder. It was just as I hoped – two tiny people beating each other up. It's obvious in this tournament who has Japanese experience because they really lay those strikes in.

I love how the brackets ended up being a mean, tough badass side and a Stardom side.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Episode 8

Holy poo poo that was the Mercedes Martinez I was waiting for the entire tournament. Beating the hell out of the most dominant wrestler in the tournament made her look so badass. Triple H giving roses to Shayna Baser is the weirdest goddamn thing I could have thought of.

Big shock, Kairi Sane and Toni Storm had the best match of the tournament. The ramp imprint on Kairi's face was gross. I really hope they don't give Shayna the tournament just because they want to have Ronda in the ring celebrating. Kairi has clearly made friends with the trophy and it needs to go home with her.

Somebody please sit Lita and JR down with a CAW function and make the learn the name of a couple moves before next week. Also, if the dude in the front row wearing an Izzymania shirt isn't related to her, he should be put on a loving list.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
At the very least throw Nigel or Corey in the booth with them on Tuesday.

Assuming they do sign 3 or 4 girls that they didn't already have, I'm guessing Shayna, Piper, Candice and Mia are the most likely. Toni Storm would seem like a shoo-in, but I think she's the Ibushi of this group.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 6, 2017

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

shiksa posted:

she looks like a female russell brand, i dunno i really like it haha.
Being a female Russell Brand is precisely why I can't get fully on board with her. Russell Brand is an atrocity, and we already had Adam Rose. I like her wrestling, but two matches in and I'm tired of the gimmick. It's like if Kairi worked some Johnny Depp into her pirate schtick, and then also kept going back to it mid-match.

dsriggs posted:

Actually, JR is goo-
https://twitter.com/JRsBBQ/status/905229178882187265

gently caress sake Jim :eng99:
Well, he always has been a big supporter of Asian women, for reasons I think we all now know.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I have no idea how the WWE deal with the UK dudes work, but if they wanna sign some girls for that division, KLR, Toni, and Viper/Piper are must signs.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Honestly didn't care that much for the first round so I skipped a bunch of that. Second round was really really good. I really want the WWE to not gently caress this up.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Put something that concerns me about the finals in spoilers:

Am I the only one who thinks WWE is going to feed Kairi to Shayna, just to continue setting up this lovely 4HW vs 4HW angle? It seems blatantly obvious, and would taint the tournament for me, if this was all just to set up this angle that I personally have zero investment in. This would also completely kill Kairi's momentum and I don't think she could recover from it, since I don't trust WWE's booking team (even in NXT) to rehab someone successfully.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

DarkstarIV posted:

Am I the only one who thinks WWE is going to feed Kairi to Shayna, just to continue setting up this lovely 4HW vs 4HW angle? It seems blatantly obvious, and would taint the tournament for me, if this was all just to set up this angle that I personally have zero investment in. This would also completely kill Kairi's momentum and I don't think she could recover from it, since I don't trust WWE's booking team (even in NXT) to rehab someone successfully.

sadly, that's exactly how I see it going. They probably should have been less concerned about making 3/4 of their horsewomen look like stupid idiots who keep losing to Alexa Bliss because they're stupid idiots if they wanted to go that direction though

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

DarkstarIV posted:

It would be terrible booking to put over the person on their way to one gimmick match over the person who you really need to carry the torch for the NXT women, especially with Asuka leaving and putting no one over in the process. But they may very well see that the wrestlemania rousey match is so money that nothing else matters. It would a bitter pill as they have worked hard the past year to recover the division from all the departures, and now getting an influx of talent, but it needs that MYC champ to come in and add legitimacy to the top.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

DM Punk posted:

I dunno what you saw, but Piper hitting those cross bodies constantly look like they'd kill people. It was awesome. I think she did a great job of being a monster. It's just that since she's a face, she didn't feel menacing like Gabby did.

Her striking just looked slow and soft.
Yes, the splashes works but that is mainly a function of gravity.
I want to like her, but she doesn't come off as being as strong as she should.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I've only watched the first round so far (kinda marathoning in hopes of catching up) but Piper v Garrett was the standout of Round One for me. Though yeah, Rhea Ripley was also very very striking.

It's odd, though, I've gotten used to wrestling matches having that regular slam of bodies hitting the mat, and with the women being generally smaller than the average WWE guys the matches are a bit quieter. (And it did seem like there are maybe fewer bumps on average. Though I do like that this division is apparently dedicated to bringing back wrist holds as a thing.)

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
Putting Shayna over Kairi in the finals, just to push a feud no one cares about anymore (Rousey was soundly trounced in her last two fights, the WWE 4HW booking has been progressively terrible) would go over like a fart in church.. Something that would be over with Vince, now that I think about it..

They could have kept Shayna looking super-strong by overturning the decision vs Larae, disqualifying her for refusing to release the hold. Then we could have a very cool Mercedes/Sane final and WWE not fretting over their precious two-years-too-late angle with Rousey.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My tags are failing. Agh.

I don't hate the idea of the 4 Horsewomen Showdown as much as most people here though. I think that'd be fun as hell. Kairi should still win, though.

Oh and Kairi seems so goddamn sweet. If there are any stories of her being anything other than :3: incarnate no one tell me please.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Sep 6, 2017

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I don't hate the idea of the 4 Horsewomen Showdown as much as most people here though. I think that'd be fun as hell. Kairi should still win, though.

My thoughts exactly. I'm perfectly fine with a 4HW match, just don't do it at Kairi's expense.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

i think it's more likely Shayna gets somehow distracted and Kairi wins. The Horsewoman thing is going to require Shayna on the main shows, so it makes more sense to have Kairi win in a way that furthers the Horsewomen storyline.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

It's definitely correct that everyone in this tournament except the winner can never recover and that wwe should just go ahead and fire them now because they'll never amount to anything

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Eltoasto posted:

It would be terrible booking

wwe.txt

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

oatgan posted:

It's definitely correct that everyone in this tournament except the winner can never recover and that wwe should just go ahead and fire them now because they'll never amount to anything

the losers are queued up to be catapulted into the gulf of mexico.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

oatgan posted:

Yeah, this sentiment unironically going on in MYC discussions is really annoying. Regardless of who wins the whole thing, the other 31 women can still get over and get pushes and win titles. They aren't dead unless WWE wants them to be dead.

Please remember TJP won the CWC last year. It meant nothing.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Vaguido posted:

Yeah, this sentiment unironically going on in MYC discussions is really annoying. Regardless of who wins the whole thing, the other 31 women can still get over and get pushes and win titles. They aren't dead unless WWE wants them to be dead.

Please remember TJP won the CWC last year. It meant nothing.

You'd have a good point if any of the other 31 guys in the CWC did anything of note in WWE but the only people from that doing anything of note are the two guys who ran off to Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So who is signed out of all the women in the tournament? I saw a lot of new faces I really liked but fear this will be the last of them in WWE. Found myself really liking Dakota Kai and Abbey Laith. Toni Storm was great, but for some reason people are saying she will never sign. Bianca Belair was a surprise favorite, so thankfully she sticks around.

Match of the whole tournament for me goes to (round 2 spoiler) Sane/Belair. The hair whip is amazing, and that 450 had me on the edge of my seat thinking Sane wasn't going to advance. Beyond that, everything felt a bit predictable which makes it hard for me to really get into it. Shayna was the clear favorite from her side of the bracket, and I found all her matches as horrible except for the one against Candice.