Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homullus
Mar 27, 2009

David Lynch would be an inspired choice if he could somehow triangulate Dune, The Straight Story, and Mulholland Drive in the same movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

This musical chairs of directors is gonna make for a really incoherent series going forward, I really wish they'd figured out a way to lock in a decent director for at least a complete trilogy. It's the kind of thing that may not show itself right away but when we look back at the 3 or 5 or 8 or 100 Star Wars movies from this era I think the dissonance will be very noticeable.

Marvel has a bullpen of directors and its worked out for them. Doesn't mean it's the highest quality but its still cohesive.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/ta_shepard/status/905192628643217408

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just gonna throw one out there that hasn't been mentioned, especially if they're looking for a new writer too: Christopher McQuarrie

Dude knows how to direct a critically and financially successful existing action packed franchise, his writing credits include some great films, and he already reportedly worked on Rogue One.

The last two Mission Impossible films have been fun as hell, id take Bird or McQuarrie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Featuring a Tom Cruise cameo as a Hutt.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The MSJ posted:

Featuring a Tom Cruise cameo as a Hutt.

Sneaking Tom Cruise in as Dengar or something would be great. Actually, just make a Tom-Cruise-as-Dengar standalone Star War.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

This musical chairs of directors is gonna make for a really incoherent series going forward

Not incoherent, just homogenous. Everything will be a nice, balanced, uninteresting four quadrant blockbuster with nothing to say and no significant thematic, character, or emotional throughlines, but lots of cute marketable moments. That's what happens when you rush the script, rewrite it on the fly during shooting, then rewrite it again for reshoots with no single directorial vision or authorial voice. Seems to pretty much be what Lucasfilm is going for with these.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

feedmyleg posted:

Not incoherent, just homogenous. Everything will be a nice, balanced, uninteresting four quadrant blockbuster with nothing to say and no significant thematic, character, or emotional throughlines, but lots of cute marketable moments. That's what happens when you rush the script, rewrite it on the fly during shooting, then rewrite it again for reshoots with no single directorial vision or authorial voice. Seems to pretty much be what Lucasfilm is going for with these.

Man, I haven't heard the term "four quadrant" in a while and now I'm inexplicably mad.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Mr President posted:

They should get a good storyteller who works with lots of practical effects.

Why? Favreau was a "practical effects, practical effects, practical effects" guy going into Iron Man. Now he uses just about as much CG as anyone. He uses the effect technique that gets the best result. Sometimes (less every day) practical is the best way to go. Sometimes CG is.

I grew up glued to the TV whenever a "making of" Star Wars show was on PBS or elsewhere. Models are cool, miniatures are cool. They aren't necessarily the best way to get a cool shot. If you duplicated the second Death Star space battle with CG, didn't change the composition or "choreography" of the elements, it would look better. Just the Executor slamming into the Death Star would justify it, you'd get a believable collision rather than a bright light followed by a jet of flame.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I can't believe that Lucasfilm didn't stick with the director of this masterpiece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz8R2xxeyaA

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Timby posted:

The space sim industry has essentially been comatose since Wing Commander Prophecy and Freespace 2 both bombed hard at the end of the '90s. I'd be shocked if we get anything beyond the re-releases of the LucasArts stuff on GOG (and Rogue Squadron is in its own special flavor of hell due to it running like hot poo poo without the N64 Expansion Pak, which still seems difficult to emulate).

Do you miss space flight sims? Do you wish Chris Roberts, maker of Wing Commander, would make another? Are you willing to drop thousands of dollars on a beta, several times?

Allow me to introduce you to the insanity that is Star Citizen.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

thrawn527 posted:

Do you miss space flight sims? Do you wish Chris Roberts, maker of Wing Commander, would make another? Are you willing to drop thousands of dollars on a beta, several times?

Allow me to introduce you to the insanity that is Star Citizen.

Oh, believe me, I know Star Citizen well, and I originally backed in 2012 before realizing the whole thing was a bad joke.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

homullus posted:

David Lynch would be an inspired choice if he could somehow triangulate Dune, The Straight Story, and Mulholland Drive in the same movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PALjbTo1D5U

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fart City posted:

Birth Movies Death floated the idea of Jon Favreau

I guess they didn't catch Cowboys and Aliens.

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS
Give it to Alex Garland or, if Ragnarok turns out as good as the trailers look, Taika Waititi. Otherwise Rian Johnson again.

Edgar Wright was my initial pick before they announced Trevorrow, but there's no way he'd do it at this point.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Waititi scoffed at being brought up as a possible candidate on Twitter, saying he'd be fired the first week.

I imagine after all this, even the nerdiest and hungriest of young Hollywood directors would be hesitant to jump on board a Star Wars flick; Josh Trank being chewed up and spit out, Gareth Edwards losing control on his film and having to stand by while another director reshoots a third of it, Lord & Miller being fired right before filming is completed, Colin Trevorrow being fired directly after. Waititi and Vogt-Roberts immediately took to Twitter to remove their names from contention and I imagine a good number of others will as well. No hot young director wants to be the next on the Lucasfilm naughty list. Lucasfilm itself is likely pivoting their strategy, looking to more Ron Howards of the world who know their place as workman technicians who don't make waves and do what they're told.

I can imagine a not too distant future where Brett Ratner winds up on one of these.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 6, 2017

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Neo Rasa posted:

I guess they didn't catch Cowboys and Aliens.

Much like the rest of the moviegoing public.

ohhhhhhhhhhh

Serf
May 5, 2011

I remember when I went to see Cowboys and Aliens, they started showing a Harry Potter movie by accident and several old Vietnam vets stood up and stormed out to tell them to change it.

That was the most memorable part of the movie.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Instant Sunrise posted:

I can't believe that Lucasfilm didn't stick with the director of this masterpiece:

I never saw it. Was it bad?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
A small minority really liked it for its audacious nature and willingness to commit to bizarre choices. The rest of the critics and moviegoing public thought it was absolute ludicrous trite garbage.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just realized Henry is Bill Denbrough in It.

So literally everyone is safe from this movie except for Colin.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

feedmyleg posted:

A small minority really liked it for its audacious nature and willingness to commit to bizarre choices. The rest of the critics and moviegoing public thought it was absolute ludicrous trite garbage.

I haven't seen it myself, but the impression I got was that it was a bad movie filled with absurdly tone deaf narrative choices that got further dogpiled on for being the follow-up to Jurassic World, which itself was a pretty contentious movie to begin with. It feels like Disney snapped out of focusing solely on the money JW pulled in, and began to take a broader look at what Treverrow brought to the table, and found it to be a little too iffy to bet on (especially with the Han Solo fiasco being so fresh).

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Instant Sunrise posted:

I want to see a RedLetterMedia Half in the Bag takedown of this movie.
It looks sooooo bad.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

JazzFlight posted:

I want to see a RedLetterMedia Half in the Bag takedown of this movie.
It looks sooooo bad.

If I'm recalling a review I read when it came out, it's even more ludicrous than you think: Henry, the kid, dies like a third of the way through the movie, but his brother gives his mother the notebook with the plan to murder ASAC Schrader, complete with step-by-step narration on a cassette tape that Henry recorded before he died. At the end, the mother doesn't pull the trigger on the rifle, but rather Scrader shoots himself. And then the mother writes a children's book.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Waititi scoffed at being brought up as a possible candidate on Twitter, saying he'd be fired the first week.

I imagine after all this, even the nerdiest and hungriest of young Hollywood directors would be hesitant to jump on board a Star Wars flick; Josh Trank being chewed up and spit out, Gareth Edwards losing control on his film and having to stand by while another director reshoots a third of it, Lord & Miller being fired right before filming is completed, Colin Trevorrow being fired directly after. Waititi and Vogt-Roberts immediately took to Twitter to remove their names from contention and I imagine a good number of others will as well. No hot young director wants to be the next on the Lucasfilm naughty list. Lucasfilm itself is likely pivoting their strategy, looking to more Ron Howards of the world who know their place as workman technicians who don't make waves and do what they're told.

I can imagine a not too distant future where Brett Ratner winds up on one of these.

Removing their names from contention lol... like they were ever candidates. Let's be honest here, everyone will still be jumping at the chance to be involved in a project like this. It might be able to break you but it can just as easily make you VERY big.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Beeez posted:

I think they should cut out the middle man and let Kathleen Kennedy herself direct it.

I think that would be loving awful idea

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Mr President posted:

They should get a good storyteller who works with lots of practical effects.

Chiodo Brothers for Star Wars.

banned from Starbucks posted:

I think that would be loving awful idea

All the more likely for it to happen then!

Actually Favreau is a super boring choice, so it's probably gonna be him.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It's worth reflecting on the fact that although Star Wars 77's eclectic mashup of pulp sci fi, mysticism, Westerns and Samurai flicks, and the dreams of one lonely white dude from central California is, like, the embodiment of popular entertainment today it's actually a really weird, personal, and idiosyncratic movie even if Lucas was maybe toying with trying to capture a mass market when he was making it.

How the gently caress are you going to capture that lightning or something like it when Kathleen Kennedy calls you for a pitch because she needs to start seeing returns on her 2bn investment in six quarters? You're probably not. What happened to Luke? "[He] died."

Rogue One was pretty good though!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm dumb

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

porfiria posted:

I disagree. But it was encouraging to hear that Edwards went back and watched a bunch of old WWII and pulp movies in an attempt to channel a similar influence pool.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Actually, I got it you guys. Hear me out.

Star Wars Episode IX: The Force Goes Back to Sleep. A film by Lena Dunham.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tiny Jedi

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
What's Spielberg up to these days? Give him three or four of these fuckers.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

What's Spielberg up to these days? Give him three or four of these fuckers.
Right now? An adaptation of Ready Player One.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

Right now? An adaptation of Ready Player One.

OK, he's eliminated himself from contention with that terrible decision.

What about his non-union Mexican equivalent?

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

What about Dennis Venelllasavieiudaen he's getting everything these days.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So what's the whole story with Edwards? It keeps getting mentioned, but I don't remember anything about it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

porfiria posted:

How the gently caress are you going to capture that lightning or something like it when Kathleen Kennedy calls you for a pitch because she needs to start seeing returns on her 2bn investment in six quarters? You're probably not. What happened to Luke? "[He] died."

Rogue One is literally like maybe two steps removed the final paragraph you're describing. It's completely uninspired and generic, boiled down to the most vapid baseline ideals of an action movie while being utterly and completely inappropriate for the subject matter - of what on paper is quite obviously supposed to be a heist movie.

I second the Kathleen should direct it, if only to see an even more soulless and formulaic follow-up to "well guys we made the AT-AT bigger and dumber also we put giant guns on everything gently caress it I dunno." TLJ might be good, but it'll be too micromanaged to really have a fair shot, even with RJ directing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I mean to be fair it's not like terrible novels haven't been turned into great movies before.

Like supposedly Jaws was actually a kind of lovely book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MonsieurChoc posted:

So what's the whole story with Edwards? It keeps getting mentioned, but I don't remember anything about it.

There's a bunch of reshoots and deleted scenes we'll never see because Disney is run by uncreative assholes who want a product that creates an ROI instead of trusting in a solid director to do something interesting with the dramatic threads left after Return of the Jedi or any of the interesting characters people have grown so attached to.

Like, thinking back to Mass Effect there was some common sentiment for a smaller scale game in that universe with like Garrus being a space cop on the Citadel, LA Noire style after ME2. Instead they went all in with Andromeda being another gotta save the galaxy schlock to try and reach that same high and it blew up in their face, I feel like that's what is most likely to happen after Episode 9 wraps up and we get some distance from Disney Wars.

• Locked thread