Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

This is a solid bridge deal.

A Typical Goon posted:

It makes perfect sense with the leaks that Chevy signed months ago and Maurice's terms are unknown. I'd expect Maurice is just a one year extension to ensure he's not a 'lame duck' and Chevy was never going to get fired/be at any risk for his job for at least another season. The draft and develop strategy when the Jets came back was not only Chevy it was the Chevy/Chipman plan, Chipman isn't going to fire Chevy the season before it's all supposed to come together.

I expect Maurice's leash to be incredibly short this season, Chevy has to know that if he hitches his wagon to Maurice he probably won't get another chance at picking who the next coach is if Maurice stumbles and Chevy backs him all year.

Chevy shouldn't get another chance at hiring another coach. He's the 10th most tenured GM and in his time at the helm they've made the playoffs once and won a total of 0 playoff games, and while the future is bright, it honestly feels like we've been saying that for a while about Winnipeg. I get that he's a family friend or something, but gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Ginette Reno posted:

I just wish it was more of a judgement call. If an offsides happens and then a goal happens a minute later who gives a gently caress, y'know?

They should just disallow goals that are caused as a direct immediate (or near immediate) result of the offsides.

This is how I feel too. If somebody comes in offside and scores immeadiately it shouldn't count. But if it goes behind the net, to the half wall, to the point, to the front of the net, back to the point and the goes in 90 seconds later, gently caress it, count that poo poo.

Also offside reviews take too loving long and slow things down.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Offside Challenge Pandora's Box probably never would have been opened if the linesman would have called Briere offside vs Pens in 2012.

drat, that was terrible.

In case you forgot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjKdpanE4aI

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

This is a solid bridge deal.

Chevy shouldn't get another chance at hiring another coach. He's the 10th most tenured GM and in his time at the helm they've made the playoffs once and won a total of 0 playoff games, and while the future is bright, it honestly feels like we've been saying that for a while about Winnipeg. I get that he's a family friend or something, but gently caress.

The Jets were probably in the worst position in the league when he took over, they had an awful prospect pool and like 6 legitimate NHL talents on the roster. He's built the team on the fly and never really tanked and I think he's done pretty good work with the draft and free agency at least. Chevy deserves a chance at seeing what the team he built can do, if the Jets are awful again then he'll probably be out soon, I don't really expect that to happen though the Jets to me have a very solid roster

Ehlers - Scheifele - Laine
Connor -Little - Wheeler
Perreault - Lowry - Armia
Hendricks - Copp - Dano

Morrissey - Trouba
Kulikov - Byfuglien
Enstrom - Myers

Mason
Hellebuyck

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

.Spec posted:

Stempniak gets traded at the deadline it seems like every year so I gotta give this one to him.

No kidding. I always want the Pens to nab him up for scraps and looking on his wiki page I see that he already did in the 13-14 season and I just have zero memory of this for some reason.

Also that Bennett contract is really good.

And those Jets lines look really good, too. Shame that Myers never got his rookie form back. I imagine he'll be taking a major pay cut if he wants to stick around in 2 years.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 7, 2017

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

A Typical Goon posted:

The Jets were probably in the worst position in the league when he took over, they had an awful prospect pool and like 6 legitimate NHL talents on the roster. He's built the team on the fly and never really tanked and I think he's done pretty good work with the draft and free agency at least. Chevy deserves a chance at seeing what the team he built can do, if the Jets are awful again then he'll probably be out soon, I don't really expect that to happen though the Jets to me have a very solid roster

Connor -Little - Wheeler
Hendricks - Copp - Dano

Morrissey - Trouba
Kulikov - Byfuglien
Enstrom - Myers

Mason
Hellebuyck

You really think that goaltending is getting the Jets anywhere?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Krime posted:

Offside Challenge Pandora's Box probably never would have been opened if the linesman would have called Briere offside vs Pens in 2012.

drat, that was terrible.

In case you forgot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjKdpanE4aI

lol at Orpik

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mason helps the Jets in goal but that's a tough job for any goalie when you're on the penalty kill all loving game

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I'll trade you one shiny Jimmy Howard for one Kyle Connor or Jacob Trouba

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

I think the jets look ok on paper but yeah a lot of their success will depend on which Mason shows up this season

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Levitate posted:

lol at Orpik

I thought the same thing.

:lol: Washington giving him that contract.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
If a play is just a hair offside and nobody notices at first, does it really make a difference to the play? (I say no)

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

I really get peeved at the plays that were "offside" 45 seconds prior, then a team scores and gets it called back.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Two inches on or offside is such a minor factor in the game it should never be reviewable. Let the refs call it as they see it and move on with life because if you get scored on I guarantee the fuckup was somewhere else on the ice and you just looking for excuses.

Then pay attention to poo poo that actually makes the game stupid, like defensive zone delay of game or defensive interference on a dump in.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ginette Reno posted:

It kinda owns that the Penguins won two Stanley Cups on the back of successful offsides challenges

Gonna go on a limb and say incorrect, it does not own in any way.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Change the goddamned offside calls to plane of the blueline and not the skate having contact on the ice. I know this is reversing like 100 years of tradition or some poo poo but it would make offsides challenges about 10 million times faster.

Reverend Sub-Zero
Jan 11, 2008

Filladelfia Pliers

Krime posted:

I thought the same thing.

:lol: Washington giving him that contract.

Which is the worse contract: Brooks Orpik or Andrew MacDonald?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Orpik, and the MacDonald contract was horrendous.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Abolish the Coach's Challenge. NHL can't even get those reviews right half the time, so why even bother having them.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

The NHL should have another work stoppage and maintain it until Ken Holland is no longer employed

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

A Typical Goon posted:

Connor -Little - Wheeler
Hendricks - Copp - Dano

Morrissey - Trouba
Kulikov - Byfuglien
Enstrom - Myers

Mason
Hellebuyck

I really dig this roster. Goaltending leaves something to be desired but who loving cares about goaltending. Hopefully they stink bad out of the gate and Maurice gets the boot in favour of like literally anyone else real quick.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

grack posted:

You really think that goaltending is getting the Jets anywhere?

The Jets with average goaltending probably would have made the playoffs 2 or 3 more times, I think Mason can give them .915 goaltending and that's all they'll need

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Being in the Central doesn't help much either.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It doesn't matter who's in goal when you're taking 10+ penalty minutes per game while having a bottom third PK.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

xzzy posted:

=Then pay attention to poo poo that actually makes the game stupid, like defensive zone delay of game or defensive interference on a dump in.

Holy loving poo poo yes. That horseshit pisses me off. Every team does it, and it loving sucks offense out of the game like nobody's business.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

JoelJoel posted:

Being in the Central doesn't help much either.

Ya, the Jets look fine to me on paper but I don't see them being a playoff team just because of the division. Mason probably helps, maybe Laine becomes a 50 goal scorer, and maybe Connor turns out to be a star too, but that's a lot of maybes and right now the only team they're clearly better than in that division is Colorado. I'd say Winnipeg probably falls somewhere in the 4-6 range for that division and that's tough when a max of 5 teams could make the playoffs, especially since the Pacific has been getting better as well making "The Central sends 5 teams every year" less of a guarantee.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

Change the goddamned offside calls to plane of the blueline and not the skate having contact on the ice. I know this is reversing like 100 years of tradition or some poo poo but it would make offsides challenges about 10 million times faster.

I have no idea why people are in favour of this idea, it just shifts the issue forward a few inches. At least touching the ice is cut and dry. Trying to figure out if a skate blade floating in space is technically over the blue line or not with television cameras is drat near impossible. They can't even consistently do it with the goal line and that's approximately 1/10th the size and has a camera pointing directly down on it from above.

shyduck posted:

https://twitter.com/theScoreNHL/status/905548220108906496

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about this, but I don't hate it.

That's a step in the right direction, but you know every close call is going to go the coach's way so the refs can't be accused of deciding the game

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DJExile posted:

It doesn't matter who's in goal when you're taking 10+ penalty minutes per game while having a bottom third PK.

Yeah it's this.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Isn't shorthanded save percentage pretty random too? Or is it the other way around? I always get my fancy boops mixed up

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

I have no idea why people are in favour of this idea, it just shifts the issue forward a few inches. At least touching the ice is cut and dry. Trying to figure out if a skate blade floating in space is technically over the blue line or not with television cameras is drat near impossible. They can't even consistently do it with the goal line and that's approximately 1/10th the size and has a camera pointing directly down on it from above.

They don't use the TV feeds. They look at cameras in line with the blue lines.

The broadcasts always try to figure it out with TV feeds while they're waiting for the decision, but that's because they don't have access to the blue line camera feeds.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

The broadcasts always try to figure it out with TV feeds while they're waiting for the decision, but that's because they don't have access to the blue line camera feeds.

They should give us access to those. It's like they're sitting on the Zapruder film without the two frames missing where JFK gets hit by another sniper. I want the truth, NHL.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

A Typical Goon posted:

The Jets with average goaltending probably would have made the playoffs 2 or 3 more times, I think Mason can give them .915 goaltending and that's all they'll need

Chevy's biggest failing was signing Pavelec. That alone should put his job on the line, because average goaltending probably would have got the Jets into the playoffs at least twice more.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Ya, the Jets look fine to me on paper but I don't see them being a playoff team just because of the division. Mason probably helps, maybe Laine becomes a 50 goal scorer, and maybe Connor turns out to be a star too, but that's a lot of maybes and right now the only team they're clearly better than in that division is Colorado. I'd say Winnipeg probably falls somewhere in the 4-6 range for that division and that's tough when a max of 5 teams could make the playoffs, especially since the Pacific has been getting better as well making "The Central sends 5 teams every year" less of a guarantee.

Actually the Jets were really good against the Central last year. The only central team they had a losing record against was Minnesota. Laine scored a hat trick every time they played Dallas.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

Isn't shorthanded save percentage pretty random too? Or is it the other way around? I always get my fancy boops mixed up

The most repeatable save percentage is apparently all situations. Save percentage has got poo poo repeatability. Short handed is pretty random though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Duck Rodgers posted:

Laine scored a hat trick every time they played Dallas.

Dallas' goaltending being what it was, i'm surprised he didn't score more, to be honest

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I'm looking forward to see how Dallas will do this season with Actual Good Goaltending.

Still need to work on that defence though.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The NHL war room uses a bunch of sources of footage including the blue line cameras to determine offsides and other reviews.

They're not great (partially because there's a good chance a linesman or player/players will be blocking one or both of them at any given time, plus it's still not easy to tell. It's not like the cameras send out a laser that can tell exactly where a foot is in 3D space.

I've used this example before but it's the only clear shot of blueline camera footage the NHL has ever released. Going with "blue line is a plane" rule, is this guy onside or offside here?

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/720432196201394176

It's clearly offside with the "foot touching the blueline" thing, but it's now a nightmare with regards to the blueline being a plane. It's hardly the quick fix solution people seem to think it will be. It'll lead to just as long and complicated reviews, and would mean changing a decades old rule. So why bother?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

linesmen stop dead on the blue line as well, usually rendering at least 1 of the cameras useless

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Duck Rodgers posted:

Actually the Jets were really good against the Central last year. The only central team they had a losing record against was Minnesota. Laine scored a hat trick every time they played Dallas.

too bad they can't play the entire season against their own division then

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

linesmen stop dead on the blue line as well, usually rendering at least 1 of the cameras useless

just give them a chest camera like police wear and hope they don't turn it off to avoid being prosecuted for a crimehide their screw ups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I just looked it up, there's only one blue line camera per blue line which makes sense because one would have to be on the bench unless they built them into the boards.

• Locked thread