Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

AnonSpore posted:

I don't suppose there's a podcast of any kind about horror games in specific, whether it's about review/analysis or development?

Mark Kish had one until she left to join Twitch. Since then, none I've seen.

I would love a new one. Horror movie podcasts are a dime a dozen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yup, this looks awesome as all gently caress and I'm in. Can't wait for this.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Yancy_Street posted:

Mark Kish had one until she left to join Twitch. Since then, none I've seen.

I would love a new one. Horror movie podcasts are a dime a dozen.

The tricky part is that so many horror games are such garbage that analyzing them is a waste of time. I've tinkered with the idea of a horror game podcast but if you do it with any regularity then you end up rehashing a lot from the actual good games.

Still, might be worth a good look.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
idk how a horror game podcast would work other than talking about the flood of walking simulators in steam

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A friend of mine did his BA thesis on horror games and how their interactive nature makes them function differently from horror in other mediums. It is pretty good. Took him ages though since he was majoring in literature but had to get really deep into video game studies something he knew basically nothing about beforehand.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

A friend of mine did his BA thesis on horror games and how their interactive nature makes them function differently from horror in other mediums. It is pretty good. Took him ages though since he was majoring in literature but had to get really deep into video game studies something he knew basically nothing about beforehand.

Of all games, I think that horror game enthusiasts are probably the best at analysis of them just because explaining why a game is good is so much more difficult than other types. After all, horror games almost universally have awful controls and mediocre gameplay, so explaining why it's good is all in the deep dive.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The video for Scorn is cool, but I don't know about the protagonist also being a Giger man with weird lobster guns. I really want to check out the story here.
E: I guess if he was Space Marine guy it'd be too generic, but also his weapons right down to the sound seemed pretty "normal" in function. Needs weird guns that don't just look weird. The "thrown into a weird world" would be a little more poignant if maybe the main character was a normal dude instead of a dude in a super bio-mech suit with a spike hand. :shrug:

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 5, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't remember if the Duckfeed goons had a podcast or just a blog called The Hexcrank, but they occasionally play classic horror (and Souls games) on their show.

e: Scorn looks like the proper continuation of Prey.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 5, 2017

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

al-azad posted:

e: Scorn looks like the proper continuation of Prey.

If we don't get sphincter-doors it'll be a missed opportunity.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Firstborn posted:

The video for Scorn is cool, but I don't know about the protagonist also being a Giger man with weird lobster guns. I really want to check out the story here.
E: I guess if he was Space Marine guy it'd be too generic, but also his weapons right down to the sound seemed pretty "normal" in function. Needs weird guns that don't just look weird. The "thrown into a weird world" would be a little more poignant if maybe the main character was a normal dude instead of a dude in a super bio-mech suit with a spike hand. :shrug:

I think the main character was a normal dude, and he's been altered somehow, and he's finding his way around this new bizarre new world. So there's that body horror element of no longer being recognisably you.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

speaking of giger it'd be cool if someone made a well designed first person game that was like dark seed. i say well designed because holy poo poo is the original impossible without having a walk through.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 5, 2017

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Unrelated to anything, Resident Evil Revelations 2 is a big arguement against episodic content for me. I am so glad that I got it as a bundle because if would have been pissed if I got all excited for a new episode just to find out it was the requisite sewer level.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Firstborn posted:

I wonder if there's even going to be a story, not having one would be pretty Beksinski and I think would fit.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

s.i.r.e. posted:

I wonder if there's even going to be a story, not having one would be pretty Beksinski and I think would fit.

At the end you find a mirror and in its reflection you gaze upon true horror. You see Mike Dawson.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Groovelord Neato posted:

speaking of giger it'd be cool if someone made a well designed first person game that was like dark seed. i say well designed because holy poo poo is the original impossible without having a walk through.

Yeah, between the stuff that you can miss if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time and the fact that even aside from that you can wind up in a dead end super easily, it's a real shitter to try and play that game these days. It's a good looking game though.

Blattdorf posted:

At the end you find a mirror and in its reflection you gaze upon true horror. You see Mike Dawson.

Well, that would explain everything.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Hahaha if there's a snake with a buzzsaw top hat in Scorn I'll buy a million copies.

please don't doxx me.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Blattdorf posted:

Fil5000 posted:

Well, that would explain everything.

Drunken Baker posted:

Hahaha if there's a snake with a buzzsaw top hat in Scorn I'll buy a million copies.

please don't doxx me.

Scorn, did you kill Rita?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I don't get it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't get it.
It's Darkseed jokes. Like the joke the developers played on the people who bought Darkseed expecting a good game.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't get it.

https://youtu.be/dxGJXsgB65A

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

:psyboom:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ok now what about the buzzsaw thing :v:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FirstAidKite posted:

Ok now what about the buzzsaw thing :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV1awQwAf2g&t=106s

The 'villain' of Darkseed II.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
The developers didn't really have 'Hey, Really' Giger doing art for them, they only licensed his artwork for it, right?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think the devs working on Scorn understand visual design miles better than the team working on Agony. Scorn is weird fleshy biotech true, but they give you areas to "rest" visually between all the weirdness. Agony is just busy and hard to look at for more than a few minutes. The guns in Scorn make me physically uncomfortable, the sound alone is pretty well done squishy crunch noises. Blergh.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

SomeJazzyRat posted:

The developers didn't really have 'Hey, Really' Giger doing art for them, they only licensed his artwork for it, right?

i'm pretty sure giger was involved directly for darkseed 1 but not the sequel

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm pretty sure giger was involved directly for darkseed 1 but not the sequel
No, in both case he just provided access to his art and the dark world was cobbled together from scans, he made no original artwork for them, which is why the first game's PC credits actually include "Giger's library" instead of the man himself for the art. But Cyberdreams certainly played as much as they could with the ambiguity between "Giger made art used in this" and "Giger made art for this".

EDIT: After digging up some more, the man did have some artistic input into the first game, in that he selected the paintings to be used for the various elements and locations.

Chev fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Sep 7, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The sequel is noticeably lazy about it. One area is a Giger sculpture except there's a poorly modeled zigzagging CGI bridge through the scenery. You can tell in the original they built the game with the art in mind while the sequel they built the game around the art with no thought to perspective or anything.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

What other adventure games are as bonkers as dark seed 2 or harvester?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The Phantasmagoria games are pretty out there, I think.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sanitarium is a bit more serious but has its moments

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Armed and Delirious is out there and Full Pipe is intentionally obtuse with a Liquid TV aesthetic.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Hopkins FBI :v:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If anything else, phantasmagoria 2 presents a gay character in a remarkably even handed way for the time. Shame about their portrayal of bi folks and, uh, all of bdsm. :v:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fran Bow was pretty off the rails, albiet in an Alice in Wonderland way more than Harvester.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Bogart posted:

If anything else, phantasmagoria 2 presents a gay character in a remarkably even handed way for the time. Shame about their portrayal of bi folks and, uh, all of bdsm. :v:

Racism too, the primary detective is "angry black lady stereotype" mixed with the skeptic cop trope. Oh, and even though the main character visiting a psychologist is framed as positive the portrayal of asylum patients is offensive.

That can all be fairly critiqued as "this was a product of the time (which does not excuse it's presence)" but what really kills Phantasmagoria 2 is the completely dense last area/puzzle section, afaik there's nothing in-game that clues you in about what to do.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

If they don't have to be point and click adventure games specifically, I'd recommend Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) and Deadly Premonition, I enjoyed both for being completely insane.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Fran Bow was pretty off the rails, albiet in an Alice in Wonderland way more than Harvester.

Fran Bow got to me at times just out of sheer weirdness and how it would take sudden turns into really dark territory. It's not often that games give me the creeps anymore but that one did, and often.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

That was a weird game.

Spooktober is coming soon and I'm going to power through a few horror games that have been sitting on the backburner, FNAF included (I wussed out by Day 3).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the best part about dark seed 2 is the character is still mike dawson but they didn't use the real mike dawson and made him into a giant wimp. the twist in the second game is so goddamn bad.

i wish there were more freaky games like harvester. what a trip.