Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It is a bit suspicious that pretty much every bad thing that's happened to the league in the past 20 years can be traced to one of two people: Gary Bettman and Martin Brodeur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Also I think another reason the NHL banned them was because it obscured their faces for marketing reasons and made exceptions for cages for players who sustained a face injury and balaclavas for outdoor games.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

While there are some awful GMs out there that I'm baffled as to how they remain employed, the attitude of "even though I've only seen the stuff that makes the news, have zero connection to the reality of the situation and like to feel smarter than people who do this for a living I could totally do better" leads to Trump tweeting his way to the Presidency.

I unironically think 99% of SAS could do a better job of being President than Donald Trump, and I include our Canadian posters in that who have no idea how our government actually functions.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

I unironically think 99% of SAS could do a better job of being President than Donald Trump, and I include our Canadian posters in that who have no idea how our government actually functions.

The ironic part is Canadians know more about how the US government works than they do about our own.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Ginette Reno posted:

Even Canadian who have no idea how our government actually functions have a better idea of how it functions than Donald Trump.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

yellowcar posted:

The ironic part is Canadians know more about how the US government works than they do about our own.

Yeah but your PM likes to punch MPs on the parliament floor so for a country obsessed with hockey, I think you're doing ok.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

This makes zero sense.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/theScoreNHL/status/905548220108906496

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about this, but I don't hate it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I guess if you can't fix the precision issue, make nobody want to do it at all.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

shyduck posted:

I'm ok with this.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
That's fine with me. Just make them think twice about challenging and it has to cut those stupid stoppages in half at least.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
weren't GMs like all "no we like it's working as intended" when they met about the rules and that very suggestion?

I think it'll cut down on the "his skate blade was possibly vaguely off the ice a nanosecond before the puck was in the zone" calls which were the annoying ones but obvious missed calls can be easily reversed.

Wonder if the refs complained about it

Reverend Sub-Zero
Jan 11, 2008

Filladelfia Pliers

shyduck posted:

Who's the first coach to freak the hell out over a penalty from this? My money's on Laviolette.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The freakishly close calls were annoying, but I've seen a fair share where it was blatantly obvious the play was onside. They can be used as an extra timeout, really.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
who retires with more career teams played for: lee stempniak or pa parenteau

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Reverend Sub-Zero posted:

Who's the first coach to freak the hell out over a penalty from this? My money's on Laviolette.

John Tortorella posted:

Two minutes, ref? I will loving fight you. You and me. Right now. Double or nothing. Mano e maniac.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Reverend Sub-Zero posted:

Torts.

e: t:mad:t

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

shyduck posted:

It's a lovely idea. Losing your timeout is enough. You're already gambling that the NHL won't gently caress up the replay call, now a penalty will just make teams not do it, which is what they want but they are afraid to eliminate the challenge entirely.

If they were worried about calls being "too close" then have the blue line extend up like the end zone.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ElwoodCuse posted:

Losing your timeout is enough.
That's obviously not the case.

Reverend Sub-Zero
Jan 11, 2008

Filladelfia Pliers

iospace posted:

Torts.

Habibi posted:

John Tortorella posted:

Two minutes, ref? I will loving fight you. You and me. Right now. Double or nothing. Mano e maniac.

Also legit. Guy Boucher too.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Taking away the timeout after icing is loving stupid.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Levitate posted:

weren't GMs like all "no we like it's working as intended" when they met about the rules and that very suggestion?

I think it'll cut down on the "his skate blade was possibly vaguely off the ice a nanosecond before the puck was in the zone" calls which were the annoying ones but obvious missed calls can be easily reversed.

Wonder if the refs complained about it

I still don't see what was wrong with the old system: the NHL monitored goals, Toronto called if it was questionable.

Challenges were abused from day one, they were noticeably affecting the game all season, and of course it just became more obvious in the playoffs.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Offside challenge, looks onside to everyone. Refs say it isn't and award a penalty, that penalty leads to cup winning goal.

I like it.

Seriously, tho, if I was a ref I'd hate this. There's already enough pressure in them to not gently caress up. This just adds another layer of poo poo they can and will gently caress up.

As a fan I'm fine with it. Those skate hovering 1cm above the blue line let's review for 25 min calls are brutal. Plus more panties is good (even if they're dumb penalties).

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

what other stuff gets challenged anyways? goalie interference i guess

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

JoelJoel posted:

Plus more panties is good

I see...

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

corn on the cop posted:

who retires with more career teams played for: lee stempniak or pa parenteau

Stempniak gets traded at the deadline it seems like every year so I gotta give this one to him.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The whole point of replay is to get more calls right and if you are going to disincentivize that, don't loving bother having it at all

hifi posted:

what other stuff gets challenged anyways? goalie interference i guess

No one actually knows what is or isn't goalie interference, though. The only thing worse is the NFL catch rules.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

ElwoodCuse posted:

The whole point of replay is to get more calls right and if you are going to disincentivize that, don't loving bother having it at all

Cost, benefit. I'd love to have super computers to get every call right immediately. Until then, I don't like the action grinding to a halt once or twice a panty.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Jordan7hm posted:

This makes zero sense.

The party line seems to be, extending them now means it won't be hanging over everyone's heads in the locker room with your coach on a lame duck contract. If TNSE is still willing to can Maurice after a lovely start then it's a defensible move.

The problem is that they can't come out and say that so it appears that the unsuccessful head coach got a payday for no good reason. My twitter feed hasn't been this angry since the season ended.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Cheveldayoff is a lovely GM and Maurice is a lovely coach, and both should've canned at the end of the season.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Also legit. Guy Boucher too.
[/quote]

Boucher wouldn't fight you he'd drug your post game beer and then you wake up being slowly lowered into a shark tank.

Also read some summaries of team activity over the summer and completely forgot about that blockbuster Reaves deal. Ouch

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/905577473374654464

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

JoelJoel posted:

Cost, benefit. I'd love to have super computers to get every call right immediately. Until then, I don't like the action grinding to a halt once or twice a panty.

Where is this epidemic of the action grinding to a halt because of frivolous, spiteful challenges to goals? There are already limits on how much you can challenge and a negative outcome if you are wrong. Maybe have a hard countdown on the review and if they can't decide by then, call stands.

They are mad that HD cameras can now point out guys being an inch offside and this is their way of making it so no one ever challenges a goal anymore unless a guy is like 3 strides over the line.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Sorry but the "shoot for the moon" offsides call after an opponents scores a goal, or the Sullivan, is extremely annoying and losing a timeout wasn't enough of a deterrent.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Wonderllama posted:

Sorry but the "shoot for the moon" offsides call after an opponents scores a goal, or the Sullivan, is extremely annoying and losing a timeout wasn't enough of a deterrent.

It kinda owns that the Penguins won two Stanley Cups on the back of successful offsides challenges

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Wonderllama posted:

Then change the offside rule because results like that are 100% correct under the rulebook

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

FBS posted:

The party line seems to be, extending them now means it won't be hanging over everyone's heads in the locker room with your coach on a lame duck contract. If TNSE is still willing to can Maurice after a lovely start then it's a defensible move.

The problem is that they can't come out and say that so it appears that the unsuccessful head coach got a payday for no good reason. My twitter feed hasn't been this angry since the season ended.

It makes perfect sense with the leaks that Chevy signed months ago and Maurice's terms are unknown. I'd expect Maurice is just a one year extension to ensure he's not a 'lame duck' and Chevy was never going to get fired/be at any risk for his job for at least another season. The draft and develop strategy when the Jets came back was not only Chevy it was the Chevy/Chipman plan, Chipman isn't going to fire Chevy the season before it's all supposed to come together.

I expect Maurice's leash to be incredibly short this season, Chevy has to know that if he hitches his wagon to Maurice he probably won't get another chance at picking who the next coach is if Maurice stumbles and Chevy backs him all year.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

lol at people getting worked up over the offside rule

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

lol at people getting worked up over the offside rule

I just wish it was more of a judgement call. If an offsides happens and then a goal happens a minute later who gives a gently caress, y'know?

They should just disallow goals that are caused as a direct immediate (or near immediate) result of the offsides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

iospace posted:

Torts.

I want this as my avatar when it happens.

• Locked thread