Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

While there are some awful GMs out there that I'm baffled as to how they remain employed, the attitude of "even though I've only seen the stuff that makes the news, have zero connection to the reality of the situation and like to feel smarter than people who do this for a living I could totally do better" leads to Trump tweeting his way to the Presidency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

While there are some awful GMs out there that I'm baffled as to how they remain employed, the attitude of "even though I've only seen the stuff that makes the news, have zero connection to the reality of the situation and like to feel smarter than people who do this for a living I could totally do better" leads to Trump tweeting his way to the Presidency.

Alright Mr. Benning, no need to take it so personally

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

MononcQc posted:

I'm a go and say I would vastly overstimate my abilities as a GM and would probably be crushed by the reality of having to deal with a bunch of early-20s millionaires blowing their money on cars, booze, and drugs getting an attitude about how and who they want to play with really loving up a monstrous amount of negotiations and contract signings. You play with a lot of people with absolutely lovely attitudes and personalities in small-town dek hockey leagues, I can't imagine what it's like when it's a bunch of young people who have always felt better that everyone on the teams around them suddenly trying to grow up in the NHL around everyone being better than them.

managing large organizations has nothing to do with people skills, all you need are charts with circles of varying sizes

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
SensChirp: The (2017-2018) Ottawa Senators are Stanley Cup Contenders

quote:

Plus a healthy Clarke MacArthur. A rejuvenated Bobby Ryan. Mark Stone back at 100%. A supporting cast that includes a now playoff-tested core of Mike Hoffman, Kyle Turris, Jean Gabriel Pageau, Derick Brassard, Freddy Claesson, Cody Ceci, Ryan Dzingel and Zack Smith. Their organizational “depth” will now include two of the organization’s seemingly NHL-ready prospects in Thomas Chabot and Colin White. Sprinkle in a handful of veterans hungry for another chance at playoff success and one of the best players on the planet in Erik Karlsson (now on TWO legs) and you have the makings of a roster that should be in the mix again this Spring.

This is a team that has learned how to win. A group that had a taste of playoff success and that will now be more motivated than ever to get back to that level. To get back to that deciding game. And to find that one goal they couldn’t in late May.

Now I’m not saying they’re favourites. And I’m certainly not saying they are concern-free heading into the 2017/2018 campaign. And if the wrong players got hurt, they could easily be closer to the bottom of the standings than the top. But looking at the rest of the Eastern Conference, the Senators have as good a chance as anyone.  The Penguins again stand out as the best in the Conference but we know we can go toe to toe against them.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I would be a better GM than Ken Holland because I know which columns aren't fancy stats, or at least I think that's why he only drafts guys over 6' tall and gives every guy from Michigan an eight-year contract with full NMC.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

JohnnyCanuck posted:

This is a team that has learned how to win. A group that had a taste of playoff success and that will now be more motivated than ever to get back to that level. To get back to that deciding game. And to find that one goal they couldn’t in late May.

Just like the 2012 Coyotes!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

Matt Zerella posted:

Jeff. Get the Duchene. Jeff pls.

He's overrated and will be expensive. Pass

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Just like the 2012 Coyotes!

ehh, we got steamrolled by the kings and then whitney and langkow left and that was that

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Every team is a Stanley Cup contender before the first game of the season is played.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

^^^ :lol:

Levitate posted:

He's overrated and will be expensive. Pass

He managed a 30 goal season with these avs. I'm sure he'll do fine on an NHL team.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Habibi posted:

Every team is a Stanley Cup contender before the first game of the season is played.

Except for the Avs and Canucks, right?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

lol

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

Yeah, the Avs have already been mathematically eliminated.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Speaking of bad management...

https://twitter.com/nhlonnbcsports/status/905463679231119360

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

xzzy posted:

I mean, statistically, they are no better or worse than any other team right now, at this point in time

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

lmao the atlantic is poo poo hth

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

JoelJoel posted:

^^^ :lol:

He managed a 30 goal season with these avs. I'm sure he'll do fine on an NHL team.

Followed it up with an 18 goal season :effort:

I don't think he's a star center, he could be a good #1, but the cost to get him is going to be real high apparently. That's the crux of the issue. He's not a guy you blow up your team or farm team to acquire IMO

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Oof. I don't think the Jets have the personnel to make the next step, but we'll see if they can improve this year.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Alright Mr. Benning, no need to take it so personally

Jim Benning has done a number of smart things since the trade deadline and I am baffled.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
The Tampa/Nashville/Washington/Florida rookie tournament this weekend got cancelled because of Irma.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Levitate posted:

Followed it up with an 18 goal season :effort:

I don't think he's a star center, he could be a good #1, but the cost to get him is going to be real high apparently. That's the crux of the issue. He's not a guy you blow up your team or farm team to acquire IMO

Ok, ok, FINE.....

They can have Marc Staal.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Huh, the words "clone Erik Karlsson" don't appear at all in this link...

Thufir
May 19, 2004

This is going to piss dumb old guys off so much

https://twitter.com/66jhosang/status/905479090760818689

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Taking ten penalties a game is a great way to keep your players rested.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Thufir posted:

I mean they're ugly as poo poo so they should piss off most people but people gonna be pissed off for other reasons

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Thufir posted:

How long until the NHL goes the route of the NFL's take on cleats and says no customization.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jovial Cow posted:

How long until the NHL goes the route of the NFL's take on cleats and says no customization.

Pretty sure you already can't, those are probably just something he had made for himself.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Jovial Cow posted:

they've got that weird branding agreement thing for equipment logos but i can see them going the way of the nba with footwear. they already do whatever within reason with goalie masks

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'm not really sold on Maurice but Chevy at least has put together a good scouting/whatever team because Scheifele/Trouba/Morrissey/Ehlers/Connor is a crazy good run at the draft (and I think Hellebuyck will end up being pretty good).

Trading the 13th to keep Enstrom was a little sketchy but their D does look pretty deep with him in it and their top 6 is going to be excellent: Ehlers/Scheifele/Laine/Connor/Little/Wheeler. If Perreault can hold together the 3rd line I think they have a very good chance at making noise this year (as long as Mason/Hellebuyck isn't a train wreck I guess).

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 6, 2017

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Levitate posted:

I mean they're ugly as poo poo so they should piss off most people but people gonna be pissed off for other reasons

Yeah I think those particular skates are ugly but I like the idea.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
gimme some yeezys with blades stuck to the bottom plz

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

PK wore custom blades at the Winter Classic and no one made fuss about it. vOv

Asides from like Therrien I'm sure.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

NHL is in a weird spot because there's already the precedent of goalie masks and I guarantee if they clamped down on players running with custom colored skates it would start a shitstorm.

So I figure as long as players keep it subtle and avoid conflicting with any advertisers the NHL has deals with they'll be fine.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Then you have chuds who freak the gently caress out when a team uses pink tape for a charity cause.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Remember when the NHL was going to stop allowing players to tuck their jerseys and IIRC fined some guys?

edit: Semin got a penalty in the pre-season for it and then basically nobody ever said anything about it again.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Didn't people give Ovechkin a ton of poo poo because he used yellow laces

Also didn't the NHL ban mirrored visors because goalies complained they couldn't see the shooters eyes or something

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

T-Bone posted:

I'm not really sold on Maurice but Chevy at least has put together a good scouting/whatever team because Scheifele/Trouba/Morrissey/Ehlers/Connor is a crazy good run at the draft (and I think Hellebuyck will end up being pretty good).

Trading the 13th to keep Enstrom was a little sketchy but their D does look pretty deep with him in it and their top 6 is going to be excellent: Ehlers/Scheifele/Laine/Connor/Little/Wheeler. If Perreault can hold together the 3rd line I think they have a very good chance at making noise this year (as long as Mason/Hellebuyck isn't a train wreck I guess).

They traded down to 24 from 13, it's not like they gave the pick straight up to Vegas. I don't get all the hand wringing about these signings, it's not like Maurice won't be fired if the team gets off to a terrible start again.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Levitate posted:

Didn't people give Ovechkin a ton of poo poo because he used yellow laces

Also didn't the NHL ban mirrored visors because goalies complained they couldn't see the shooters eyes or something

Yeah, it was Brodeur lol

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

yellowcar posted:

Yeah, it was Brodeur lol

avery did nothing wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005