Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's pretty clearly spelled out, you find out exactly what it is if you finish the game. It's to create new super-powerful bodies for the dying elders using humans as the raw materiala, after which they will be unstoppable by X-Com.

The thing I don't fully understand is how are they not 'done' if you have to fight at least four avatars. Also the Warlock refers to Avatar in the singular too. What's the deal with mass production.

My take for GW is likely going to be to remove the lose condition, and instead have it be represented by them literally fielding Avatars constructed by their supply chain to the alien facilities, which then act as their major interrogators (owing to their psi powers) and combat leaders.

To be honest I don't actually care too much about most game lore, but I care a bit more about XCOM 2's cause I'd really like to make GW's mechanics fit it tightly, dunno why, just feels like a good constraint to work with to keep the dialogue and aesthetic matching the gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Having a templar on your very first mission is very good

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Templars seem great in the early game, but it feels like their utility drops off pretty drat quickly as you get into the later content. Maybe I just wasn't playing mine right, but he could not keep up with the rest of the team at all once they started hitting Captain, Major, and Colonel.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Norns posted:

Having a templar on your very first mission is very good
Yeah, they brutalize sectoids and are a rare source of guaranteed damage at that level. Take amplify as your first upgrade: I think I cast Volt once just to see what it does, but Amplify doesn't end your turn so you can Amp a target and then melee it for more damage than you lost by using the focus. Each focus earns +1 damage and amplify does +33%

E: yeah, they fall off a bit at later ranks, I think. I did like perma-killing the Hunter with a reflected sniper shot though.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 6, 2017

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Maluco Marinero posted:

The thing I don't fully understand is how are they not 'done' if you have to fight at least four avatars. Also the Warlock refers to Avatar in the singular too. What's the deal with mass production.

Those ones aren't complete, apparently. You fight them because the aliens go "holy poo poo XCOM is here throw everything we have whether it's ready or not".

They're still really loving lame though.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Those ones aren't complete, apparently. You fight them because the aliens go "holy poo poo XCOM is here throw everything we have whether it's ready or not".

They're still really loving lame though.

They're actually super tame when you take into account the chosen and the alien rulers. Like massively tame breakfast meals, low health etc. They just don't compete with standard tough poo poo, probably only a bit harder than a gatekeeper.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
This was a couple pages back in a "tips for beginners" post. One minor point I would have ignored but one major point I feel needs to be addressed for new players.

temple posted:

The Avenger defense mission is mandatory no matter what you do.
Not technically true! While a hunter UFO does get launched as part of the story... sometimes it just doesn't intercept you. My first WOTC runthrough had no avenger defenses at all. I think this happened because I sped through the final story steps fairly quickly and the UFO didn't have time to intercept me. But that's hardly important: you ALMOST definitely will have an avenger defense and the Defense Matrix is very helpful for this!

But this is why I had to post.

quote:

Skip psionics.

temple posted:

Advice for struggling players.
Mostly good but one bit of bad advice in it.

Do not.

Skip.

Psionics.

Psi troopers are by far the most stupidly overpowered class you have. Here's some things they can do:

-With a basic, low-level ability, completely disable ANY single enemy for an entire turn, with a 100% success rate, usable multiple times per mission. This works on alien rulers. (haven't tried on chosen) That totally unfair super blazing pinions the Archon King does where you only have time to move one dude before it hits? Halted for an entire turn.
-Fire a straight-line blast that is one of the highest damage hits possible, never misses, and ignores armor. (9-14 damage at max upgrade)
-AOE armor-ignoring damage that has a chance to disorient/stun/mind control anything it hits. Doesn't miss. Ignores armor.
-Permanently mind control one organic enemy per mission
-Single-target armor ignoring hit on biological enemy, upgrade causes this to heal the psi trooper. Never misses. Roughly assault rifle damage for the tier of psi amp you have.
-They can get killed once per mission and survive with an emergency self-stasis.
-Give one action to an ally in visual range, reusable on the mission. (like Teamwork from bonded pairs, except on a cooldown instead of single-use, and it works on anyone.)
-Immunity to acid, fire, poison, and explosions all on one ability.
-Detonate an enemy grenade... even if he's still alive and carrying it. Not very powerful but it is hilarious.
-Always-on aura that prevents/cancels panic, disorientation, and mind control. Including Warlock's mind control. Unsure this works on Daze.

Reapers, Templars, and Skirmishers are seriously powerful new classes but I still think the PSI Trooper beats them all. Do not skip these.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 6, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
They also can apply rupture on that AoE burst and have a passive aura that removes a ton of debuffs. Psiops are great.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I haven't had this much fun with an ingame photo thing since Shadow of Mordor, so it's not just the nemesis system Jake took. Could WOTC be the best XCOM game of all time? Sources say, yes!

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
They are insanely overpowered and the only thing that they have even slight problems with is mechanical enemies.... though Null Lance affects even those quite well. My only real problem with psi ops is figuring out what utility items to give them: Armor underlays are a good bet, but as for the others...

Ammo? No need to shoot for the most part since psi attacks are just flat-out better 95% of the time.
Mimic beacons? Some utility there against groups, but against single high-value targets Stasis is FAR superior.
Grenades? Void Rift does everything the average grenade does, and then some. Plus it's on a cooldown rather than being a consumable.
Mind Shield? Doesn't do anything that Solace doesn't do flat-out better.
Sustaining Sphere? Literally a copy of an ability they already have.
Medkit? Good for poison immunity and healing others, I suppose, but Soulfire steals enemy health AND hurts them at the same time, so generally speaking the Psi Op himself will have no use for it.
Battle Scanners? .... okay, this one is actually kind of useful for spotting chryssalids.

I mean it's just amazing how much rear end they kick and how much utility they have.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Deuce posted:

Do not.

Skip.

Psionics.

Psi troopers are by far the most stupidly overpowered class you have.

Nobody is ever going to argue that Psi troopers are anything less than comically overpowered, but read the context of the advice: Vanilla XCOM2 for a guy who can't make it into the midgame on Veteran. The psi chamber is hugely expensive and takes a good time to pay off, apx 1 month until magus and a 2nd month to 'finish' them. A newer player won't know exactly what corners to cut to rush the psi chamber, and would be more immediately benefited by focusing on armour/weapons/foundry projects; Colonels naturally level by the time your fastest psi trooper arrive, and colonels with Predator&Mag can win the game. Almost all of the difficulty is in the early game and the midgame hump. By the time you're over these, the victory lap has begun, which is coincidentally when most players get their first psi troopers.

The advice was sound: If you're getting your face pushed in by Mutons and Archons, the psi chamber is the not answer you're looking for.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Backhand posted:

They are insanely overpowered and the only thing that they have even slight problems with is mechanical enemies.... though Null Lance affects even those quite well. My only real problem with psi ops is figuring out what utility items to give them: Armor underlays are a good bet, but as for the others...

Ammo? No need to shoot for the most part since psi attacks are just flat-out better 95% of the time.
Mimic beacons? Some utility there against groups, but against single high-value targets Stasis is FAR superior.
Grenades? Void Rift does everything the average grenade does, and then some. Plus it's on a cooldown rather than being a consumable.
Medkit? Good for poison immunity and healing others, I suppose, but Soulfire steals enemy health AND hurts them at the same time, so generally speaking the Psi Op himself will have no use for it.
Battle Scanners? .... okay, this one is actually kind of useful for spotting chryssalids.

I mean it's just amazing how much rear end they kick and how much utility they have.
Neurowhip is an obvious one surely? Er, is Neurowhip in vanilla or is it a mod thing

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
These are all great but what the poo poo kind of camera acrobatics fuckery did you have to do to pull this one off? drat.

EDIT: Posters for the poster god!

Nordick fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 6, 2017

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Neurowhip is an obvious one surely? Er, is Neurowhip in vanilla or is it a mod thing

Dummied content, as I recall. So technically a mod thing.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Backhand posted:

They get to carry my EMP bombs and (maybe) bluescreen ammo if I decided to build them for some reason, simply because they're not great at robots and I'd rather my other soldiers carry more generally useful gear.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Backhand posted:

I usually give them scanners, b/c mimic beacons are better on other characters since psi have stuff to do in situations you'd want a beacon. Scanners are good between pod items, when they don't have much to do.

Although personally i just don't use psi stuff anymore, since i'd rather field another conventional troop, and they (psi) just aren't as fun.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 6, 2017

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I'm not sure what sort of brain I grew since release of the base game, but all of a sudden this game is no problem at all. Granted, I'm only on Veteran, but considering how I literally upset quit the game the week it came out, this is wild. I know inherently that swords are not "good," but honestly I do not regret my Blademaster ranger at all because guaranteed damage is very strong and I've missed enough flanking shots to make me want to have an early-game focused swordranger to carry me through the opening levels in all my campaigns. I'm very excited that melee seems to have received a buff in WotC

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OxySnake posted:

That being said, the rescue missions where you should be going full stealth had me on the edge of my seat the entire mission, up until the last second smash, grab, exit.

Also Pro Tip: You can't just blow up the wall to get your soldiers. I found that out the hard way.

I was wondering what was stopping your SPARK from going to town on the cell. :v:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I know it'd probably be overkill but I want a mod that lets you remote start claymores

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
So I'm closing in on T3 weapons and armor but I hate how they look. Are there any good low impact lore friendly replacer mods for them? Or worst case, just a way to keep the predator and magnetic/gauss models for stuff?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

So I'm closing in on T3 weapons and armor but I hate how they look. Are there any good low impact lore friendly replacer mods for them? Or worst case, just a way to keep the predator and magnetic/gauss models for stuff?

Did you like the T3 armor in EU/EW? If so there's a mod that adds them into Xcom 2, regular and WotC.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

How are you supposed to do the transmitter defense missions? I had one start with a sectopod, andromedon, two heavy MECs and two codices already at the transmitter. As far as I could tell there wasn't anything I could do in that situation besides buy the Ruler DLC to get frost grenades.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kitfox88 posted:

Stenchyfury's stuff is pretty good for armor and better than th base stuff.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Nordick posted:

These are all great but what the poo poo kind of camera acrobatics fuckery did you have to do to pull this one off? drat.

I think I rotated a kneeling soldier 180 degrees and wedged the camera over their head. At some point its hard to keep track of the free floating camera and a fun angle happens on accident.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm not sure what sort of brain I grew since release of the base game, but all of a sudden this game is no problem at all. Granted, I'm only on Veteran, but considering how I literally upset quit the game the week it came out, this is wild. I know inherently that swords are not "good," but honestly I do not regret my Blademaster ranger at all because guaranteed damage is very strong and I've missed enough flanking shots to make me want to have an early-game focused swordranger to carry me through the opening levels in all my campaigns. I'm very excited that melee seems to have received a buff in WotC

There's a lot of things in this game that aren't "good" as in "not as crazy overpowered as other stuff but still insanely useful situationally". My templar is technically a better meleer than my rangers, yes, but my rangers can also dish out crazy amounts of damage with their shotguns in addition to having that sword. And when I hit 3 advents and a chosen, most of my best ranged attackers are spent, they're behind cover, and I'm out of grenades... My 2 rangers with swordmaster + implacable + untouchable are the heroes.

I dunno, something about this expansion - I usually ignored swords in vanilla, but now like 1/4 of my kills are with swords. I just like the almost guaranteed hit.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

turn off the TV posted:

How are you supposed to do the transmitter defense missions? I had one start with a sectopod, andromedon, two heavy MECs and two codices already at the transmitter. As far as I could tell there wasn't anything I could do in that situation besides buy the Ruler DLC to get frost grenades.
An EMP bomb would have hosed them up pretty thoroughly if they were that closely together and prepped them for a good Haywire to boot. Did you know there would be lots of mech either from the Shadow Chamber or a Sitrep? What classes/gear are you capable of bringing? It might be that you just have to nope the gently caress out of there, but if you're rocking WAR suits and blaster bombs, that's a completely different story. Shutting down the Sectopod with Haywire/Stasis is a must, then you hope you can kill most/all everything else before it wakes up. I hope you brought explosives or a reliable source of shredding though.

Zore posted:

Stenchyfury's stuff is pretty good for armor and better than th base stuff.
Nice. I liked the Titanfall pack for T1/T2 and tried HALO's stuff for what I hoped were decent t3 replacements, but I just didn't like them. Good late-game cosmetic armor mod reqs are always appreciated.

E: Templar are so good early on because they're swordmaster Rangers that can't miss, start with a better version of Implacable, and can get exchange that bonus move for Untouchable with only two promotions. They start falling off a bit once Rangers get there too, plus Rangers keep their shotgun. Once Templar hit Colonel and get a better version of Stasis and a sweet AoE attack they start being amazing again though.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 6, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jesus Christ I hate the sewers.

The Archon King appeared on a rescue resistance vip mission. Every squad here also activated, because los underground is broken trash. The actual fight went ok, until an Andromedon sauntered over to one hit crit melee kill my Skirmisher. Glad I can't get any more because the order has never been seen!

At least the campaign's still alive.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I'm chugging along slowly on what's looking to be my first successful L/I run (Campaign #6!) and just had to share a few thoughts. Sorry if some of this is old news, I only skimmed most of the 900 posts I was behind on since launch:

1. Between the Eyes RO has been instrumental. I got the Lost World as the aliens' first dark event and it took like 3 months to clear. Apparently, if you get the bug, completing another mission with Sitrep: The Lost after the dark event has expired will actually make them go away. I have 3 high-level sharpshooters, and every mission for 3 months one of them went along with a sack full of pistols and a really beefy shootin' arm. There must have been a breadcrumb-trail of smoldering, jammed sidearms from the LZ to the extraction point on every mission for 1/4 of the year.

:smithicide:

2. SPARKS are pretty useful now because the flesh are weak and get "tired". Metal doesn't get tired. Rotating two relatively-consistent 5 man teams (with a couple of subs) around an ever-present SPARK in the 6th slot can take a lot of pressure off your bench on Legendary. He's also immune to the psi-poo poo and disables of the Chosen. Give him your best scope and an advanced expanded magazine for best results.

3. Inspirations and Breakthroughs are cool. I got super lucky with a mag weapons break through really early and even really good ones like that can be a double edged sword. My research path was:
Modular Weapons > Alien Biotech > *MAG WEAPONS INSPIRATION*

Which was great, for obvious reasons. But even with an Inspiration, it took a month to research it that early in the game. As a result, I was practically behind a whole month on the "normal" research trajectory and I had to scrimp and save and go without a bunch of things to use those early mag weapons.

4. The way the game plays out now can be really...um...different? I have just now started branching out from my starting continent, I'm about to go kill the Assassin, I've killed the Viper King and the Archon King (I've been using Facility Leads, the Officer Skulljack/Codex Kill, and 1 Covert Op to manage the doom counter--its currently at half), I'm digging out the last row of the Avenger and about to place the Shadow Chamber, and I still haven't done the first Black Site.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

RBA Starblade posted:

Jesus Christ I hate the sewers.

The Archon King appeared on a rescue resistance vip mission. Every squad here also activated, because los underground is broken trash. The actual fight went ok, until an Andromedon sauntered over to one hit crit melee kill my Skirmisher. Glad I can't get any more because the order has never been seen!

At least the campaign's still alive.
If you don't have a faction soldier, it seems like the order to recruit a new one comes up far faster than usual. Losing Mox early was great for my campaign because I got to recruit a higher rank genius skirmisher within a few weeks.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
Game is good as all hell, loving the variety. What with SITREPs, another retaliation type, nemesis system no two missions feel exactly the same. Skirmishers are soooo rad, zipping around everywhere and ruining people's days. They don't do a lot of damage but with the tier 2 claw I've stunned 100% of the time I've hit with Wrath, Justice, Retribution or slash. gently caress you, Chryssalids! gently caress you, Mutons! gently caress you, Berserkers!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ravenfood posted:

If you don't have a faction soldier, it seems like the order to recruit a new one comes up far faster than usual. Losing Mox early was great for my campaign because I got to recruit a higher rank genius skirmisher within a few weeks.

Well that's nice at least. The obnoxious thing is I just spent 30 ap getting him up to speed. He's the reason the campaign still exists though; he stunned half the units around.

Rip Worf

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

What's the consensus on Alien Hunters? I hear a lot of people talking about the enemies they fight in it so I feel a bit left out, but I see all the negative reviews on steam... I dunno.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

Also, as you get to the last mission they decide that once they have the Avatar recipe done they might as well kill off the rest of the useless humans.

They're not useless they're juice for the avatar bodies. There are thousands of people in the one vial that XCOM uses to grow its own, they need the entire population of Earth in order to make avatar bodies for everyone. That's why you just fight 4, because they've only processed enough bodies to make that.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

What's the consensus on Alien Hunters? I hear a lot of people talking about the enemies they fight in it so I feel a bit left out, but I see all the negative reviews on steam... I dunno.

Those reviews are left by tiny mewling babies who somehow can't appreciate the crossbow caster.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

XCOM 2 really wants me to use rangers this time. I've got like ten of them. :v:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ravenfood posted:

An EMP bomb would have hosed them up pretty thoroughly if they were that closely together and prepped them for a good Haywire to boot. Did you know there would be lots of mech either from the Shadow Chamber or a Sitrep? What classes/gear are you capable of bringing? It might be that you just have to nope the gently caress out of there, but if you're rocking WAR suits and blaster bombs, that's a completely different story. Shutting down the Sectopod with Haywire/Stasis is a must, then you hope you can kill most/all everything else before it wakes up. I hope you brought explosives or a reliable source of shredding though.

I was able to kill the sectopod, a spectre, both MECs, both codices and an archon in the first turn after losing concealment, but when they blew up the transmitter there were was still the andromedan, two stun lancers, two purifiers and a couple of other random advent guys still between me and the transmitter.

I think that the game just didn't want me to beat that mission.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I actually don't like it. The 'alien rulers' break the turn structure by taking an action every time any one of your units takes an action, and I find that to be way more frustrating than it is interesting strategy. The handful of weird unique weapons seem out of place from the rest of the game. The special elite alien suits made of real alien skin look very silly. The rifle that's designed to look kind of like a crossbow is overpowered - and the labored explanation that your engineers onboard their flying alien aircraft carrier can build plasma rifles and sentient robots from spare parts but can't replicate a nice magnetic rifle don't really make sense. The Ice Grenade is also overpowered, and it doesn't make sense for something to be flash-frozen with no lasting cell damage. Psionic stasis at least has the good sense to admit it's physics-busting space magic, instead of pretending to be ice.

WotC adds sneering, scheming villains, and takes the Xcom 2 resistance a couple steps closer to GI-Joe. That's also ridiculous, but it's tonally consistent with the rest of the game. Honestly I'd give Alien Hunters a pass.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Personally - I feel like WotC is the first good XCom2 DLC.

Alien Hunters is a mixed bag - but WotC fixed the worst issues with the rulers no longer showing up in random missions and making them essentially impossible.

The items it adds in my opinion are neat but also in my opinion feel extremely out of place and do not mesh with the typical soldier outfits.

The alien ruler fights are poo poo as well. The aliens break the rules of the turn based game and the fights are bullshit and I never enjoyed them.

WotC makes it better by locking the rulers away to facility raid missions and warning you that they are there negating the worst aspect of the DLC - but I still would not be able to recommend it.

StringOfLetters posted:

I actually don't like it. The 'alien rulers' break the turn structure by taking an action every time any one of your units takes an action, and I find that to be way more frustrating than it is interesting strategy. The handful of weird unique weapons seem out of place from the rest of the game. The special elite alien suits made of real alien skin look very silly. The rifle that's designed to look kind of like a crossbow is overpowered - and the labored explanation that your engineers onboard their flying alien aircraft carrier can build plasma rifles and sentient robots from spare parts but can't replicate a nice magnetic rifle don't really make sense. The Ice Grenade is also overpowered, and it doesn't make sense for something to be flash-frozen with no lasting cell damage.

I actually think the boltcaster is garbage - but the free axe toss and frost nades are OP.

All the armor is hideous and I refuse to use it. Plus odds are that by the time you get it it's outdated.

Finally, the research and build cost for all the DLC weapons and armor is a waste given that they are single issue items making them not worth bothering with.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 6, 2017

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I keep getting mid-mission crashes and a weird in-game error reporting thing. gonna play destiny 2 until there's a patch or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The beginning of the new campaign just feels so .. overwhelming. You are thrown all kinds of new stuff at you all the time, you get those Chosen, research times seem to have gone way up and now you have to deal with tiredness as well! I only just managed to get plasma grenades and 2nd tier weapons and I'm meeting those nanosuit-wearing bastards, priests and mutons in missions. (playing on Veteran). It feels like I'm constantly on the edge compared to vanilla and have to do more missions with even rookies on board than previously. The time limits on some missions especially feel brutal.