Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
When I myself am made of carbon, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if they never plan to go back to Melbourne why not sell that house, pay off the note, and have three quarters of a million dollars to piss away on your wife's dumb rear end MLM company or whatever?

If I were in the Australian property market right now I would be looking to convert to cold hard cash ASAP, that poo poo is absolutely insane.

My parents are moaning right now because our old house, which they sold for $650,000 AUD, is now on the market for $750,000 AUD after a year.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:siren:Bitcoin Client Update:siren:

Seems to have worked once we did it at the daily limits. So I guess this dude is just gonna pull everything out slowly by cashing out one day then transferring the next day. Gonna take awhile, but he's already ahead and I'm super happy for him. He actually said he's gonna give some of the coins back to his buddy, which I told him absolutely not to do for security reasons, but whatever. Good on him. And now I'm done posting about him because it felt weird talking about a current client.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Good for them. I hope it works out for all involved.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah as much as I love to make fun of bitcoiners it's nice that at least someone won :unsmith:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Bad With Money: Implied Equity

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Space Gopher posted:

Oh, it's big business: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/22/business/dealbook/rent-to-own-homes-a-win-win-for-landlords-a-risk-for-struggling-tenants.html

Click through to the article for charming stories of a company that is a financing company when a landlord might be obligated to keep a property minimally habitable, but a landlord when a financing company would be obligated to provide truth-in-lending disclosures.

And, of course, they still target poor minority communities. There's a lot of money in desperate poverty :smith:

Implied equity

I think I figured out who Trump is appointing to HUD next if this Ben Carson thing doesn't work out

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

ate all the Oreos posted:

Yeah as much as I love to make fun of bitcoiners it's nice that at least someone won :unsmith:

And sensible enough to cash the gently caress out!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Sic Semper Goon posted:

My parents are moaning right now because our old house, which they sold for $650,000 AUD, is now on the market for $750,000 AUD after a year.

Yeah they really should have bought the house back so that they bought at the peak of the property bubble.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Devian666 posted:

Yeah they really should have bought the house back so that they bought at the peak of the property bubble.

???

They were moaning because they missed out on $100k for doing nothing but waiting a year?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's the thing with bubbles; even the people who recognise it's a bubble aren't going to want to miss out on the ridiculous profits to be made selling at the peak.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
That happens wth traditional investments too. "Curses, I sold part of this stock to diversify, and it kept going up, up, up!" It's still the right thing to do but feels foolish when you have the benefit of knowing what the stock did afterwards.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 6, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Hindsight being 20/20, it becomes really easy to justify some future terrible decisions.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Hindsight being 20/20, it becomes really easy to justify some future terrible decisions.

I am buying $5,000 bit coins.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Volmarias posted:

That happens wth traditional investments too. "Curses, I sold part of this stock to diversify, and it kept going up, up, up!" It's still the right thing to do but feels foolish when you have the benefit of knowing what the stock did afterwards.

Yea. Sometimes I feel dumb for not buying into bitcoin when it first started and we all made fun of it, but then I remind myself that if I invested in everything that looked on par with bitcoin when I first saw it, I'd probably be homeless. It's easy to dwell on the crazy thing that actually paid off, without realizing that investment strategy would have also left me with a warehouse of pogs or something.

It's kind of like playing the lottery. The day after the draw, of course you know what numbers you should have picked. That doesn't make playing it repeatedly a good choice.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/05/wisconsin-woman-loses-2000-after-being-completely-fooled-by-wallet-scam.html

You gotta feel bad for victims of scams, but you have to laugh a little when the scam relies on the victim's greed and questionable morality

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

canyoneer posted:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/05/wisconsin-woman-loses-2000-after-being-completely-fooled-by-wallet-scam.html

You gotta feel bad for victims of scams, but you have to laugh a little when the scam relies on the victim's greed and questionable morality

Who the hell thinks you can fit $150k in cash in a wallet.

I could never be a grifter, I would never be able to come up with the dumbass scams people somehow fall for.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

canyoneer posted:

Slippin' Jimmy pulled a version of this scam on Better Call Saul.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I have no idea why but this image came up when I was trying to GIS that "Born to swim. World is a duck." picture to link to someone

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Soooooo can that be the thread title? That image I mean.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

ate all the Oreos posted:

I have no idea why but this image came up when I was trying to GIS that "Born to swim. World is a duck." picture to link to someone

You just can't trust the manestream media.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Enos Cabell posted:

ugghhh

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Enos Cabell posted:

Horsemod please trample this poster.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Horsemod please trample this poster.

Neigh!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Someone needs to rein you in.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Need to get the mods to chomp down on these bit jokes

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Hay guys, quit horsing around. Can we get a stable conversation about BWM going?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Enos Cabell posted:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Moneyball posted:

Hay guys, quit horsing around. Can we get a stable conversation about BWM going?

Get off your high horse already.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I've arrived so late that I'd be closing the stable door after the horse has bolted, so no horse jokes from me.

Instead I'm posting about New Zealand's Finance Minister Steven Joyce. He attacked the opposition claiming an $11.7b hole in their budget in the run up to the election. It got a huge amount of press. Then the next day experts went through the claim and they couldn't find any evidence supporting his statement, instead it seems he didn't understand their budget being yearly rather than cumulative. After a lot of debate the only ones supporting the concept of a budget hole were some retarded journalists. The Finance Minster was asked who supported his claim and he couldn't name anyone.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/96582772/watch-steven-joyce-and-grant-robertson-clash-in-fiery-finance-debate

Of course you couldn't be Finance Minister without some understanding of finance or economics, you don't necessarily need a degree, just to understand? He certainly studied economics which sounds great until his academic record became public and he failed 8 economics papers in 3 years. He even failed monetary economics twice by not bothering to complete the course. I don't think you need to understand economics but those DNCs and the E show that he's the opposite of what's needed; he's too lazy.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11917623

e: Bonus video of the Minister being hit in the face with a dildo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s67qsv8ForA

e2: Now the leader of rational policy party (polling 2%) is criticising the nationalistic (anti-immigration) party for having $55b in promises that there's no money for.
http://www.top.org.nz/enough_is_enough_winston

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 7, 2017

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Too lazy to complete the course and too stupid to pass papers? Sounds like the perfect fit for the job honestly, wouldn't want to alienate his constituents.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6ymxn9/trying_to_justify_buying_a_camper_rather_than/

Trying to justify buying a camper rather than stay in a hotel 4+ days a week. posted:

So I work out of town and I'm away from home usually Monday and return home Thursday unless I have to work overtime. Which can be anywhere from 1 extra day to working 20 days straight. Me and my family are basically living paycheck to paycheck with a little extra on the side from my wife working weekends. Brings about an extra 280 every 2 weeks. Anyways, I get 80$ perdium per day, and that it to cover gas/food/hotel. My hotel runs at 67$ per night with my extended stay rate(I'll be staying here anywhere from 2-4years). A couple guys from work have campers and stay at a campground nearby which is 375$ per month, that's including all the utilities. So they are banking the rest of the perdium as take home money rather than having to spend 900+ a month on hotel bill. I don't have the extra cash to dish out for a camper but from the looks of it, if I can get one with payments as low as 250-300. That plus the 375 for campground fee I'm saving almost 300 a month from what I would be paying at hotel. My wife and I are about to look for our first house, so I'm afraid I can't get a loan for a house and camper at same time. Should I go for the camper, and let my extra perdium pay it off within 2 years or so, saving the rest for a better house down payment. Or stick with hotel and get the house loan for a home for my family. My wife votes for house, while I'm leaning more towards the camper. Any help/reccomendations would be much appreciated. Also sorry for the post from my phone, won't let me edit much of format.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
living paycheck to paycheck and buying a house

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

living paycheck to paycheck and buying a horse

Going to be saving a ton of hay. Equine be a good deal.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

living paycheck to paycheck and buying a house

And a camper.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
$80 per diem is awful.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

DJCobol posted:

And a camper.

yeah i mean that's just excessive - the house alone is a god awful idea

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
if the wife's only working part time I'd be looking at moving closer to the OP's work site. If the kids are young enough they can all fit in the trailer all the better. Save up that extra 300/mo for a year and you've got move-in for a decent apartment, plus whatever you'd get selling the trailer. But if he's working on the oil sands or something there might not be schools and amenities families need.

Also sheath those knives, money-havers:

Reddit OP posted:

Should of added the reason we are paycheck paycheck is the spending money we get goes into the house down payment fund.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 7, 2017

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I see New Zealand continues to top my list of "places to request asylum from once the US inevitably implodes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I don't know how you get to the point where you don't know how to spell per diem so you write perdium