Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Settting it up in Canada wasn't too bad, you just need to create a US App Store account to get the app. Have to always ask for your city with weather, can't purchase stuff, I think no Amazon Music. So far everything else I've tried works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

n.. posted:

Just want to say that Home Assistant + NodeMCU + MQTT is a lot of fun.

Random question, but why is Z-wave stuff so expensive? Is it a licensing thing?

You buy z-wave because you want a consistent experience. To maintain that consistency, the alliance is strong, and the fees are high.

I saw one estimate of $20k cost of entry between SDK, alliance fees and testing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

There's now an IFTTT channel for MyQ garage door opener things.

There's only an action for closing the door.

edit: because VV

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 31, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

There's no action for closing the door.

And you have to pay a monthly subscription fee to use IFTTT.

Actually I think you're wrong, according to Android Police you can only close the door, nothing else.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

Actually I think you're wrong, according to Android Police you can only close the door, nothing else.

Yeah, that's what I meant to type. I, too, read it at AP first.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That's not so bad. I'd love a smart lock that can only be locked via Z-wave, not unlocked.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Subjunctive posted:

That's not so bad. I'd love a smart lock that can only be locked via Z-wave, not unlocked.

Sitting on the couch and unlocking the door with robotic servo noises is such a power move.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, my security/convenience tradeoff might end short of that. I know my girlfriend's does.

Besides, my door is unlocked until I go to bed, usually.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I just set my garage door to automatically close every night at 10PM. I know every once in awhile I'll forget to close it. Problem solved.

FYI, it costs $1/month or $10/year. Kind of a lovely move, but also IDGAF.

I also noticed it will tie in with Google Home, don't know how long thats been around.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Z-wave deadbolts should all be encrypted, so you're decently safe.

A drill or a heavy boot is going to be the faster and easier way in regardless.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, but people will make fun of me less if it's a physical intrusion vs yelling "Hey Siri, unlock the front door" through an open window.

My back door is 7' square of glass with a toy lock, so we already know where people are coming in.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Didn’t see it mentioned here yet but Hue is going to be updating their motion sensor, wireless dimmer switch and tap light controller to be HomeKit compatible in October.

So that’s going to be awesome.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Is there a go too surveillance camera to web setup that is cheaper then nest etc? Wired is fine I got wire. Are all of them pretty much going to get pictures of me pooping onto the internet without me wanting that? I mostly just want to see the kids get home from school from at work and watch them drink my booze.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
The best part of having a smart home is not being able to turn off the lights when the internet is out. THE FUTURE IS NOW!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Fancy_Lad posted:

The best part of having a smart home is not being able to turn off the lights when the internet is out. THE FUTURE IS NOW!

It's that, or "night time thunderstorm; power went out while sleeping; wakes up to every (smart) bulb in the house turned on at 100% brightness"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My smart switches still work when the network is down, I just have to walk to them like a peasant.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

There's only an action for closing the door.

edit: because VV

Does myq work with homekit/alexa yet? They were supposed to release an upgraded smart hub at the end of July, but then that disapeared and now its a bridge but I still cant tell if its available or not, or also if I only need it or if its an addon to something else.

I would really like to buy one if only I could figure out wtf I need. My opener has a myq symbol on the side, but not myq internet so that means I need something extra but hosed if I can figure out what it is.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Subjunctive posted:

My smart switches still work when the network is down, I just have to walk to them like a peasant.

Same. Usually just a case of cycling the switches and they act as normal. Never had one turn on unless I've asked it too either.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Same. Usually just a case of cycling the switches and they act as normal. Never had one turn on unless I've asked it too either.

If you have smart bulbs instead of switches they click over to full bright after an outage until the network comes back up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah yeah I do and I think I have noticed that. It's not a biggy though. (I get a fair few outages because Florida, usually minor ones but enough to throw some things offline and make me happy I have a UPS for the computer stuff).

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

There's at least one app (hueDynamic) that will disable this "full brightness after power loss" behavior.

Masked Pumpkin
May 10, 2008

uPen posted:

If you have smart bulbs instead of switches they click over to full bright after an outage until the network comes back up.

I've been using the Milight/LimitlessLED/Easybulb (they all seem to be the same product and controller) globes, and they always remember whatever setting they were at when power comes back, whether they were switched off at the wall or by a power cut (which we get pretty often in this part of the world). I've been pretty impressed by the bulbs and controller - they're easy to set up and use, the light is great and I've yet to have any of them die on me. The only drawback I can think of is that the controller has no way of reading the state of the bulbs, so when I start doing automation that needs that I'll need to make a plan with the cameras to work out whether the lights are on or off.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Didn’t see it mentioned here yet but Hue is going to be updating their motion sensor, wireless dimmer switch and tap light controller to be HomeKit compatible in October.

So that’s going to be awesome.

Is that a hardware or software update?

Also re: Hue. The overhead lights I wanna replace are connected to a wall switch that's also a dimmer. I was thinking I'd just set the wall switch to full brightness and the software could handle the dimming but a quick search tells me they don't recommend using their bulbs in circuits with dimmers.

Is that going to be a problem?

If it is, is removing the dimmer feature be as simple as

Step 0) switch off power at main circuit breaker
Step 1) remove dimmer switch panel
Step 2) replace dimmer switch with standard on/off switch

?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Boris Galerkin posted:

If it is, is removing the dimmer feature be as simple as

Step 0) switch off power at main circuit breaker
Step 1) remove dimmer switch panel
Step 2) replace dimmer switch with standard on/off switch

?

Yes.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

eddiewalker posted:

Z-wave deadbolts should all be encrypted, so you're decently safe.

A drill or a heavy boot is going to be the faster and easier way in regardless.

Yeah it's funny, I've had this conversation with my dad 100 times. People get freaked out for some reason when it comes to smart locks and "hacking your house", but it's actually a lot easier to old school hack a house with a brick or a swift kick.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Yeah, when you have windows and bricks or regular doors and a foot no one is breaking into homes by picking your old-school lock. Smart home stuff doesn't change that.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, when you have windows and bricks or regular doors and a foot no one is breaking into homes by picking your old-school lock. Smart home stuff doesn't change that.

Both of those are pretty easy to secure. For windows the cheap options are various films that are designed to keep the window intact to security bars. If you want to spend a little more you can look at laminated glass or polycarbonate options for the windows themselves. Although I will point out that most storm windows will meet or exceed the basic standards. So if you have proper storm windows they should be fairly burglar resistant. For door frames, they make frame reinforcement kits that are pretty trivial to install. They basically add metal plates around both locks and those plates come with screws to not just secure them to the door frame but also to the studs securing the frame. Generally these things should be the absolute first thing that DIY home security money should be spent on.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Thomamelas posted:

Both of those are pretty easy to secure. For windows the cheap options are various films that are designed to keep the window intact to security bars. If you want to spend a little more you can look at laminated glass or polycarbonate options for the windows themselves. Although I will point out that most storm windows will meet or exceed the basic standards. So if you have proper storm windows they should be fairly burglar resistant. For door frames, they make frame reinforcement kits that are pretty trivial to install. They basically add metal plates around both locks and those plates come with screws to not just secure them to the door frame but also to the studs securing the frame. Generally these things should be the absolute first thing that DIY home security money should be spent on.

Yes they are, but people worrying about their house being "hacked" generally aren't doing these extra security things for their old school locks/windows.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What do insurance companies think of burglary claims resulting from someone saying "open sesame"? Do they treat them the same way as a door kicking?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Yes they are, but people worrying about their house being "hacked" generally aren't doing these extra security things for their old school locks/windows.

People almost never look at security risk correctly. This thread is full of people who spent money on camera systems before spending it on securing their home in other ways. Or spend their time fixated on the idea someone might steal their NVR and coming up with moronic Rube Goldberg backup solutions. Or they overestimate the deterrence value of cameras. And they do this because security buys are often emotional purchases. They tend to be a reflexive action in response to something. Someone up the street has a break-in. They have a kid and realize children are fragile and holy poo poo how does anyone make it to their teenage years without dying. And so buying a camera system lets them feel like they have some control.

So a lock that makes them feel less secure is probably a bad use of money. And they are right. It does add a potential layer of vulnerability for potential ease. Sure they are over stating the vulnerability quite a bit but that's what happens with every physical security vulnerability. People freaked the gently caress out about bump keys. Did knowledge of bump keys cause a surge in break ins? Nope. They got used in a couple of break-ins and then people realized a big boot can defeat multiple keyways. The 2gig wireless vulnerability was blown up but it required a $1500 piece of equipment. Security vulnerabilities are often reported to people in the most scary way possible.

To make a long rambling point, most of the home security questions in this thread are people making bad spending decisions based on emotional reactions rather than rational ones.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

What do insurance companies think of burglary claims resulting from someone saying "open sesame"? Do they treat them the same way as a door kicking?

They treat them exactly the same as burglary claims made because someone forgot to lock the door. They try to nickle and dime you over the replacement value of the items lost and then cut a check. Very few home owners insurance policies require forced entry. And something like 40% of all burglaries don't involve forced entry. They also pay out if you leave the keys in the ignition and the car is stolen. The claims adjuster might try to screw you more but that's a personal choice on their part rather than a legal one.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Thomamelas posted:

People almost never look at security risk correctly. This thread is full of people who spent money on camera systems before spending it on securing their home in other ways. Or spend their time fixated on the idea someone might steal their NVR and coming up with moronic Rube Goldberg backup solutions. Or they overestimate the deterrence value of cameras. And they do this because security buys are often emotional purchases. They tend to be a reflexive action in response to something. Someone up the street has a break-in. They have a kid and realize children are fragile and holy poo poo how does anyone make it to their teenage years without dying. And so buying a camera system lets them feel like they have some control.

So a lock that makes them feel less secure is probably a bad use of money. And they are right. It does add a potential layer of vulnerability for potential ease. Sure they are over stating the vulnerability quite a bit but that's what happens with every physical security vulnerability. People freaked the gently caress out about bump keys. Did knowledge of bump keys cause a surge in break ins? Nope. They got used in a couple of break-ins and then people realized a big boot can defeat multiple keyways. The 2gig wireless vulnerability was blown up but it required a $1500 piece of equipment. Security vulnerabilities are often reported to people in the most scary way possible.

To make a long rambling point, most of the home security questions in this thread are people making bad spending decisions based on emotional reactions rather than rational ones.

Is buying cameras less rational than buying more physical security?

I mean, in my area, I don't think I'm really concerned with preventing people from burgling my house beyond basic concerns like locking the door. I'm more concerned with being able to catch anyone who did.

To be clear, I don't doubt your general point as thats the case in way more areas than the type of security talked about ITT.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Is buying cameras less rational than buying more physical security?

I mean, in my area, I don't think I'm really concerned with preventing people from burgling my house beyond basic concerns like locking the door. I'm more concerned with being able to catch anyone who did.

To be clear, I don't doubt your general point as thats the case in way more areas than the type of security talked about ITT.

Generally cameras are the last thing for home security you want to focus on. For home users they provide forensic evidence of a crime, and should be considered as such. The belief that they deter crime doesn't hold up well in studies, and where it does reduce crime they are almost always city wide systems that improve police response. For home systems studies don't seem to show a deterrence value. So for cameras to be useful, it generally means that you have to be robbed. So money spent on hardening your home prevents a robbery. Improving the doors and windows is likely to prevent someone from breaking in. They provide the best potential return on investment. After that, a safe is a good idea for small valuables. Have one that's secured to the wall. Low end safes can be hammered open if you have time. A burglar in your house doesn't have time. So if it's secured to the wall it's not going anywhere. Alarm systems can force a response from someone. Generally the window for break ins is around 12 minutes or so. So depending on where you are, they may be helpful as a way to respond and studies do show some deterrence value with them. Catching someone with your stuff is good. Not as good as stopping them from getting in the first place but hey.

So you've done all of that and you have security budget left over. A camera system it shall be. If someone does break in, then you'll provide evidence to the cops and catch the guy! Except they probably won't do much with it. Burglary is a low priority crime. Most victims have insurance to make them whole again. Sure homeowners insurance doesn't cover the trauma of it but that's gonna be true of every victim a cop talks to. Then you have the fact that it's kind of hard crime to prosecute. If you catch the guy in mid-act then that's pretty easy. Outside of that, you need them to be staggeringly stupid. Even with an absolutely gorgeous shot of someone's face, cops are going to want more evidence. Prosecutors generally don't want any case with just one bit of evidence if they can avoid it. And lastly, the reality is that most home burglaries net under $2000.

So the arrest rate for burglary sucks rear end. The conviction rate is worse. So for a lot of users, I can make a compelling argument that they money they spent on cameras would have been better spent if they had invested it and took a small vacation with the investment afterwards. At least they'd feel better after a nice vacation. But let's say your video is the key evidence and causes the burglar to go to jail. The odds of you getting your stuff back are nil. It won't make you feel safe. Some satisfaction about putting the guy away. You have to weigh how much that is worth to you.

Having said that, cameras can be worth while if you do more advanced set up. I can use them in conjunction with an alarm system for video verification but I need to be alerted quickly. I can use two way audio to scare the living poo poo out of a burglar. But this tends to be way more set up and configuration then the average home user is going to do. It generally means lots of extra wiring and additional costs for microphones and speakers. You're going to want to move into cameras where the manufacturer doesn't break poo poo on every firmware upgrade. Generally that puts it outside the time and effort range of most DIYers. Frankly, most DIYers want the cheapest possible solution and are more buying a security blanket rather than security.

I spent years designing systems for businesses, government organizations and schools with a specialization in the later. Their needs are different and cameras can provide them with useful information. But they also generally have more resources and frankly a lot more to lose. Home users just don't. I get people's stuff is valuable to them. I have stuff and I value it highly. But the stuff I can't replace is the stuff burglars don't give a poo poo about.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Regardless of security, z-wave deadbolt and video doorbell are the two Home Automation things that have earned their keep for me.

Never carrying a house key, even on bike rides is so much luxury. Not having to pass out spare keys to family when we leave town is awesome too. "Here's a one-day code" or "ring the doorbell and I'll let you in," then having a record of when they came and how long they stayed. Worth it.

As for cameras, what I just want to play with MotionEyeOS cheap. Got a Pi Zero and a cheap cam module glued into a fake dome housing. Waiting on a power supply, but I'm only $20 deep so far

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

eddiewalker posted:

Regardless of security, z-wave deadbolt and video doorbell are the two Home Automation things that have earned their keep for me.
Can you recommend a brand for these? The deadbolt at least is something I'm interested in incorporating into our household but I have no idea how to evaluate these things other than, "well, it supports z-wave". On that note, is there a reputable place to follow z-wave news/reviews/etc...?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

IAmKale posted:

Can you recommend a brand for these? The deadbolt at least is something I'm interested in incorporating into our household but I have no idea how to evaluate these things other than, "well, it supports z-wave". On that note, is there a reputable place to follow z-wave news/reviews/etc...?

I have Schlage Zwave+keypad locks. They work well - I use the keypad a lot more than the Zwave tbh, but it is nice to have both. Auto lock is a nice feature also - impossible to forget to lock the door if it locks itself after thirty seconds (and since it’s a keypad no worries about locking yourself out.)

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

IAmKale posted:

I got a Kwikset 910 and a Ring Pro. I like both.

You want a tapered deadbolt but I think they all do that. It took a little adjustment, but the motorized lock works year round despite seasonal door swelling.

The Kwikset only has 5 buttons, but I've heard that a lot of the 10 button locks have the same number of permutations and I get a notification for every wrong entry anyway.

The nice thing about z-wave is the consistency and the fact that you can pretty well trust the feature list.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 7, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm stumped at which home automation system to get into for my security/lighting needs in my apartment.

Components needed: One door sensor, one camera, two outlet plug-ins
iPhone/Home Kit compatible/friendly
Also, if a motion sensor is part of the package, it needs to be adjustable since I have cats.

So far, the best fit I'm seeing is a Samsung SmartThings bundle with the hub, one outlet plug-in, two door sensors, and a motion sensor. However, they also have a camera thats separate that has built-in motion sensing, so I don't really need the extra door sensor or motion sensor.

Any recommendations?

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Balls. Have been using ha-bridge for my echo & harmony hub to control my Vera zwave stuff for a while now. I signed up for the Vera/alexa beta but never bothered setting it up as ha-b worked fine.

Just killed ha-bridge to set up the Vera skill now it's out of beta, seems to work fine so far. Also set up the harmony skill at the same time, and that seems like an improvement based on the set up, though not done much actual testing with Alexa yet.

But totally forgot the harmony hub/remote doesn't talk to Vera! So need to switch ha-bridge back on just for that.

Really surprising that there's nothing to let harmony hub & Vera communicate directly - well theres the hub extender, but that seems totally unnecessary and isn't widely available anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
What's the feeling on Nest cameras indoor and outdoor and garage door control? I can seem to find their app in the AppStore.

The nest labs app has 33 reviews, most negative. ...? Lol

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 10, 2017