Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

It's slightly worse than when the guy from buzzfeed or something made a lovely loss edit about doughnuts.
I expect a bit more from a loss reference than just arranging several random objects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

It's slightly worse than when the guy from buzzfeed or something made a lovely loss edit about doughnuts.
I expect a bit more from a loss reference than just arranging several random objects.

Anything's a meme if you're brave enough.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Paladinus posted:

E I
I A

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/Tfu5d0D.gifv

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

"Well eexxxxxccccuuuusssseeeee meeeeeeee, Princess Lilah!"

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Isn't most of that true though?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Jastiger posted:

Isn't most of that true though?

Sure, if you remove "by scientists". Most of those were sensationalist media reports, as far as I'm aware.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

How to fight with short people

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

SpacePig posted:

Sure, if you remove "by scientists". Most of those were sensationalist media reports, as far as I'm aware.

Pretty sure it's a mix - a number of the things are overstatements, basically all of them are a thing a single person said not hard established science, and the one about the rainforests doesn't have a drat thing to do with global warming at all.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

SpacePig posted:

Yeah, I remember when NASA was studying that odd rock from Mars.
NASA: We've found a tiny structure in the rock which bears a slight resemblance to structures formed by bacteria on Earth, and while its interesting and potentially exciting it's far, far too early to draw any conclusions and there's still a lot of work to--
Papers: NASA SAY 'LIFE ON MARS! IT'S OFFICIAL!' How can YOU prepare for the INVASION?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think you mean either "Eggheads/Boffins at NASA..."

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Keep loving that chicken, Bill

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice
That did it. I don't believe in climate change anymore. Thanks meme thread.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Redpilled by PCOS Bill

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

I can't believe that famous climate scientist "Inconvenient" Al Gore got something wrong about climate change.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If climate change, how snow??

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

I don't believe either of those are true things. Like, Al Gore (not a scientist, btw) might have said something like "if we don't do anything to curb global warming, then the ice caps could be nearly melted by 2014" or some qualified statement like that, but I doubt that's a direct, contextless quote. And the NASA one sounds like an outright fabrication.

But I can't be certain about any of that. I try to keep an open mind, and I'd be especially interested in hearing good news about Arctic ice, so. . . you got any sources for any of that, champ? Or do you just have impact font garbage and political cartoons?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

DontMockMySmock posted:

I don't believe either of those are true things. Like, Al Gore (not a scientist, btw) might have said something like "if we don't do anything to curb global warming, then the ice caps could be nearly melted by 2014" or some qualified statement like that, but I doubt that's a direct, contextless quote. And the NASA one sounds like an outright fabrication.

But I can't be certain about any of that. I try to keep an open mind, and I'd be especially interested in hearing good news about Arctic ice, so. . . you got any sources for any of that, champ? Or do you just have impact font garbage and political cartoons?

He has a bad case of Being PCOS Bill.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randaconda has a new favorite as of 22:41 on Sep 6, 2017

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Less angry

Zelder has a new favorite as of 22:35 on Sep 6, 2017

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

The NASA thing is true, some regions of Antarctica gained more ice compared to other region's losses

However

quote:

But it might only take a few decades for Antarctica’s growth to reverse, according to Zwally. “If the losses of the Antarctic Peninsula and parts of West Antarctica continue to increase at the same rate they’ve been increasing for the last two decades, the losses will catch up with the long-term gain in East Antarctica in 20 or 30 years -- I don’t think there will be enough snowfall increase to offset these losses.”

And also sea levels continue to rise, so Antarctica is not freezing nearly enough to offset this

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

DontMockMySmock posted:

I know it's PCOS Bill, but it's probably not something they made themselves, so here:
http://www.snopes.com/ice-caps-melt-gore-2014/

quote:

WHAT'S TRUE
In the late 2000s, Al Gore made a series of high-profile statements suggesting the possibility that Arctic sea ice could be completely gone during the summer by around 2013 or 2014.

WHAT'S FALSE
Gore did not himself make these predictions but said (in some cases erroneously) that others had; Gore never referred to a year-long lack of ice for both poles, but instead largely referenced Arctic sea ice in the summer.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/nasa-study-mass-gains-of-antarctic-ice-sheet-greater-than-losses

quote:

According to the new analysis of satellite data, the Antarctic ice sheet showed a net gain of 112 billion tons of ice a year from 1992 to 2001. That net gain slowed to 82 billion tons of ice per year between 2003 and 2008.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

DontMockMySmock posted:

And the NASA one sounds like an outright fabrication.

Naw man, we specially sent up Cosmonaut Grigori Fartov and celebrated space-chimp Professor Bananas, and when they got up there they were all "Hey, american comrades, MORE ICE THAN EVER!"

And then everyone down at mission control started doing the $5-Foot-Longs dance.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

DontMockMySmock posted:

IIRC the area of ice was larger but the total volume of ice was still dwindling.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Meme Thread posted:

gently caress you, PCOS Bill.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Don't help PCOS Bill! It'd be much more educational for him if HE dug up the sources before I point out how the sources don't say what the meme says.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

PYF Macros & Memes Part 5: Don't get PCOS Billed

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

If his poetry is as poor as his penmanship and ink choice good riddance

in the poo poo that didn't happen thread there's a lot of stories where the writer thinks they're owning the villainous customer or w/e but it actually comes across as a serious self-own. weird

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

what happened to normal news stories

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I agree

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
https://imgur.com/gallery/oOUxB

Imgur seems to have changed. That or updating my Android to Oreo did.