Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Stabbing that one nazi and then bogwashing him was one of my favourite bits. Also fighting nazis on the moon. It's got a lot going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Penpal posted:

Speaking of tired, the moment that completely cemented my love for the game was murdering a sleeping Nazi, when BJ grabs his mouth violently and the Nazi's eyes pop open, BJ let's out a ragged "Wake up. Your dead." and drives a knife through his chest.

The game has so much loving personality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6BaujmeF_4

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Prey 2k17: the living area you eventually make your way to had some possessed folk. Learning about the relationships between the crew was handled the best in this area, but after reloading saves for a half hour I gave up trying to save every NPC because no matter how I played the engagements with the enemies / route myself to the specific person, they die immediately. They weren't even important, I had just gotten to know about bunch of these morally ambiguous space scientists and had to let that one lady's head blow up.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the second run on Nier Automata, some of the locked chests are really hard to find or get to even with the radar chip showing you where they are - apparently I need to start hacking the flying robots before they see me but I just cannot get close enough, there is always one that spots me and alerts the other. It really annoying as the ones I've got so far4 have mainly had lore or weapons so I want them. :mad:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

BioEnchanted posted:

On the second run on Nier Automata, some of the locked chests are really hard to find or get to even with the radar chip showing you where they are - apparently I need to start hacking the flying robots before they see me but I just cannot get close enough, there is always one that spots me and alerts the other. It really annoying as the ones I've got so far4 have mainly had lore or weapons so I want them. :mad:

The potato menu one kinda summarises the game's mood in a single paragraph.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Dark messiah might and magic,i know this game is 11 years old but no toggle crouch? seriously? what is this, 1900?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Lara Croft really began to nark me off at end of Rise of the Tomb Raider.

So the whole game is about this mystical macguffin that can cure all illness including death. Lara starts out hunting for it, but eventually decides that it's too powerful and must be destroyed. The main baddie has lung cancer and quite reasonably points out to Lara that she might have a different opinion on this if it was her that was dying. Lara disagrees and destroys it.

First of all the power from this artefact was used to bring her pal Jonah back from the dead about twenty minutes earlier and second, Lara is constantly falling off cliffs, getting her head chewed off by bears or taking a spike through the heart and popping up fine and dandy a couple of seconds later - what a fuckin' hypocrite! I guess widespread immortality probably has some logistical problems, but way to unilaterally condemn the entire human species to death Lara.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

All humans being immortal would be pretty objectively terrible or it would be really quickly seized by the insanely rich and powerful, also terrible.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

All humans being immortal would be pretty objectively terrible or it would be really quickly seized by the insanely rich and powerful, also terrible.

I know, but someone close to me is dying of cancer so it rubbed me up the wrong way.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

yeah i get that, I haven't seen the cutscene so they could have handled it really badly. Also I used to always think your av was JJ Abrams before I heard the story

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I know, but someone close to me is dying of cancer so it rubbed me up the wrong way.

Yeah, this sounds like an interesting ethical dilemma, but the writers didn't notice and accidentally made the villain too sympathetic.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Lara Croft really began to nark me off at end of Rise of the Tomb Raider.

So the whole game is about this mystical macguffin that can cure all illness including death. Lara starts out hunting for it, but eventually decides that it's too powerful and must be destroyed. The main baddie has lung cancer and quite reasonably points out to Lara that she might have a different opinion on this if it was her that was dying. Lara disagrees and destroys it.

First of all the power from this artefact was used to bring her pal Jonah back from the dead about twenty minutes earlier and second, Lara is constantly falling off cliffs, getting her head chewed off by bears or taking a spike through the heart and popping up fine and dandy a couple of seconds later - what a fuckin' hypocrite! I guess widespread immortality probably has some logistical problems, but way to unilaterally condemn the entire human species to death Lara.

What with this and Mirror's Edge and the 2008 Prince of Persia, I reckon that Rhianna Pratchett isn't the best video game writer in the business

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The fighting in Nier:A seems really... sloppy. The camera is really disagreeable with the lock on, but then in set pieces where the camera is fixed (like the A2 fight) I can't tell what the gently caress is happening.

Games good but I wish the fighting was just a little stickier or something. Like Darksiders or Bloodborne.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Base-Game Dark Souls 3 :

While the combat is technically good it just isn't appealing like the first three games. Blocking is less viable because of the huge stamina loss, and parrying is extremely difficult given the ramp-up in combat speed. It feels like they dialed up the volume to 11, and in doing so all the subtleties are lost. I liked Souls better when it was a varied, methodical, weighty battler and not a twitch-heavy action-game.

The level-design is consistently great, unlike DS1 which took a poo poo in the second-half, and the whole of DS2 which was bleh. That said, every place you go is either a swamp, a citadel, or a mix between the two. There are fewer named levels and a number of these levels share their biomes. On the main path there is a graveyard, a citadel city, a redneck citadel, a giant swamp, a citadel, a catacombs, another citadel, a prison, a citadel with a swamp, and finally another loving citadel. On the side is a rehash of the graveyard, a swamp in a citadel, another citadel, and the baffling return of Lost Izalith

DS3 feels stagnant because it ignores the improvements made by DS1 and DS2. You still can't level-up outside of the Hub, a lot of builds aren't viable like in DS2, the removal of poise removes the point of heavy armour, it keeps acting like Demons' Souls for no loving reason. I groaned when straight up remade Boletaria 3 in the last level. In the next game they'll bring back Item weight and World Tendency, unchanged.

The game is linear as balls. The main path branches only twice. There are optional bosses but no skippable bosses like Capra Demon. You can't do anything crazy like getting a max-level weapon early (Early Dancer doesn't count). The world is laid in a consistent looping manor but it never utilises that fact.

I hate the Hub. It's boring, it's grey, it's home to every merchant, you keep having to go back to it, It's a poo poo version of the Nexus from DeS which this game keeps trying to invoke for some reason. Majula didn't have this many stairs.

There's a side-quest I really hated because it's supposed it evoke Yurt and Lautrec, two characters in prior titles who would seriously harm your game by killing important NPCs if left to their own devices. In DS3 Yurtrec kills a Covenant leader, only you can still use the Leader's services by interacting with their corpse, so in effect the Yurtec does absolutely nothing to affect your game. It's a pointless token references that blows, especially since the game has an original side-quest where you marry someone by stabbing them in the face. They're plenty to able to tell new stories, they didn't need to gob up an old one.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 22:22 on Sep 6, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Titanfall 2 has no borderless windowed option, runs worse if windowed and made borderless with software, and absolutely hates to be alt tabbed if in fullscreen. There's no way to make it alt tabbable without hitting its performance.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Penpal posted:

Prey 2k17: the living area you eventually make your way to had some possessed folk. Learning about the relationships between the crew was handled the best in this area, but after reloading saves for a half hour I gave up trying to save every NPC because no matter how I played the engagements with the enemies / route myself to the specific person, they die immediately. They weren't even important, I had just gotten to know about bunch of these morally ambiguous space scientists and had to let that one lady's head blow up.

IIRC there is a Psi power that can turn off possession. However it doesn't actually change anything as they just fall down unconscious.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC there is a Psi power that can turn off possession. However it doesn't actually change anything as they just fall down unconscious.

The easiest way to disable them is with a stun gun. It stuns them out of being possessed.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Or just blitz the possesseur and they all fall asleep. If you've got full Combat Focus you can usually find and kill the bastard before his minions find you.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Post poste posted:

The easiest way to disable them is with a stun gun. It stuns them out of being possessed.

The problem isn't that, I found. It was that the stupid aliens that posses them will just nuke them if you fight them at all. I gave up trying to save them after I shot one and it just immediately blew up every possessed guy around it.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Got a minor pet peeve. Wolfenstein: TNO and TOB's mechanic of you having to hit a button to pick up health and items actually drags it down for me.

I found it hard to come back to TNO after playing DOOM, because in DOOM there is nothing (outside of hunting secrets) that stops the carnage and action. finding boxes and breaking them to find stuff is cool, it reminds me of half-life, but even half-life made it a minor distraction by being able to waylay boxes very quickly and walking over ammo and health.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Post poste posted:

The only thing I actively looked out for this game was what happens to stunned NPC's and what the consequences of dead crew members were. Nothing really, which made me happy.

Yeah. If anyone remembers the Living Quarters area, I had entered originally and started stun-gunning people in the lobby. Easy peasy. I head to the right of the lobby and enter the Dining Hall and immediately wig out because of the number of people possessed. After deciding to activate bullet time and rush the Weaver I go HAM and take him out early to save time stunning everyone. It's only after I spend time looting the entire area (and drinking in the scenery) I noticed a named npc on the ground without a head and wondered what the gently caress killed him. Having been playing like a (fixes eyebrows) Game Pro I had stealthed all of my encounters with non-Typhons and didn't realise they're a suicide bomber type enemy. I played for another 20 minutes exploring and found that some possessed people will just walk into environmental traps without caring, after finding two dead named npc's who had wandered into a gasline's jetstream. They burned to death, and then their heads exploded.

I've been playing Prey rolling with my decisions so this is the first situation I was compelled to redo the area. Stealthing the Dining Hall and stunning all of the npc's while out of sight of the Weaver was great fun, though.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Base-Game Dark Souls 3 :

You talking about Ringfinger Leonhard? Yeah that quest chain was inscrutable and toothless.

Honestly I would be willing to put "every NPC quest" down as something dragging DaS3 down. 3 actively begs the comparison to Dark Souls, yet throws together these half-assed referential plotlines that are extremely finicky to try and see through to their endings. The theme of Siegward's quest is what? That keeping your promises is good? It felt like they remembered the superficial elements of DaS1's NPC quests but missed everything that made them cool and dramatic.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Got a minor pet peeve. Wolfenstein: TNO and TOB's mechanic of you having to hit a button to pick up health and items actually drags it down for me.

I found it hard to come back to TNO after playing DOOM, because in DOOM there is nothing (outside of hunting secrets) that stops the carnage and action. finding boxes and breaking them to find stuff is cool, it reminds me of half-life, but even half-life made it a minor distraction by being able to waylay boxes very quickly and walking over ammo and health.

Agreed. Honestly for how beloved TNO is, I thought the actual gunplay was also a bit weak. In part because you often can't just go full tilt because you'll run out of health or ammo if you don't stop and meticulously grab everything off the ground. Or worse, use the laser to slooooowly cut open individual crates of stuff.

I can't help but think that part of the problem is the weird three way stealth/run and gun/cover shooter thing it has going on.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 06:33 on Sep 7, 2017

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

John Murdoch posted:

Agreed. Honestly for how beloved TNO is, I thought the actual gunplay was also a bit weak. In part because you often can't just go full tilt because you'll run out of health or ammo if you don't stop and meticulously grab everything off the ground. Or worse, use the laser to slooooowly cut open individual crates of stuff.

I can't help but think that part of the problem is the weird three way stealth/run and gun/cover shooter thing it has going on.

The laser minigun can put holes in crate metal.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance was the only game I could remember all the combos for, so I wish there was an option for you to turn on the combo bar they use in loading screens for the entirety of the game (That I actually am complaining about) in Bayonetta. I'm sure I'm not even pulling off an actual combo half the time.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Glukeose posted:

The theme of Siegward's quest is what? That keeping your promises is good? It felt like they remembered the superficial elements of DaS1's NPC quests but missed everything that made them cool and dramatic.

You can miss the climax to Siegward's quest due to some sloppy event flagging, probably the same issue that prevents certain achievements. This game should not have been released so soon.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You can miss the climax to Siegward's quest due to some sloppy event flagging, probably the same issue that prevents certain achievements. This game should not have been released so soon.

You can gently caress up most NPC storylines easily because generally the quest progression is decided by a combination of number of boss kills plus whether or not you've killed the boss of the area the NPC is supposed to be in. It is super, super easy to gently caress up both Greirat and Siegward's quest line simply by doing the cathedral too early/late or going straight to the pontiff as soon as you can. Likewise there are half a dozen ways to just ruin Anri's quest line without actually killing any of the NPCs involved and the last like three playthroughs of DS3 I've completely broken it somehow so everyone but Yuria just stopped spawning where they should have been. Something especially easy to do if you miss Anri standing in one of two optional corners in the catacombs. Sirris' quest line is super fucky too. The only one I've found that never shits its self inside out is Hawkwood's because his only has like two or three triggers. Killing the Watchers and killing Ocieros plus maybe nameless king? I don't know specifically.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wolfenstein: The New Order is dragged down by its tedious plot, annoying characters, mandatory stealth sections, irritating enemies, manual item pickups and the fact that it keeps taking all your guns away every five minutes. It's a bad game.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Tiggum posted:

Wolfenstein: The New Order is dragged down by its tedious plot, annoying characters, mandatory stealth sections, irritating enemies, manual item pickups and the fact that it keeps taking all your guns away every five minutes. It's a bad game.

Nah, it's pretty good.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Actually, Blaskowicz having to constantly find new weapons throughout the game reinforces that he will find any way he can to kill Nazis and will stop at nothing to kill Nazis, no matter what.

What dragged down TNO for me is that the final boss is really, really difficult, which soured my experience a little in what was otherwise a fantastic game.

You've definitely got to have some degree of empathy to enjoy the story though. Like an ability to engage with fiction on a human level and generally the ability to understand human facial expressions

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
It didn't drag it down but after a few levels the challenge-based progression in TNO wore out its welcome for me. Between having to check what I had to do next and it making me do things I wouldn't have just done for fun, it slowed down the pace and made the game feel clunky. Like the press e to pick up ammo.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nuebot posted:

You can gently caress up most NPC storylines easily because generally the quest progression is decided by a combination of number of boss kills plus whether or not you've killed the boss of the area the NPC is supposed to be in. It is super, super easy to gently caress up both Greirat and Siegward's quest line simply by doing the cathedral too early/late or going straight to the pontiff as soon as you can. Likewise there are half a dozen ways to just ruin Anri's quest line without actually killing any of the NPCs involved and the last like three playthroughs of DS3 I've completely broken it somehow so everyone but Yuria just stopped spawning where they should have been. Something especially easy to do if you miss Anri standing in one of two optional corners in the catacombs. Sirris' quest line is super fucky too. The only one I've found that never shits its self inside out is Hawkwood's because his only has like two or three triggers. Killing the Watchers and killing Ocieros plus maybe nameless king? I don't know specifically.

I was straight up never able to trigger the Patches encounter in the cathedral, despite trying multiple times. Luckily you don't actually need to see him there for anything, but Siegward falling in the well just seems random if you don't.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
The only time I've seen Patches in the Cathedral was when I invaded another player, and he somehow triggered him spawning. The cutscene played for me as well.

Also, DS3 is a mess, and it's probably a good thing that From is taking a break from soulslike. Yearly release cycle did not do them favours.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Schneider Inside Her posted:

You've definitely got to have some degree of empathy to enjoy the story though. Like an ability to engage with fiction on a human level and generally the ability to understand human facial expressions

I have neither of those things and still enjoyed it.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Mousepractice posted:

What with this and Mirror's Edge and the 2008 Prince of Persia, I reckon that Rhianna Pratchett isn't the best video game writer in the business

I'm kinda glad Terry arranged to have the hard drive with all his works-in-progress run over by a steamroller.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just got caught out by another bad ending in Nier Auitomata. I'm still hating that it doesn't save - it says it is but it only saves that you've seen the ending. Any completed sidequests get booted out of the queue, I went from 40% to 33%. Fucker.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Mousepractice posted:

POP 08 was good

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

PoP 08 was either a good game with a lot of bad ideas or a bad game with a lot of good ideas, and to this day I cannot decide which.

It was very pretty, though.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it was pretty great. I like how it eschewed the time waste that is dying in most games. most don't actually have a negative consequence beside a "u ded" screen, why not just skip it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

well why not posted:

it was pretty great. I like how it eschewed the time waste that is dying in most games. most don't actually have a negative consequence beside a "u ded" screen, why not just skip it?

Uh there is an unskippable 1 second cutscene of the princess catchig your hand to save you so I still got punished for dying!!!!