Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Good suggestion! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Feenix posted:

No expert here but I've never known cast iron to NOT leave a little black on a paper towel.

Ya'll remember that kitchenaid stand mixer at Costco a couple weeks ago? I got one and just getting around to using it. The arm when it's mixing is hitting the back of the bowl fairly hard. Enough to kind of be going "whiiiiiiirrr-bonk-whiiiiiiiirrr-bonk"

I'm hoping this is just a misaligned bowl-mount and not with the mixer. Is this normal. If not normal, is it a common issue? If it's an issue, is it usually the bowl?

Perfect, exactly what I was hoping to hear. Good luck with the mixer!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Thermoworks is having a sale on ThermaQs and ThermaQ kits.

Enjoy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Thermoworks is having a sale on ThermaQs and ThermaQ kits.

Enjoy.

Something's wrong with my Smoke, so I'm tempted and not tempted. (The meat probe goes nuts and registers like 180F when it's sitting in the air in shade. I tried a replacement when it was in that situation and the same thing. The air temp works in both ports, the meat works in neither.)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
This is amazing

https://twitter.com/takaratomytoys/status/904923390204461056

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I finally managed to strip the gears on my hand mixer while making dough (honestly surprised it lasted that long).

What's the dealio with stand mixers. Are metal gears a requirement if I'm making dough semi frequently, or can I get away with plastic/pot-metal/lead gears?

How do I know what kind of gearbox a mixer has?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Horse Clocks posted:

I finally managed to strip the gears on my hand mixer while making dough (honestly surprised it lasted that long).

What's the dealio with stand mixers. Are metal gears a requirement if I'm making dough semi frequently, or can I get away with plastic/pot-metal/lead gears?

If you make dough all the time you want metal gears, there is a bread making thread where they can give you recommendations on mixers that will last.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

My Breville Hemisphere is letting out it's death rattle, time to get a Vitamix. Is the 5300 refurb the way to go? I don't have a height restriction where I'll be keeping it (for now) so I don't mind getting one of the tall ugly ones if they perform better.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Horse Clocks posted:

For breadmaking, you have one best option. It's head and shoulders better than the competition. Get an Ankarsrum.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Does this heat or cook the egg, or just separate and whip the whites?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I got my hands on a nice old spice rack, with a bunch of nice glass spice containers...except they're all quite old and dirty. Is there an easy way to clean them out that won't take off the labels? I can't buy replacements, because the company doesn't exist anymore.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Main Paineframe posted:

I got my hands on a nice old spice rack, with a bunch of nice glass spice containers...except they're all quite old and dirty. Is there an easy way to clean them out that won't take off the labels? I can't buy replacements, because the company doesn't exist anymore.

Tape over the labels and use alcohol and a bottle brush to clean the inside? Not sure how well that'll work.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Nice find! If the adhesive allows it it's probably best to remove the labels from the bottles entirely before washing them. Otherwise the only things I can think of would be some clear acrylic or polyurethane sealer or finding someone with a proper bottle washer (the kind that spray the inside of the bottle) and being very, very careful.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
If you just want to clean the insides, pour some coarse salt and lemon juice in there, seal them up and shake them real good. Use a funnel to rinse them out to avoid dripping on the label if you're worried about that. Repeat until they're clean.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Better yet, peel off the labels and hand paint the names if you really like the set up.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

Does this heat or cook the egg, or just separate and whip the whites?

Separate and whips the whites. And you would use it all raw.

edit:

Steve this is just for a fancier presentation of tamago gohan right? Or does whipping the whites affect the final product after you mix up the rice?

For anyone who doesn't know the dish I think that machine is probably for for: http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/04/tamago-kake-gohan-japanese-egg-rice-tkg.html

.Z. fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 6, 2017

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Misen has a new kickstarter going for cookware. Skillets, sauciers, and a stock pot. I bought their knife and it's become my daily workhorse and I'm very happy with it, but I won't be participating in this one as I'm mostly happy with the cookware I do have. I'd love a saucier, actually, but they aren't selling them individually.

If anyone pulls the trigger, let the rest of the thread know how their stuff is. I'm interested to see how their five-ply tech stands up against traditional tri-ply cookware out there today.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

The Midniter posted:

Misen has a new kickstarter going for cookware. Skillets, sauciers, and a stock pot. I bought their knife and it's become my daily workhorse and I'm very happy with it, but I won't be participating in this one as I'm mostly happy with the cookware I do have. I'd love a saucier, actually, but they aren't selling them individually.

If anyone pulls the trigger, let the rest of the thread know how their stuff is. I'm interested to see how their five-ply tech stands up against traditional tri-ply cookware out there today.

5-ply is kind of a meaningless term. All-clad tri-ply is technically 5-ply, they just don't bother calling it that because two of the layers are bonding layers and are so thin they don't make a difference. But some of the other manufacturers do count those layers, and in those cases their 5-ply is basically the same as All-clad's tri-ply.

Furthermore more layers doesn't equal more performance of any kind. What matters is the thickness of the material. So if you've got a 5-ply and a 3-ply of the same thickness and same percentage of materials, they'll perform about the same. That said, Misen is stating that their pans are thicker so there will be more metal. This also means the pans are going to be heavier, heat up slower (even with more aluminum in the mix), and have better heat retention (as they stated). Whether that's a good or bad thing depends on your use-cases.

I'm not sure .4mm more material will make a noticeable difference to most people vs. what is already out there. And if you want an idea of what the Misen pans will be like, look into the Demeyere Industry5 pans, same thickness and 5ply as well: https://www.centurylife.org/in-depth-product-review-zwilling-j-a-henckels-sensation-11-inch-frying-pan-skillet/

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
I finally got my mafter bourgeat carbon steel pan. I seasoned it with their potato peels technique. Seems to work fine, but after using a metal spatula, it now has silver-looking scratches on it. Is this normal or is the seasoning not right? Scratching on the cast iron does nothing of the sort.

Also, I fried and egg and could see a lighter shade of the seasoning where the egg was.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

rgocs posted:

I finally got my mafter bourgeat carbon steel pan. I seasoned it with their potato peels technique. Seems to work fine, but after using a metal spatula, it now has silver-looking scratches on it. Is this normal or is the seasoning not right? Scratching on the cast iron does nothing of the sort.

Also, I fried and egg and could see a lighter shade of the seasoning where the egg was.

Cast iron usually being bumpy, the bumps prevent most of the surface from being scratched. On top of that, most cast iron comes with a factory seasoning which is pretty strong and scratch-resistant compared to what most people can get on their pans at home.

The scratches will heal themselves up over time, just keep cooking with oil. If it bothers you, you can switch to using wooden utensils

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Cast iron usually being bumpy, the bumps prevent most of the surface from being scratched. On top of that, most cast iron comes with a factory seasoning which is pretty strong and scratch-resistant compared to what most people can get on their pans at home.

The scratches will heal themselves up over time, just keep cooking with oil. If it bothers you, you can switch to using wooden utensils
I was most worried about it being a sign that the seasoning was not done properly. It doesn't really bother me* unless it is actually something I should avoid. Also, does the pan eventually go black, as in cast iron black?

* So, it does slightly trigger my OCD, but as long as it works, I'll live.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Eventually yes. One thing I've been noticing is that one half of my pan got black before the other half, and I realized it was because I was always putting it on the stove slightly off center. Steel isn't very even-heating so even being off by an inch every single time I cooked created a noticeable difference

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Do refrigerator ethylene absorbers actually work? If so, which ones are good

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Do refrigerator ethylene absorbers actually work? If so, which ones are good

The Guardian posted:

"Ethylene absorbers have no real benefits at household level," says Toine Timmermans, an expert on food sustainability at Wageningen University and Research Centre in the Netherlands, who is sceptical about the discs' merits. "Ethylene is a hormone that triggers ripening when more than one part per billion is present. It can work at container level, but not on such a small scale."
Article.

So, I wouldn't bother unless you can somehow ensure that all air in your fridge goes through an ethylene filter before being recirculated.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Woot is having a sale on a NutriChef immersion circulator today for $63.99 in new condition. Never used that brand before and don't know anything about it but it's not rocket science and that's pretty drat cheap for a circulator.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

.Z. posted:

5-ply is kind of a meaningless term. All-clad tri-ply is technically 5-ply, they just don't bother calling it that because two of the layers are bonding layers and are so thin they don't make a difference. But some of the other manufacturers do count those layers, and in those cases their 5-ply is basically the same as All-clad's tri-ply.

Furthermore more layers doesn't equal more performance of any kind. What matters is the thickness of the material. So if you've got a 5-ply and a 3-ply of the same thickness and same percentage of materials, they'll perform about the same. That said, Misen is stating that their pans are thicker so there will be more metal. This also means the pans are going to be heavier, heat up slower (even with more aluminum in the mix), and have better heat retention (as they stated). Whether that's a good or bad thing depends on your use-cases.

I'm not sure .4mm more material will make a noticeable difference to most people vs. what is already out there. And if you want an idea of what the Misen pans will be like, look into the Demeyere Industry5 pans, same thickness and 5ply as well: https://www.centurylife.org/in-depth-product-review-zwilling-j-a-henckels-sensation-11-inch-frying-pan-skillet/
product marketing is largely "how to get away with spurious bullshit claims 101" thanks to how much of a joke American advertising law is.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Eventually yes. One thing I've been noticing is that one half of my pan got black before the other half, and I realized it was because I was always putting it on the stove slightly off center. Steel isn't very even-heating so even being off by an inch every single time I cooked created a noticeable difference
So, I just made some chicken fajitas, and the pan ended up silver colour. It started coming off as soon as I started sauteing the onions, totally came off with the peppers, and cheese a the end stuck all over it. Seasoning has never come off my cast iron doing this, whatup?

Also, gently caress me, the pan is like a spinning top. Used it the first two times on a friend's gas stove, but we have a glass top and noticed it as soon as I put it on. Can they be trued?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

rgocs posted:

So, I just made some chicken fajitas, and the pan ended up silver colour. It started coming off as soon as I started sauteing the onions, totally came off with the peppers, and cheese a the end stuck all over it. Seasoning has never come off my cast iron doing this, whatup?

Also, gently caress me, the pan is like a spinning top. Used it the first two times on a friend's gas stove, but we have a glass top and noticed it as soon as I put it on. Can they be trued?

Do you know how hot your pan is getting? Seasoning will start coming off at 700°, and disappear very fast at 800°. The solution is either a) cook at a lower temp or b) throw plenty of oil in every time you cook so that you keep adding seasoning as it constantly goes.

I dunno about trueing a steel pan. Maybe an angle grinder?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Do you know how hot your pan is getting? Seasoning will start coming off at 700°, and disappear very fast at 800°. The solution is either a) cook at a lower temp or b) throw plenty of oil in every time you cook so that you keep adding seasoning as it constantly goes.
Didn't measure temperature, but 700/800 seems too high. It was on medium heat. If it were near 700/800 the onions would've burned quite fast no?

Steve Yun posted:

I dunno about trueing a steel pan. Maybe an angle grinder?
Going to try returning it to amazon as defective. I've had it less than a week and did not to anything that would warp it. I heated it up particularly slowly to avoid that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh then if it was flaking off under medium heat maybe you were putting on the oil too thick when you seasoned it.

Now that you're returning the pan, when you get the next one, a) wipe off as much oil as you can before baking each layer of seasoning and b) don't worry about it too much because with lots of cooking eventually the seasoning gets bomb proof on its own. With every flake that falls off, the seasoning that's left behind is the stronger stuff, kind of like survival of the fittest

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Oh then if it was flaking off under medium heat maybe you were putting on the oil too thick when you seasoned it.

Now that you're returning the pan, when you get the next one, a) wipe off as much oil as you can before baking each layer of seasoning and b) don't worry about it too much because with lots of cooking eventually the seasoning gets bomb proof on its own. With every flake that falls off, the seasoning that's left behind is the stronger stuff, kind of like survival of the fittest

I seasoned it with their potato peel, oil and salt method though. America's Test Kitchen review said it had worked better than the oven method :shrug:. I'll play more with it once I get a replacement, though returning it may be a pain, it was shipped to a friend in the US and I picked it up when I visited last week. Anyway, googling around it seems that it's not uncommon for the matfer bourgeat to be warped on delivery, so next one may be warped too, yay.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My small one does not spin like a top, very large one does (won't even go in the oven with handle)

This was pre season, the cooking top is flat though. I don't think it's a defect.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

rgocs posted:

I seasoned it with their potato peel, oil and salt method though. America's Test Kitchen review said it had worked better than the oven method :shrug:. I'll play more with it once I get a replacement, though returning it may be a pain, it was shipped to a friend in the US and I picked it up when I visited last week. Anyway, googling around it seems that it's not uncommon for the matfer bourgeat to be warped on delivery, so next one may be warped too, yay.

I do t know about ATK's method but I will say for a dummy like myself, the method from Sheryl Canter

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

Was fool-proof, but took little time.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Feenix posted:

I do t know about ATK's method but I will say for a dummy like myself, the method from Sheryl Canter

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

Was fool-proof, but took little time.

This is what I've used since finding out about it a few years ago. It's perfect. You get an amazing seasoning, and it only gets harder with time. Very nonstick - not quite Teflon level (nothing is) but certainly sufficient to fry eggs with, which is the real test.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Carbon steel != Cast iron. Oven methods will always result in stickiness in my experience.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Carbon steel != Cast iron. Oven methods will always result in stickiness in my experience.

Good point. I have no experience with seasoning carbon steel. Ignore me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What's a good set of salt and pepper shakers to keep for the grill outside? I was just gonna buy a cheap two pack but wasn't sure if there was a certain type that worked well for some dumb reason. Don't want to take my grinders out there all the time.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

just use a salt bowl and pepper your meat after.
peppering meat during cooking is largely pointless, 50%+ will end up in the coals, and the rest will probably burn on the meat and develop bitterness.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Well, this probably, maybe doesn't fall into the "kitchen" equipment thread. But..we're goons so...I'm gonna say it.

I spent almost a grand and got a Roomba 980.

Yep. Do it.
At first you will think "this is bullshit" and after 5 days you will think "this is black magic."

If you can buy fancy knives, you can buy a fancy maid to clean your floors.

e: my only wish is that I was still young and poor enough to have ferrets to watch them battle it.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Holy poo poo dude, I've been thinking about getting a robot vacuum for months now but hesitate to pull the trigger even when some model comes on Woot for like $150-200...how much better could a $900 one be? Does it give you a hand jibber when it's done vacuuming?