Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Opt is Modern-legal now, this is big.

I mean its worse than slight of hand, right? Well, I guess it is instant....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

Instant speed is a big big deal

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What was the last standard-legal (semi)decent single mana filtering cantrip?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rinkles posted:

Ponder in M12. Before it was Preordain in M11.

And during their tenures around Scars block we had some of the most consistent Ux standard decks in history, including Caw-Blade.

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Assuming you don't count Oath of Nissa? You have to go all the way back to Ponder in M12.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Sickening posted:

Instant and also Scry's before draw which could be important, whereas Serum Visions draws prior to a deeper scry.

I don't hate it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Of course you don't hate Opt, it's been a dedicated player since 2000.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I guess we know what the next card to be banned from Modern Storm is.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

80s James Hetfield posted:

Thopter Engineer is not in standard (I wish it was)

Whirler Virtuoso, sorry.

suicidesteve posted:

I'm going to sell my Japanese foil Opts and retire!

I actually just got a English foil Opt at Hareruya in August. They have a "foiled out" pack in a vending machine for...I want to say 5 bucks? That and a EMA Animate Dead were the good ones. Now this is making me want to buy a full set of old (non-foil) ones.

edit: impulse bought 4 French Opts (Option!)

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 6, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Of course you don't hate Opt, it's been a dedicated player since 2000.

Has it though? I assume you mean pauper?

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I quite like that Duress art.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

PrinnySquadron posted:

I quite like that Duress art.

I think it will look pretty good in foil.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
The TCC video that those spoilers came from is pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYFyfGTvU4g

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

So Grixis control is looking better and better w/ Gearhulks and Bolas as finishers, perhaps?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Um... excuse me?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I'd just like to thank WotC for finally giving me Opt in modern like I've been asking for years. I'd also like to thank them for doing it long after I gave up on all of my decks that would have wanted it.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It's good they opted to print it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tainen posted:

Um... excuse me?

Well that seems very good in standard

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

Well that seems very good in standard

I would say Samut is better and no one plays her (except me as a 1-of in Temur Energy.) If Dino synergy is really viable in standard sure, but I don't know if having a 3/3 is worth it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

I would say Samut is better and no one plays her (except me as a 1-of in Temur Energy.) If Dino synergy is really viable in standard sure, but I don't know if having a 3/3 is worth it.

An ETB that results in two similarly strong bodies is generally very worth it and has been in way higher power level standards (see Jund and Broodmate Dragon)

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

C-Euro posted:

I guess we know what the next card to be banned from Modern Storm is.

RIP Baral

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

Samut puts less power into play and is more vulnerable to spot removal.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

I am scratching my head to how you are even coming to this comparison. The dino isn't even hamstrung by legendary status.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Excited for Opt.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/saffronolive/status/905444928930578432

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

functional errata is loving stupid, especially here where it's just "for fun"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Looks like it's mainly Lizard -> Dinosaur, plus straight-up adding Dinosaur to some things that weren't Lizards.

With the one exception being Deathmist Raptor, which is no longer a Beast because...?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

evilweasel posted:

functional errata is loving stupid, especially here where it's just "for fun"

You're right, this affects all the Lizard-tribal cards.

Dinosaurs are cool, watch Jurassic Park like the rest of us.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I assume the deathmist raptor one was to allow MTGfinance folks to make a little money. The EDH market has been probably the best money maker of the past year.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Tainen posted:

Um... excuse me?

Card seems good. It's besties with Rhonas.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hah, I was idly musing about this yesterday. Deathmist Raptor specifically.

(I don't like functional errata either)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

An ETB that results in two similarly strong bodies is generally very worth it and has been in way higher power level standards (see Jund and Broodmate Dragon)

The Jund deck would be built fundamentally different to what they want a Naya dino deck to be. There is no Blightning to clear the way. I am saying there does not appear to be enough of a deck to make Dinosaur tribal better than Temur Energy, which wouldn't play this over a Glorybringer (I'd assume.) Unless something really changes, I don't see how a deck that looks to be built around 7 drop dinos can work.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

The Jund deck would be built fundamentally different to what they want a Naya dino deck to be. There is no Blightning to clear the way. I am saying there does not appear to be enough of a deck to make Dinosaur tribal better than Temur Energy, which wouldn't play this over a Glorybringer (I'd assume.) Unless something really changes, I don't see how a deck that looks to be built around 7 drop dinos can work.

This is a generically strong card. On it's own.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
If I were playing a Beast tribal deck and someone pulled up the errata list on my Deathmist Raptor I would stop playing magic with that person.

In reality I don't think the beast distinction would matter outside of some cubes maybe. Definitely would have been cleaner to just make it a Dinosaur Beast

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Can you wait for the set to be spoiled before making these types of calls? Seems wiser.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

here's a random question: fungusaur has been printed with two different mechanics: originally and now, it gets +1/+1 immediately after it is dealt damage, in revised-5th edition, it gets +1/+1 at the end of turn if it was dealt damage that turn. what the gently caress happened where they decided to just change how the card actually works in revised, then changed it back years later?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sweet, I get to use my favorite Duress art in standard again.

Kolaghan giving Zurgo a stern walking to is my favorite Duress art.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
For a moment I got excited that I could play Opt in Modern.

Opt.

Wizards has finally broken me.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sickening posted:

Can you wait for the set to be spoiled before making these types of calls? Seems wiser.

No I'll Mcmagic this. I don't think this will see as much play as people here think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

evilweasel posted:

here's a random question: fungusaur has been printed with two different mechanics: originally and now, it gets +1/+1 immediately after it is dealt damage, in revised-5th edition, it gets +1/+1 at the end of turn if it was dealt damage that turn. what the gently caress happened where they decided to just change how the card actually works in revised, then changed it back years later?

The design philosophy around functional errata has varied quite a bit over the years. I believe the modern philosophy is "functionally equivalent to the most recent printing". You can see this most notably with Loxodon Warhammer - when they first came out with Lifelink, they updated a bunch of old cards to use Lifelink, even when they resulted in functional changes. Later, they decided that was stupid, and returned them all to their printed functionality - except Loxodon Warhammer had been reprinted with the new wording, and so it stayed with the "most recent printing" Lifelink version.

I guess fungusaur got reprinted at a time when they decided that cards should maintain the original functionality, which is why it reverted to the original wording. No idea why it would have changed in the first place though.