Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Godholio posted:

I guess they help a lot of dogs, but my mom's Shibu mutt doesn't care about it either way. She's actually got something like doggy prozac. Half a pill gets her through fireworks and whatever else, a full pill and she's hosed up the following morning too.

They're good, but check with your vet first as they can have bad reactions. My dog will chill through fireworks, storms, whatever -- as long as I'm there. If I'm out and a storm kicks in, I know I'm coming home to a racket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
The hurricane videos from St. Martin :stonk:

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Ottawa seeks second-hand jets from Australia amid Boeing, Bombardier dispute

quote:

The Canadian government is looking into buying second-hand fighter jets in Australia – instead of a new fleet of 18 Super Hornets – as it tries to force Boeing Co. to drop its trade dispute against Bombardier Inc., sources said.

Federal officials said the government is refusing to sign a planned multibillion-dollar contract for Super Hornets as long as Boeing pursues its complaint against Bombardier at the International Trade Commission in the United States.

A final decision to pull the plug on the Super Hornet contract has not been made, but tensions with Boeing are quickly escalating and the government is looking at all options to increase the pressure on the firm, the officials said.

A Canadian delegation travelled to Australia last month to see whether second-hand F/A-18 fighter jets, which are being placed on the market by the country's military, could fit Canada's needs for an "interim" fleet.

This seems like a Cool and Smart move that can't backfire in any way possible.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Wu-Tang album is on eBay!

http://www.businessinsider.com/martin-shkreli-selling-wu-tang-clan-album-ebay-2017-9

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

And the saga of Canadian procurement butt-fuckery sinks to a new low.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Missionary Positron posted:

Ottawa seeks second-hand jets from Australia amid Boeing, Bombardier dispute

This seems like a Cool and Smart move that can't backfire in any way possible.

They need to just fit AIM-120s to a CRJ already.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Any word if Trump will deploy mountains to combat ISIS

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

cowboy elvis posted:

Any word if Trump will deploy mountains to combat ISIS

The best mountains, Trump Mountains.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

MA-Horus posted:

And the saga of Canadian procurement butt-fuckery sinks to a new low.

Bombardier is also hilariously bad. TTC subways are way behind, KW LRT trains are way behind, NYC won't even let them bid. They're also behind in plane deliveries cause Quebec is terrible at deadlines (really good at graft though)

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Godholio posted:

I guess they help a lot of dogs, but my mom's Shibu mutt doesn't care about it either way. She's actually got something like doggy prozac. Half a pill gets her through fireworks and whatever else, a full pill and she's hosed up the following morning too.

Check with your vet, but Benadryl works well for this too.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

wildlife is going nuts around here. saw dozens of squirrels and a few deer about while i drove this morning.

ugh.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Ah, the lovely West Coast where we never have hurricanes.

Or rain for that matter.

Please send help all of the grass is dead.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
At least in Chicago, bullets and heat kill. No crazy storms.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I want to live in California, need to knock up an American girl and get my citizenship

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Let's see how evacuation plans in Florida are going

https://twitter.com/PolkCoSheriff/status/905438240278278144

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

shyduck posted:

Hurricane couldn't hit a nicer group of people

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Currently pulling poo poo into the interior of the offices lol @ us for being in a beautiful building w a view of the intercoastal I can piss ff the roof into the water

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/ananavarro/status/418459436907511808

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shyduck posted:

Eh it makes sense and you know if they did that without saying anything people would get pissed about that.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Building now putting sandbags in lobby n poo poo

Also lol they're gunna close cause they don't have insurance and will tow any cars left in garage tomorrow morning

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waroduce posted:

Building now putting sandbags in lobby n poo poo

Also lol they're gunna close cause they don't have insurance and will tow any cars left in garage tomorrow morning

Not impressed unless you have the staff manning checkpoints with .50s or being Florida crappy SKSs.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Eh it makes sense and you know if they did that without saying anything people would get pissed about that.

I can't wait to hear about a guy with a bench warrant for an unpaid ticket getting tossed into an overcrowded jail cell in the middle of a hurricane.

They don't need to be checking for warrants at shelters, just like Texas didn't need to check for the immigration status of evacuees.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Is now really the time for that? Sure, if a known wanted murderer or rapist shows up at a shelter (lol, really?), take the opportunity to arrest them. But why gunk up the works in an evacuation for what's mostly going to be sending people to jail for 30 days for unpaid tickets and other petty nonsense?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I'm all for making sure convicted sex offenders and the like don't get mixed in with a group of vulnerable people at a shelter, but actively going out of your way to arrest people with traffic warrants and other humble charge bullshit doesn't really help anyone.

Also, remember poo poo like Orleans Parish Prison during Katrina is a good example of why maybe filling up jails with non-violent offenders right before a hurricane might not be a great idea.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 6, 2017

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, I should add the I'm talking about serious misdemeanors or felonies as opposed to traffic court dickery as you all correctly bring up.

Edit: also being Florida would anyone be surprised if a sex offender or rapist turned up.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I'm going to guess that, if you have a $500 bench warrant, Deputy Smithers isn't going to drive you from the shelter through the flooded streets to County Main in the middle of a hurricane.

I know some LEO local to me got in trouble because they weren't taking people they discovered had low dollar warrants during routine contacts to jail because they didn't consider it a good use of their time.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Huh.

https://twitter.com/LisaMascaro/status/905475594569134080

Hmm.

https://twitter.com/mikedebonis/status/905474802403737600

What?

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/905475282676670469

Sorta at a loss. Potential for no shutdown, Democrats showing spine, and a debt limit patch all rolled into one.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some better context.

http://twitter.com/polkcosheriff/status/905438093527928834

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Huh, good news out of congress for once.

Anyways, the Virgin Islands is gunna have to change their name. They're going to get hosed by Irma.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm going to guess that, if you have a $500 bench warrant, Deputy Smithers isn't going to drive you from the shelter through the flooded streets to County Main in the middle of a hurricane.

I know some LEO local to me got in trouble because they weren't taking people they discovered had low dollar warrants during routine contacts to jail because they didn't consider it a good use of their time.

Yeah maybe they'll just get a baton to the jaw and chained to a toilet.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Dead Reckoning posted:

Your confidence in the rationality of the system makes me think you've never lived on the gulf coast at any point in your life

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
That's just a 3 month extension right? Not that any kind of extension isn't bad but the fact that that's the best we can expect from the legislative branch is a little disturbing.

I kinda feel the same way about DACA, Obama shouldn't have used the executive powers for it and the legislature should legislate. That he had to is a bit of an embarrassment and should be fixed. The fact that so many republicans did not want Trump to kick it to them and force them to actually support something that over 70% of the country is in favor of is hosed up.

I hate our legislature.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

So what if you don't have ID?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Huh.

https://twitter.com/LisaMascaro/status/905475594569134080

Hmm.

https://twitter.com/mikedebonis/status/905474802403737600

What?

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/905475282676670469

Sorta at a loss. Potential for no shutdown, Democrats showing spine, and a debt limit patch all rolled into one.

If I'm not mistaken, Republicans wanted to use debt ceiling/shutdown as leverage to push through tax reform, and now they've lost that, correct?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

You go to a storm shelter in Mexico. Don't complain to me about the impracticality of this or the logistics involved, thems the rules.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

death by guillotine

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

lightpole posted:

That's just a 3 month extension right? Not that any kind of extension isn't bad but the fact that that's the best we can expect from the legislative branch is a little disturbing.

I kinda feel the same way about DACA, Obama shouldn't have used the executive powers for it and the legislature should legislate. That he had to is a bit of an embarrassment and should be fixed. The fact that so many republicans did not want Trump to kick it to them and force them to actually support something that over 70% of the country is in favor of is hosed up.

I hate our legislature.

Gonna just draw a Venn diagram here of that 70% and the people who make up the hyper nationalist, ok-with-white-supremacists-and-Nazis base that still support Trump and...humm, that's odd. I didn't think you could run out of room for two entirely separate circles in a plane but one circle wants to murder the other. Don't remember this problem in geometry class.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Your confidence in the rationality of the system makes me think you've never lived on the gulf coast at any point in your life

My confidence is in the self interest of the LEO manning the doors. They aren't going to venture out into a hurricane of possibly historic strength to book someone in over their unpaid child support.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Dead Reckoning posted:

My confidence is in the self interest of the LEO manning the doors. They aren't going to venture out into a hurricane of possibly historic strength to book someone in over their unpaid child support.

Probably not, but it's still dumb to dangle the threat of being jailed (over a warrant for a non-violent offense) for seeking safety and shelter during a hurricane.

It's pretty much encouraging people to try ride out the storm on their own. Which will likely causes issues for first responders down the road when those people need rescuing or recovery.

I worked for FEMA and a state EMA, unless there's a physical safety threat, you don't do this poo poo unless you want more problems later. This kind of poo poo doesn't loving help anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
It seems like a wonderful opportunity to scare some family into not seeking shelter

• Locked thread