Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I once bought my bro's coin box, where he put all his small change, for 20 bux and after counting there were 30 bux in it :smug:

Joke's on me though because that was years ago and now I still have all those useless Euro Cent coins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The point I was making is that at a place like Walmart or Target or really any big retail chain, they'd probably just fire you if you refused to serve a customer. I had a paranoid racist weirdo chew me out for reading her phone number back to her to confirm that I had it right. There was a black woman waiting behind her and weirdo kept glancing back and inching away.

Yeah, I'm sure she's gonna steal your identity with your fuckin' phone number, you goddamn nut. You can't even ask a customer like that to leave even when they are visibly making other customers uncomfortable.

Yeah, but if your boss tried to fire you for something like that the union would have their head on a pi- oh wait, it's the US, never mind

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Yeah, but if your boss tried to fire you for something like that the union would have their head on a pi- oh wait, it's the US, never mind

Yeah, among the training videos that big corporate retail stores make new hires watch is an insultingly stupid piece of anti-union propaganda that goes on and on about how the company (in my case, Staples) takes such good care of its employees that you don't need a union and you can always talk directly to your boss(es) if you have an issue, featuring paid actors "actual Staples employees" talking about how great the company is and how a union is just a business that wants your hard-earned money and if anyone tries to talk you into organizing you should beware because your corporate masters have your best interests in mind and unions bad communism bad rabble rabble American work culture never escaped the Red Scare.

Plus the Required By Federal Labor Laws disclaimer that you have the right to organize and what you are and are not allowed to do related to unionization during work hours, with the heavily implied overtones that you can be summarily fired if you even think too hard about unionizing, because the corporate culture encourages a 1984-style suspicion of one's colleagues and you should rat out the dirty unionizers before they cost Big Brother more money.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

https://youtu.be/-gbEKy7eJak

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The point I was making is that at a place like Walmart or Target or really any big retail chain, they'd probably just fire you if you refused to serve a customer. I had a paranoid racist weirdo chew me out for reading her phone number back to her to confirm that I had it right. There was a black woman waiting behind her and weirdo kept glancing back and inching away.

Yeah, I'm sure she's gonna steal your identity with your fuckin' phone number, you goddamn nut. You can't even ask a customer like that to leave even when they are visibly making other customers uncomfortable.

Reminds me of Mr Mercedes with the boss who has a savior complex and keeps saying customer service is above all and doesn't care if a customer tries to murder you, the customer is always right no matter what!

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Haifisch posted:

Hell, we can't even get momentum to get rid of the completely useless penny.

We're a really stubborn nation.

And don't even get started on the repeated attempts to introduce a dollar coin.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Jurgan posted:

And don't even get started on the repeated attempts to introduce a dollar coin.

But paper isn't as heavy so I can carry more cheddar with paper, and it makes my wallet fatter so I can impress the ladies

fake edit: I don't impress ladies least of all my wife

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jesus caries it's not that hard just make the coins out of paper :rolleyes:

(I really hope I posted the right thing. I don't actually read Russian.)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Jesus caries it's not that hard just make the coins out of paper :rolleyes:

(I really hope I posted the right thing. I don't actually read Russian.)

These are postage stamps that are also money.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Because if you do, you won't be empowered.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/zpuyqq/upright-citizens-brigade-rear end-pennies

(Seriously, nowadays, if a store clerk gives me pennies, I tell them to keep them. My little local convenience store, if the owner is working, will just cover any penny change I owe him since I do it so often.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Paladinus posted:

These are postage stamps that are also money.

OK but the Russia also had postage-stamp-looking stamps that were money and not legally usable as postage. Of course because Russia has a lot of Russians in it, everyone used them as postage stamps anyway. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Russians but they do like to do whatever they are told not to do. Which is not a bad thing considering that the people telling Russians what to do are, by and large, mostly Russians.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

We could honestly probably do with getting rid of the nickel as well. Last time a coin was phased out in the US was the half penny in 1857, which would have a present day inflation-adjusted value of 13 cents. We're dumb and stubborn.

Japan is also dumb and stubborn because why the gently caress are there still useless 1 yen coins

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

ReidRansom posted:

Japan is also dumb and stubborn because why the gently caress are there still useless 1 yen coins

So the crap enemies have something to drop in Persona games :colbert:

You got ¥13! Wooooow. Thanks. Useful.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

TheKennedys posted:

So the crap enemies have something to drop in Persona games :colbert:

You got ¥13! Wooooow. Thanks. Useful.

persona 6 will feature having to take your lovely tiny almost valueless coins to the bank so you can use them in a shop without the staff giving you stinkeye

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I found out that apparently Canada has so many different commemorative versions of quarters and toonies and poo poo because the Mint makes a decent profit off collectors buying them directly. I thought it was sorta dumb before but hey if we're making a profit just by minting coins, rock on :toot:

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Len posted:

The pro move would have been to make them eat the delicious pennies

Fixed.

Ulthar
Aug 14, 2007

My parents are deeaaaaaaad!!!

As I swallowed the last of the coins the whole store started applauding.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Danaru posted:

I found out that apparently Canada has so many different commemorative versions of quarters and toonies and poo poo because the Mint makes a decent profit off collectors buying them directly. I thought it was sorta dumb before but hey if we're making a profit just by minting coins, rock on :toot:

I imagine the US Mint turned a profit on the state quarters. I remember lots of people getting rolls of them.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Bobby Digital posted:

I imagine the US Mint turned a profit on the state quarters. I remember lots of people getting rolls of them.

Every time I go to the post office (so like...every six months) there's a new display from the Canadian Mint with the latest coins commemorating whatever. You can buy them in a case for inflated values, or if you wait long enough one will turn up as change somewhere.

Best coin was the $1 000 000 coin they made in 2007. 100kg of 99.999% pure gold, legal tender. Why> "Because we can."

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Bobby Digital posted:

I believe a lot of that was people using credit cards to buy like $1000 worth of quarters, then taking them to the bank, depositing them, and paying the credit card off to get reward points.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think I dated the weirdest dude on Earth

We met at a tech event, but this was really weird.

Oooookay, so he is not single. Good, time to move on.

So, now I marked this date in the calendar, waiting to hear WTF is going on. At this point, I am more curious than pissed off.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I think I dated the weirdest dude on Earth

We met at a tech event, but this was really weird.

Oooookay, so he is not single. Good, time to move on.

So, now I marked this date in the calendar, waiting to hear WTF is going on. At this point, I am more curious than pissed off.

Is this dating as a metaphor for getting hired at a job?

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

I don't know, coming from a country where cash is only received as birthday presents from grandmothers and spent criminally, the constant game of trying to make exact change at convenience stores to get rid of the 1 and 5 yen coins the vending machines won't eat was strangely pleasurable to me.

Fun fact: the 1 yen coin is actually light enough that it'll float in water.

Of course, this isn't true, but it's light enough that if you tell your friends this it seems plausible enough that they'll throw one in their drink and then feel very stupid.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

EKDS5k posted:

Every time I go to the post office (so like...every six months) there's a new display from the Canadian Mint with the latest coins commemorating whatever. You can buy them in a case for inflated values, or if you wait long enough one will turn up as change somewhere.

Best coin was the $1 000 000 coin they made in 2007. 100kg of 99.999% pure gold, legal tender. Why> "Because we can."

100kg of gold today is about 5,250,000 CAD. Would have been a pretty good investment.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

evobatman posted:

100kg of gold today is about 5,250,000 CAD. Would have been a pretty good investment.

That's what these people thought, too.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

No Business Being In Business
Pizza Place | Kansas City, OH, USA | Working | May 21, 2013

(My husband and I decide to order pizza from a place which going out of business. I walk in with my infant son in his carseat. Although there are four girls at the counter, not one pays attention to me for a good ten minutes. Finally, I speak up.)

Me: “Excuse me.”

Girl #1: “Ugh, what?! Can’t you see I’m talking?”

Me: “Uh, I’m here to pick up a pizza.”

Girl #2: “That’s, like, not our job.”

Me: “Well, can you get the person who’s job it is?”

Girl #2: “Fine! Gawd!”

(She storms off to the back, while her friends roll their eyes at me. My son starts to get fussy, so I reach down to play with him. I have a very large tattoo across my shoulders, memorializing my parents who died in a car crash.)

Girl #1: “Do you see that piece of s*** on her back?!”

Girl #3: “Oh my god.”

Girl #4: “Ha! No wonder she’s so rude. She’s a f***ing goth!”

Me: “Who the f*** do you think you are, little girl.”

Girl #4: “You can’t talk to me, li—”

Me: “The h*** I can’t! You and your friends have been nothing but rude since I got here! And I—”

(A large man appears. His name tag says manager.)

Manager: “Ma’am you can’t talk to my employees like that.”

Me: “Excuse me?”

Manager: “These girls are the best employees I’ve ever had.”

Me: “If they are, no wonder this place is closing. I will be taking my business elsewhere.”

Manager: “YOU NEED TO PAY FOR THE FOOD!”

(I leave anyway. The store closed not long after that, and guess which four girls decided to apply at my restaurant? I may have been rude, but those girls should never work in food service!)

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Joke's on the writer for being willing to wait for ten minutes with no one acknowledging her and then also insinuating that food theft is fine

I mean this didn't happen but lol

The General
Mar 4, 2007

life is killing me posted:

Joke's on the writer for being willing to wait for ten minutes with no one acknowledging her and then also insinuating that food theft is fine

I mean this didn't happen but lol

I got the impression they left the pizza and the manager was all "Woah, you we made you a pizza, pay for it."

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Customers sometimes like to stand in the middle of the room refusing to make eye contact with staff or get in line for service then yell angrily because no one is taking their order. I don't know why. I guess it's fun.

I'm pretty sure this has got to be a troll for the combination of refusing to get in the line/approach the counter + shrieking baby + car seat (what? I mean okay bringing a big-rear end four-wheel-drive suburban mom pram into a cramped shop is annoying but understandable, why would you bring the baby car seat in?) + WHO THE gently caress DO YOU THINK YOU ARE LITTLE GIRL + straight up stealing food + MY PARENTS ARE DEAD + because they were jerks about my dead parents they went out of business.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Customers sometimes like to stand in the middle of the room refusing to make eye contact with staff or get in line for service then yell angrily because no one is taking their order. I don't know why. I guess it's fun.

I'm pretty sure this has got to be a troll for the combination of refusing to get in the line/approach the counter + shrieking baby + car seat (what? I mean okay bringing a big-rear end four-wheel-drive suburban mom pram into a cramped shop is annoying but understandable, why would you bring the baby car seat in?) + WHO THE gently caress DO YOU THINK YOU ARE LITTLE GIRL + straight up stealing food + MY PARENTS ARE DEAD + because they were jerks about my dead parents they went out of business.

Some car seats are removable. That's not the STDH

Gaybee
Jul 16, 2002
The baby's name? Albert Einstein.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
You fools, she's obviously Batman

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
She did not steal the food. She was taking her business elsewhere. She left with nothing, no food. The manager was being portrayed as a bigger rear end in a top hat by insisting she pay and take her loving food with her whether she wanted it or not because, by god, he'd made it.
That better fits the narrative.
Also, it didn't happen.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

quote:

So, I used to work at a TV Provider many years ago. Christmas time was the worst because Customers would call in complaining that they cannot pay their TV bill because of course, "IT IS TAKING CHRISTMAS AWAY FROM MY CHILD!!!" and how could I be such a mean and uncaring evil person?

Thing is, when every third call is like this, I stopped caring two days after Halloween.

One of these parents call in on a late December day, wanting to know why they not only had to pay their $145 bill this Christmas season, but why we expected them to pay for the seven Pay Per View Adult Movies as well (All starting at $13.99). The upset Mother is yelling at me when I hear this "Lisa!!! You get over here. You (referring to myself) I want you to tell my daughter why she isn't getting a loving Christmas this year. Go on, TELL HER!"

So I get this girl on the phone who sighs as Mother Dearest walks into the other room. "Hey, let me guess you want to tell me something."

Me: "Yeah, I hate to tell you this, but your Mother has overspent herself and you probably aren't going to get anything for Christmas."

Child: "Yeah, Mom hardly ever pays the bills. Sorry, you aren't the first person she has put me on the phone with this year. But, you are the first one who hasn't bullshitted me. So, thanks."

Me: "Well Lisa, just don't let these things define who you become in life. The only one who can stop you is yourself. Not me or even you Mother."

Child: "Thanks. Mom is coming back. Don't worry, I get Christmas with my neighbors. I'm Good."

Mother: "So, now are you going to cancel my bill?" Apparently she had been getting her service credited using this tactic.

Me: "Nope, you still owe us a minimum o $150 before we can re-instate your account."

Mother: "YOU'RE HEARTLESS!!! TAKING CHRISTMAS AWAY FROM MY LITTLE ANGEL!!!" and she slammed the phone down.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
And then they got fired for wasting too much time on the phone dispensing words of wisdom to small children.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Haifisch posted:

And then they got fired for wasting too much time on the phone dispensing words of wisdom to small children.

Nah, you'd be surprised how quick non-existent phone calls are!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

This is the :3:-est STDH I've ever seen and I am totally okay with it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The second lieutenant who lead our platoon in NCO school was notorious for liking his own voice and held hell of long speeches whenever there was an audience. At our graduation party when he got up I could see even his superiors sighing. After he was about five minutes in he paused just for a moment to catch his breath which is when everyone started clapping so he had to stop.

True story of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

The second lieutenant who lead our platoon in NCO school was notorious for liking his own voice and held hell of long speeches whenever there was an audience. At our graduation party when he got up I could see even his superiors sighing. After he was about five minutes in he paused just for a moment to catch his breath which is when everyone started clapping so he had to stop.

True story of course.

How many medals did he get for leading his illustrious S1 platoon in loving up more awards and giving the awards to his paperwork bitches for not loving up routine pay inquiries?