Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

giving it a real grill makes it look like a minivan.

the interior looks nice although i'm getting a warning sign from the console orb (?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Agronox posted:

New Leaf seems decent.

Could be a nice little commuter car. Base is $29,900--after incentives that might be pretty attractive to a lot of people. Comes to the US in early 2018 they say.

http://jalopnik.com/the-2018-nissan-leaf-is-no-tesla-model-3-but-it-wont-co-1800664984

That's the kind of range/$ I've been waiting for.

Edit: What the gently caress, it's not even horribly ugly!

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Give it an unlimited subscription lease like the Ioniq and I'm all in.

I do about 30,000 miles/year, and a 150 mile range EV would work for all but 20 or so days of driving per year.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Here's a stupid question: Do you call under-the-hood of a FWD electric car the motor bay?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That sounds awful. We need a new name.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

stevobob posted:

Here's a stupid question: Do you call under-the-hood of a FWD electric car the motor bay?

It's still an engine bay.

quote:

Definition of engine

: a machine for converting any of various forms of energy into mechanical force and motion;

Steam engines get their energy from a boiler. electric engines get their energy from a battery.

People still "roll the window down" with a button, save their data on a "hard drive", have "blue" jokes, even though those are technically outdated terms.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
I like the new leaf and want to buy one

I just hope I'm not a giant ding dong and get on the ground floor on a car that would be a ton better in two years

Also every fiber of my being screams DON'T LEASE even though it might be smart to do so

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's not bad at all. I could see eventually replacing the CR-V with the combination of a Leaf for commuting and a Suburban to haul cargo.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's not bad at all. I could see eventually replacing the CR-V with the combination of a Leaf for commuting and a Suburban to haul cargo.

My wife and I are bougie and have two base level black hatchbacks (a 2012 focus and a 2013 golf), so we want to trade one in and get a leaf and have one ICE car for when we need to go more than 150 miles in one go.

Sounds like we are on the same page, dude.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

stevobob posted:

It's a frunk, just live with the stupid name.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

McStephenson posted:

My wife and I are bougie and have two base level black hatchbacks (a 2012 focus and a 2013 golf), so we want to trade one in and get a leaf and have one ICE car for when we need to go more than 150 miles in one go.

Same.

Looking to replace one of our Two Cmax Energi's with a leaf for my wife to drive on her short commute to work, and she can borrow my Energi when she has to drive longer distances once every two weeks or so.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
They add a temperature management system for the battery yet?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

McStephenson posted:

I like the new leaf and want to buy one

I just hope I'm not a giant ding dong and get on the ground floor on a car that would be a ton better in two years

Also every fiber of my being screams DON'T LEASE even though it might be smart to do so

You will lose ~50%, or $12-$13k year one. 50% of the remaining value in the next few years. The old leaf you could lease for 3 years, $2,400 down and $199 a month, that's $9,564 in 3 years, the new one will probably have a similar deal. There will probably be a lot more interesting and better electric cars in 2020 when that lease is up. Even over 5 years, $2,500 down, 60% interest, your finance payment will be twice what the lease payment should be, and you will still owe more on the car than it's worth until at least year 4.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

blugu64 posted:

They add a temperature management system for the battery yet?

Everything I saw points to it still being aircooled :/

That and the CHAdeMO charging system are the only things that worry me about getting one, but I live in SLC, so the fact that a lot of people have leafs up here means there are chargers and also I have a garage sooooo

Powershift posted:

You will lose ~50%, or $12-$13k year one. 50% of the remaining value in the next few years. The old leaf you could lease for 3 years, $2,400 down and $199 a month, that's $9,564 in 3 years, the new one will probably have a similar deal. There will probably be a lot more interesting and better electric cars in 2020 when that lease is up. Even over 5 years, $2,500 down, 60% interest, your finance payment will be twice what the lease payment should be, and you will still owe more on the car than it's worth until at least year 4.

This is all very true, and I'm with you, but I am going into this knowing that I'll run this thing as long as possible and hopefully possibly even put a new battery in it down the line if that's a thing that even happens (and who knows if they'll do it given what Nissan has learned over the last 5 years)

edit: not to just shamelessly fawn over the car, I am honestly in its market's price range, don't want to wait years for a 3 that I honestly shouldn't try to buy, and don't enjoy the looks of the Bolt.

SapientCorvid fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 6, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

IOwnCalculus posted:

F-150 + Model 3, my plan.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

McStephenson posted:

Similar situation here except we have two Mazda 3s, a 2016 which we’ll keep and a 2005 which I’d like to replace.

The difference is I think we can get away with a cheap first gen Leaf because even assuming the battery is quite degraded we only have a 30km round trip commute to deal with.

Only problem is that my partner thinks the first gen is too ugly to consider which I think is a bit silly (sure it’s ugly but who cares on a pure commuter car).

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

dissss posted:

Similar situation here except we have two Mazda 3s, a 2016 which we’ll keep and a 2005 which I’d like to replace.

The difference is I think we can get away with a cheap first gen Leaf because even assuming the battery is quite degraded we only have a 30km round trip commute to deal with.

Only problem is that my partner thinks the first gen is too ugly to consider which I think is a bit silly (sure it’s ugly but who cares on a pure commuter car).

Def go test drive one: my wife and i really enjoyed it and while the looks are take it or leave it, I've been surprised at how much I've grown to enjoy that doofy front end.

I'm absolutely tempted to do a 2017 gen 1 SL for like 15k out the door

edit: it doesn't hurt that I'm a sucker for hatchbacks

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I didn't see anybody post it, but the new Leaf has adaptive cruise / semi-autonomous driving (lane following on the freeway). Nissan's version is called ProPILOT: http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/...kusaolp00000618

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Robert Llewellyn said on Twitter the Leaf was getting a bigger battery next year. I wonder if they'll source it elsewhere. Interesting to note that the 40 kWh pack is the same size and shape (not weight I guess) as the original 24.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
why is it so hard to like a wide range of electric cars and why does someone liking electric car X mean that electric car Y is poo poo

clearly the best outcome is not a diverse range of good electric vehicles it's for my mfg du jour to WIN

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

I notice that the one facing away from us is the black-on-black color scheme so we can't tell that it still looks like one car pooping out a different car.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Powershift posted:

It's still an engine bay.

Steam engines get their energy from a boiler. electric engines get their energy from a battery.

People still "roll the window down" with a button, save their data on a "hard drive", have "blue" jokes, even though those are technically outdated terms.

If you want to be technical, a motor is any device that converts energy into motion, while an engine specifically converts heat energy into motion. Steam engine, gas engine, hydraulic motor, electric motor.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

why is it so hard to like a wide range of electric cars and why does someone liking electric car X mean that electric car Y is poo poo

clearly the best outcome is not a diverse range of good electric vehicles it's for my mfg du jour to WIN

Because MY SPORTS TEAM is THE BEST!

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I notice that the one facing away from us is the black-on-black color scheme so we can't tell that it still looks like one car pooping out a different car.

What, and take away one of it's notorious design characteristics?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

kimcicle posted:

What, and take away one of it's notorious design characteristics?

They learned nothing from the SLK-making GBS threads Ferrari California

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

An engine can be anything in physics which converts energy to work, a motor would be a subset of that. There aren't any strict definitions of engine or motor, it's just habit. But then again, strict rules in language come from formalized habits.

Anyway, here's a little vid on the Leaf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9Megx8hBBo

Looks good. Autopark seems slow but I bet they will crash less than Teslas. I wonder why it hasn't caught on more, I tried autopark on a VW Tiguan in 2008.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have a volt that we use for most of the getting around, my wife has a traverse for everything else. I almost wish I held out a little while longer for a bolt. It works out pretty well for cargo and trailering, although the hatch on the volt makes it a pretty capable hauler itself.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Ola posted:

Looks good. Autopark seems slow but I bet they will crash less than Teslas. I wonder why it hasn't caught on more, I tried autopark on a VW Tiguan in 2008.
People are lazy, and it takes less time to park it yourself than to dig through a dozen menus, find the option, and find some potential parking spot that matches the manufacturer's conditions well enough for the thing to park in 10 minutes later.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Doesn't it just offer to auto park if you put it in reverse near an eligible spot?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I have a thing for this Renault EV for some reason (ok, maybe because I've been driving a Toyota Echo for 17 trouble free years, and the Zoe looks like it ).

https://www.renault.co.uk/vehicles/new-vehicles/zoe-250.html

There's a car-share service in Indianapolis that uses them.

Decent range, decent price.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

I think it's just a fact that there aren't enough customers who both a) need to parallel park regularly and b) haven't figured out how to do it on their own yet. So it's a cool novelty, but nobody is making their purchasing decision on it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So why does the new leaf apparently weight 600 lbs more than the larger battery Tesla 3? The leaf seems smaller to me in addition to having a smaller battery, but I've not seen either in person.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

bawfuls posted:

So why does the new leaf apparently weight 600 lbs more than the larger battery Tesla 3? The leaf seems smaller to me in addition to having a smaller battery, but I've not seen either in person.

Speedometers are heavy.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I’d guess the battery itself is heavier

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Is Tesla's battery technology really so much superior that they can provide something like 50% more capacity with noticeably less weight??

I find that pretty hard to believe given the current state of battery tech

75 kWh car weighs 3,800 lbs
40 kWh car weighs 4,400 lbs

It's gotta be other poo poo in the car right?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bawfuls posted:

Where are you getting your specs? According to motor trend here http://www.motortrend.com/cars/nissan/leaf/2018/2018-nissan-leaf-first-drive-review/

Tesla says the model 3 is 3,550-3,800lbs
nissan says the leaf is 3433-3508lbs

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That makes more sense. I read 4,400 for the leaf but that being wrong would explain it

Edit: the Jalopnik piece linked on the last page said 4,400

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, nissan has said the body is 100lbs lighter, but after a heavier battery and safety features, it's 33lbs heavier than the old leaf. the old leaf was 3390lbs.

So it's 100-300lbs lighter than the model 3

also, don't read jalopnik

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I only buy EVs that are made from submarines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

The Sicilian posted:

Sorry I thought there were laws and regulations about press junkets and disclosure when something is being done as an advertisement rather than a news story.

Holy gently caress, do you want me to post a PDF of my expense report or something? We got the invite, just like electrek and everyone else. When they said "do you need us to arrange travel for you?" I said "why, no, thanks for the offer but we're paying for travel. I do need to know the hotel rate though, please." This is because on stuff like this the OEM block-books a bunch of rooms. It was $189/night for one night at the Marriott in the Ren Center, FWIW. We paid for my flight, but I did get a ride from the aiport. Stop the presses.

So, you're welcome to apologize for calling me dishonest any time you like.

• Locked thread