Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Don't know if this was posted here yet but here's an interesting thread on numerology and the final scene

https://twitter.com/fatecolossal/status/904911292531691522

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
so diane accepted the linda persona but dale doesn't refer to himself as richard. What does it mean.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

...! posted:

Those of you saying "Well you obviously don't get Lynch/Twin Peaks. :smug::smug::smug:" and/or "Twin Peaks obviously isn't for you. :smug::smug::smug:" to anyone who criticizes anything about this season are gigantic douchebags who need to learn that it's OK for people to have different opinions than you. It's especially insulting when you say it to people who are huge fans of the original series. gently caress you. Grow up.

Lynch is not some kind of god who creates perfect works that are above criticism. There are many, many things that he handled poorly with this season, the most glaring being the gigantic number of storylines that went absolutely nowhere and didn't have an ending. That's the big problem with the season. It didn't have a bad or disappointing ending; it had no ending, which is bad storytelling and makes the entire thing pointless and a waste of time to watch. If it's merely the end of a season then that criticism is invalid but if it's the end of the entire series (which is more likely), it's an insult to the viewer.

Obviously you don't get Twin Peaks

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

quadpus posted:

^ I can't believe the 3/15 theory came true. It didn't really seem plausible before, because we thought Cooper was already here, he just needed to wake up. But no, what was really necessary was for him to retrieve his consciousness from the "15" outlet.

The numbers over the sockets also look a lot like the 6 on the nefarious roaming phone pole that shows up by the Chalfont's trailer in Fire Walk With Me and outside Carrie Page's house. No idea what that could mean, of course.

Rewatching this season there's a lot of stuff that couldn't be picked up on without later info. The scene where Sarah watches the lions eat the water buffalo on tv happens immediately after Cooper is shot out of the glass box and starts falling again; chronologically immediately after he leaves is when the experiment shows up and kills Sam and Tracy in a similar fashion to the water buffalo. I also hadn't noticed Mother/experiment was holding and examining a tulpa seed when she's in the box, which she quickly puts away when she notices Sam and Tracy looking at her.

Or how Naido is so excited and desperate to communicate with Cooper when she realizes who is when they meet, and willingly sacrifices herself to throw the lever that adjusts the room below.

Laura also gets whisked away from Cooper in a manner nearly identical to how Diane's tulpa or Dougie get yanked to the Lodge.

It's a little easier to make sense of the timeline of things this go around too, knowing a lot of the earlier Lodge scenes are probably taking place in the latter episodes (except not really because I guess time doesn't matter so much there).

What was up with the arm's doppelgänger though? That's the only time we ever see a Lodge resident have a doppelgänger, right? Could that explain why sometimes the Man From Another Place seemed to be playing both sides in the original series?

I've also been mulling over the part where Laura gets pulled away; it's the only time we're ever shown what's behind the curtains of the Lodge and it's just an endless void with the horse behind it. In Carrie's house the blue plate and horse figurine forming an eye makes me wonder about the horse as a representation of being watched. Something behind the walls of the Lodge watches what's going on, and something has been watching Sarah Palmer back through the original series.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

...! posted:

Those of you saying "Well you obviously don't get Lynch/Twin Peaks. :smug::smug::smug:" and/or "Twin Peaks obviously isn't for you. :smug::smug::smug:" to anyone who criticizes anything about this season are gigantic douchebags who need to learn that it's OK for people to have different opinions than you. It's especially insulting when you say it to people who are huge fans of the original series. gently caress you. Grow up.

Lynch is not some kind of god who creates perfect works that are above criticism. There are many, many things that he handled poorly with this season, the most glaring being the gigantic number of storylines that went absolutely nowhere and didn't have an ending. That's the big problem with the season. It didn't have a bad or disappointing ending; it had no ending, which is bad storytelling and makes the entire thing pointless and a waste of time to watch. If it's merely the end of a season then that criticism is invalid but if it's the end of the entire series (which is more likely), it's an insult to the viewer.

It's fine if you don't like it but saying it's insulting is... maybe its u who should grow up, ever think about that??

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Anyone got any thoughts about how Ronette Pulaski being called "American Woman" in the credits relates to the "American Woman" song that plays when Diane's tulpa "wakes up"?

Does that phrase come up anywhere else this season?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Kurtofan posted:

so diane accepted the linda persona but dale doesn't refer to himself as richard. What does it mean.

The Fireman successfully prepped him to avoid falling into the trap of continuing on as Richard and forgetting he's Dale?

eshock posted:

Anyone got any thoughts about how Ronette Pulaski being called "American Woman" in the credits relates to the "American Woman" song that plays when Diane's tulpa "wakes up"?

The same song is played the first time we see Coop's doppelgänger as he's driving to the hillbilly house to get Darya and Ray.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
Phoebe Augustine's character is "American Girl" but yeah

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Raxivace posted:

I could understand thinking Annie made more sense than Diane, but Cooper just flatout never had any kind of interest in Audrey in the original series.

She had an interest in him; the story of Diane in the show hinges on her interest in him, not on his interest in her.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Sanschel posted:

The numbers over the sockets also look a lot like the 6 on the nefarious roaming phone pole that shows up by the Chalfont's trailer in Fire Walk With Me and outside Carrie Page's house. No idea what that could mean, of course.

Rewatching this season there's a lot of stuff that couldn't be picked up on without later info. The scene where Sarah watches the lions eat the water buffalo on tv happens immediately after Cooper is shot out of the glass box and starts falling again; chronologically immediately after he leaves is when the experiment shows up and kills Sam and Tracy in a similar fashion to the water buffalo. I also hadn't noticed Mother/experiment was holding and examining a tulpa seed when she's in the box, which she quickly puts away when she notices Sam and Tracy looking at her.

Or how Naido is so excited and desperate to communicate with Cooper when she realizes who is when they meet, and willingly sacrifices herself to throw the lever that adjusts the room below.

Laura also gets whisked away from Cooper in a manner nearly identical to how Diane's tulpa or Dougie get yanked to the Lodge.

It's a little easier to make sense of the timeline of things this go around too, knowing a lot of the earlier Lodge scenes are probably taking place in the latter episodes (except not really because I guess time doesn't matter so much there).

What was up with the arm's doppelgänger though? That's the only time we ever see a Lodge resident have a doppelgänger, right? Could that explain why sometimes the Man From Another Place seemed to be playing both sides in the original series?

I've also been mulling over the part where Laura gets pulled away; it's the only time we're ever shown what's behind the curtains of the Lodge and it's just an endless void with the horse behind it. In Carrie's house the blue plate and horse figurine forming an eye makes me wonder about the horse as a representation of being watched. Something behind the walls of the Lodge watches what's going on, and something has been watching Sarah Palmer back through the original series.

This is really interesting! A rewatch is totally in order!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

...! posted:

:qq:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

eshock posted:

It's actually American Girl

edit: beaten

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

twin peaks: good or bad?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

Yes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Sanschel posted:

Could it be that she made a tulpa of Sarah Palmer, which explains why Hawk heard something inside the house when he went to see her?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

...! posted:

It does have an ending, though. It just wasn't the one you wanted or expected. There have been many arguments made as to why this could, in fact, represent a good ending for the series as a whole.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Hank is by far the worst character on rewatch. Also i think Audrey is trapped in Invitation to Love

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The worst character was the drug addict kid who shoots himself

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

the worst character is the blond dougiewife

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
She is the best one you idiot.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The worst character is Windom Earle everyone knows this

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nah the worst character is the femme fatale James dates,, the best character is Janey-E

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

The worst character is Windom Earle everyone knows this

Second worst. Worst was the lady with the hosed up grill in James' 'leaving Twin Peaks' subplot.

e:fb

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

At least earl dresses up in random costumes for comedy, hank is just a weird piece of poo poo who sucks dominoes.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hank shot Leo and got comically beat up by Nadine though, that redeems him just enough to take him out of 'worst character' bracket

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Ok you're right about the James subplot chick but something about hank sucking that domino just makes me hate him big time. Its just so weird, how am I supposed to take that poo poo seriously? And when he sends Josie the drawing of the domino and she freaks out I just chuckle. Hank and Leo I wonder what their parents were like.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Escobarbarian posted:

It does have an ending, though. It just wasn't the one you wanted or expected. There have been many arguments made as to why this could, in fact, represent a good ending for the series as a whole.

It's funny how every season of Twin Peaks seems to focus on Cooper trying to reinstate the status quo, only for everything to devolve into chaos. First it was the soap drama culminating at the end of season one. Then it was the Lodge taking control with soap drama on top. Now, it's an entire separate world with a logic and power seemingly even beyond the Fireman's understanding, but soap drama possibly doesn't exist anymore. Watching season three's ending in comparison to season two is mainly about the scope of the chaos being created.

For it to be a proper ending, the outcome needs to be appreciably different to every other season of Twin Peaks. Really, the thing that Twin Peaks withholds from us is harmony, and, in my mind, the show isn't over until harmony is reinstated. Season three doesn't have a proper ending because it's like a romantic comedy without everybody marrying. We're just continuously stuck at the bit where the characters get really mad at one another, and it looks like all is lost.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Ok you're right about the James subplot chick but something about hank sucking that domino just makes me hate him big time. Its just so weird, how am I supposed to take that poo poo seriously? And when he sends Josie the drawing of the domino and she freaks out I just chuckle. Hank and Leo I wonder what their parents were like.

Catherine is the worst. How dare she treat my sweet Pete that way? Josie is second worst for shooting Coop. gently caress her, too. I'm glad she's a doorknob, now.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Catherine is a bad person but entertaining. Josie was boring and pointless literally the best thing with her was the :wtc: moment of her turning into a droor knob.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Here's a question: out of everyone Lynch could show from the pilot after Laura's dead body vanishes, he chooses Josie. Just Josie. Why? Did he just like the shot? Maybe he felt bad that he didn't put her in after she petitioned for it?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

She's just there because that was the first scene from the show. It's easy to forget, but Josie was the very first character to appear onscreen, so going back to that shot of her is a way of establishing time/place.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

How dare you disrespect Piper Laurie like that smdh

e: also joan chen is a baller, but josie was p awful, if entertaining. drat nice to look at, too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah it's the opening shot of the drat show!

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Id also argue that s2 donna is pretty bad, though not the worst.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Also, Piper Laurie is the only person other than Kyle MacLachlan to win an acting award for the show, with a Golden Globe. Sherilyn Fenn was nominated in the same category. Catherine a best.

Season 2 Donna was p bad, but at least she gave Audrey something to do that wasn't hanging out with Billy Zane, I guess. I kind of always really liked the rare Audrey and Donna scenes in season 1, so it was nice they got up to some soap opera nonsense in s2.

Speaking of awards, I wonder who all will be nominated for Twin Peaks this year. Kyle obvs, probably Dern.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Lynch definitely gets a directing nod, too - probably a co-writing one with Frost too and definitely a sound design nomination (if they even do those at the drat emmys/globes i dunno).

I don't think Peaks really gets much if ANY acting nominations except for Maclachlan, but I except the show itself and Lynch to clean up.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Supercar Gautier posted:

She's just there because that was the first scene from the show. It's easy to forget, but Josie was the very first character to appear onscreen, so going back to that shot of her is a way of establishing time/place.

Lynch could have chosen to edit this scene and the ones from FWWM down, but he didn't. Maybe it's his commitment to the whole "We live inside a dream" idea. If film is like a dream, then the reality of the dream only consists of the shots we see. If you remove a single thing, that part has dropped out of existence.

esperterra posted:

Also, Piper Laurie is the only person other than Kyle MacLachlan to win an acting award for the show, with a Golden Globe. Sherilyn Fenn was nominated in the same category. Catherine a best.

We're discussing worst characters, not worst actors. James takes that award by storm.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

kaworu posted:

Lynch definitely gets a directing nod, too - probably a co-writing one with Frost too and definitely a sound design nomination (if they even do those at the drat emmys/globes i dunno).

I don't think Peaks really gets much if ANY acting nominations except for Maclachlan, but I except the show itself and Lynch to clean up.

Technical and directing are a given, I think. I'm curious which other performances they might submit, if any.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

And More posted:

We're discussing worst characters, not worst actors. James takes that award by storm.

I know. I'm saying Catherine is a delight to watch b/c Piper Laurie is such a good actor.

James is certainly the worst actor, no questions asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Bobby's actor should get an award just for facial expressions. I would've liked very much to see his reaction to Shelly's and possibly his daughter being possibly murdered.