Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Do your balloon thing at the theater and put fake blood in them.

Blood balloons, sadly, do not actually float in real life if you are not a supernatural clownmen. They're actually just heavy, squishy things that most likely will pop in your arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Das Boo posted:

I'm reading the book and wowee, is it ever just littered with the weirdest sex poo poo. [...] I've read King stuff before and I don't remember it being quite this... much.

I read somewhere (possibly here, possibly somewhere linked from here) that It is so weirdly sexual because it largely concerns a group who are on the cusp of puberty, and so, while they're still very much children, the spectre of sex looms large in their lives, an ominous yet omnipresent force not unlike It.

Or maybe King was just feelin' pervy.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Das Boo posted:

THIS CLOWN NEEDS TO STOP TALKING ABOUT PENISES.

But enough about why I'm banned from Denny's.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Phylodox posted:

I read somewhere (possibly here, possibly somewhere linked from here) that It is so weirdly sexual because it largely concerns a group who are on the cusp of puberty, and so, while they're still very much children, the spectre of sex looms large in their lives, an ominous yet omnipresent force not unlike It.

Or maybe King was just feelin' pervy.

Fair but then adult ben starts thinking about the 17 year old child's nipples.

And also why do we have to know about Richie's sweaty balls?

Good book but weird.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it definitely has to be said that the marketing machine for this movie has been off the hook. plus it feels a little like a right place/right time thing.

Definitely.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

CelticPredator posted:

Fair but then adult ben starts thinking about the 17 year old child's nipples.

And also why do we have to know about Richie's sweaty balls?

Good book but weird.

Also reoccurring hobo blowjob.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm such a dork, if I lived in the US I would totally take a trip to Bangor, watch the movie opening night there, and spook myself after leaving the theater walking around the Kenduskeag, canal, standpipe and the rest at night.

Edit: And the Paul Bunyan statue... can't forget that

I'm intrigued by how much of Derry is actually Bangor and I want to know more. Like do the Barrens exist? I see a wooded area on Google Earth where they should be but it's hard to tell if it's big enough or if the geography is suitable for walking around and doing the stuff the kids do in the book.

There's a chapter where Adult Eddie reminisces about how he used to like to walk down West Broadway and look at all the nice old Victorian houses. Stephen King lives in an old Victorian house on West Broadway in Bangor.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Kevyn posted:

I'm intrigued by how much of Derry is actually Bangor and I want to know more. Like do the Barrens exist? I see a wooded area on Google Earth where they should be but it's hard to tell if it's big enough or if the geography is suitable for walking around and doing the stuff the kids do in the book.

There's a chapter where Adult Eddie reminisces about how he used to like to walk down West Broadway and look at all the nice old Victorian houses. Stephen King lives in an old Victorian house on West Broadway in Bangor.

This is a pretty cool article about a Stephen King tour that is held in Bangor, which the writer was invited to as part of a Dark Tower promotion.

Some of the stops are places that directly influenced King's writing, like the standpipe and Chinese restaurant in It, which is pretty cool. It doesn't look like it's a direct 1-1 interpretation of Bangor, but there's a lot of Bangor in Derry.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?

Das Boo posted:

Also reoccurring hobo blowjob.

Bobby does it for a dime, he will do it anytime

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Review embargo has lifted.

Richard Roeper posted:

Andy Muschietti’s R-rated interpretation of the source material is a bold, intense, beautifully paced, wickedly hilarious, seriously scary and gorgeously terrifying period-piece work that instantly takes its place among the most impressively twisted horror movies of our time.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment/no-doubt-about-it-stephen-king-clown-puts-serious-scares-on-screen/
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/06/movies/it-review-stephen-king.html
http://ew.com/movies/2017/09/06/it-movie-review/
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/review-1035328
http://variety.com/2017/film/reviews/it-review-stephen-king-1202547601/
http://www.avclub.com/nightmarish-imagery-helps-it-float-above-a-clunky-scrip-1800670625
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/09/it-review-stephen-king-1201871932/
http://nerdist.com/it-stephen-king-film-review/
http://www.empireonline.com/movies/stephen-king-2017/review/
http://mashable.com/2017/09/06/stephen-king-it-movie-review/
http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...c705f1d23859512
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/09/06/stephen-kings-it-review
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/movies/sc-mov-it-review-0906-story.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2017/09/06/review-stephen-kings-evil-clown-tale-no-laughing-matter/
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/scary-stephen-king-largely-book-movie-review-article-1.3473577
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/arts/film/film-reviews/review-new-adaptation-of-it-delivers-terror/article36182173/
https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/09/film-review-it/

clown shoes fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 6, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Kevyn posted:

From everything I can tell Derry is just Bangor renamed with some places shuffled around, added and subtracted. As far as the basic geography it straddles the Kenduskeag through a canal (though not covered), where it meets the Penbobscot river, it has the standpipe, the park with the bridge across the Kenduskeag, the Paul Bunyan statue, the old houses on west broadway, a bunch of other copied street names like jackson, and the green wooded area surrounding the Kenduskeag right where it should be. I think I remember reading the barrens were inspired more by some lovely dirty scrub land near some industrial park where he grew up in Connecticut, still, the wooded area around the Kenduskeag sure seems big enough for kids to stomp around in playing now let alone 30/60 years ago when it was certainly less built up. Heck, it even still has the 'morlock' holes, however old and overgrown they are now :v:

Visiting Bangor is really something thats been on my wish list for a long time, so, congrats Stephen King on making me want to visit some dumb nothing useless little town whenever I get the chance to visit the US, more than I want to visit New York, the redwoods, or the grand canyon.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Just finished the rock fight part. Goddamn that was intense.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Really encouraged by the positive reviews. I can't wait for tomorrow.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Rotten Tomatoes gets a taken a bit too seriously these days it seems but still... 29 reviews in and currently at 100% fresh. Dang.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'm excited that so many of the positive reviews mention the kids being great.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
35 in at 97%

Gotta account for the fact that the people who received the earliest screenings might have been seen as more susceptible to giving a positive review. But still a great sign.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Nah, its normal critic screenings, and the reviews say its flawed in spots, but still good. I know a critic that saw it and liked it as well.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Even better then.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

The wife and I made a deal: she watches The Shining for the first time and I watch IT for the first time. Sadly she thought Shining was too long and the sound was too jarring. She "liked" it but I could tell she was bored.

IT was the tale of two halves, but I'm still excited to see the new movie now. Tim Curry's charisma is off the charts. Hell, the library scene with Richie had me laughing with tears in my eyes. Still, creepy movie that overall was a fun watch.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

35 in at 97%

Gotta account for the fact that the people who received the earliest screenings might have been seen as more susceptible to giving a positive review. But still a great sign.

71 for 18 reviews on metacritic too, and I'm guessing that score is going to go up a couple of points.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I asked my friend that saw IT at the critic screening if Rodan was in IT, and she said, "no", but that it still takes the form of Mike's greatest fear at the time and makes sense. So, not just a clown, and something different that we have not seen.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Darko posted:

I asked my friend that saw IT at the critic screening if Rodan was in IT, and she said, "no", but that it still takes the form of Mike's greatest fear at the time and makes sense. So, not just a clown, and something different that we have not seen.

They showed it in the trailers. Mike sees the fire at the Black Spot, with all the charred hands clawing around the edges of the door.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I'm just waiting for Armond White's review.

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy
In less than 12 hours I will have finished watching It. Excited as hell!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mantis42 posted:

Blood balloons, sadly, do not actually float in real life if you are not a supernatural clownmen. They're actually just heavy, squishy things that most likely will pop in your arms.

Fill them up 1/4 of the way with fake blood and then pump them with helium the rest of the way?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Das Boo posted:

THIS CLOWN NEEDS TO STOP TALKING ABOUT PENISES.

Mantis42 posted:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Well, just finished watching it and I'm torn a bit only because its always going to be hard for me to separate judging it on its own merits with my nitpicking at things changed from my favorite book of all time.

The good stuff, fantastically well made, every shot is killer. The cast is all just wonderful, Finn Wolfhard IS Richie Tozier in every possible way. All their interactions and relationships and such was done just wonderfully. The beginning with Georgie is everything I could have imagined and more (except Fur Elise! Why have his mom playing a piano on screen and not have her play Fur Elise???). I know there was that leak showing part of it but, oh man... that leak sure didn't spoil things. Most of the scares with pennywise are legitimately terrifying and well done (especially stan's. oh god stan's...), with a few exceptions where there seemed to be too much CGI shake going on, but otherwise was a highlight of the film.

Overall the tone and the feel and the production quality was spot on, and I really enjoyed it but I had some problems. Mainly it felt rushed, and I'm not sure if I just felt that way because I know what should be happening and so my mind is trying to fill everything in, or if someone who hasn't read or isn't a fan of the book would as well. The rest of my nitpicky issues I'll spoiler for obvious reasons.

So, right off the bat, despite Henry and his gang being well cast, well played, and drawing real blood, they seemed like way less of a threat than they did in the cheesy mini series. They didn't feel like a force of nature keeping the losers in hiding, ready to strike, slowly getting beaten and more crazy. They just sort of felt thrown in. The rockfight barely felt like anything at all, certainly not apocalyptic in any way, or pushing Henry even further over the edge. When Henry does finally snap and kill his dad (who's a cop for whatever reason), it feels out of nowhere almost. Henry going after the losers as well is alone, no Blech or Vic with him, and he just briefly fights Mike before being pushed into basically a bottomless hole which again felt, rushed and anticlimactic. While they make it seem like he died, I'm going to assume they'll show in "chapter two" (the first was called "chapter one" in the credits) him surviving the fall and running around in the dark lost, though that book fan in me was really sad to not see henry belch and vic encounter a Frankenstein ripping their heads off while chasing them through the sewers. Overall, Henry felt wasted and pointless, sadly.

Continuing that trend, they went to the trouble of throwing in Hockstetter and then just waste him as a generic bully that gets killed early on, they never even bother to give the slightest nod to his own particular craziness or anything. Again, feels kind of wasted to even have Hockstetter in.

There is no dam building. This one really bugged me because it was one of my favorite parts of the book for whatever reason. In this though, they never get together and build a dam, clubhouse or, and this leads to another nitpick, spend any time in the barrens. The barrens are barely a thing in the movie, I think the only time they're there is very briefly when Ben meets them running from bowers, and the rockfight (which takes place on opposing banks of the river in the movie). The barrens was such a central part of it all, it was like its own character, so to have it kind of just washed away from the story in this film was really disappointing. It also took away anything for Ben to really contribute or do so instead they turn Ben into the researcher/historian who tells them all about the history of Derry from his reading at the library.

Along with that, I miss them not improvising childish ways to kill a monster. They don't make silver slugs, no itching powder, no hurting it with voices or asthma inhalers, they never really do anything like that. Whenever they do fight it they really just beat on It with bats and sticks. I wish they could have kept that as I felt it was really important to show that IT was being hurt by the kids imparting their own imagination onto what would hurt a monster.

The final confrontation is ok, I don't really have a problem with it changed to Bev being kidnapped and them going to rescue her exactly, but its kind of weird to just see this fight where they're just hitting him with baseball bats and rods and stuff, I dunno. Also, I'm not sure how no one found all the missing kids when the top of IT's lair had an enooormous skylight open to the surface apparently :v: The other minor annoyance is theres never a sense of getting lost. It never feels like theres even a danger of it at any time, or is it even mentioned or considered. This bugged me as the idea of them getting lost under the city in the dark, in the sewers was legitimately a monster in its own right to me.

Theres of course a lot of other changes but nothing else really bothered me (at least that i can remember right now). Overall, yeah I really enjoyed it. Derry looked perfect, the kids were all great, and the spooks were spooky and legitimately had me startled and nervous, which is all I can really ask for in a horror movie. I look forward to seeing it again to give it a second opinion.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
That bit about Bev bugs the ever-loving gently caress out of me, holy poo poo.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Das Boo posted:

That bit about Bev bugs the ever-loving gently caress out of me, holy poo poo.

Me too. Stan would make more sense, considering his fate in the book

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Yeah well, the thing with Bev-

It serves as a way to bring them all back together. Act 2 ends with them in movie fashion disillusioned with bill and everyone splits to the 4 winds so with Bev taken Bill has to sort of get the band back together as it were. I didn't really like that just because such a big part of the book was their emphasis on friendship and being there, sticking together with each other despite their fear. The biggest moments of things going bad in the book were almost the times they were on the verge of splitting up.

I'm more torn on my feelings about Al Marsh. Instead of physically abusive, he's now sexually abusive which... changes things but i'm not sure if its a good, bad, or unimportant way. He was always a lovely dude, but passing over into a guy molesting his child is a completely different kind of lovely that isn't nearly as redeemable. There was always a thing with her hating him for being a monster, but loving him at the same time as her father, which I'm not sure can work as much. I know there were always sort of vague hints in the book at least about worry that he might do something like that, and when IT sort of controlled him at the end he was going down that route, but that also sort of tipped him over into not just being lovely Al Marsh, but dangerous, IT controlled Al Marsh. Dunno, still not sure how I feel.

I would have liked Mr. Keene to have his moment with Eddie, which just sort of gets offhand told to him by Mr. Keene's daughter about it being a placebo. Its a weird change because it doesn't make as much sense when Eddie confronts his mom that he just took Mr. Keene's daughters word for it so completely without question.

I wouldn't worry about Stan though, they've given him his moment that should, if done right, play into him deciding to just off himself I think.

My other big problem that I've been mulling over is that they never really plan or prepare in any way. I would have liked to see some delving into the metaphisical aspect of things. Mention the ritual of chud, do the smoke hole, make silver slugs or something. When they did go to neibolt street is was basically on a spur of the moment whim without even discussing it or deciding. Even then only Bill, richie, and eddie even explore the house, the rest basically stay outside. I guess I felt it was important for the story that they sat down, made a plan and tried to do something.

Like I said, its hard for me to separate my book fan grumblings from seeing the film as its own thing entirely divorced from the novel, which is how it should be regarded.

EDIT:

VVVVV Yeah, I'm very much tip toeing around my complaints as I'm overly worried about falling into a "Belch didn't sit on the roof of their clubhouse and fart like the book so the movie is poo poo" trap. I'm trying as much as I can to give it space as it's own thing which maybe leads me to being a bit soft on it.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 7, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Bev gets kidnapped to motivate the boys" is the stupidest loving change ever, holy poo poo.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I saw this yesterday and it is the greatest Goonies / Stand by me remake you could ever imagine. The Losers Club is just so well written, acted and legit hilarious at times. The horror coming from the parents / Derry is super effective, but everything involving Pennywise is just your standard Hollywood stuff. Music build up, silence, the occasional fake out, LOUDNOISEAREYOUSCARED, done. The theatre was sold out and not once did people start that nervous chatter / laughing you usually get after an effective scary sequence because the horror here just doesn't stick.

Strangely enough, I still want to recommend it, because everything else is top notch. This should become a huge success for Warner.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

EDIT: Misread!

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah well, the thing with Bev-

I'm more torn on my feelings about Al Marsh. Instead of physically abusive, he's now sexually abusive which... changes things but i'm not sure if its a good, bad, or unimportant way. He was always a lovely dude, but passing over into a guy molesting his child is a completely different kind of lovely that isn't nearly as redeemable. There was always a thing with her hating him for being a monster, but loving him at the same time as her father, which I'm not sure can work as much. I know there were always sort of vague hints in the book at least about worry that he might do something like that, and when IT sort of controlled him at the end he was going down that route, but that also sort of tipped him over into not just being lovely Al Marsh, but dangerous, IT controlled Al Marsh. Dunno, still not sure how I feel.

I just finished the book, and it mentions, iirc, Al starting to ramp up the physical abuse, and some of his creepier comments about "all the women he needs back home", I got the impression that the sexual abuse hadn't started *yet*. Maybe Al was waiting for Bev to get a little older before he started in on that, and IT controlling him worked with what was already there to begin with.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc

quote:

"Bev gets kidnapped to motivate the boys" is the stupidest loving change ever, holy poo poo.

I know, right? Many fans of the book took exception to those draft scripts which were leaked online but at least the guy who wrote them understood just how important it was for Bev to be with the boys when they finally take the battle to Pennywise! She was part of the tiny group that overcame their fear to go and slay the monster in its lair, not a damsel in distress!

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Sep 7, 2017

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

GoingPostal posted:

I just finished the book, and it mentions, iirc, Al starting to ramp up the physical abuse, and some of his creepier comments about "all the women he needs back home", I got the impression that the sexual abuse hadn't started *yet*. Maybe Al was waiting for Bev to get a little older before he started in on that, and IT controlling him worked with what was already there to begin with.

If I'm remembering rightly It definitely was building up to molestation. Bev notices her dad's beatings have ramped up as she's getting older and her mom at one point asks her if her dad's touching her. It felt like Al was trying to fight the urges with lashing out with more violence and Pennywise just pushed through his resisting.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Yikes, all of the stuff with Bev, especially the ending. That is some bonkers-rear end off-mark stuff. I won't be able to see the film until sometime next week, and I'm still super hype about checking it out, but that's the kind of easy-to-avoid stumbling that seems to be the most annoying part of so many so-close-to-perfect adaptions.

Also regarding Al Marsh: there's a whole bit in the book about him ranting about checking to see if she's "intact" when It takes his form, but I can't remember if that's projection on Bev's part, or a reveal of actual events.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 7, 2017

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Al was definitely about to molest/rape Bev when she escaped from him. It was pretty much spelled out.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

While thats all true with her dad, being subtly nudged at, part of the big sign to Bev that her dad was no longer in charge and IT was there, was when it passed that point. It always seemed a big deal to me that, despite how bad he was things just took on an entirely new level of awful at that point. Whether it would have happened eventually or not without pennywise controlling him, I don't know but its a very different tone from angry physically abusive Al Marsh, and movie creepy smiling gentle caressing molesting Al Marsh. It just makes Bev, her Dad, and their relationship feel very different. Not saying thats bad or good, on one hand it makes him even more monstrous, but doesn't really give him anywhere to ramp up to when pennywise takes control of him. It also, especially when combined with Bev being captured by IT, seems to make her even more of a victim. I would wonder why pennywise would capture someone and not just kill them, but, if they do the same with Audrey in part 2, it could help make a nice parallel, giving the film an easy way to show things kind of running in a loop, along with eddie's broken arm..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, given Audrey, that doesn't bother me at all, since that's already part of the M.O.

• Locked thread