Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Let's follow Marie Antoinette's advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You decide to taste the cake. That purple peanut butter looks too weird. You are so hungry, your mouth waters when you take a big bite of the cake.

The frosting is hard, the cake is crumbly, and there is a funny aftertaste. You've definitely had better.

But chocolate is chocolate. Besides, you're starving! Your mouth is open for another bite when you hear your aunt calling your name.

Uh-oh! Your aunt's still home. You don't want to get caught in the basement! What can you do? Your eyes dart around the basement, searching for a way out.

The basement window! You hurry across the room and scramble onto the back of the sofa. By standing on your tiptoes, you can just reach the grimy windowsill. You hoist yourself up.

Luckily, the window is open. You slither through, flopping onto the grass.

Great! No one will ever know you were in the basement. Problem solved.

But then you roll over onto your back.

And face a new problem.

quote:

Your big, mean, obnoxious cousin is looming over you.

"Found you!" Barney exclaims. "Now I get to pound you!"

You leap to your feet, but it's too late. Barney grabs you by your T-shirt.

"Let me go!" you shout, but it's no use. Barney has always been the meanest bully you've ever known. For years you've dreamed of being able to beat him up.

"What's the matter, wimp?" Barney taunts. "Afraid of me?"

"No!" you exclaim. You wish you meant it.

Barney punches you in the shoulder. You know it will make things worse, but you punch back. To your surprise, Barney lets go of your T-shirt. He stumbles backward a few steps.

"Ow!" he cries. "I didn't know you could hit that hard!"

Neither did you! This could come in handy. You give Barney a karate chop in the arm.

"Stop it!" he cries. He starts to run. You can't believe it! Barney is running away from you!

Maybe this visit will be different, you think.

You figure it's safe to go back to the house. Barney probably won't bug you anymore. You take two steps and you hear a weird ripping sound. Then you trip and fall over!

What happened?

quote:

You sit up and glance down at your feet. No wonder you tripped. Your toes have burst through the front of your sneakers!

You yank off what's left of the sneakers. You wiggle your squished toes. You've heard of outgrowing shoes. But you never knew it could happen so fast!

You hurry into the house to find new shoes. You pass through the kitchen, where your aunt is packing her briefcase for work. "Why are you barefoot?" she asks.

"I think my shoes shrank," you answer. You show her the ripped sneakers.

"Perhaps you're just having a growth spurt," she offers. "You look a little taller."

Up in your room, you study yourself in the mirror. You do look bigger. Maybe even a couple of inches taller than you were yesterday.

Your shoes are all too short. You have to borrow an old stinky pair of Uncle Harvey's sneakers. They are a little too big for you, but they are comfortable. You're just tying the shoelaces when Dora sticks her head inside the room.

"I saw you in the basement," she announces. "And I'm telling!"

quote:

"I know you were down there," Dora continues in her whiny voice. "And if you won't play tea party with me, I'll tell."

Great, you think, I've been here less than a day, and I'm going to get into trouble already. Dora is such a pain.

"I don't want to play tea party!" you shout. Wow, you think, was that me? You can't believe how loud your voice has become.

Dora's eyes grow big. She actually looks afraid.

"You better not squeal on me," you command.

"Okay," Dora says. "I won't tell anybody you were in the basement." She hurries down the hall.

Getting bigger is great, you decide. Anything that makes both Barney and Dora stop bothering you is fantastic. This growth spurt happened at just the right time!

Now that you've got your cousins off your back, you decide to explore the neighborhood. As you leave the house you realize that Uncle Harvey's shoes fit really well. Too well. They aren't big anymore. Weird, you think. You must still be growing. You push the thought out of your mind.

You notice some kids playing baseball in an empty field across the street. You jog over to them.

Then you hear, "Get out of here, shrimp!" Barney is glaring at you from center field.

If you stand up to Barney and join the game, turn to PAGE 26.

If you try to avoid him, turn to PAGE 89.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Stand up to him.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

HULK SMASH PUNY BALL!

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Barney has no idea what he's messing with. Join anyway.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
We are the Superman now, we will not be denied baseball.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You glare across the ballfield at Barney. You aren't going to let him keep you from joining the game.

You're in luck - you won't have to fight him.

"Wait a minute, Barney," says a chubby kid with blond hair. "This new kid isn't a shrimp. Come on," he tells you. "You can be on our team." You stick your tongue out at Barney and join the other team. You just hope they don't hate you when they discover the terrible truth.

You're the strike-out champ.

"Come on, kid," the chubby boy says. "You're up.

You'll give it your best shot. You take the bat and step up to the plate. You gaze at the pitcher, a mean-looking red-haired girl. You grip the bat tightly and wait for the pitch.

"Strike one!" cries the umpire.

You can't strike out, you think. Not with Barney's beady eyes trained on you. You concentrate on your next swing.

The pitcher zooms a fastball at you.

quote:

You hear the sharp CRACK! as the bat connects with the ball. Then you watch, amazed, as the ball takes off, high in the air, clear across the field.

"Home run!" some of the kids shout.

You notice Barney's mouth drop open.

You don't move from the plate. You stare as the ball continues straight toward a house on the next block. You watch in disbelief as the ball smashes right through the enormous front window.

You don't even care that you broke the window. This was your first home run ever! As you round the bases your teammates cheer. Even Barney looks impressed.

You feel great. Until you hear the unmistakable sound of police sirens.

Headed your way.

quote:

You glance down the street. A police car is speeding toward the ballfield. Its red lights blink and its siren wails.

"You're in big trouble now!" Barney calls. Without looking back, he dashes away. Thanks a lot, cousin, you think. He disappears in the distance.

"It wasn't your fault," the red-haired pitcher says. "It was just a great hit."

"You'd better get out of here fast," another player suggests.

You don't know what to do. You didn't mean to break the window. But will the police believe you? What will you do? Maybe you'd better hide until they go away.

If you wait for the police and confess, turn to PAGE 73.

If you run and hide, race to PAGE 4.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

There is no way that siren is for us. How the gently caress did they even hear it? Anyway we should stay and see if Goosebumps has the balls to include police brutality.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
These are my confessions
Just when I thought I had all I could take
I got super strength from eating a cake

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think we should stick around, but only because past experience has taught me that there's definitely a mind controlling cake troll around here somewhere and I think we'd be safest in custody.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Blockhouse posted:

These are my confessions

This

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

I admit it! I broke the window!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Blockhouse posted:

These are my confessions

like a hurt, lost, and blinded wolf
trolls
oh no i ate smart o's
now i've said too much

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Hang on, we're eating a slice of cake and getting bigger from it? Are we going to find a mushroom later that will make us tiny? Are we all going mad?!

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Stay

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

BioEnchanted posted:

Hang on, we're eating a slice of cake and getting bigger from it? Are we going to find a mushroom later that will make us tiny? Are we all going mad?!

Yeah, I was going to say, I think we're in for some Alice in Wonderland shenanigans. But I'm wondering if the cover of the book is meant to imply that the peanut butter stuff would have shrunk us. By the way, are we still growing, or are we stable as Superkid?

And I think we should stay and confess.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Oh, you can't help that.

We're all mad here.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You've decided to tell the police what happened.

The police car pulls up. Two blue-uniformed officers climb out. "We're here about the broken window," the taller one says. "Did any of you kids see who did it?"

The other kids look down at the ground. The red-haired pitcher scuffs her foot in the dirt.

"I did it," you announce, stepping forward. "But it was an accident. It was my very first home run." The officer studies you for a minute. "How old are you, kid?" she asks.

You tell her and she looks surprised. "You're awfully big for your age," she says. "You'd better be careful. You don't know your own strength."

"I'll be careful from now on, officer," you promise.

"We'll let you go this time," she says, getting into the car. "Since it was your first homer." She winks at you.

What a relief! You watch the patrol car drive off.

"Come by and play tomorrow," the red-haired pitcher calls after you as the game breaks up.

You return to your relatives' house, and you notice something very strange. The porch roof is at least two inches closer to your head than it was when you left.

Is this really only a growth spurt? you wonder.

quote:

You try to think of any possible reason you could suddenly start growing. You think back over everything you've done for the past twenty-four hours. You still haven't figured out an answer when you enter the kitchen.

Dora and Barney are making sandwiches in the kitchen. You are really hungry now. Along with everything else, your appetite has also grown. But when you reach for the tuna fish, Barney stops you. "You ought to go on a diet, wimp," he tells you. "You're getting fat - or haven't you noticed?"

Dora giggles obnoxiously.

You know perfectly well that you're not fat - you're just big. Big and hungry!

Then you remember something. You were very hungry when you were hiding in the basement. Hungry enough to eat that stale chocolate cake. Maybe there was some ingredient in the cake that is making you grow. It did taste kind of funny.

If you find out what was in the cake, you should be able to figure out how to stop growing!

quote:

You race down to the basement and open the refrigerator. The empty cake box is still sitting next to the jar of purple goop. You examine the cake box but there is no list of ingredients, just the name of the bakery. Frustrated, you shove the box back onto the shelf. The purple-peanut-butter jar rattles.

Then you have a crazy thought. If the cake made you grow, could the peanut butter make you shrink? It worked for Alice in Alice in Wonderland. Some food made her big, some food made her small.
You might as well try. You grab the jar and take a big spoonful of the stuff and swallow it. It tastes AWFUL! It's like a combination of brussels sprouts and liver. You force yourself to swallow all the goop in the jar. Will you shrink?

You feel an odd tingling sensation all over your body.

It's working! you think. I'm getting smaller!

But then something bumps your head. You glance up to see the ceiling - an inch from your nose. What's going on?

The refrigerator is far below you. All the furniture looks as if it belongs in a dollhouse. Somehow, you've grown another two feet! The purple goop didn't make you shrink after all! Instead, it made you grow even faster! You're so big now you might not even be able to get out of the basement!

quote:

You peer up the stairs. The basement door leading to the kitchen is so small. Will you be able to fit through it?

You start up the stairs, hoping to make it to the top before you are too big to get through the door.

SMASH! Your foot crashes through the bottom step. They're just old and rickety, you tell yourself. You lift up your other foot and place it on the next step. CRASH!

The stairs won't work. You glance around the basement. You've got to get out before you're trapped inside. You have to move fast - you're still growing!

You notice a window. It will be a tight squeeze, but it's your only hope. You pull open the window. You're so big now you accidentally rip it out of its frame. Pieces of wood and glass fly everywhere. You start to climb through.

You don't really fit. But you're already halfway out. You refuse to give up now. You can hear the house ripping and tearing as you push your way through. Broken pipes spurt water. Torn wood scrapes your skin.

At last, you fall onto the lawn. You glance up to see a huge hole in the wall where the basement window used to be.

And then you hear a piercing scream.

quote:

Dora is shrieking and staring at you in horror.

"Dora - " you say. "It's me, your cousin!"

But you're so big she doesn't even recognize you. And you can tell you're still growing.

"Help!" she screams. "Help! It's a mutant alien!"

You pull yourself to your feet. Maybe if she can see all of you she'll know who you are. As you stand, your hair brushes the treetops. Dora looks very small standing in the yard beneath you.

And now Barney runs out of the house.

"Call the police!" Dora screams. "There's a mutant alien in our backyard!"

Barney takes one look at you and turns white. He spins around and heads for the house.

He's going to call the police! They've already been called about you once. If they come again, you'll be in so much trouble you'll never her out of it. You've got to stop Barney. But how?

Grab him and try to explain? Turn to PAGE 6.

Or throw something in his path on PAGE 83.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Grab Barney, he has it coming

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Throw something at Barney, he has it coming

Dybael
Jul 11, 2017
No explanations. Own your newfound status as a giant mutant alien and wreck poo poo.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
choo choo goes the railroad

let's grab him

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

We don't owe this poo poo anything, let alone an explanation

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
If they'd thought of it they could have described the "Peanut Butter" as a monster blood cameo - not calling it that, just matching the description would have worked and been a cool cameo for the fans. All they'd need to change would be the colour.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Let's go full King Kong and grab him

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

We're tied, so next vote gets it.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Grab him.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You want to try to talk to Barney. You watch him race for the house.

"Stop!" you shout. The sound of your voice makes the entire yard shake.

You pick Barney up in your hand. He screams in terror.

"No!" he yells. "No! Put me down! Please put me down!"

You've never seen him so scared before. You've never seen anyone so scared before! He really thinks you're a mutant alien!

"Please," he repeats, sobbing. "I'll do anything you say. Just don't hurt me."

Your face is too big for him to recognize. Barney has always been so nasty to you that you can't resist scaring him a little more.

You lift him even higher, until his toes dangle above the treetops. He kicks and screams even louder.

"Put me down!" he yells. "Please, please put me down!"

"Not yet!" you thunder. Then you bring him, squirming and crying, level with your face. "You puny human," you tell him. "I could smash you like a bug in a second. But I'll let you live on one condition."

quote:

"What's the condition?" Barney sobs. "I'll do anything you say. Anything at all."

"First," you say, "you have to promise not to call the police."

"I promise," Barney cries.

"You must also promise that from now on you'll be nice to your cousin. You'll share your bike and all your toys. And you'll never pound anyone ever again."

"I promise," Barney gulps.

"Very well," you announce. "You may live."

You prepare to set him down when your whole body suddenly begins to feel warm. It feels almost as if -

Uh-oh.

quote:

The warm feeling spreads through your whole body. Your muscles tingle and the ground starts shaking. You hear a low rumbling sound.

Now the tree branches begin to whip past your face.

You glance up to see that the trees are once again over your head. The growth formula has finally worn off! You're back to your normal size!

Unfortunately, your hands are still gripping Barney's shoulders. Barney's mouth and eyes are open wide. He looks as if he's in shock. But as soon as you let go, he glares at you. He is angrier and meaner-looking than you've ever seen him.

"YOU!" Barney shouts. "The alien was just shrimpy stupid you!"

You take a baby step backward. "Uh, Barney..." you begin.

He doesn't let you finish.

"What was that about a promise, wimp?" he snarls.

"Uh... nothing," you reply, starting to back away faster.

"How's this for a promise, cuz," he sneers. "I promise to pound you!"

You're glad to be small again. But you wish the formula had lasted just a little bit longer. At least long enough to have escaped from Barney.

Oh, well. It looks like your chance to get even with Barney has come to an

END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Returned to normal size just in time to get beaten up by Barney.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Eat the purple peanut butter.
  • Avoid Barney at the baseball game.
  • Run from the police.
  • Throw something in Barney's path.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Our face is too large for him to recognize? Even in the realm of children's literature that makes no sense.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

What a gentle bad ending. That combined with the cops being totally benevolent makes me think maybe this ghostwriter is taking a light touch on the whole "bad things happening to children" front. Let's try throwing something.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Run from the cops.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Throw poo poo

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You've got to stop Barney. You are now so big you're afraid if you grab him, you'll squash him. You have to act quickly - he's almost at the door.

You reach out and grab the first thing your hand touches. Unfortunately, it's the roof on the neighbor's house.

With a hideous CRACK! the roof rips loose from the house. Bricks and roofing shingles scatter like falling leaves. You've opened the house up like a box. You stare at the roof in your hand. Shocked, you peer into the house.

From inside, the neighbors stare up at you. They were eating lunch. Now they're screaming in terror.

"It's a monster!" the father of the family shouts.

"It's an alien!" his wife screams.

"Alien! Alien!" his daughters shriek.

"No - wait!" you cry. But your voice is so loud what's left of their house shakes. The family rushes out to the street.

You search for Barney, but he's disappeared. He's probably gone for the police. You feel terrible. Maybe you can fix the damage you've caused. You kneel down beside the house and carefully set the roof back in place. Unfortunately, parts of it seem to be missing. You glance around the yard for the missing pieces.

Then you hear an angry growl.

quote:

The growling turns to a nasty snarl. You feel a stinging on your ankle. You glance down to see the neighbor's dog, a rottweiler, attacking you. You're so huge it's like being attacked by a cricket.

You ignore the dog. You find more pieces of the roof and try to place them on the house.

There are still pieces missing, but it doesn't look so bad now. You dust your hands off and stand up. But now you hear a new sound behind you.

You turn around to see dozens of people approaching. They're holding golf clubs, kitchen knives, brooms, and shovels. They look frightened but determined.

Not good.

"Hi," you say, trying to sound friendly. "I'm sorry I wrecked your roof. It's almost as good as new now."

The man whose roof you damaged shakes his fist at you. He holds a garbage-can lid like a shield. "This is the alien!" he yells to the others, pointing at you. "That's the alien that destroyed my house!"

The others shriek and shake their weapons at you. "Get out of here, alien!" they shout. "Get out and don't come back!"

Maybe that's not such a bad idea. You're not sure where to go. But you're definitely not welcome here.

quote:

You turn around and start for the highway.

You have to be very careful where you put your feet - whoops! There went someone's bicycle. CRUNCH! You've just flattened Uncle Harvey's car!

You just hope you don't accidentally crush a person or animal.

You step carefully over a parked van. The neighborhood still rings with terrified shouts: "ALIEN! ALIEN!"

You can't wait to get away!

Once you reach the main roadway, you take off. CRASH! Cars collide behind you - but you have to keep going. Then you hear a frightening sound: sirens.

Lots of sirens.

Someone in your uncle's neighborhood has called the police. You are in big trouble now. And if your neighbors won't listen to you, will the police?

You see flashing lights in the distance as the emergency vehicles race toward you. Above them helicopters buzz like angry hornets.

It's an all-out attack! Where can you go? What can you do?

And then you see it - one of the few places in the world where you might be able to hide until you return to your normal size.

quote:

It's a circus!

There will be people of all sizes at the circus, you figure. And the big top is large enough to cover you, and there are several smaller tents besides. You're sure you could fit inside any one of them.

You leave the highway and start running through a field. You frighten several horses and half a herd of cattle, but then you safely reach the circus grounds.

But you are still being hunted.

The police cars and helicopters aren't far behind. Quick! Which tent will you enter?

The big top? Turn to PAGE 38.

Or enter the sideshow tents on PAGE 130.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Returned to normal size just in time to get beaten up by Barney.

Achievements
None yet.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Perhaps if we hide in the Sideshow tents we can avoid all this ballyhoo.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Goosebump logic suggests we will be abducted by the circus if we enter the freak show, so big top

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Next vote gets it.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Welcome to the big show.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You quickly duck inside the big top. It's incredibly noisy. You hear clapping, laughing, and the roars of wild animals in the ring. Even though you're gigantic, no one notices you at first. They're too busy watching the circus.

In the center ring, a man dressed in white is surrounded by five tigers. The tigers sit on colorful stands. The man is making them do tricks. While you watch, a tiger jumps through a flaming hoop.

The crowd applauds. The man in white makes the tiger bow. But then, instead of returning to its stand, the tiger rushes out of the ring.

And it is running straight toward you!

quote:

You take a step back, but the tiger bounds up to you. Its lips twist in a snarl and its teeth glisten in the bright lights.

"Aaaaaarrrggghh!" The piercing sound of your scream even shocks you. The tiger freezes mid-pounce. The crowd stares at you. You forgot how loud your voice is, now that you are a giant.

The tiger backs away, and then, with its tail between its legs, skulks back to the ring.

"I'm sorry, kitty," you call to the frightened animal.

You didn't mean to scare it. And you realize that now that you are huge, the tigers couldn't really hurt you. As you stride to the center of the ring, all the tigers cower. Even the trainer looks a little nervous. You reach out to the tiger and scratch it under its chin. Then it starts to rub against your legs like a kitten. It's purring!

The crowd begins applauding and cheering. But the tiger trainer just glares at you.

"Nice kitty," you tell the tiger. You kneel down and pet the beautiful animal. You notice the tiger trainer is still glaring at you. Oooops - it finally dawns on you - you've interrupted his performance. You better get out of the ring. You straighten back up and turn to go.

Yeowch! Something just yanked your hair - hard!

quote:

You glance up to see a woman dressed in a silver bathing suit. She's hanging upside down from a high wire. One end of the wire is caught in your hair!

"Hey!" she shouts at you. "Get out of my act!"

"I'm sorry - " you apologize. "I didn't mean to bother you." You reach up and untangle the wire from your hair. The crowd goes wild. They're applauding you. You smile at them and bow.

"Here comes the owner!" the tiger trainer declares. "You're in big trouble now!"

You peer down to see a small, fat man in a clown suit approaching. He has a white face with two huge black eyes and a bright pink nose.

"I'm sorry," you stammer, bending over to talk to him. "I didn't mean to ruin the circus. I only came here - "

"Ruin it?" the man cuts you off. "Are you kidding? This is the best act we've had in years! How did you get so big? How did you get the tigers to like you so much?"

"I can't really explain," you reply. "It all started - "

"Never mind!" the clown interrupts again. "I want to hire you! When can you start?"

Think quickly! The circus is a great place to hide out. But do you really want to spend the rest of your life here?

If you join the circus, turn to PAGE 113.

If you say no thanks, go to PAGE 118.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Returned to normal size just in time to get beaten up by Barney.

Achievements
None yet.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

How could we not join the circus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Running away to join the circus is still a thing kids do, right?