Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Abbey Laith, Bianca Belair, Dakota Kai, Kairi Sane, Lacey Evans, Reina Gonzales, Rhea Ripley, Sage Beckett, Sarah Logan, Taynara Conti, Vanessa Borne, Xia Li, and Zeda are all already signed.

Rumors are 3 of the other competitors have been signed so far too.

People don't expect Toni to sign because she's doing really well in the indies right now and is both Stardom and Progress champion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

Baron Corbyn posted:

You'd have a good point if any of the other 31 guys in the CWC did anything of note in WWE but the only people from that doing anything of note are the two guys who ran off to Japan.

I'd argue that all of the WWE employed CWC participants are doing better than TJP is at this point.

Obviously, that's not saying much, but that's more on WWE not handling cruiserweights well rather than the individual superstars. Unless they're going to put the women on their own show that will die a death like 205, I don't expect to see the same results.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

The cruiserweights established a new division and went up to the main roster though, these women are just going to re-stock the NXT women's division, which has people but also has no champion after the last one vacated while kinda putting Ember Moon over. It could really use a MYC champ to come in and be the big dawg, as every yard requires one.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
I don't think every single woman is staying in NXT. I imagine some of them will be going straight to the main roster. I could be wrong though.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Vaguido posted:

I don't think every single woman is staying in NXT. I imagine some of them will be going straight to the main roster. I could be wrong though.

If, as I imagine Shayna Bayzler is going straight to the main roster to do this Horsewomen feud then I think Kairi should win the MYC and be the top face in the NXT Women's Division. MYC title would mean more for her than Shayna who already gets the legitimacy of having Ronda in her corner.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

If, as I imagine Shayna Bayzler is going straight to the main roster to do this Horsewomen feud then I think Kairi should win the MYC and be the top face in the NXT Women's Division. MYC title would mean more for her than Shayna who already gets the legitimacy of having Ronda in her corner.

I could see Shayna doing some explicit heel stuff like using the ropes and Becky or Charlotte comes down to the ring to counter it, letting Kairi make her comeback. Kairi wins, but Ronda and crew beat down the Smackdown gals because of the numbers.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Is it too late for 205 Live to be treated like the UK division and just let most of them gently caress off and do their own thing until needed

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Astro7x posted:

Match of the whole tournament for me goes to (round 2 spoiler) Sane/Belair. The hair whip is amazing, and that 450 had me on the edge of my seat thinking Sane wasn't going to advance.

Same for me. One of my favorite things from these WWE tournaments is when someone with natural heel charisma gets paired up with someone with natural face charisma and you get to see the dynamic work without any extra storytelling or gimmicks.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/CompadresShow/status/905469633557217280

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I dig Toni Storm's entrance music. Reminds me a bit of Freewheel Burning.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Rarity posted:

Ep 5:

Jesus, I thought for sure they were about to job Kairi out after that 450 splash :stare:
That kickout was amazing. Perfectly timed, the best false finishe I've seen recently.

Semi-Finals (Ep8): Mercedes/Shayna was really good. Great story and emotion.

I'm also fully aboard the Toni Storm train.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I dig Toni Storm's entrance music. Reminds me a bit of Freewheel Burning.
It's a not-very-subtle mix of two Mötley Crüe songs; the intro from Kickstart My Heart and the main riff from Live Wire. The black smear on her face is the same as what one of Crüe used to wear(?) on stage in the 80s. It's not quite WCW levels of rip-off music , but it's pretty transparent where it comes from.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

its Toni time.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Having watched the first two rounds and read the who's-signed list, I am perfectly content. Dakota, Abbey and Sarah could step right into WWE or NXT tomorrow, Kairi lives up to her hype, and many of the others can be standouts with just a little time and polish. Would be nice to see a couple of the others sign as well (Piper, Jazzy, Candice) but time will tell and they only have so many spots available for pushes at a time.

Shayna hasn't impressed me that much. I mean that yes, she is a genuine fighter, but in a way that's a liability in a wrestling context because of how much she's obviously holding back. Granted, her first round opponent was greener than summer grass so I'm interested to see how she works with a vet like Candice.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
A major problem with the CWC participants going on to Raw was that, to me, the Classic was done in a different style than most WWE stuff, from the wrestling to the presentation it was more sports-like. When they went to Raw it was "WWE style", i.e. the same rhythm as all the other matches on the show, and something was lost in the translation. So far the MYC matches seem closer to WWE's traditional format to start with so it won't be as much of a problem going on to NXT (though the main roster will still be a risk because, well, it's the WWE main roster and they're not running it very well.)

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Maxwell Lord posted:

A major problem with the CWC participants going on to Raw was that, to me, the Classic was done in a different style than most WWE stuff, from the wrestling to the presentation it was more sports-like. When they went to Raw it was "WWE style", i.e. the same rhythm as all the other matches on the show, and something was lost in the translation. So far the MYC matches seem closer to WWE's traditional format to start with so it won't be as much of a problem going on to NXT (though the main roster will still be a risk because, well, it's the WWE main roster and they're not running it very well.)
I also don't think that it helped to throw these guys on the main roster with zero build to them other than "The cruiserweights are coming!"

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Astro7x posted:

I also don't think that it helped to throw these guys on the main roster with zero build to them other than "The cruiserweights are coming!"

they made the ring ropes purple, what more do you people want??

but seriously, losing ZSJ and Kota really killed the division. All respect to the The Brian Kendrick but he's not a next gen high speed combat guy like those dudes are.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
Do people really not like Lacey Evans; her gimmick, or both?

I think it's a cool homage to the "We can do it posters", with a touch of classy sex appeal. Plus she's got that cool Marine SWAT background, which made actually look up what MARINES call in SWAT for.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's another one that's more of a look than a gimmick. Her character is still just "I'm a mom and ex marine and I'm tough" except she dresses like Peggy Carter.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Couldn't want to see an All-American Girl gimmick any less in these modern times. She's a mom and an ex-servicewoman, which is cool and all, but I'm not sure why I should care about her aside from that. Doesn't help that I don't think she stood out in any way.
At least with Kairi's cheesy gimmick, her body language, wrestling, and charisma make it work.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

NutShellBill posted:

I think it's a cool homage to the "We can do it posters", with a touch of classy sex appeal. Plus she's got that cool Marine SWAT background, which made actually look up what MARINES call in SWAT for.

I think the fact that they push the whole "AMERICA TROOPS MOM USA" thing so hard makes it kinda backfire.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

sleepwalkers posted:

Couldn't want to see an All-American Girl gimmick any less in these modern times. She's a mom and an ex-servicewoman, which is cool and all, but I'm not sure why I should care about her aside from that. Doesn't help that I don't think she stood out in any way.
At least with Kairi's cheesy gimmick, her body language, wrestling, and charisma make it work.

kairi's exaggerated stomping to the corner before, what is it, the forearm in the corner or whatever?

anyway thats my new favorite version of getting pumped up in the corner for a move

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

NutShellBill posted:

gently caress the police, doubly so for Military Police :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Evans' gimmick is almost literally the Liberty Belle gimmick from the Netflix GLOW series, but played straight. And even GLOW acknowledged how easily that can come off as a heel with the wrong opponent.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

shiksa posted:

kairi's exaggerated stomping to the corner before, what is it, the forearm in the corner or whatever?

anyway thats my new favorite version of getting pumped up in the corner for a move

SHE'S WALKIN THE PLANK MAGGLE

(alas, never to be spoken.)

Gaz-L posted:

Evans' gimmick is almost literally the Liberty Belle gimmick from the Netflix GLOW series, but played straight. And even GLOW acknowledged how easily that can come off as a heel with the wrong opponent.

Her second match's attire showed that she doesn't have to go Full 1943 to run with a throwback look. There really isn't an Anti-American Monster Heel for her to feud with in NXT, so I'll take it on faith that she's not going to become Lady Hulkamaniac. Besides, NXT managed to turn Suzie Sunshine Glitter Fairy into Smackdown's sixty-inch monster heel; if Lacey's gimmick wears thin she can be repackaged easily enough.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I could watch Kairi drop elbows all day. They're just that awesome.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

sleepwalkers posted:

There is nothing about her mannerisms in the matches that really scream "wrestling pirate" though, aside from the walking the plank think. If I had not seen her entrance and somebody told me she was a pirate I wouldn't get it.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Astro7x posted:

There is nothing about her mannerisms in the matches that really scream "wrestling pirate" though, aside from the walking the plank think. If I had not seen her entrance and somebody told me she was a pirate I wouldn't get it.

How would you sell being a pirate wrestler? Wobbly sea legs and yelling "ARRRRRR"?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Episode 6:
- Toni Storm's hat is just the loving best. I still can't put my finger on what it is about Lacey Evans that just doesn't work for me, it feels like a character that should work on paper but just doesn't. I've seen moves like Storm's Strong Zero finisher before and never really felt they looked all that great but this particular one looked really good, don't know if it was in the way she executed it or how Evans took it but I really brought it as a finisher.
- I wish Mia Yim didn't have to face Shayna Baszler so early, because I have to believe Baszler is the most likely to win but Yim immediately struck a chord with me and it sucks she has to drop out so early. Baszler plays a good heel though, her line about "All I have to do to beat her is to exist" was pretty drat good. Her manhandling Mia and just tossing her about with gutwrench slams was cool as hell. The finish owned too with the block on the 450 splash being wrapped up into the submission. Cool match, both of them are cool and I hope Mia Yim is sticking around.
- The two sets of "Four Horsewomen" (sans Sasha) facing off might have been the obvious and predictable thing, but it still ruled.
- Holy gently caress Rhea Ripley dropping Dakota Kai's face onto the ring apron :gonk: - Dakota made up for it by murdering her with that double footstomp at the end. Rhea RIPley
- Nicole Savoy geting to be the hoss and just toss Candice LeRae about is cool. Candice just trying to grapple her while Savoy powered through her was a nice story too. Match lacked energy after the Ripley/Kai and Yim/Baszler matches though, Yim/Baszler should have been the final match on this card.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Lacey Evans is fine. She's always just... fine. Her look has a good pop to it imo, and her matches are fine. Some of the stuff she does looks a little slo-mo, like her corner offense against Toni Storm, but it doesn't look like anything she can't improve with a little more experience.

She''s never going to be a major talent, but she seems like she'll be a decent jobber to the stars in the women's division. There are worse fates in wrestling.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Lacey is good (or rather, has a lot of upside), but her character isn't a face, it's a heel. She's literally Liberty Belle from GLOW, but that doesn't work straight nowadays. Mia Yim is great, I hope she gets signed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Episode 7:
- Abbey Laith vs Mercedes Martinez wasn't particularly great, neither woman really impressed and the crowd didn't seem to particularly care either. Not a great outing from either of them, at least Martinez will get another opportunity to impress
- Oh Candice LeRae has to face Shayna Baszler? RIP Candice. Except holy gently caress she has done an amazing job of making me think she might be able to beat her - Shayna's midair counter into the submission hold just like she did to Mia Yim was great, and refusing to break the hold and cementing her status as a heel is excellent. Real shame LeRae is out but she looked great and made Baszler look like an even bigger threat as a result. Amazing contrast to the first episode, it was all action and excitement.
- Toni Storm bridging out of the pin by Piper Niven was a real cool moment and the double bridge/handshake spot was :3: as gently caress. It was a good match but I'm sad Piper is out, she is so cool and I wanted to see her make it further.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Go RV! posted:

How would you sell being a pirate wrestler? Wobbly sea legs and yelling "ARRRRRR"?

Well that's my point. The best characters are ones that you can describe without saying what they look like. Just look at how WWE describes their own superstars in their bios. Charlotte is confident. Sasha has swagger. Alexa is sly and sassy. Bayley has an "ever-present smile". One of those four has the worst gimmick of them.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

People don't expect Toni to sign because she's doing really well in the indies right now and is both Stardom and Progress champion.

She might not sign right now since the timing isn't great, but it won't be too long till she's there. She's said point blank in the past that WWE is her goal, and being successful on the indies doesn't mean she is making any money.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Jerusalem posted:

Episode 7:
- Toni Storm bridging out of the pin by Piper Niven was a real cool moment and the double bridge/handshake spot was :3: as gently caress.
That was really cool, especially you're not conditioned to expect something like that from Piper.

Norwegian Rudo posted:

She might not sign right now since the timing isn't great, but it won't be too long till she's there. She's said point blank in the past that WWE is her goal, and being successful on the indies doesn't mean she is making any money.
At her age there's also no rush to sign before she's too old for WWE. If she's got some things she'd like to do on the indies before going to the fed, she's got plenty of time to do them. I doubt WWE would tell her "it's now or never" as well.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Go RV! posted:

Like this.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Act wasn't a pirate. She was a samurai. :ssh:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
She's not a pirate, she's a yachtsperson. Get it right, people! Complaining about JR repeating the same talking points again and again, but not picking up on them yourself, smdh.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

frankenfreak posted:

She's not a pirate, she's a yachtsperson. Get it right, people! Complaining about JR repeating the same talking points again and again, but not picking up on them yourself, smdh.

Lita said she's a pirate tho, and Lita might be bad at commentary but she's trying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Episode 7 Main Event:
- Dakota Kai as the hoss of the match is loving hilarious, especially since Kairi is beating the poo poo out of her anyway. Dakota looks like somebody who could do really well in WWE and I have to assume they're going to sign her, but there was no doubt in my mind that Kairi was going to win this.

Episode 8
- Semi-Final #1 Martinez' kicks kinda let the side down but whenever Baszler is on offense the match picks up. That said when they break down into exchanging elbows on their knees neither one of them look particularly great. In only a couple of matches they've done a great job of educating the viewer that when Baszler locks in her submission the match is OVER, and it always looks great.
- I know her in-ring career is over but seeing Sara Del Rey there, I wish she could have been in this tournament.
- Semi-Final #2 I found this match kinda disappointing for the bulk of it, though Storm's submission hold on Kairi and the way she kept cinching it in really fired things up nicely, and her double leg drop looked pretty brutal. Kairi's Elbow Drop as always looks fantastic, but that was probably her weakest match of the tournament so far. Nothing against Toni Storm, but she's real young and has plenty of room for improvement
- Post match thoughts It's about the most obvious result but as has been often said, just because it's predictable doesn't make it bad. I'm sure most people who predicted this result did so because it makes the most sense and they're the two best people in the tournament. It's also a great classic face/heel match-up. Kairi extending her hand and Baszler ignoring it to crowd her and try to intimidate her, and then Kairi squaring up and standing up for herself... :discourse:

This tournament has largely been straight-forward and obvious and as a result it's really worked well, who'da thunk it!?!