Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CommieGIR posted:

"This too can be solved by a wall!" - Trump

Actually a massive wall along the Atlantic coast would be way more useful than Trump's stupid border wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I don't even understand trying so hard to downplay the danger, let alone making poo poo up about mountains and using garbage comparisons. What even is the point of that? Make people even more shocked if it erases Miami Beach and scours all the barrier islands clean up to Daytona?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

you know who else built an atlantic wall, etc

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

FAUXTON posted:

I don't even understand trying so hard to downplay the danger, let alone making poo poo up about mountains and using garbage comparisons. What even is the point of that? Make people even more shocked if it erases Miami Beach and scours all the barrier islands clean up to Daytona?

liberals, dawg

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Don't worry, we got known smart person Rush Limbaugh to explain Irma to us

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2017/09/05/my-analysis-of-the-hurricane-irma-panic/

Rush Limbaugh is the "go to tech guy at home and here on the staff". Sure, guy. Godamn I hate pundits.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Terrible Robot posted:

Maybe Irma will kill Limbaugh :unsmith:

Pit stop before righteously turbo loving Maralago into a permanemt, swampy (for the irony) hole in the ground. Sorry in advance to everyone that lives there but, well, take one for the team, k?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

Genocide tendencies are easier to fulfill when you get people to cooperate

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

liberals, dawg

But there's "don't panic so early" realism and then there's "oh the mountains will knock it down to a cat 2 easy peasy" poo poo that tends to get people killed.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Terrible Robot posted:

Maybe Irma will kill Limbaugh :unsmith:

Not to say it would be a good thing if this somehow ends up with feral dogs chewing on Limbaugh's drowned, bloated corpse, but it would certainly help take some of the sting off a lovely situation.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfAeMtcURg0

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Not to say it would be a good thing if this somehow ends up with feral dogs chewing on Limbaugh's drowned, bloated corpse, but it would certainly help take some of the sting off a lovely situation.

I'm not sure feral dogs should be eating something that toxic.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

What are you going to do after the weekend though?

go fishin in my parents backyard probably

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

you know who else built an atlantic wall, etc

did not have an immigration problem.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Waroduce posted:

go fishin in my parents backyard probably

I'd recommend surface poppers. The fish are gonna be engorged with human flesh so something that annoys them into biting may be the secret here. Also low visibility may be an issue.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

I'd guess its frustration with the fact that coverage of natural disasters these days resembles the color commentary on Death Race. "Oh boy, here comes Hurricane Irma! She looks set to break all sorts of windspeed and barometric pressures! Here's a lurid visualization of the worst case scenario for where it might make landfall! Speculation galore! How many will die or lose their homes?"

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

drove around trying to find gas for a while. least busy place in the middle of normandy isle between shorecrest club and indian creek dr

water for me and dog. gf has 4 gallons elsewhere

dog tax

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

On the contrary, that wall did nothing to stop a horde of foriegners from ilegally entering. Some of them stole the women and made anchor babies too.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

MRC48B posted:

On the contrary, that wall did nothing to stop a horde of foriegners from ilegally entering. Some of them stole the women and made anchor babies too.

Uh sorry but food for sex is not stealing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Depends on the quality.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

M_Gargantua posted:

Has anybody seen Shim recently or did he die of pot coma?

I'm on a weird sleep schedule. Right now is my morning.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'd guess its frustration with the fact that coverage of natural disasters these days resembles the color commentary on Death Race. "Oh boy, here comes Hurricane Irma! She looks set to break all sorts of windspeed and barometric pressures! Here's a lurid visualization of the worst case scenario for where it might make landfall! Speculation galore! How many will die or lose their homes?"

this is true of everything everywhere in the modern news cycle though? I guess its just most egregious with weather but still

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I'm on a weird sleep schedule. Right now is my morning.

Well the sun is always up no matter the hour when you're in space

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dead Reckoning posted:

That still doesn't explain the mountains thing, and it sure as hell doesn't line up with the drumbeat of "THIS IS DANGEROUS AND YOU SHOULD BE MAKING PLANS, HERE IS WHERE YOU CAN GO FOR INFORMATION *website like the NHC or ready.gov etc* PLEASE DONT RISK YOUR LIFE" from every corner including cable news. They stopped loving around after Katrina, and at worst you've got the likes of Shep Smith threatening viewers' families.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I literally just saw a tv meterologist on CNN maybe 20 minutes or more ago mention mountains possibly disrupting it, but it would immediately restrengthen once it went over the water again.

Are they reading the CE thread too? Who's the CNN guy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
100mph+ winds in Barbuda right now with gusts over 132.

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/stationhome.html?id=9761115

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 6, 2017

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I watched the forecast on CNN today while at work and the obviously terrified weatherman mentioned that the eye was 32 miles in diameter :stare:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Waroduce posted:

drove around trying to find gas for a while. least busy place in the middle of normandy isle between shorecrest club and indian creek dr

water for me and dog. gf has 4 gallons elsewhere

dog tax

Facebook posts from friends in the area are showing the same thing. One of my classmates is chief engineer on a tanker loading in LA and heading to port ev so you are probably much better off than him.

I really hope you plan to up your supply though, how you are going to get through tomorrow with only 2 bottles of wine is stressing me out. Stay safe bro.

10 gallons for 2 people and a dog is like 10-15 days of water if you stretch right? I forgot my lifeboatmans rules.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 6, 2017

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Minimum 1 gallon per person per day. Doing a half gallon of water is gonna quickly dehydrate you if you're eating salty foods.

It's not an affiliate link, just stock up on 55 gallon drums of water. A few of those and you and your family are set. poo poo, anything is better than nothing. Amazon sells stackable 5 gallon water containers that weigh only 40lbs each when filled. Make sure to put either water preserver or unscented bleach in it before you close the lid, especially if your water quality is spotty in your area. (Blog post on storing tap water http://www.superprepper.com/water-storage/storing-tap-water/).

You should have, at a minimum, a go bag with 3 days worth of water and food, as well as 2 weeks worth of water and food stored in your house. Eat what you store and store what you eat. Also factor in cooking water (If you have pasta, rice, or freeze dried or dehydrated food) and body hygiene water when you're figuring how much to store. Figure around 1 gallon per day for drinking and 1 gallon for food prep and body hygiene.

Storing extra stuff in your car is also a good idea. Maybe some protein bars and a case of bottled water along with a car kit.

A good store to buy poo poo:
https://www.thereadystore.com/water-storage/water-storage-containers

Clorox's chart for how many drops of bleach per gallon of water to purify:
https://www.clorox.com/dr-laundry/disaster-preparedness-purifying-water/

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Aung San Suu Kyi again says all this talk about ethnic cleansing of the Rohingya is lies Y'know, despite 100k of them fleeing to Bangladesh in recent days. Boy I sure do miss the old days when all those celebrities were falling all over themselves to gush about what a selfless hero she is.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

All those years of peace and love martyrdom and she's just as lovely as the military junta she replaced. On a scale from 1-10, how irrelevant is the Nobel Peace Price these days?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

We deserve ALL the fires, hurricanes, nukes, and mexicans.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Nuclear Tourist posted:

All those years of peace and love martyrdom and she's just as lovely as the military junta she replaced. On a scale from 1-10, how irrelevant is the Nobel Peace Price these days?

Nuclear Tourist posted:

On a scale from 1-10, how irrelevant is the Nobel Peace Price these days?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Casimir Radon posted:

Aung San Suu Kyi again says all this talk about ethnic cleansing of the Rohingya is lies Y'know, despite 100k of them fleeing to Bangladesh in recent days. Boy I sure do miss the old days when all those celebrities were falling all over themselves to gush about what a selfless hero she is.

this has been happening for like a decade now

edit: RIP florida goons, live feeds of where the hurricane is (if you can see anything yet)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG-GpHPkBoM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQue2IVKQy0

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Sep 6, 2017

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I watched the forecast on CNN today while at work and the obviously terrified weatherman mentioned that the eye was 32 miles in diameter :stare:

It was 25 nm across when I flew through yesterday. That's not unusual, they will actually get a bit smaller than that. The eye wall was like 40 miles of pure hate and misery on all sides. The older guys said the only other one they remember being that bad from a flying through it perspective was Patricia a few years ago.

Also, yes, a hurricane can get chewed up on mountains - Matthew did it last year and went from a 4 to a 2 IIRC. The difference being it was a direct hit on Hispaniola and Cuba, not a near pass like they were predicting. It looks like the models are pushing it east, but if it brushed past Cuba and got into the gulf, it'd blow up again. There are warm water eddies that are like jet fuel for these all of the gulf.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
http://www.cnn.com/specials/live-video-1

Starting to pick up from this camera.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/ABC7News/status/905104690551152642

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/905400936323043328

Another edit: another part of Myanmar situation

https://twitter.com/HenryKrinkIe/status/905402598005624832

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 6, 2017

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

please stay away from CT irma

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Don't you dare touch Roscoe, Irma.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I'm 200 miles inland almost directly west of D.C.

Monty gets real nervous when it storms out.

Maybe I'll get him a thunder vest today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I'm 200 miles inland almost directly west of D.C.

Monty gets real nervous when it storms out.

Maybe I'll get him a thunder vest today.

I guess they help a lot of dogs, but my mom's Shibu mutt doesn't care about it either way. She's actually got something like doggy prozac. Half a pill gets her through fireworks and whatever else, a full pill and she's hosed up the following morning too.

• Locked thread