Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was looking at those pictures thinking the Toymaker looked really, really familiar but couldn't put a name to him, so I googled him and it's Michael Gough. :wow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I can't believe how much hate the Toymaker has gotten in this thread! A weird relic? A silly Batman character? All of you are going to be sorry when your insults force you to wait in the jungle until your dice roll five or eight.

(Besides the complaints about the racism, which I agree with. Remove the word "celestial" IMO and definitely the robes. Also, maybe don't include the recitation of racist nursery rhymes.)

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I can't believe how much hate the Toymaker has gotten in this thread! A weird relic? A silly Batman character? All of you are going to be sorry when your insults force you to wait in the jungle until your dice roll five or eight.

(Besides the complaints about the racism, which I agree with. Remove the word "celestial" IMO and definitely the robes. Also, maybe don't include the recitation of racist nursery rhymes.)

Just keep all that bad stuff but put him in a revived Torchwood so it's mature, edgy, and adult. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
And get Nicolas Cage to play him. He was great as Fu Manchu in my favourite B-movie, Werewolf Women of the SS.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Stabbatical posted:

Just keep all that bad stuff but put him in a revived Torchwood so it's mature, edgy, and adult. :v:

The Toymaker, but uh... with Sex Twister and Strip Monopoloy! And he's in love with Owen, and maybe Owen is in love with him, but Owen is so self-destructive and broody!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
just make some other gamesmaster villain if you want a gamesmaster villain, it's clear that this story is not one anyone really wants to remember and just like the very loosest possibly concept of the villain.

and even that, in and of itself, isn't that novel a concept.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't Julian Bleach's character on Sarah Jane Adventures a game master? (I genuinely can't remember.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was looking at those pictures thinking the Toymaker looked really, really familiar but couldn't put a name to him, so I googled him and it's Michael Gough. :wow:

At first I was thinking, "Wait, did Leonard Nimoy have a lost twin," and then then the nose and eye structure hit me. drat, he showed up everywhere.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wasn't Julian Bleach's character on Sarah Jane Adventures a game master? (I genuinely can't remember.)

He was The Nightmare Man

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Enough of trying to rehab the Toymaker. Give me David Mitchell as the Meddling Monk or go to hell.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Oh come on, there's way less you can do with the Meddling Monk than the Toymaker.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

At first I was thinking, "Wait, did Leonard Nimoy have a lost twin," and then then the nose and eye structure hit me. drat, he showed up everywhere.

I confuse him with Michael Gambon. Not because they look particularly similar, just because their both Michael G.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Bicyclops posted:

Oh come on, there's way less you can do with the Meddling Monk than the Toymaker.

Have the Monk overstep his boundaries and put the universe in chaos due to an innocent prank! There's a story right there.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Have the Monk overstep his boundaries and put the universe in chaos due to an innocent prank! There's a story right there.

That's one of two things he does (the other is trying to break the Doctor's TARDIS, only to find out that the Doctor has broken his instead, thus concluding with an "I'll get youuuuuuuuuu!").

It's a good gimmick and I'd actually like to see it come back every once in awhile, but maybe like... once every two Doctors.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

That's one of two things he does (the other is trying to break the Doctor's TARDIS, only to find out that the Doctor has broken his instead, thus concluding with an "I'll get youuuuuuuuuu!").

It's a good gimmick and I'd actually like to see it come back every once in awhile, but maybe like... once every two Doctors.

You say that like he's made any appearances since 1966

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

How about once every two Two Doctors?

What I guess I'm saying is the Meddling Monk should be in the Christmas special

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I confuse him with Michael Gambon. Not because they look particularly similar, just because their both Michael G.

There's also a very prolific voice actor named Michael Gough.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

misadventurous posted:

How about once every two Two Doctors?

What I guess I'm saying is the Meddling Monk should be in the Christmas special

Oh you thought Bradley is playing the 1st Doctor?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

cargohills posted:

You say that like he's made any appearances since 1966

He's had twice as many appearances at the Toymaker, anyway!

It's hard for me to picture the Monk going up against a non-Hartnell Doctor, because I basically just picture the Master, but I get there are differences. The Monk is more plainly motivated by simple greed and his plans have an actual point other than "world domination, sort of, but mostly just sticking it to the Doctor." The polite sparring and impression of begrudging respect between the Monk and Hartnell does feels a little Delgado/Pertwee, though.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Is "celestial" a racism thing in England? Because I have gone 37 years without once hearing that be used as a slur or stereotype.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
bring back the next doctor

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

Is "celestial" a racism thing in England? Because I have gone 37 years without once hearing that be used as a slur or stereotype.

It's dated now. It's meant to convey a sort of mysticism like "the Far East." It was definitely used in England.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

He's had twice as many appearances at the Toymaker, anyway!

It's hard for me to picture the Monk going up against a non-Hartnell Doctor, because I basically just picture the Master, but I get there are differences. The Monk is more plainly motivated by simple greed and his plans have an actual point other than "world domination, sort of, but mostly just sticking it to the Doctor." The polite sparring and impression of begrudging respect between the Monk and Hartnell does feels a little Delgado/Pertwee, though.

The thing about the Monk is that he's a nuisance waiting to become a four alarm fire, and that's with the Time Lords still cleaning up mistakes and policing timelines. I think he needs (and knows he needs) someone to clean up after him, or else things will escalate so far out of control that he won't be able to hit the brakes in time.

Also, he royally hosed over Eight, so I doubt the Doctor would have time for his bullshit in the present day. I can't imagine Thirteen's memories of the death of her grandson resulting in anything but kneeing him in the groin and tossing him into a volcano on first sight.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

It's dated now. It's meant to convey a sort of mysticism like "the Far East." It was definitely used in England.

Huh. I don't think it was ever used in the US. (Or if it was, it's so long forgotten that no one would bat an eyelash.)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

Huh. I don't think it was ever used in the US. (Or if it was, it's so long forgotten that no one would bat an eyelash.)

It was used here too, but yes, definitely not commonly in our lifetimes.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
How about bringing back the Master... of the Land of Fiction? Make him responsible for the mummy/monks in the Extremis trilogy and it might even be possible to partially redeem them as characters.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Narsham posted:

How about bringing back the Master... of the Land of Fiction? Make him responsible for the mummy/monks in the Extremis trilogy and it might even be possible to partially redeem them as characters.

The Doctor thinks he's up against the Master of the Land of Fiction, but it's actually just a theme park, a la that episode where the Daleks chase him into a haunted house and he thinks its a conglomeration of human fears.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Forget all these historic villains. Bring back the slitheen. For every. Single. Episode. Of the next season. Fart jokes. More fart jokes. Constant, dizzying endless fart jokes.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Chokes McGee posted:

Same here, only just shy of 50 years. I only ever thought of it in the "of the stars" sense.

It puts the episode of Miraculous where the heroine's Chinese chef uncle makes his signature dish of "celestial soup" in a new light, though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Hahahaha! The Dalton Rassilon is so much better costumed and written than Moffats 'old man yells at cloud' version. It's amazing that Moffat managed to poo poo all over the 50th with the Zygon two parter and the wet fart of finding Gallifrey again.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

Hahahaha! The Dalton Rassilon is so much better costumed and written than Moffats 'old man yells at cloud' version.

All he really did was stand on a platform waving a Nintendo Power Glove. :shrug:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Both Rassilons are appropriate to their role. Moffat's Rassilon got up that morning and chose to wear those heavy, uncomfortable shoulder pads, and they're weighing him down. He's literally weighed down by his mistakes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One memory I have of watching part two of "The End of Time" on New Year's Day 2010 remains "Why is Rassilon a villain now?" because I hadn't listened to most of the Big Finishes with him in them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Even as far back as The Five Doctors, the show was hinting heavily that Rassilon wasn't the benevolent founder of Time Lord society that the official records depicted.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Yeah, he was a dick that killed you because you dared to come looking for his stuff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Even as far back as The Five Doctors, the show was hinting heavily that Rassilon wasn't the benevolent founder of Time Lord society that the official records depicted.

Sure, though for me that was always undercut by the First Doctor chuckling to himself about how Rassilon was wise enough to realise that immortality was a curse rather than a blessing. :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hell, in the 4th Doctor stuff where he's referred to like a near-God, we see he was also making horrific weapons of mass destruction (even if the writer's imagination didn't quite live up to the idea).

I always liked the idea that the Disintegrator Gun didn't just disintegrate you from space, but time as well, which was why it was so reviled by everybody despite seemingly just being a bog-standard gun. Then Big Finish came up with the Oubliette of Eternity idea which basically takes that concept but turns it into a device/facility as opposed to a gun.

Though of course who knows if it even works, since nobody has ever used it....

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Moffat's Rassilon was great, a tired old man with hints of power and brutality that slip out when he loses his composure. He put me in mind of a corrupt police chief.

While I'm at it, Gallifrey was brought back pretty much perfectly.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I really hope we get a handful of Gallifrey centric stories in 13's run. Do more of the "dealing with time lord bureaucracy" things, less of the "galaxy threatening crisis" things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I say this with all sincerity, and the complete understanding that any individual story might end up being great depending on context/writer.... but I hope we don't see Gallifrey or any other Time Lords beyond The Master for a long time to come.

I always find they work much better as a concept/idea than when they actually appear, outside of a few outliers.

That said, I still think their initial appearance in the show way back in The War Games is magnificent.

• Locked thread