Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What's the most realistic way to turn the United States into a multi-party system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

clammy tom

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

punk rebel ecks posted:

What's the most realistic way to turn the United States into a multi-party system?

nukes

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Has Perez even done anything lately I completely forgot about him

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

the democrats got tricked into rebuilding the south through 'bipartisanship' lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Joementum posted:

awesome that tom "the dnc chair should be a full time job" perez is taking a side gig so he can earn a bit more cash in addition to what he gets defending Obama staffer contracts

lmao

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

punk rebel ecks posted:

a civil war, give or take

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Good thread on how a "two-state solution" is something that you can't just say without considering a lot of obstacles given how deep-seated the status quo is with regards to settlements:

(I mean, obviously I want Palestinian autonomy, but this is a pretty bleak picture)

https://twitter.com/rawanabanana/status/888803966573608963

oh and those settlers? they're all batshit insane and would rather fight back against the Israeli government than give up their stolen land to Palestinians.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

loquacius posted:

I'm reading The Name Of The Wind rn and I'm at the part of the book that obviously took a bunch of cues from Harry Potter

the difference being that magic in that world is not based on genealogy and the main character gets all his deus ex machina power from being the Mary Sue in his own fanfiction of his own life, rather than having rich parents who knew a lot of important people

Even then he's still been whipped bloody within his first month of getting to Magic School

Those books are fuckin awful even if you ignore the part where the faerie queen teaches him to be really good at loving

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

anime was right posted:

almost all "this person is too anti-israel" rhetoric is an excuse to demonize leftists, when all they want is, idk, palestinians not being murdered for dumbass reasons

palestinians are just people born on the wrong side of an imaginary line

"dream"ers are just kids born on the wrong side of an imaginary line

wonder why dems only care about one of those groups
:thunk:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just read like two pages of kids bookd about magic chat and nobody fuckin mention John Bellairs

GULAGS

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

punk rebel ecks posted:

Ranked Choice Voting.

Then you have 2 groups of parties at the very least

Greater Dems and Greatest GOP, each populated by subparties of similar taste.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
The best books about a magical academy is Discworld :colbert:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ThndrShk2k posted:

Ranked Choice Voting.

Then you have 2 groups of parties at the very least

Greater Dems and Greatest GOP, each populated by subparties of similar taste.

I mean what is the most realistic option to achieve ranked based voting nationwide?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

ThndrShk2k posted:

The best books about a magical academy is Discworld :colbert:

i will always love the librarian

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

punk rebel ecks posted:

some sort of super regionalist party arising would probably be the easiest way of getting a viable congressional delegation and preventing an outright electoral college win

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

punk rebel ecks posted:

I mean what is the most realistic option to achieve ranked based voting nationwide?
Get each state to vote on it locally since voting is handled state by state.

Maine has the city of Portland doing it for mayoral elections, and a people's referendum for it to be used in all (However Maine constitution says a plurality can be a winner and the way Maine's law is written would cause some issues for only 3 of 10 positions.)

Some places have counties or introducing similar legislation for statewide considerations. Even if you live in a small town, having it be the local rule can have the movement gain more traction and move to larger scopes.

Couple quick links with more info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting_in_the_United_States
http://www.fairvote.org/new_ranked_choice_voting_in_states#2017_legislation_advancing_ranked_choice_voting

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ThndrShk2k posted:

Get each state to vote on it locally since voting is handled state by state.

Maine has the city of Portland doing it for mayoral elections, and a people's referendum for it to be used in all (However Maine constitution says a plurality can be a winner and the way Maine's law is written would cause some issues for only 3 of 10 positions.)

Some places have counties or introducing similar legislation for statewide considerations. Even if you live in a small town, having it be the local rule can have the movement gain more traction and move to larger scopes.

Couple quick links with more info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting_in_the_United_States
http://www.fairvote.org/new_ranked_choice_voting_in_states#2017_legislation_advancing_ranked_choice_voting

Good stuff. Thanks. I hope ranked choice voting becomes the next gay marriage and weed in terms of referendums.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

honestly time might be becoming ripe for a new party if the Democrats continue to fail in 2018/2020

What happened late 2013? I don't remember anymore.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Joementum posted:

awesome that tom "the dnc chair should be a full time job" perez is taking a side gig so he can earn a bit more cash in addition to what he gets defending Obama staffer contracts

what's this about

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Grondoth posted:

debt ceiling showdown I think?

no, that was late 2012

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
the Daou flame is burning so bright right now :magical:

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

punk rebel ecks posted:

Good stuff. Thanks. I hope ranked choice voting becomes the next gay marriage and weed in terms of referendums.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8XOZJkozfI

STV is pretty neat too, for representational allocation issues like Gerrymandering, which it's basically RCV + Smash three or so areas together and then send three or so (depending on areas merged) reps for the super-area, with assumedly more representational choices.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

we must all follow our Dao

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_FThlNAa-Y

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Grondoth posted:

the big issues that i recall were the problems with the obamacare rollout. both the overblown website bullshit and the real but underdiscussed problems w/r/t affordability that are baked into a private insurance system by design

it was absurd how the website being broken became a proxy for every problem with obamacare because that was the only thing republicans and the media talked about

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 04:38 on Sep 7, 2017

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Calibanibal posted:

Unironically.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Calibanibal posted:

post well, post poorly, post poo poo, but above all else :justpost:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taintrunner posted:

That's why we should push for a one state solution

the sovereign state of palestine

call it israel in hebrew and palestine in whatever other languages and it's not a loving problem just like the different origins of all the names of Germany

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Scottish Gaelic: A' Ghearmailt

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

tbh as impossible as it would be to accomplish a single state run by non-assholes is much more tenable than two states at this point imo.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Grondoth posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_in_the_United_States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_in_the_United_States

I looked through everything between October 1 and the February 1 disapproval maximum. Here are the items I see related to why people could be unhappy.
  • October 1-16: Government shutdown
  • November 19: In the largest-ever settlement with the U.S. government, banking giant JPMorgan Chase agrees to pay $13 billion and admits to making serious misrepresentations over mortgage-backed securities.
  • December 26: President Barack Obama signs the 2013 bipartisan budget deal, which successfully passed through the mostly Republican House and the mostly Democratic Senate, easing spending cuts and including a projected $85 billion in savings for the next two years.
  • January 1: Numerous provisions of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, better known as Obamacare, go into effect.
  • January 28: President Barack Obama delivers his annual State of the Union Address, focusing on, among other issues, the country's environmental policies, creating jobs and immigration reform, saying he wants 2014 to be a "year of action." Special attention is brought to Obama's willingness to circumvent the decisions of Congress should they not go forward with his plans, which some critics believe would overstep his executive powers and undermine the system of checks and balances

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 04:51 on Sep 7, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
lol as if obama would actually do anything progressive, legal or not

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

holy poo poo

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

By the end of the new Disney trilogy we're all going to look back and realize the prequels are more worthwhile as movies, since they're not just rote repetition of fanservice that mirrors the plot points of the original films.

this was always true tho

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

anime was right posted:

almost all "this person is too anti-israel" rhetoric is an excuse to demonize leftists, when all they want is, idk, palestinians not being murdered for dumbass reasons

FYI being "anti-israel" isn't a thing, and anyone who tries to push that poo poo shouldn't be allowed to participate in the federal government in any capacity.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

call it israel in hebrew and palestine in whatever other languages and it's not a loving problem just like the different origins of all the names of Germany

this ignores that israel accepts nothing less than being the new south africa

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

By the end of the new Disney trilogy we're all going to look back and realize the prequels are more worthwhile as movies, since they're not just rote repetition of fanservice that mirrors the plot points of the original films.

There was only one star wars movie that was good. It was New Hope, all the other movie fans should be gulaged.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

the Dao of posting... is a difficult path, to be sure. but as confucius once said, he who finds his Dao in the morning, dies happy in the evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

this ignores that israel accepts nothing less than being the new south africa

oh of course israel is the enemy of peace

• Locked thread