Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Ol Standard Retard posted:

Sure like dice to me is complaining about the fact that an otherwise great experience is marred by then screwing the pooch on easy common sense minor issues which makes it even more funny.

Yeah, for me it's stuff like great gameplay and cool dynamic battles but then probably the most horrendous UI in any AAA game of the last 5 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Brilliant integrated sound design that enhances gameplay just by existing but a quit button that doesn't work

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Brilliant integrated sound design that enhances gameplay just by existing but a quit button that doesn't work

BF1 summed up by a single sentence. :discourse:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Yeah. I may tut about some of the small daft things they do, but seriously it's gnats on the Maharaja's elephant. They get the important poo poo right.

Ugh, my internets were making GBS threads the bed last night so I kept dropping from the game. What I saw of the new maps was amazing. And that bomber... the good HE gun is on the back, and piloting it is weird as it's in a big glass cockpit so it feels like flying a fast zeppellin. I adore how it sounds too.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
It only took most of one conquest game but fuuuuuuuck the m1903 experimental. It's pure garbage. Luckily the vetterli infantry assignment was just get 15 kills with it because if it was 50 I probably wouldn't bother. What the gently caress is the purpose of the poo poo pile? Pretty much every other gun in the game can out dps you at close range unless you have the drop on them. It's worthless at ranges longer than spitting distance and inaccurate as gently caress to boot. What a crock of poo poo.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Remember that the only way to change your loadout at launch was to actually join a match, and the fix was to make you load a weird custom server, and there's still no way to change vehicle loadouts.

Also remember that previously dice had made a firing range map that you could load and actually test out the weapons, and I'm really struggling to name another series where the interface got objectively worse in subsequent titles

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
I think the meltdown people have over their immersion being ruined by a woman in a war game was already worth my 15 bucks.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Sorry von dilsnick uhhhh I was on board to teabag wphoever was in that arty truck and it was you my bad

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K
They have a long history of bad UIs that has to be upheld.

Recall the good old days of BF1942. If you hit escape at any time during a match it reset your resolution to 16bit 800x600 from whatever it is you were running. This was so long ago everyone had CRT monitors so it would flicker black/random for a bit before the menu even showed up.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Volga River suffers from the same problem as that other big night map; it's totally flat and featureless so it devolved into rotating blobs

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I haven't liked any of the new maps for that exact reason. I've played Volga, Galicia, and Albion and they all devolved into a death blob running around point to point. Honestly I don't see myself playing any of the new maps much longer. I've played this game for 12 days so far so know all the vanilla maps like the back of my hand and know how the game flows in each of those. So I'll probably stick to what I know and keep it fresh by using the new weapons. Well if anything feels better than the Lebel.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nija posted:

They have a long history of bad UIs that has to be upheld.

Recall the good old days of BF1942. If you hit escape at any time during a match it reset your resolution to 16bit 800x600 from whatever it is you were running. This was so long ago everyone had CRT monitors so it would flicker black/random for a bit before the menu even showed up.

Don't remember that being a problem even in the Wake Island demo, but the machine gun sound getting stuck and looping endlessly did happen pretty often (and I was playing on a lovely TFT flat screen at that time - they were getting to be pretty common).

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
New maps good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDQjRLR6zy4

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Wow the first sector on Volga river Ops is some serious bullshit

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Oh cool Dice went to the effort of recording english speaking women for the Russian White Army if you turn on the 'soldiers speak my language' setting in the audio options

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

volga river is my new least favorite map, every game just devolves into rotating blobs over featureless terrain, without planes or non garbage tanks to break it up

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

volga river is my new least favorite map, every game just devolves into rotating blobs over featureless terrain, without planes or non garbage tanks to break it up

Yeah it's pretty shite, same with that awful wide open expanse Galicia. I can understand what they were going for sooooort of, the miserable futility of wide open terrain getting gradually deformed by shells and explosions. but we talked about it last night: at some point you gotta sacrifice realism for gameplay, and holy poo poo all-white terrain with dark camping spots just makes for godawful gameplay

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I'm saving my judgments until after I've played each map a few times, but I think that there is something we can all agree on about this expansion, and it is that the music owns owns owns.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Galacia is the only one I haven't played yet but I'm really looking forward to it from all of your talk of it. It sounds perfect.

I like stupid maps.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Galacia's cool and one of the prettiest maps in the game. If there was just a bit more forest area outside the no mans land part it would've been perfect

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I have different need for maps, I don't get too caught up in the meta-gameplay analysis, I just want interesting and pretty places to shoot mans while I am bad at shooting mans. My impressions after a few hours play, frustrated by terrible netcode issues (ping at 200+ constantly), is I'm mostly into these. I mean, they all get a bit samey with the snow and trees and ruined small buildings. If this was base game stuff I'd be tutting at a seeming lack of variety, but this is on top of what we already have and will probably be all the snow maps we are getting.

Honestly, the one thing I do still wish for is an all maps server. Let me go on a map rotation from western front to desert to snow and back again. These maps are bascially fine, but 6 of them in a row makes them feel more samey than they actually are, you dig? The French DLC at least had big green valley, poppy river valley, big burning hillside, and underground fort in a moonscape.

Luknow Pass: feels better now it's in full release for some reason. Dunno if it was the addition of the proper heavy bomber, but felt a bit more complete. Of course, with the map voting and the pre-release of this one map, it's never once come up for me on rotation again. The map voting, I do not like it. It took me a while for this map to click, and I'm never going to enjoy flying in it as I get disorientated to easily above that identical forest, but it's fine.

Brusilov Keep: I kind of dig this one the most, just because it actually has complete buildings to slowly get levelled across the course of a battle. The river valley in the heart of the buildings, the bridges, it's a proper little place to fight over. You can also shoot the bell in the clock tower to ring it, and that delights me.

Galicia: Actual Russian steppe. Not as open and exposed as it first appears, the land undulates a lot more than you would think, I reckon this one will grow on a lot of people over time. The vehicle restrictions will probably see more AA arty trucks being fielded so bombers will be kept in check.

Volga River: Ehh, one of the weaker ones. It just feels too big, someone said earlier it's like a daytime snowy Nivelle and that's spot on. I think it would be improved if that "chimney forest" wasn't so ruined from the get go, I love ruined buildings but this is a game where ruining them is half the fun. Imagine St Quentin scar with pre-ruined Baker's Meadow, it would suck. And that map has the elevation on one end, and greater vehicle variety.

Tsaritsyn: The cathedral is lush, that's a fun thing to fight over. Having the other two flags be so far back feels super odd though, and if you don't hold the church you have a long hike back into the battle sometimes. I would like less symmetry in the identical trench/wasteground around the thing too. That central objective is so good, but the edges are a bit annoying.

Albion: I love this one, but it's definitely a weird one. Two different behemoths, the landing craft, those two new shore cannons. It feels like a perfect setup for part of an operation aaaaand then it's not part of an operation. Wonder if it will become one as part of Turning Tides, because how could this not be in that mode is beyond me. The flow between the flags has been a bit hard to judge so far, but such a pretty little archipelago, lots of interesting individual points to fight over, it's a map I feel I want to learn because it's kinda unique in what it is doing.

I would provisonally rank them as:

Albion
Brusilov Keep
Galicia
Luknow Pass
Tsaritsyn
Volga River

While I'm here, let me just point out that I am ruining my BF1 experience by using guns that I hate, to unlock guns that I will probably never use, all because I cannot resist the lure of ticking off boxes in games. You give me service assignments and poo poo, I will service the gently caress out of them. And as fun as it is to do so, I end up spending all my time chasing these rather than actually playing the drat game. My last 40+ hours of Battlefront were the same, trying to unlock all the things because the things must be unlocked. Hi, I'm broken.

edit: oh, and I am legit pissed off that there is a codex entry for the dud club that requires 10 kills with it, but it's a puzzle piece item that I may never complete because of the lottery system. Filling out the codex has been my personal endgame, and all I had left from the base game were the 10 new elite codexes for 500 kills with specific weapons, and from the French DLC 10 kills from the cogwheel club which I am halfway to unlocking. I slowly work towards the medals (maybe one a week, and I only try to get them once because more than that is daft), but that's just a bonus. Going for the weapon dog tags, also a thing I'm slowly ticking off, even though some tags are forever out of my hands. But the codex, that was my personal jam, and now there is one that is gated by battlepack lottery bullshit.

I know I'll be the only person in the world who cares about this, but there it is and here I am.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 7, 2017

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
If you choose "Any Map" in the server browser after you've picked your game mode, does that not rotate through all the maps? I kinda assumed it did.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I was busy last night so I still haven't played Galacia but as for the others, I would rank them as follows:

Tsaritsyn
Albion
Brusilov Keep
Luknow Pass
Volga River

I need to play them more though.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Cultural Marxist posted:

If you choose "Any Map" in the server browser after you've picked your game mode, does that not rotate through all the maps? I kinda assumed it did.

it looks for any conquest map, but once you're in the game the server will only rotate through base/they shall not pass/in the name of the tsar maps, not all of them

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

it looks for any conquest map, but once you're in the game the server will only rotate through base/they shall not pass/in the name of the tsar maps, not all of them

This also upsets me god I hope they just sack up and blend them after whatever amount of time. Frankly tsnp should already be available. But what do I know I'm just regular business guy not a Video Game Business Guy

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I did not know that, thank you. It seems a bit of a shame that it doesn't cycle through all the maps. Maybe they'll add that after all the DLC is released, though I'll not be holding my breath.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Enemy hit 72

Optical Inch
Oct 26, 2002

Soiled Meat

Sorry von dilsnick uhhhh I was on board to teabag wphoever was in that arty truck and it was you my bad

It was great. I lol'd. Wasn't at all surprised that you torched my plans to arty truck snipe . Good show.

Edit - actually looked like you hesitated then were like, nah, gonna go ahead and dip the nutz

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
The MUSIC :swoon:

Parkingtigers posted:

edit: oh, and I am legit pissed off that there is a codex entry for the dud club that requires 10 kills with it, but it's a puzzle piece item that I may never complete because of the lottery system. Filling out the codex has been my personal endgame, and all I had left from the base game were the 10 new elite codexes for 500 kills with specific weapons, and from the French DLC 10 kills from the cogwheel club which I am halfway to unlocking. I slowly work towards the medals (maybe one a week, and I only try to get them once because more than that is daft), but that's just a bonus. Going for the weapon dog tags, also a thing I'm slowly ticking off, even though some tags are forever out of my hands. But the codex, that was my personal jam, and now there is one that is gated by battlepack lottery bullshit.

I know I'll be the only person in the world who cares about this, but there it is and here I am.

If it's any help, I got my heart's desire (cavalry saber) by just buying a zillion basic battlepacks when the saber piece was live (and trashing some squad boosts into scraps). Only way to beat RNG is to roll over and over and over and over

get it

:dice:roll ah hahaha ahah haaha ha ha. ha

red19fire
May 26, 2010

It's just mind boggling to think they had a serviceable battlepack/weapon system in BFH (play game, get 'money', buy the weapons/attachments you want, also there's assignments for some things) (and even BF4 to a certain extent) and completely scrapped it for: All weapon attachments are fixed, random lottery for weapon skins, ridiculous assignments.

Who has ever killed an Elite with a K-bullet?!? Also i love that they nerfed everything that you need to unlock the new guns. Drop a mortar into someone's lap, get 48 damage :dice:

Also I forgot to screencap it but i found the sperginest :spergin: that ever lived, 110/50 in assault, 100 stars with the hellriegel.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

red19fire posted:

It's just mind boggling to think they had a serviceable battlepack/weapon system in BFH (play game, get 'money', buy the weapons/attachments you want, also there's assignments for some things) (and even BF4 to a certain extent) and completely scrapped it for: All weapon attachments are fixed, random lottery for weapon skins, ridiculous assignments.

Who has ever killed an Elite with a K-bullet?!? Also i love that they nerfed everything that you need to unlock the new guns. Drop a mortar into someone's lap, get 48 damage :dice:

Also I forgot to screencap it but i found the sperginest :spergin: that ever lived, 110/50 in assault, 100 stars with the hellriegel.

K bullets are just AT rockets from a sniper rifle no problemo

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Parkingtigers posted:

While I'm here, let me just point out that I am ruining my BF1 experience by using guns that I hate, to unlock guns that I will probably never use...

...And as fun as it is to do so, I end up spending all my time chasing these rather than actually playing the drat game.

I just spent 5 loving hours trying to complete the assignment for 15 kills in a round with the Autoloading 8.35 Factory to unlock another gun. Didn't enjoy a single minute and ended the nigh a little pissed about the number of rounds that I ended with 13 or 14 kills with that lovely gun.

Focusing on assignments with crap guns is a sure way to have a bad Battlefield night.

on a positive note, the HDR support with this update is pretty awesome. i thought the game looked great before but... drat it's pretty

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Crossposting from the other thread

I loaded into a game of operations defending on Galacia last night. That map is hard to play on and in my short time playing I think I went 1-10. I loved it.

Then we went to Red Tide and oh man, were we ever a red tide. Blew through Volga River on our first attack and made it to the last set of capture points on Tsaritsyn before we had to use our second attack. It was incredible.[/b]

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

What the hell are these class perks?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Again my enthusiasm for diggity dice hits a brick wall with assignments not getting tracked. I don't even care if I have to get 100 kolibri kills while prone inside a cloud of my own fart. Just so long as it TRACKS it

I'll get multiple notifications for fulfilling the same challenge and I check the main menu and yup it's checked off great and then I leave the game and look again and nope it's not checked off any more. I swear to god :argh:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
As long as I can run around and shoot stuff and have fun they could level me backwards for all I care.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

mellowjournalism posted:

Again my enthusiasm for diggity dice hits a brick wall with assignments not getting tracked. I don't even care if I have to get 100 kolibri kills while prone inside a cloud of my own fart. Just so long as it TRACKS it

I'll get multiple notifications for fulfilling the same challenge and I check the main menu and yup it's checked off great and then I leave the game and look again and nope it's not checked off any more. I swear to god :argh:

The display is buggy but it does always track it. I noticed sometimes you have to click it again in the menu outside the game for it to refresh and your progress to update. Sometimes it doesn't accurately reflect your progress on the loading screens too if you have it tracked but it does know you've actually completed them. Unless it's the heal 10 squadmates in the second set of challenges. That's actually bugged and just not tracking.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I think I figured it out-- this time the gun assignments don't have to be done in order, but the perk ones do. I had 5/5 showing and then I redid the first task even though it was checked off and then the whole assignment flipped back to 4/5 and now it's properly showing that I'm on the last task. This is why we :dice:

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

As long as I can run around and shoot stuff and have fun they could level me backwards for all I care.

Generally if you bought premium then you probably want the new guns and thangs you paid for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

mellowjournalism posted:

I think I figured it out-- this time the gun assignments don't have to be done in order, but the perk ones do. I had 5/5 showing and then I redid the first task even though it was checked off and then the whole assignment flipped back to 4/5 and now it's properly showing that I'm on the last task. This is why we :dice:

Nah I'm absolutely certain they don't have to be done in order.