Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Confused Llama posted:

Hmph. I feel like I'm being rebutted. Still think it was wrong to ask this of Yasu. Plus, then he self-satisfiedly goes and dies before the full depths of his iniquity have even been revealed to his child/grandchild. A Coward to the end, as resurgam would say.

A thing to consider:

Does Yasu in any sense benefit from being told about the incest part? Does knowing the full death of Kinzo's crimes benefit this kid, as opposed to simply believing that they are the child of a mistress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.

Rodyle posted:

A thing to consider:

Does Yasu in any sense benefit from being told about the incest part? Does knowing the full death of Kinzo's crimes benefit this kid, as opposed to simply believing that they are the child of a mistress?

That's a fair question. I was more thinking about it from the perspective that if Yasu doesn't even know everything that Kinzo is begging forgiveness for, then that forgiveness when given is plainly worthless, making it even more offensive to me that he would bother to demand it in the first place when he clearly isn't doing so in good faith, if you see what I mean. If he's deliberately withholding information that might make an offer of forgiveness less likely to be forthcoming, then it makes it painfully clear that he's looking for absolution just to make himself feel better rather than to actually make reparations for his sins. But as MonsterEnvy pointed out, Kinzo may not have been in sufficient possession of his faculties at the time to realize that Yasu didn't know the full story, so that's maybe not a fair accusation to make.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Sometimes being told 100% the truth isn't the best, to be honest. I think It's great that Sayo wasn't told.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Confused Llama posted:

That's a fair question. I was more thinking about it from the perspective that if Yasu doesn't even know everything that Kinzo is begging forgiveness for, then that forgiveness when given is plainly worthless, making it even more offensive to me that he would bother to demand it in the first place when he clearly isn't doing so in good faith, if you see what I mean. If he's deliberately withholding information that might make an offer of forgiveness less likely to be forthcoming, then it makes it painfully clear that he's looking for absolution just to make himself feel better rather than to actually make reparations for his sins. But as MonsterEnvy pointed out, Kinzo may not have been in sufficient possession of his faculties at the time to realize that Yasu didn't know the full story, so that's maybe not a fair accusation to make.
It's not really Yasu to whom Kinzo was speaking or whom Kinzo sought the forgiveness of.

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.

Rodyle posted:

It's not really Yasu to whom Kinzo was speaking or whom Kinzo sought the forgiveness of.

Um... yes. I'm well aware of that. It is, in fact, the premise that I started from.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Ashes to ashes, (a) jerk to jerky. Ol' dead Pops Ushiromiya is just going to be hanging around the mansion for a whole year, somehow in good enough condition for his body to be found in the wreckage later. Maybe Genji or Kumasawa occasionally spritz some febreeze on him to keep things fresh.

Graylien posted:

So, was Yasu actually told that her mother was her sister? All they say is 'you are Kinzo and Beatrice's child' no mention of the fact that the Beatrice they're talking about is also Kinzo's child, or the imprisonment and rape she was put through. And that is hosed up. The second Beatrice doesn't even get the justice of an identity of her own.

This is quite the thought to consider, but geez poor Beatrice II. No one knew about her life, nor really cared directly about her (Kinzo obviously doesn't count. He considered her a shell to OG Beatrice), except for Rosa. Yet even then it was only for a short time, led to her death, and Rosa regretting ever having met her. Dying without a trace upon the world just seems so bleak. :smith:

I'm ready to see how this story concludes. How things could ever recover from such a tragedy, or if they even can. Everyone on this island has been through hell. I just want to see them escape from it.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Tired Moritz posted:

Yasu barely acts like she give a poo poo. She's taking this whole "actually the secret heir" really well.

Yasu has been living in fantasies their whole life. This is just another one. Perhaps they might be a little surprised by things, but overall why would this be that much different than all the other stories?

free Trapt CD posted:

I forget: are we watching this with the 'theatre-going power'? Is this objectively true? I almost hope this is all an embellishment by Yasu, just so we can find out later that Kinzo met a more appropriate, possibly grisly end...

I think what we're watching is emotionally true. We still see the delusional stuff like the witches and demons, but that's because it's Yasu's point of view and Yasu is hosed up. I'm sure from the perspective of the narrative, all the stuff we just saw with Kinzo is what actually happened. And it fits in too well with everything else to be totally off.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I can't help but feel the tiniest bit of pity for Kinzo. The dude built his hell with his own hands, all the power and money in the world but the one thing he wants is Biche back. :smith: His actions are unforgivable but at least it was out of madness and sorrow, not malice.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

!!!

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Nice catch! :captainpop:

So 11/29 is this day in particular, but what did the other numbers refer to? Wasn't it Battler's birthday?

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
It was.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

EagerSleeper posted:

So 11/29 is this day in particular, but what did the other numbers refer to? Wasn't it Battler's birthday?

I'm pretty sure it is. I recall Battler pointed it out in one of the episodes, 2 or 3 maybe?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

When the numbers first came up in EP3 Battler pointed out that July 15th is his birthday yes.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I've been really busy the past few days (and will remain so for a week and some) so haven't had the time to comment, but apparently I was wrong on the date that it was. Probably could have figured it out had I had the chance, but...

Suffice it to say that this is one of the things I considered possible in my guess, along with Yasu killing Kinzo in self defence. Glad that Kinzo wasn't such an extreme rear end in a top hat to make the latter happen.

This is a very sedate end to chapter 7, so maybe it'll be a long tea party like episode 5.

bii
Apr 26, 2017

In the name of the moon, I will post incoherently.

PetraCore posted:

So this is a deconstruction of the orphan's ordeal trope where a fairytale orphan goes through many trials only to discover that their true parent(s) was alive all along, is powerful and wealthy, and has been watching out for them, right? Because the kind of backstory needed to make that a thing is really hosed up and also wealth doesn't actually heal the damage caused by abuse. As Kinzo is a dead example of.

YEP. That's exactly right. From a literary standpoint, it's one of the things I really adore about Umineko (and one I can't actually talk about without spoilering a whole lot of poo poo.) Most of the other things are stuff I can't talk about yet either, but I really believe Umineko is one of the great post-modernist works of the last decade.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I would've liked to see the globetrotting adventures of Little Orphan Yasu and Daddy Goldbucks.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Doc Hawkins posted:

I would've liked to see the globetrotting adventures of Little Orphan Yasu and Daddy Goldbucks.

In a much happier alternate world, sure, but imagining as is... :gonk:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

bii posted:

YEP. That's exactly right. From a literary standpoint, it's one of the things I really adore about Umineko (and one I can't actually talk about without spoilering a whole lot of poo poo.) Most of the other things are stuff I can't talk about yet either, but I really believe Umineko is one of the great post-modernist works of the last decade.

Shame that the anime aesthetic and visual novel format will make a lot of people instantly dismiss it when they'd otherwise adore it. Kinda like people's kneejerk reactions to Homestuck when there's a lot of things Homestuck really unambigiously did well and in a novel, boundary-pushing format, imo.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

EagerSleeper posted:

In a much happier alternate world, sure, but imagining as is... :gonk:

Sometimes it's just better to let sleeping seacats lie...

Graylien
Aug 12, 2013

EagerSleeper posted:

So it's both of their birthdays. Without the context it's sweet, with though, not so much.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

07151129 = Batorice 4eva

PetraCore posted:

Shame that the anime aesthetic and visual novel format will make a lot of people instantly dismiss it when they'd otherwise adore it. Kinda like people's kneejerk reactions to Homestuck when there's a lot of things Homestuck really unambigiously did well and in a novel, boundary-pushing format, imo.

Honestly I think the sort of grody character designs for the femme characters would turn off a lot of my friends who would otherwise love this. I've been pretty ehhh about that this whole time too.

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 7, 2017

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Yeah, those character designs... but if this were made into a straight up novel, I know I'd be recommending it to people. Well, maybe I shouldn't say that before the end...

But nice catch, witchcore, I'd forgotten about the PIN entirely be this point.

Tired Moritz posted:

Sometimes being told 100% the truth isn't the best, to be honest. I think It's great that Sayo wasn't told.

You're right...Yasu should never have found out, not only because she would be happier, but because the negative actions of a parent really shouldn't impact ther life of their children in any way- in an ideal world, the sins of the father would stay with the father.

But this is no ideal world... and Yasu does eventually find out. And the sad part is, no one has to tell them at all; all the evidence to put things together is already there at their fingertips. All s/he has to do is ask questions: s/he might narrow things down by asking the kindly ferryman if he recalls taking anyone else besides the family and servants to the island. S/he might ask Kumasawa to tell her the romantic story of how Kinzo and Bice met to understand the age discrepancy and question it, and she might ask Nanjo if s/he had any siblings. What they tell them- and what they hesitate to tell them- reveals the terrible truth, even as they'd like it hidden. Genji worked so hard to create the perfect fairy tale to bring Yasu back into the family, but that narrative is not perfect; it has holes... and we already know that if there is a hole in a narrative, a mystery to be solved, Yasu will not leave it alone. And Yasu has a preternaturally good ability to make connections; thinking about things might be a battle for Battler, but for Yasu, it's more of an effort to stop.

vvv "For Battler, thinking was a battle." That is a direct quote, the thread even called attention to it to snicker. And I'm not bringing it up to call Battler stupid (this time, anyway :v: ), so much as I'm drawing attention to Yasu's ability to follow patterns... which might be seen as "smart", but might also be seen as "paranoid" as well.

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 7, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Battler was in deep denial, which is foolish in its own way but hardly means he's stupid.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

witchcore ricepunk posted:

07151129 = Batorice 4eva

Honestly I think the sort of grody character designs for the femme characters would turn off a lot of my friends who would otherwise love this. I've been pretty ehhh about that this whole time too.

I love the story but when I first saw Gaap's outfit I wanted to quit reading, haha.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Mercury Hat posted:

I love the story but when I first saw Gaap's outfit I wanted to quit reading, haha.

Same but the bunny girls.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I hope you guys realize by now that in-universe Yasu is the character designer for all of them

Yasu has a fetish for leotards

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

07151129 = Batorice 4eva

What does Eva have to do with them? :v:

quote:

I think when Umineko first got popular enough for it to spawn memes on 4chan (wow, I'm really dating myself here. Please forgive me for being on 4chan), it was in that strange period of the Internet where Japanese media having young, underage characters wearing gross/pandering outfits was expected. At best, it was seen as a meme, as in "lol Japan," but most of the time it was something that you kinda had to grit your teeth and ignore because those sort of explicit designs were everywhere, leaving you with very little choices if you wanted to avoid it.

The designs were grody, but people kept talking about how good the story was so I had hoped that Umineko would at least provide something different than the usual cookie cutter anime. I was very happy to see in Shiny's lp and this one that it did. By a lot. :shobon:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

EagerSleeper posted:

I think when Umineko first got popular enough for it to spawn memes on 4chan (wow, I'm really dating myself here. Please forgive me for being on 4chan), it was in that strange period of the Internet where Japanese media having young, underage characters wearing gross/pandering outfits was expected. At best, it was seen as a meme, as in "lol Japan," but most of the time it was something that you kinda had to grit your teeth and ignore because those sort of explicit designs were everywhere, leaving you with very little choices if you wanted to avoid it.

I'm not sure that period ever really ended. Kill La Kill just came out in 2014, for instance. I guess there are more alternatives now?

I've complained about the costumes a few times, too; I do think it's a price you have to pay to get into the story. Anyone who's already familiar with anime is likely to roll their eyes at them rather than stop reading entirely, but it is going to be a barrier to exposing people to the story who don't have that reaction.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

EagerSleeper posted:

I think when Umineko first got popular enough for it to spawn memes on 4chan (wow, I'm really dating myself here. Please forgive me for being on 4chan), it was in that strange period of the Internet where Japanese media having young, underage characters wearing gross/pandering outfits was expected.

Pretty sure that "strange period" has been ongoing since way before the Internet

Well that's an exaggeration but since 80's or 90's at least

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.

tiistai posted:

I hope you guys realize by now that in-universe Yasu is the character designer for all of them

Yasu has a fetish for leotards

It's amusing to think about Yasu being kind of a perv but that isn't really a good justification for R07 creating the gratuitous and "grody" costumes. If Umineko existed in a vacuum then maybe it would be okay. But as is the designs drag the entire work down.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Reading manga and poo poo has made me more likely to drop something with those types of designs. I'm glad I stuck with this, but in general, my tolerance for gross pandering is low.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The pantless bunny girls are very important thematically MOM

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
Huh. The only outfit that seems particularly outré to me is Gaap's. The rest are just leotards with stuff on 'em, and I've worn plenty of those in my life (would have been more if I hadn't quit ballet in middle school).

Edit: Not that I don't get why people might be uncomfortable with the outfits, they just don't particularly bother me. I'm way more disturbed by Battler's obsession with his cousin's boobs.

Confused Llama fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 7, 2017

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

The solution seems to be a pants DLC. But also wow, I both love and hate that Shannon's ridiculous boobs are legitimate clues.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Battler's awful titty grab scene in Episode 1 almost solved half of the mystery.

Sunsetaware
Jun 2, 2012

And they say he's incompetent.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

DentD posted:

It's amusing to think about Yasu being kind of a perv but that isn't really a good justification for R07 creating the gratuitous and "grody" costumes. If Umineko existed in a vacuum then maybe it would be okay. But as is the designs drag the entire work down.

Oh, I didn't mean that as a justification, but I will admit that an outfit has to be quite a bit worse than a leotard for me to call it grody or repulsive; disgusting; nauseating.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

Can I just say that I'm really happy that I got all of you to say "grody"? ahaha.wav

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Can I just say that I'm really happy that I got all of you to say "grody"? ahaha.wav

Grotacious. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Is it bad to say that for all the outfits in this game, it's still Shannon's thigh window that weirds me out the most?

• Locked thread