Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

Another Morgan lawsuit filed.
I gotcha
https://twitter.com/understatesmen/status/905260932888125440

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm catching up on the debates - just finished the first one and starting the second.

Bill English really talks to a lot of people. How can he still be so bad at it?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
To be fair to Gareth if David Seymour is in the debate he has a case to be too, act is polling at like negative 3 percent so essentially seymour gets a national tv platform to campaign for his electorate seat which is an unfair advantage to him anyway. At least TOP will get some party votes maybe.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Seymour is there because Act have a current seat. Dunne on the other hand is out of the race so why is he bothering to turn up?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's not even comparable though. Seymour is currently in power due to having won an electorate - and due to how our system works, that's infinitely more important than how many more party votes TOP is getting than ACT because TOP's party votes are almost certainly all going to be thrown in the bin on election day given that they can't even muster the 3% bar set by the debate let alone the 5% threshold for gaining a seat.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
If people want to complain about representation and debates how about starting with how we still have National/Labour only debates?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

It's not even comparable though. Seymour is currently in power due to having won an electorate - and due to how our system works, that's infinitely more important than how many more party votes TOP is getting than ACT because TOP's party votes are almost certainly all going to be thrown in the bin on election day given that they can't even muster the 3% bar set by the debate let alone the 5% threshold for gaining a seat.

Yeah but Seymour is effectively a single candidate contesting one seat, his party votes are negligible and will also be thrown in the bin so why should he get a spot on a national TV debate. He should be debating the other Epsom candidates. Neither of them should be in the TV debate.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Taitale posted:

If people want to complain about representation and debates how about starting with how we still have National/Labour only debates?

Yeah that really fucks me off, it's re-enforcing the idea that we have to have 2 big parties and a few stragglers.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Because if he wins the electorate - again - he will have a seat in parliament and therefore is a relevant voice in regard to the direction of a future government.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah but Seymour is effectively a single candidate contesting one seat, his party votes are negligible and will also be thrown in the bin so why should he get a spot on a national TV debate. He should be debating the other Epsom candidates. Neither of them should be in the TV debate.

ACT always gets way disproportionate media coverage *~for some reason~*.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
the big kid debates are about appearing prime ministerial more than anything. the minor party ones seem more policy-focussed.

speaking of, there's a spinoff debate happening in 15 minutes here (with Bennett and Davis)
https://www.facebook.com/thespinofftv/

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Gareth Morgan has a seat on the Spinoff's deputy leaders debate tonight

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
gareth morgan fucks up the literal easiest question

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Kelvin Davis is really bad at debates

e: lol Gareth Morgan: "What I see here is politicians grabbing onto personal favourites"
*peppers his party's policy with personal favourites*

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 6, 2017

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
this debate is awful

jones is just a total charlatan

exmarx fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 6, 2017

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/96510103/the-nz-defence-force-manipulated-the-battle-of-baghak-video

The NZDF edited audio in the video from the battle of Baghak, replacing dialogue with gunfire

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Gareth is done after the election, Simmons will take over TOP leadership, it seems. They might actually gain some ground next election.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Gareth is done after the election, Simmons will take over TOP leadership, it seems. They might actually gain some ground next election.

Simmons is a good guy, I've done a bunch of improv shows with him.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

My brother vouches for him for the same reason, but it's going to be tough to lead the Gareth Morgan Party Presents Gareth Morgan to any kind of post-Gareth Morgan identity.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah I hear nothing but good things about Simmons. I hadn't heard of him before TOP but everybody who meets him seems to love him.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
https://twitter.com/AnaSamways/status/905568655395586048

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

What was there? I'm assuming a political billboard

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
https://twitter.com/AnaSamways/status/904869107769556993

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

National billboard with homeless people sheltering under it.

Edit:beaten

Still it was a pretty good metaphor for the National Govt.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

lol

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/henrycooke/status/905665143924604928

lol 2

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'unno if TVNZ needs more funding, but at least they won't be getting it from a taxpayer.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I feel like a stupid minority for saying this but I think that TOP will actually do a lot better without gareth, provided they don't just collapse completely. I think there are a substantial amount of people who like the idea of a new party with a genuinely different approach to the slowly-congealing grn-lab-nat-nzf spectrum, and if they can manage to actually learn some poo poo from this go around and come up with some meaningful policy whilst also shrugging off the autistic corpse of the cat killer they might do ok.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Another great result for blinglish from Colmar Brunton heading into this debate:

National - 39 (down 2)

Labour - 43 (steady)

NZF - 9 (up 1)

Greens - 5 (steady)

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 7, 2017

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I like that poll, hopefully it's underestimating the greens just a little bit though, too close to that cut off point.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
lol 3

https://twitter.com/ColmarBruntonNZ/status/905672628286898176

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Just switched on the Stuff debate and Bill is just shouting over Jacinda non-stop now

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
The audience are shouting over Bill and it's cracking me up

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Bill English on climate change: Here is a detailed plan that we've drawn up at the bottom of the cliff, and we're working with local bodies to coordinate the positioning of the ambulances.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Guy who couldn't lead his party out of a wet paper bag and got the job via his bosses' DNF is crumbling under actual pressure? Well I never.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
holy shitsomebody call the cops because Jacinda is killing it out there

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Jacinda is destroying him, and the crowd make me proud of my neighbours.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Stuff has a banner headline saying "Jacinda and Bill in bare knuckle brawl" but I don't want to click and find out it's a metaphor.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Stacey Kirk, the Stuff reporter posting comments under the stream, is extremely National-biased and it's starting to grate me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It didn't work out so well for Bill last time he got into a fist fight

• Locked thread