Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Well, this just means one thing.

We KICK rear end AT IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
$122 million just to get rekt in a completely pointless exercise.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just saw the bad news on ABC.

Yay, now we get to enjoy months of government approved hate speach before a meaningless loving survey on whether or not LGBT people should actually be treated as people.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the reasoning is 'the executive can do whatever it wants with its slush fund as parliament explicitly authorised the appropriation at the time'.

ps: you're gonna be disappointed by the citizenship ruling too

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Mad Katter posted:

Well gently caress that's bad news.

Actually it's not. The campaign's already happening. We've already seen all the toxic poo poo they're going to put out. Least we can get for it is marriage equality get legalised.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Also loving lol at the precedent this could set.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Should I pay 20$ to see a Tom Tilley DJ set?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

please do not get optimistic about the plebiscite succeeding

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

BBJoey posted:

Agreed.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Zenithe posted:

It hasn't been totally pointless, I mean we've given the bigots and homophobes some oxygen and probably boosted the suicide rate amount Australians by a good percentage!

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

BBJoey posted:

please do not get optimistic

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/lyleshelton/status/905646499505201152

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

"maybe this time, something good will happen?"

no. you buffoon. you absolute cretin. nothing good can possibly come of the black hole that is auspol.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
it's all a big honeypot to see who we line up against the wall first

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

BBJoey posted:

The plebiscite will succeed and then be promptly ignored

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I mean I know cynicism is the rage, but there's no loving way it doesn't come back yes. And it'll pass, because there's no way the entire LNP is going to vote against it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Four years to the day since the 2013 election.

Rip us.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 7, 2017

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Zenithe posted:

Nothing is certain here.

Polling shows support for SSM lower than support for the republic before that referendum in 1999. Support has also been dropping.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
It's not cynicism I think they're just reading the room. People laughed and said there was no way at the suggestion Trump could win, Brexit wasn't expected to get up either, we're having poo poo luck with voluntary polls and conservative minority opinions.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I mean I know cynicism is the rage, but there's no loving way it doesn't come back yes.
Sure this part I'd like to believe

quote:

And it'll pass, because there's no way the entire LNP is going to vote against it.
Lol this is what will happen though

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

drunkill posted:

Four years to the day since the 2013 election.

Rip us.

4 years and a week since I gave a poo poo about politics and lurked this thread. And I'm still pissed NTATA cost me at least 3 jobs simply by being elected.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Synthbuttrange posted:

Lol this is what will happen though
The reason we're having this survey is that a bunch of Libs were threatening to cross the floor in support of SSM. If it comes back yes then I don't see how it doesn't pass parliament.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i'd love to be 100% confident the plebiscite will pass, but just think about how many australians there are who will think "hmm, i support gay marriage, but i'm not sure about this boys wearing dresses stuff". abbott, the acl, these people have spent literally their entire lives obstructing progress and they are very good at it. as was noted, these people have detailed movements with more support than same sex marriage. dehumanise yourself.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I mean I know cynicism is the rage, but there's no loving way it doesn't come back yes. And it'll pass, because there's no way the entire LNP is going to vote against it.

On their yet-to-be-announced bill, which will doubtless provide for a $200 bonus for any janitor not delighted at the prospect of cleaning a hall where a same sex marriage was held, to compensate them for pain and suffering or preserve their religious freedom or some poo poo.

There's any amount of ways for this to be terrible regardless of what this hideously expensive survey monkey process comes back with.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

John Howard coming in and asking for "clarification" around religious rights made me sigh heavily. Those guys are good at being terrible.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

When I was younger I thought Australia was more or less free of the kind of mainstream religious conservatism you find in the US. I can't tell if it's increasing or it was always there and I just never noticed it before.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Amethyst posted:

John Howard coming in and asking for "clarification" around religious rights made me sigh heavily. Those guys are good at being terrible.

This is what will happen. They will attach a heap of "religious freedom" provisions to the bill, which will make it difficult for pro-SSM people to vote for.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

G-Spot Run posted:

It's not cynicism I think they're just reading the room. People laughed and said there was no way at the suggestion Trump could win, Brexit wasn't expected to get up either, we're having poo poo luck with voluntary polls and conservative minority opinions.

It's at like 80% approval. 46% specifically said they strongly agreed in a 7 point scale, that same sex couples should have the equal rights in 2015. It's passing.

Brown Paper Bag posted:

This is what will happen. They will attach a heap of "religious freedom" provisions to the bill, which will make it difficult for pro-SSM people to vote for.

Then you vote it down and introduce a not-poo poo-bill, because you still only need 4 LNP to cross the floor who are completely free to vote with their conscience.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 7, 2017

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Sorry about your dumb wasteful government. I hope this all backfires hard on them and leads to a gay as hell Labor government.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's at like 80% approval. 46% specifically said they strongly agreed in a 7 point scale, that same sex couples should have the equal rights in 2015. It's passing.

Nope.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I have no idea how anyone can make a post like that in 2017.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

jfc Australia. Not changing my mind though. It's passing.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

open24hours posted:

When I was younger I thought Australia was more or less free of the kind of mainstream religious conservatism you find in the US. I can't tell if it's increasing or it was always there and I just never noticed it before.

I feel like it's increased since John Howard's tenure onwards. Then 9/11 really turbo charged the "this religion is wrong, our religion is right" rhetoric.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Heading in the right direction more recently.

https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/904966396970283008

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I'm impressed that the current political climate has become so lovely it keeps making George Brandis look good.

Guardian Au Live posted:

Back in Canberra, the leader of the opposition in the Senate, Penny Wong, has picked up on a recent tweet from Lyle Shelton, the head of the Australian Christian Lobby, asserting the survey is all about freedom and sex education in schools.

Wong asks attorney general, George Brandis:

Q: Is this postal survey, and I quote, a referendum on freedoms and radical LGBTIQ sex education in schools as Mr Lyle Shelton of the ACL has asserted?

Brandis is unequivocal in his response.

George Brandis:

No. It is a survey to determine the opinion of the Australian people on the question that is asked, and that question is should be the law changed to allow same-sex couples to marry.

That is the only question to which the Australian people are being asked their advice.

Wong, on a supplementary, asks whether Brandis agrees with his colleague, Eric Abetz, that the survey is about “political correctness”.

Brandis replies:

No, senator, and I refer to my earlier answer.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Then you vote it down and introduce a not-poo poo-bill, because you still only need 4 LNP to cross the floor who are completely free to vote with their conscience.

Closer to 10; iirc a bunch of Labor MPs have declared they will not vote for SSM and Labour's support for SSM is non-binding at this stage.

open24hours posted:

The world is increasingly turning into an Us vs Them free for all.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

open24hours posted:

BBJoey posted:

i'd love to be 100% confident the plebiscite will pass, but just think about how many australians there are who will think "hmm, i support gay marriage, but i'm not sure about this boys wearing dresses stuff". abbott, the acl, these people have spent literally their entire lives obstructing progress and they are very good at it. as was noted, these people have detailed movements with more support than same sex marriage. dehumanise yourself.

I agree this is the main obstacle to passing SSM. Your average opponent of SSM in Australia is probably not a religious conservative who believes in protecting the Christian definition of marriage, but a non religious right winger who believes gay marriage will lead to the leftist PC police arresting them for saying their baby is a boy or something like that. I guess you could argue that these people have been influenced to believe this by ACL religious conservatives, but someone like Bolt probably has more traction.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also loving lol at the precedent this could set.

Urgent and unforeseen is anything the government of the day says it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Well our laws didn't stop offshore torture camps or intentional refugee refoulment so I'm surprised anyone expected this to go differently.

• Locked thread