Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

just give them a chest camera like police wear and hope they don't turn it off to avoid being prosecuted for a crimehide their screw ups

"Odd, the camera keeps 'malfunctioning' when Subban or Byfuglien defend the blue line"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/TSN_Sports/status/905794303141838848

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

feels like the NHL should just assign some neutral observers to like press a red button or something if a play is blindingly obviously offsides to the naked eye, a la the infamous danny briere goal, which triggers a review. no coach's challenge. doesn't seem like the concussion spotters have much work on their plates, maybe just add it to their responsibilities lol

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

lmao

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

You can serve your four games or we can give you 40 seconds in the booth with George.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Maybe a guy from Princeton who spent his time punching people will take head injuries seriously?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

Two inches on or offside is such a minor factor in the game it should never be reviewable. Let the refs call it as they see it and move on with life because if you get scored on I guarantee the fuckup was somewhere else on the ice and you just looking for excuses.

Then pay attention to poo poo that actually makes the game stupid, like defensive zone delay of game or defensive interference on a dump in.

Yeah, this. If you can't make a decision without watching a video for 10 minutes, it was close enough. Just keep out the obvious ones like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7pN56VZOfM

I guess the 2 min penalty might be good at discouraging the close ones but man, with that on the line the officials are going to take extra long on any that do get challenged.

Also, Parros seems like a smart guy.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Charlie O'Connor has a fantastic article on the Athletic today about the flyers neutral zone scoring, and also helped put this together and holy christ jordan weal

quote:

Jordan Weal’s ridiculous success in terms of driving play at the tail end of the 2016-17 season rightfully raised eyebrows. Skeptics charged that considering his age and previous inability to carve out a full-time role in the NHL, Weal’s stellar performance (a team-high 56.19 percent Fenwick For%) was likely a fluke. If that is truly the case, it does not show up in his Neutral Zone Score. Weal does have a 1.15 percentage point gap in a positive direction between his NZS and Fenwick, but a 55.04 percent Neutral Zone Score is still easily the best from a Flyers player with at least 200 minutes played at 5-on-5 last season. Jordan Weal may not be able to repeat his ridiculous close to the 2016-17 season, but it won’t be explained by the fact that he got “lucky” during that 23-game run.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

I just looked it up, there's only one blue line camera per blue line which makes sense because one would have to be on the bench unless they built them into the boards.

Considering the absurdly high resolution cameras everyone is carrying around in their pocket these days, this does not seem like a hard problem to solve. If the NHL genuinely gave a poo poo about recording every millimeter of ice around the crease or blue line, they could. Put cameras in the boards, put cameras under the ice, put cameras in the goal posts, hang cameras from the rafters.

F1 racing mandates four cameras on every single car and they manage to get good video off vehicles moving at 200 mph, plus the standard stationary cameras. NHL has no legitimate excuse in terms of technology, the only reason it hasn't been done is the owners don't care.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DJExile posted:

Charlie O'Connor has a fantastic article on the Athletic today about the flyers neutral zone scoring, and also helped put this together and holy christ jordan weal

If he can't repeat it, it's almost certainly because he "got lucky" during a small sample of games. I wonder how he looks vs his teammates if you take the best consective 20 game set from each player.

Weal could be for real but he's going to have a tough time cracking the top 6 for the Flyers considering the draft pedigree boost guys like Patrick and Konecny will get. He needs to be an impact guy very quick this year and solidify a spot, because next year that spot will be gone.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

The NHL war room uses a bunch of sources of footage including the blue line cameras to determine offsides and other reviews.

They're not great (partially because there's a good chance a linesman or player/players will be blocking one or both of them at any given time, plus it's still not easy to tell. It's not like the cameras send out a laser that can tell exactly where a foot is in 3D space.

I've used this example before but it's the only clear shot of blueline camera footage the NHL has ever released. Going with "blue line is a plane" rule, is this guy onside or offside here?

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/720432196201394176

It's clearly offside with the "foot touching the blueline" thing, but it's now a nightmare with regards to the blueline being a plane. It's hardly the quick fix solution people seem to think it will be. It'll lead to just as long and complicated reviews, and would mean changing a decades old rule. So why bother?

Maybe they should use cameras > 120p.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Maybe they should use cameras > 120p.

Or they could use the horse race finish cameras that are constantly taking pictures 1 pixel wide and stitching them all together giving the dumbass refs a single picture to look at instead of trying to scrub frame by frame through a video on an ipad.

Also go red rover rules. the offside is cancelled and can't be reviewed if the puck carrier takes the puck behind the goal line.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Parros went to Princeton but that still doesn't justify putting a punchman in a player safety role

The NHL is even more stupid and callous about brain damage than football at this point. The NFL is trying to cover up the cumulative effects of a lifetime of playing their sport, the NHL won't even do anything about single and immediate violent injuries.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They've always had dirty players in charge of DOPS.

Most punchmen are probably less dirty than Shanahan and Pronger.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

His degree is in economics. Here are the reasons why he should be in charge of player health and safety:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
If the goal is education/rehabilitation (for lack of a better term) then having a guy who used to be a goon, and can probably empathize better with a lot of the guys who will be offenders, makes sense. Having a guy who can say "Hey I understand you think you're doing your job, I was doing the same thing when I was in the league, but this is why it's wrong blah blah blah, and that's why you're being suspended 6 games" might be a bigger net positive. I think people point out that he went to Princeton primarily as shorthand for "he's not a retard like most hockey players and former hockey players" - I don't think having someone thoughtful and articulate in the role is a bad thing.

Anyway I'm looking forward to preseason starting because talking about this league minutiae is loving boring and I hate it but I won't stop.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
gently caress the offsides challenge, george parros is cool, and gently caress the penguins

Thufir
May 19, 2004

yellowcar posted:

His degree is in economics. Here are the reasons why he should be in charge of player health and safety:

They're never going to hire a non-player to do it so he's probably at least as qualified as anyone else they would consider.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Which goes to show that still give no fucks about the well being of their players.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

yellowcar posted:

Which goes to show that still give no fucks about the well being of their players.

Well if they do it could be used against them in a lawsuit.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

grack posted:

Well if they do it could be used against them in a lawsuit.

Remedial actions are not admissible evidence for this exact reason

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I love the brilliant logic of goes: guy plays hockey all his life QED he must be good at any position with the word 'hockey' in it.

Speaking of idiots running things, are there any women working in the NHL in any meaningful capacity? I have a faint memory of a woman assistant trainer or something for a big club but a cursory google search just brings up a thousands articles about that one pre-season game Rhéaume played in a quarter century ago.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/HeyBarber/status/905858320468193287

mcdavid out here abusing children

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Any opportunity to post this is a good one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JoelJoel posted:

I love the brilliant logic of goes: guy plays hockey all his life QED he must be good at any position with the word 'hockey' in it.

Speaking of idiots running things, are there any women working in the NHL in any meaningful capacity? I have a faint memory of a woman assistant trainer or something for a big club but a cursory google search just brings up a thousands articles about that one pre-season game Rhéaume played in a quarter century ago.

On the corporate side their current CMO (Marketing) is Heidi Browning. She used to work for Pandora.

Toronto hired Barbara Underhill as a skating coach a few years back but I don't know if she's still with them. She's probably the one you're thinking of.

Edit: Looks like she still is. This article is from June. She also works for Tampa.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/video-maple-leafs-skating-coach-teaches-canada-skate-backwards/

Dawn Braid is a skating coach in Arizona. She's considered the first actual coach, Underhill is more of a consultant I guess.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 7, 2017

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Aphrodite posted:

On the corporate side their current CMO (Marketing) is Heidi Browning. She used to work for Pandora.

Toronto hired Barbara Underhill as a skating coach a few years back but I don't know if she's still with them. She's probably the one you're thinking of.

Edit: Looks like she still is. This article is from June. She also works for Tampa.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/video-maple-leafs-skating-coach-teaches-canada-skate-backwards/

Dawn Braid is a skating coach in Arizona. She's considered the first actual coach, Underhill is more of a consultant I guess.

Neat, thanks. It's, uh, a start, I guess.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/TomAWillis/status/905866359778795521

bummer

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

uh gently caress what the hell happened

also gently caress this means Emelin gets significant ice time

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Offseason knee injury is all I've heard.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

yellowcar posted:

also gently caress this means Emelin gets significant ice time

Like that wasn't gonna happen anyways?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Offseason knee injury is all I've heard.

Ooh I bet there's a good story. EJ quality maybe.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Edmonton had Haley Wickenheiser or however you spell that as an assistant coach for a prospect skills camp or some poo poo like that this summer I think

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

From what I read, Dawn Braid had worked as a consultant with a bunch of teams. Arizona hired her as an actual skating coach though, making her the first female on an NHL coaching staff.

Barbara Underhill works in a similar consultant role with Toronto and Tampa.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Ooh I bet there's a good story. EJ quality maybe.

I think his knee was hurt in the playoffs so maybe overdid it rehabbing that?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Any opportunity to post this is a good one.

hahahaha i forgot about that

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Thufir posted:

I think his knee was hurt in the playoffs so maybe overdid it rehabbing that?

Boring

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Watch, the Preds somehow fix Emelin.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

yellowcar posted:

uh gently caress what the hell happened

lingering effects https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gj7zcrJllE